Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I wean off the Chaos Drug?

[member="Darth Ferus"] Because I love you guyz too much ;.;

jk, I'm just finishing my threads to be finished there, and then I lift me arse out of here ferever!

lorax-flying-away-o.gif

Stephanie Swail

Look what they've done to my dream
[member="Darth Voracitos"] - It's all been said before, but this is a faceless website at the end of the day. It will continue to lumber forward with new faces that come when we decide to leave or not.

Listen, and understand. The SWRP site is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are....well, you get the idea.

:)

BASICALLY just follow your heart. The answer is that we love you enough to let you go and enjoy your youth, make the best of the time while you can and support you in everything you do as a big RP family, which is what we are.

We've never crossed paths but I automatically appreciate you for being here on the site and lending your creativity and passion to make it what it is, but not when you feel torn between the site and your real life; that shouldn't be the case for you to worry.

I wish you the best of luck and you KNOW we will be here when and if you ever return in moderation once you've found new priorities in life.

Enjoy your life - enjoy being you. This is au revoir, not goodbye!

Best wishes to you my friend.

15rgyf8.gif

Okay, I'm going to write a fair bit here, so people who don't like that sort of thing: leave now.

Before I came to chaos I was involved in another RP. It's impossible to explain, but in the simplest terms it was like nation states--we controlled fake nations instead of characters. It started out as a lot of fun, but soon it began to get pretty serious and pretty nasty. The leadership team was corrupt and abused their power. Ever expanding groups of the community started taking sides. Members of the community hated each other, and there was plenty of flaming. What it boiled down to was a sort of forum war--centered in IC and spilling over into OOC. Each side disliked the other and were resolved to win in the IC side of things. I was the leader of the anti-admin side. I believed, and I must say I continue to believe, that they were corrupt and hypocritical, that they abused their powers, that they ruined the site for everybody. And so RPing took up more and more of my time, and I can say with almost complete certainty that I was addicted. It was an odd addiction. I didn't find it immensely fun, per se, and as I went on I found it less and less fun as the OOC politics continued. The truth was I had a vendetta and I was resolved to win--even no there were no defined terms of "winning"--so that the other guys did not. I was there to prove a point--not to have fun.

This continued on for several months. I succeeded in two separate RPing sessions, but then, eventually, I realized that there was no fun left in it for me. I was sick of it, sick of people taking everything so seriously, sick of matters that should have been IC spilling over to OOC. I was tired of fighting a battle--and that was what I was doing, both IC and OOC--that had no purpose. The best that could happen if I "won" again would be I would get the privilege of doing it all over again, and it had worn me down. So I quit, I left, and I found myself quite refreshed. I really enjoyed not doing it any more. And then I found this site.

When I first stumbled across it, it was like my dreams had come true. Here was a RPing forum, it seemed, where people were RPing just for fun. It was bigger, bolder, and better in every way than my previous RPing forum. Over time, I discovered that it was not so perfect as I imagined. There are arguments; there are grudges. But it is not, I must say, anything like my previous forum, from what I can see. Here, people do not take everything too seriously, they are not obsessed with the idea of getting one over the other guy. It is still, I maintain, better in every way.

But I have learned from my mistakes. The problem before was that I took things too seriously, rather than treating RPing like what it is--a game. So I don't take this too seriously. I try to just have fun, and when I think somebody's being a jerk, I react differently than before. I simply decide that I have a choice of whether or not to RP with them, that what happens in one thread doesn't matter at all, and that once I'm done with that one thread I'm done with the person I don't like and we go our separate ways. And honestly, I've only had to do this once or twice. The vast majority of the people here are good people, who like me treat this as a game. RPing was detrimental to me in the past--I have no doubt of that. But I have learned how to love it like I did when I first started a couple of years ago.

My point is this: RPing can be addictive and it can be harmful, but so can anything else--eating, for example. You say that RPing these stories is pointless because nobody will ever read them--but that's what makes RPing so special to me. Nobody will ever read these stories. We will never gain any money or recognition from them. So are we wasting our time? I could list plenty of benefits that you get in the real world from RPing--but that is completely besides the point. It is only after thinking about your post, [member="Darth Voracitos"], that I have come to my conclusion, but now I am absolutely certain of it now. RPing, I believe, is the purest form of storytelling. Let me explain.

We are all here because we all love one story: Star Wars. We love it in a way that others can't understand. "It's just a movie" they will say, but to me at least, it's not. It's a story; a timeless story. It's not so complicated that it makes you really think to understand it, and the special effects are not anything to bat an eyelid at by today's standards, but neither of those things matter, because it's the story that we enjoy. And that's the essence of RPing. We simply enjoy the storytelling--we may never get any benefit from doing so besides that enjoyment; that fulfillment, but that's why it's so special. We simply tell stories for the sake of telling stories. I think you'd be hard pressed to find somebody who actually RPed to improve their writing skills. Yes, it's a nice side effect, but like I said earlier--it's not the point. We do not RP to learn how to write any more than we watch Star Wars for the sake of improving our movie making skills. RPing fills a very special niche. When we play a video game or watch a movie we are getting a story second hand--we're enjoying somebody else's work. When we write, we're creating that stuff for ourselves, and you get a different kind of enjoyment from that. But when we RP, we are both participating and observing--it's the best of both worlds.

So yes, RPing can be harmful, but I don't consider it to be a harmful thing. It is, in fact, a wonderful thing that we can all be here together on this forum, doing something that we all enjoy without taking any flak about it. So I truly hope that the trend of community breakdown that I've been seeing lately doesn't carry on, because I've seen it happen before and I don't want this community to die in the way my previous one did--what worries me is I'm seeing the signs. This forum has the potential to be so much more than my last, and I hope we can realize that. [member="Darth Voracitos"], if you know that you need to go, go. Nobody here is criticizing you for doing that, and the whole point of everything I've said is that RPing is a game that should not get in the way of life or be treated as anything other than a game. But remember why we all RP--I think it's important that we all do.

[member="Darth Voracitos"]
I feel like I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum from you. This site has helped me find someone (female) to be with and share with, not saying who however and yes. They are REAL. ;P
Regardless, I wish you all the best in your endeavours.

I find this place highly addictive for the following reasons:
1. Storytelling factor.
2. People I write with.
3. Creative ability to expand beyond what is given.
4. I don't know...

Oh well...I'm hooked.

peter-meth-o.gif

Mate do what you gotta do. I'm off and on with rp really depends on my mood, but it's the community that keeps me lingering. You're young and you gotta do things. So do et :) as always we are here when you need it ooc/ic whatever.

Sometimes you just need to...
giphy.gif

Your still young, like me. We need to live our lives. And as soon as roleplaying gets in the way of real life I usually disappear off of the site for a few days, maybe if this get's in the way of your life then you just need to let the site go, and if you want to see your work appreciated then can I suggest writing a novel, I have seen some of your work on the site and you have the ability to if you want your writing recognized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom