OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
- Intent: A defensive force for the Scintilla.
- Image Credit: The Expanse
- Role: A policing and defensive force.
- Permissions: None
- Links: The Scintilla
- Unit Name: Scintilla Defense Force
- Affiliation: Agents of Chaos
- Classification: Infantry
- Description: A policing unit that provides the day-to-day protection of the Scintilla. Their uniform generally consists of their SDF armor for the environmental protection it provides. In combat their primary objective is the protection and evacuation of civilians and will fall back if offered the opportunity unless there is someone there to defend or if the loss of their position would render another vulnerable. Outside of combat, they patrol or guard areas in small groups, relying on monitoring and the ability to call in reinforcements should the situation warrant it.
- Unit Size: Medium
- Unit Availability: Common
- Unit Experience: Trained
- Combat Function: This group is a defensive unit that frees up the Wild Hunt to go hunting the bad guys. Their primary focus is to defend and evacuate civilians and keep the vital areas of the Scintilla secure. A lack of heavy armor and vehicles make them unsuited to offensive operations away from the Scintilla where their familiarity gives them a distinct home field advantage. When under attack, some members will be issued particle rifles to assist against the heavy hitters among the enemy.
- Extremely committed to defending the civilians of the Scintilla.
- Able to respond to threats and deploy reinforcements flexibly.
- Limited to the Scintilla and Scintilla Defensive platforms.
- Limited weaponry and armor with little to no vehicle support.
The Scintilla Defense Force was formed after the destruction of the H.O.P.E. sphere and a raid by Vagarri slavers on the Scintilla made it abundantly clear that a dispersed policing and defensive force were needed to keep their people safe. Careful consideration was taken to reassure the populace that this wasn't a military or aggressive force being placed among them and as such the equipment standard was lowered to be less than a military's rigorous needs. That being said, most of their equipment was drawn right from existing stores to simplify logistics and lower costs.