Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scherezade Had a Thousand Tales, and This One Might Be about Betrayal

And there it was. The question she'd been dreading. The question she'd have avoided without any elegance if it had come from others. A question she hadn't voiced, although she'd known for a while now what the answer to it was.

"I don't like most foods anyway," she said, still not looking at him. This time though, she shifted her gaze to the lake again, "the few things I do like... I can't have without it flooding my memories of Gerwald."

Meat. Eggs. Cheese. The only things she'd ever truly liked enough to eat. Sweets were disgusting to her, bread felt funny on her tongue, even coffee was horrible to the girl. She could still drink cream from time to time, but even for that, her appetite had diminished to almost nothing.

"You don't have to say how stupid it is," she quickly added, "I know it's stupid. But the few times I tried I ended up vomiting all over myself. So it's stupid, but it is what it is."

[member="Josh DragonsFlame"]

And there it was. Back to Gerwald again. Josh didn’t know where to begin with this. But he did know that yes, it was stupid. She stopped him before he could say it. But he had something else in mind.

“So you’ve not eaten since when you were on my ship” He observed aloud, mulling it over a moment.

“You’ll die eventually, you know that, right?”

He let that question hang for a moment before he spoke again.

“And that’s what you want, isn’t it?”

"What I had on your ship doesn't count as actual food or nourishment," she responded. No. They'd only had salty snacks there, and she'd had less than a handful. But salty chips couldn't really give your body any of the nutrition it wanted.

Josh said she would die eventually... And then asked if that was what she wanted.

This time, she stared at him, the surprise all too easy to see on her face. It was... It was so much more nuanced than that.

"What I want is not to constantly be in pain, not to constantly be bombarded by memories, not to always realize that everywhere I go and everything I try to do has already been touched by Gerwald," she answered quietly, "and it feels like I've been dying ever since I came out of the Darkness. I don't know if I want to die. I truly don't, Josh. But it feels like it's happening anyway."

She sighed. "Or maybe I'm just being melodramatic. But it still feels like it."

"No, you're right. But it's still better than nothing" He pointed out. "Which is exactly what you've implied you've had."

He listened as she would explain that she didn't exactly want to die, just wanted the pain to stop. He puzzled over it a moment, though smiled lightly when she would admit she might just be being a little bit melodramatic. "You might be a little" He teased in turn. But it was a serious concern. She wasn't eating, she was going to die if this kept up. And it was all Gerwald's fault. Well that and the fact that she was the absolute worst at getting over breakups. Like, more than the worst.

"I have a question" He would remark. "Do you ever think of how to keep this whole Gerwald thing from consuming you anymore? Because it's literally keeping you from eating" He pointed out rather bluntly. That was the brass tacks of it, wasn't it? She wasn't eating because of Gerwald. And these memories. "So we've now reached a point of this being life-threatening. I can't even erase the memories, even if I wanted to. Those are too ingrained in you by now. It'd cause too much damage. So those memories are stuck.

I want you to think long and hard on this. What is going to make this end, besides you dying? I can't answer that for you. Nobody can but you. Look deep in yourself, look down to the bottom of your heart, and tell me what you think will stop this? I will help you in any way that I reasonably can. Maybe a bit unreasonably, I think I've already gone beyond that border."

[member="Scherezade deWinter"]

Scherezade nodded in response to Josh's first question. She had thought about it. More than once. But she had come up empty, every single time. Her time with Gerwald had touched more or less every part of her life. Even now that she was taking missions, somehow each of them ended up having something to do with the things they had either done or said. More than once she had considered just getting her ship and leaving the Confederacy territory but... But she didn't really have anywhere to go. There was nowhere to hide.

And now he wanted her to look deep inside herself. There was, actually, a single answer. But she had tried to do it more than once, and it had failed each and every time.

"If I could turn my heart to stone..." she said, "but I can't. I've tried, Josh, I really have. I brought a sword out of the Darkness with me, but I couldn't bring the stony heart back."

Of course she would say that, he was pretty sure this wasn’t the first time they had discussed this either. Josh let out a sigh. Scherezade would not like what he was about to say. But she needed to hear it. This endeavour for a stony heart, this darkness sword thing... These things held her back from recovering.

“Well, you could. But considering how you seem to have been prior to the darkness, and how you are now... You wouldn’t be Scherezade anymore if you did” He spoke. When Josh needed to be, he was blunt, no playing around, he didn’t shrink from the truth or dance around it.

“You would just be a cold, unfeeling monster.”

He shrugged his shoulders.

“I hear they make good Sith though. Especially when they’re torturing children. Need a good old hardened heart to drown out their little kid screams. Takes an unfeeling monster to drown out a child’s panicked and pained screams for their parent, doesn’t it? To do those kinds of things without care? But I suppose that’s what happens when you don’t really have a heart anymore... Maybe you won’t even realize it’s wrong anymore when you’re doing it.”

Josh was mistaken. Scherezade never spared kids because they were kids; she'd simply never been presented with the oppertunity to do so. All her enemies on the field up until now had been adults. Besides, what was a kid anyway? Was she one? Why were others not? A kid who'd lived through the first five years of its life got more life than she did so far, so why would the kid be spared when she never was? Still, it was not the time or the place to scare the krak out of Josh like that.

Especially when she had a better question.

"How I was, how I'm now..." she said, "am I Scherezade still?"

She didn’t even deny that she would. The fact she didn’t answer and had moved on had concerned him too. Either she was still thinking on it, or she just flat out didn’t care about harming kids. He watched her eyes, looking for even some sort of empathy in regards to the example of children, but he found nothing. It was a harsh reminder of what he was dealing with that he had hoped he would not have. And a reminder to remain on guard. He hoped she was better than that. He hoped.

“By what you’ve told me... Yes” He spoke in regards to her question as he tried to push his thoughts aside for now. “You are still you. Broken but still you. By what I have seen, deep down.. I think you still yearn to be loved. I think you still yearn to have those wide, curious eyes and to be able to see all of and appreciate the world around you. But you fear that the world will bite. You fear that people will bite. Your closest betrayed you. It’s not an unreasonable result for you to be like that.”

He said she was still her. Scherezade wanted to protest. How could he know? How could he have any idea? He didn't know her before she broke. He didn't know who she was. What did wanting to be loved have anything to do with it? She wanted a family, her family, more than anything. She wanted to be loved, not just by a man or the man. She wanted to know what an actual family felt like, what to be loved felt like. And yes, she had felt those things before breaking too, but it was everything else that had changed.

She'd been quick to trust before. She wasn't now. She'd been quick to love before. She wasn't now. She was always laughing and smiling before. She wasn't now. She was curious, adventurous, almost happy, before. She wasn't now. She'd hungered for life, and excitement, and new things, and first times, before. She didn't now.

"Actually, you said it's unreasonable, more than once," she said dryly. "And they weren't my closest. They were my only."

"The concept is not unreasonable. You're just taking it to absolute extremes" He pointed out dryly. It was true, he didn't know everything about who she used to be. He only knew what he had seen from her, what she had told him, and what Katrine had told him about who she used to be. But he was trying to understand, he really was.

He was trying to understand her more and more. Who she was back then, and who she was now. But clearly, that wasn't going to be the easiest thing to do.

Josh let out an exasperated sigh and shook his head at that.

"Of course you would say that" He remarked. "I guess here's another question... What exactly do you have in regards to goals that don't involve Gerwald and Katrine, or hardening your heart and such?" Josh would ask. It was an interesting question, what exactly was Scherezade doing besides getting plastered? What was her end goal? What was her plan? What was she wanting to do for the future?

"What plans do you have for your future, you know?"

His questions took her by surprise. Scherezade stared at Josh dumbfounded for a moment, trying to collect her thoughts. It had been so long since she'd spoken of any of it, to anyone. Gerwald and Katrine knew bits and pieces but... But that was more or less it.

"I want to find my twin brother," she said after a short silence, "my grandmother separated us when she put me in the pebble, I think. And I want to kill my grandmother, for taking me away from my family. And I want to find my parents."

These were the agreements she'd had with the witch, Petra Cavataio. Petra said she could find the three of them. Scherezade had in turn agreed that once she did, she would help her raze Dathomir to the ground.

"I want..." she said, and then corrected herself, "I wanted, to be worthy enough to go to my ancestral planet. But that's not going to happen anymore."

Scherezade sighed. "I wanted to stop feeling guilty over treading the path of the Warrior rather than that of the Sorceress," she resumed and then immediately paused herself, "it's a family and an ancestral home thing. All the women in my family before me were Sith Sorceresses. I'm the first to prefer to wield a knife or a sword over casting a Sith spell."

There was more though, wasn't there? "I wanted to feel safe, and warm, and to have a place to call home. I wanted to destroy the Darkness so it could never haunt me again. I wanted... I wanted a lot of things."

He listened to what she had to say, and mulled it over a moment. With that, he would respond with a bright smile.

"And what's stopping you?" He asked. "What's stopping you from doing most if not all of that now? If you want to find your grandmother, then take measures to find her. Find your parents. Go to your ancestral planet, who cares what people think if you do? And if you want to be a Warrior or whatever, why not? If it bothers you that much... Who says you can't study both paths, increase your variety? I don't see anyone complaining if you have a wide range so long as you encompass what they want, if that's that important to you. And if you can find a way to destroy the darkness... Do it?

Not that any of this will be easy, mind. But I'm not saying it's easy."

He would begin to shuffle through the basket of food for a few moments.

"I'll even help, if you want. That's what friends do, after all. We'll find your brother, somehow. We'll find your parents. We'll find your grandmother. I won't... Exactly help you kill her, not without reason, but you probably want to have her to yourself anyway. I'll just... Hang back and help out if she summons demons or something" He remarked with a shrug in turn. "I'll go with you to your ancestral planet. I'll talk you through whatever you want to do about the whole Sorceress thing, and if there's a way to destroy the darkness, well... Least I can do is walk with you.

I said I'd walk with you, didn't I? I promised."

Scherezade stared dumbfound at Josh. He was so... So optimistic, about it all. As if these were things that could so easily be fixed, done, taken care of. And he seemed... He seemed so happy about the idea that he could help with any of the things she'd mentioned?

When he was done, she sighed.

"Everything is stopping me," she responded. it would have to be explained... Somewhat carefully. "Both my grandmother and my brother are not alive. Not dead either, at least, my grandma isn't dead. I don't now which realm or pocket realm they're in. I don't know what shape my brother is in, if he's grown, if he's in another pebble, if he already lived and had died of old age... Nothing. And if I attack my grandmother now she'll be able to kill me with the snap of her fingers. She probably will, considering that I have every intention of killing her if I'm ever strong enough."

Then there was the whole issue of Endelaan... The way Josh had certain things he held back about with telling or sowing her, this was going to have to be one of those things she held back as well. For the safety of Endelaan, he could not know its name. "You can't come to my ancestral home planet with me," she said gently, "it's an ancient Sith society that has survived thousands of years by remaining hidden. If they smelled a Lightsider on the planet you'd become dinner. You can think you're as strong as you want to, but not even you can ward off an entire clan of Force Users who've been trained with the Darkness their entire lives, both in religious and practical ways. And not even as their Princess would I be able to keep you safe. Which is part of why I can't go back there. It's a place that values power an strength above all else... If I show up as the only child of their Sorceress Queen and Warrior King, the only daughter, and they see that I am broken, they see that I am weak..."

She couldn't finish her words. She knew what it would mean. It would mean she was unworthy. It would be an official resigning to it. It would mean she would have no way to build back anything. "To go there like I am now is to give it up forever."

To the notion of learning both, she just shook her head. "My ancestral home planet's culture is very rooted int he dichotomy between Warriors and Sorcerers. The entire culture is based around it and the Force. I can't... I can't be both. I can pick up a few powers of the path I don't tread, but that's more or less it. To try to do both equally would be to both surrender myself to lack of mastery in either path and to make myself inferior. My father was... is... I'm not sure. But he's the Warrior King. My mother is the Sorceress Queen."

And then, of course, the part she'd been dreading.

"How do I destroy the Darkness if I don't entirely understand what it even is?"

He'd never said that it would be easy. Just that she should try. He listened as Scherezade would list every reason why she apparently could not. Sure, it didn't sound easy, but she was selling herself short too quickly.

"Everything is stopping me,"

Of course "everything" was. They all said that. His eyelids lowered as he just stared at her, almost seeming unamused at the words he'd heard already. "Both my grandmother and my brother are not alive. Not dead either, at least, my grandma isn't dead. I don't now which realm or pocket realm they're in. I don't know what shape my brother is in, if he's grown, if he's in another pebble, if he already lived and had died of old age... Nothing. And if I attack my grandmother now she'll be able to kill me with the snap of her fingers. She probably will, considering that I have every intention of killing her if I'm ever strong enough."

"Alright, so they're either suspended in animation in some form, or dead" Josh would respond calmly. "Stranded somewhere, odds are. So perhaps to find out where they are... You need to find what stuck them in there to begin with" Josh would suggest. "You find the source, you get the information on where they are and how to get there and get them out. Even if you gotta poke someone with knives to do it. You got no problem with that, I've already seen. As far as your grandmother is concerned... Sounds like she might be a source. If you think she's that powerful though... Then you need to get stronger, and more knowledgeable. Yes, more knowledgeable. Too many Sith these days ignore the values of knowledge while pursuing the idea of more power. It's clear that this sorceress isn't someone you can beat with power and pure might alone. You need something up your sleeve to be able to outmatch her."

"You can't come to my ancestral home planet with me," she started off as she would talk about how everyone was a dack. "It sounds like they're not even worth visiting" He spoke honestly. She might not like that, but the Jedi stared into her eyes as he said it. He wasn't lying. And not being lied to was something an un-trusting person could appreciate.

"My ancestral home planet's culture is very rooted int he dichotomy between Warriors and Sorcerers. The entire culture is based around it and the Force. I can't... I can't be both. I can pick up a few powers of the path I don't tread, but that's more or less it. To try to do both equally would be to both surrender myself to lack of mastery in either path and to make myself inferior. My father was... is... I'm not sure. But he's the Warrior King. My mother is the Sorceress Queen."

He shrugged. "Eh" He spoke. "You're the daughter of one and the other. Maybe I've read too much fiction but in most of the stories, the offspring tries to go for both. Maybe your home planet clan's just too narrow minded."

"How do I destroy the Darkness if I don't entirely understand what it even is?"

"Good question" He responded. "So here's what I propose. I was thinking of doing this anyway, since the Silver Jedi and the Confederacy need a liaison regardless and I've wanted to help strengthen ties as both sides have been wanting... I'm going to offer my services to the CIS" Josh would reveal. "With them wanting to do joint missions anyway, this is the best time. And if they allow me, I'd like you to be my mission partner when possible. Not only because I think you'd be a viable mission partner and I've seen what you can do when you're actually trying... But because it buys us time in hyperspace on the way to, and on the way back from missions to do part of what Jedi do to prepare for this kind of thing. Things like this Darkness, things like your grandmother... And that is pursue knowledge. Do research. Our heads are as important as our power, and I like to fire on both when I can.

Perhaps if we can find out what it is, it can be destroyed. What I can at least do is offer my help."

Josh said the odds were that Brayden was stranded somewhere. It was what Scherezade thought too, but she had nothing to base that claim on other than hope. Because if he was suspended somewhere, as she had been in the Darkness, it meant that there was a chance she would be able to find him, or a chance that he would be able to free himself and find her. But as for gathering information... She had no way to do that. Her Aunt knew nothing about it, and the only source left was her grandmother, who posed a very immediate danger to her.

"That's why I was training like a beast," she said, and halted herself. Beast. Again, words that brought up so much pain, even though they were just stupid mundane words. And she noticed her use of the word in past sentence. Was. She hadn't done any training since that horrible night. A little bit of killing, during missions, and once to save Josh, but that was more or less it. Everything else had been halted. Her mind refused to focus on expanding, on doing new things, on... On new firsts. "It'll be years before I can conjure stuff up my sleeve to even have a chance to survive a confrontation with her," she said quietly. Broken or not, that statement would have always been true for Scherezade.

When Josh said her ancestral home planet was not even worth visiting, Scherezade just glared at him. "How dare you?!" she hissed at him. Lightsiders might not have been welcome on Endelaan, but that didn't mean it was a place not worth visiting. It was her ancestral home planet! It was where she'd come from! It was where... No. She put the thoughts out of her mind for now.

As for being the daughter of a Sorceress and a Warrior... Scherezade could only shake her head. "Everyone in my family is the son or the daughter of both," she explained, "and still everyone slid into the right path. Sorcery for the women, warriorism for the men. I know my genealogy to all sides for enough generations back and there's not a single exception."

And then... The Darkness. Josh seemed to be pretty set on that research would help. Still, she could only nod at the rest. Mission partners. As long as he stuck to the rules that he hadn't broken yet. "I don't even know if it's really called the Darkness," she said quietly, looking at the lake, "it's what I call it. I don't know if it has a name at all. How do you find something without a name?"

Was, she had said. He hadn't ignored that, he hadn't missed that. He pondered it for a moment, before he spoke. "Why not start again? Sure, it might take awhile... But you waited a year in the darkness, 500 in the pebble, I'm sure you can wait a few before you face her. Maybe a sparring partner would help?" He would suggest. Though of course she got offended when he said that her ancestral home didn't seem worth visiting.

"It's not because of what you said about them being unwelcoming" He would clarify quickly, guessing correctly it was probably that. "Think about it. They'd judge you, for what? For being what you'd think they would call weak? For not following some narrow-minded, sexist mantra? You are you, Scherezade... And if they cannot accept you for you, then no... No, I do not think them worth visiting. For whatever my opinion is worth."

He thought over the last order of business a moment as he looked out at the lake. "That's part of why I wanted information from Katrine" Josh would admit. "By what I got from her, it seems that the "darkness" you were sealed in is akin to a sort of pocket dimension. Which in of itself is not easily destroyed, if that's even possible" He spoke. "But you can certainly kill the person who's in control of it, the person who can send people into it... A useless, empty pocket dimension is as good as dead."

A year in the Darkness? Sherezade blinked. "No, Josh. I wasn't in the Darkness for a year," she tried to explain, "the second time, I was there for a week. At least, a week of real time. Inside the Darkness... It wasn't a year. It felt like years." And inside the pebble... "The pebble years don't count. I was a baby. I had no will other than to be with my brother and my parents but it wasn't coherent or something I could put into word. I had no words. I had no speech. I had no body. It was just me and never ending darkness, but no nightmares, no visions, no... No dialogue, with it."

She sighed again, taking another swig from her bottle. "And yes, a few years is a best case scenario."

At his explanation about her ancestral home planet, she could only shake her head. "No, No, you're wrong," she almost screamed, "strength is what is honored, wanted, encouraged on my ancestral planet. They would accept me as I am... And turn me away for being weak. You can babble all you want about it, but I. Am. Krakking. Weak." There would be no point in argument over the subject.

And then back to the Darkness... A pocket dimension? She scourged her grandmother's memories, trying to find anything about it. She couldn't. "What's a pocket dimension?" she asked, blinking, "and why do you think my grandmother being dead would stop it? She's not really alive right now, but it's the Darkness that I always feel, not her."

The Jedi shrugged his shoulders when she tried to clarify her time in the darkness and in the pebble. "Either way, you've had what felt like a long time to develop some patience. A few years is nothing" He remarked casually as he would take a cheese stick from the basket. Still good, by the looks of it. "As for your ancestral home..." He continued once she had finished. "A proper family would encourage, but not judge, just because you are weak. If you do not feel comfortable going back because you feel they will judge you for any weaknesses... Eh. There is nothing wrong with encouraging strength. But there is something wrong for shunning one for lacking in it. Strength is something that can be developed at any stage of life, in many different ways. Which is why the Sith I see nowadays are too simple minded compared to their forebears of old. Too obsessed with the power you can shoot from your fingers."

"You're right" He spoke when it came to the darkness. "It might not stop it. I forgot for a moment that the darkness still has sway over you, that it can still take you if you sleep as you said. Katrine acted like it was kind of like a pocket dimension that your grandmother had control of.

Perhaps this darkness is a living thing, in of itself, then?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom