Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarge's Guide to The Force and its Users

[member="Darth Vornskr"] Right, I know you don't. But that doesn't mean that grey doesn't occur.

Sarge Potteiger said:
I don't think anyone here wanted to read a gun manual. It's accessible to a broad group of individuals, and frankly that's all that matters to me.

The idea of a gun barrel wearing down from use is hardly something inaccessible to people writing in sci-fi forum. But...Okay, cool.

Darth Vitium said:
Incorrect.
Incorrect in what?

Darth in wookiepedia

There is no mention of Dark Jedi. But hundred mention of Dark Lord of the Sith. Darth may not literally mean Dark Lord of the Sith, but Sith have use it for thousand of years. Only one mention about Dark Jedi is the Dark Jedi who conquear Sith homeworld. But that's it.

Excellent write up, and moderation is why Veino has, in all honesty, never won a fight. He's survived them, which really is what winning is all about in fights, and even fought one or two to a draw. But as I go off the movies and their more low-key Force usage, he really doesn't have the power or skill to take on many of the other FUs on the board that go more off the EU.

And I am done with this. There is a clear difference between the two.
In how they work
What they want
What they do
What they can achieve
Who was first
How they think
How they feel
and so much more.

There is a difference, and I would not at all like being compared to the Sith.

Dark Jedi are Sith with different beliefs. For example Lisa follows this code.

Peace and passion are relative, survival is all that matters.
By surviving I gain longevity, through longevity I gain influence.
Through influence I can be free
Through Freedom I can thrive.
Only I can determine my destiny.
I am equal with the Force.
Nothing super Jedi or Sith like here at all....

None of those could hold a candle to the Exiles, who bent an entire civilization to their will, created monsters and artifacts of power that few have been able to replicate in modern times, and built a legacy that would last for thousands and thousands of generations.

They're powerful in their own right, but don't delude yourself into believing their exile-level.

[member="The Shadow King"]

My veiws on the Sith/Dark Jedi debate:

Throughout the centuries, the Sith have manifested themselves as an organisation. First they were a species, then the aristocracy of an Empire, then a cult, then military dictators, and now they are once again the aristocracy of a new Sith Empire; the One Sith. Dark Jedi are simply people who use the Dark Side but are not affiliated with this organisation. Remember, in the Original Triology, the word "Jedi" was a blanket name applied to all force users, the word "Sith" was not used in the movies until the Phantom Menace. There were the light side Jedi and the Dark Jedi, and the Sith are a recurring organisation within the Dark side. These days, they make up the majority of the followers of the Dark Side, but there are still those who do not fit into that sub-group; they are simply called Dark Jedi.

[member="Darth Vitium"]

That's the wonderful thing about guides. They're an opinion. They won't be perfect, or nail every single point of fact. I appreciate you, and [member="Reverance"], taking the time to read it even if you disagree with some of what I said. It is my simple hope that someone reads this and goes 'ya know what, maybe I don't need to pull a star destroyer from orbit.'

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Sarge Potteiger"]

That was an excellent read. Not just in words but in spirit. When I put my ego aside and just ponder upon your thoughts, I easily remember why I was drawn to SWRP in the first place. And that is a very special gift of memory indeed. Your emphasis on the selflessness of the Jedi versus the selfishness of the Sith is a great reminder to me, and my characters, of the potential that each of us holds as writers to embody those ideals personally. Every single day we visit the site.

Sarge. Great guide. Thanks for being awesome. :D :p

Sorvae Sunfell

S
Sarge Potteiger said:
Now, some will likely point out New Order Jedi, but I've never been a fan of the EU [old EU that is.] I didn't like the Vong (loathed them), I didn't like that there wasn't a Republic. I vastly prefer the Old Republic for my material.
Finally somebody who has had the same thoughts as I have.

But this guide is just amazing. I will have to bookmark it now for future use. :p

I truly love the idea that the Force was a simple power that allowed you to accomplish things that were beyond the range of normal people, within a believable margin. I have been reading the Thrawn trilogy, and I found that in the first book looks states in thought that not even a Jedi could fall from five stories up and hope to live. While this could easily be pushed away as simply him not being fully trained, I like to believe that while the Force is incredibly powerful, it does not make one a god.

I loved that scene from the Vth movie, where Yoda lifts the X-wing out of the swamp. It showed that a Jedi could accomplish a normally impossible task for one man, while not being this all-powerful being who could do anything. From the same movie, we see Vader choke a man from across the Executor, with only his thought. Throughout all those early movies, what we see for the Force is simply an enhanced jump, tricking the weak minded, choking people left and right, lightning, difficult to understand visions of the future, being able to tell where a blaster shot was going to be in time to deflect it, deflecting a blaster shot with one's hand (probably a mix of the glove and the Force, not sure), sensing other Force users presence, enhanced stamina, and basic telekinesis.

The Force was simple, that was part of the charm. It didn't make you super man, flying around and bulletproof. It made you super human, but not super human. Only two people had power that seemed beyond belief, and those were Yoda and the Emperor. Even they died in the end. They were very powerful, but neither had these god abilities that made them unkillable. Yoda died of age, and Palpatine died of being betrayed and thrown over a ledge.

Then movies I, II, and III came out. They changed the whole game. Force users were practically demi-gods. They could fall from incredibly heights, could leap around like they were insects, and the only way to kill them was trickery on a massive scale and powerful non-Force users, like Grevious or Jango. Dooku, a Sith who was nowhere near as powerful as Palpatine could take out two younger, stronger, and potentially more powerful men. Yoda leaped around as if he were on fire. Palpatine was almost capable of the same. It seemed that those three movies, because they were targeted towards a completely different audience than the original three, dropped the bar that had been set by the original three.

The original trilogy had a feeling to them. They had an emotion around them, that touched me. I love Star Wars because of those first three, and I have watched the other three because I loved those original three. I look forward to the next three because of those original three. The way the Force was interpreted was amazing in IV, V, and VI. It had a more awe-inspiring element to it. Whereas the other three movies made those moves seem trivial. While some of the things they do, the duels with Maul, Yoda vs. Palpatine, Obi-wan vs. Anakin, were very fun to watch, those seem to be one of the only redeeming values of those movies.

Might have gotten off topic there for a bit...I'll just go and pull my soapbox to the side, yes? *Whistles as he walks away* :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom