Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rule Change Request; Company tier advancement

Should these changes be implemented?

• It is fine the way it is.

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • All of this. Do it. Do it now!

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • This brings up some good points, and some excessive ones.

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • I don't like these options, but the advancement guide should be improved upon.

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Maria Natalja said:
Yet you own like, a billion of companies and subsidiaries and make the same amount of products for them every day. A clear exaggeration, but still, the concept is the same.
This character owns one company that doesn't actually make or produce anything - it's all just for fluff and lore, it's a venue company.
Saera owns one parent company with one subsidiary, Crystal Heart Workshop notwithstanding since that's more of a necessity for any alchemist to have a workplace.
In nine months (270 days), I have only made exactly 45 submissions between them (subs licensed or acquired from others notwithstanding, then it would be 48). That's one thing every six days.

I am disappointed I was even referenced for this making of a point, exaggerative or not....

Ashe the Reaper said:
This character owns one company that doesn't actually make or produce anything - it's all just for fluff and lore, it's a venue company.
Saera owns one parent company with one subsidiary, and one physical workshop for her alchemy studies.
In nine months (270 days), I have only made exactly 45 submissions between them (subs licensed or acquired from others notwithstanding, then it would be 48).

I am disappointed I was even referenced for this making of a point, exaggerative or not....
It was a joking statement.. >.>

Ashe the Reaper said:
In nine months (270 days), I have only made exactly 45 submissions between them (subs licensed or acquired from others notwithstanding, then it would be 48).
I think I've got about 64 Submissions since around February. Not to mention upgrading the existing ships in the Mandalorian Navy.

As far as companies making "non-groundbreaking submissions" and not being able to improve their company... OOC, they could simply ask some upfront. "I'm having trouble getting contracts. What can I make for you that you guys actually need?" Or "Hey mr/mrs 'makes great stuff all the time', can you help me make something worth selling?"

Or... if we include companies in this... "Hey. I make all these guns that nobody wants. You make combat droids. Can I bundle my guns for cheap with the droids you're selling?"

Anyway. Ahri, Judges, please stop the discussion about OOC bias in this thread. It doesn't belong.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
It does belong, it's a substantial reason for a need for change from the current (mind you, "OOC bias" can simply be... say, who likes what subs/accessories or companies and what isn't given a second look, not some act of spite or avoidance) and thus it has every place in the topic at hand, but I digress, because it's beating a dead horse and is, imho, unlikely to change like 90% of everything else that's discussed. :(

Good luck with your proposal.

Larraq's points on selling to other companies is interesting because they are legit transactions that could and should be taken into consideration. To use the CocaCola comparison - it brings to mind the companies who supply the ingredients needed to make the beverages. Nobody thinks of the Sugar empire [a bit moot now since Americans hate real sugar] or even the companies who supply the materials needed to make the cans. How about Hershey's chocolate? Guess what, they get their cocoa from a very large corporation who supplies many other companies as well. To compare to here, I'd stick them at Tier 4 maybe, if they're global.

Since when aren't contracts and trading and whatever between companies allowed? I think there should be no rule change for that.

But yeah, I am too distant from company making to give any real feedback on this question.

Thera Mayeen

T
Tier Six here I come.
But honestly I like some of the things you are saying. And so far only a few people have taken the few good things/ideas from the OP and discussed them. Everything else has been either "No." or "No one likes me and won't buy my stuff; PersonB: Deal With it"

Its not getting anywhere.

Maria Natalja said:
Since when aren't contracts and trading and whatever between companies allowed? I think there should be no rule change for that.
Currently under the rules contracts and trading between large companies does not count as a "Contract With a Major Faction" because it is not a major faction. This is a rule that I agree with Larraq and Darke should be changed to include larger companies at the higher levels and companies of the same tier. But as Jorus said earlier, a decision has already been reached up top. We'll find out what happens tomorrow

Captain Larraq said:
I think I've got about 64 Submissions since around February. Not to mention upgrading the existing ships in the Mandalorian Navy.

As far as companies making "non-groundbreaking submissions" and not being able to improve their company... OOC, they could simply ask some upfront. "I'm having trouble getting contracts. What can I make for you that you guys actually need?" Or "Hey mr/mrs 'makes great stuff all the time', can you help me make something worth selling?"

Or... if we include companies in this... "Hey. I make all these guns that nobody wants. You make combat droids. Can I bundle my guns for cheap with the droids you're selling?"
Well frack me twice on Sunday, you just answered the quandary your own thread raised. Sell stuff to other companies. Because to go from T1 to T5 you only need contracts with three major factions. Or rather two since you can contract with the same one a second time to go from 4 to 5. That thread we did where Koensayr makes you a part, it counts towards your advancement. You can even talk to people ooc and ask for help and ways to improve or if they have a need.

A few months back I put out word that the Black Sun needed a standard blaster pistol, talked to several companies about it (maybe even you) and nobody ever picked it up. Now that would have been a major contract with a major faction. Two months went by before Cypher just made one with a generic company made just to supply the faction with stuff we couldn't put a company name to. Doesn't sound like people are really hurting for that contract to me.
[member="Captain Larraq"]

Ashe the Reaper said:
Saera owns one parent company with one subsidiary, Crystal Heart Workshop notwithstanding since that's more of a necessity for any alchemist to have a workplace.
In nine months (270 days), I have only made exactly 45 submissions between them (subs licensed or acquired from others notwithstanding, then it would be 48). That's one thing every six days.
And holy crap guys, I've made about 35 tech/ship subs since I started on this site and that included a major amount of stuff for the Sun's military with other companies before I got Koensayr. Seriously, relax, it's coming, being one tier higher wont improve your RP experience one bit. My company has been Tier 3 since I first got it six months ago and i'm just now looking to advance it and have no plans to after Tier 4. It's a dinky little number, please stop obsessing like it'll ruin your whole writing experience.

Domino said:
A few months back I put out word that the Black Sun needed a standard blaster pistol, talked to several companies about it (maybe even you) and nobody ever picked it up. Now that would have been a major contract with a major faction. Two months went by before Cypher just made one with a generic company made just to supply the faction with stuff we couldn't put a company name to. Doesn't sound like people are really hurting for that contract to me.
[member="Captain Larraq"]
I never heard anything about that one. A few weeks/months ago I popped up on the Black Suns faction forum and tried to negotiate a contract with you guys. The IC faction leader (at least that's who I thought I was speaking with) had all but narrowed down his/her selection to a single product that the faction would be interested in, but then you popped up and shot down the transaction. No mention of other things the faction could use. Just "No thanks. Better luck elsewhere."

Because we don't want every type of ship imaginable under the sun and the ones you were offering to sell us were the more expensive and specialized ones. The product he narrowed it down to, a jeep very similar to one we already had, but not better. So there was no reason IC or OOC to buy.

Domino said:
Well frack me twice on Sunday, you just answered the quandary your own thread raised. Sell stuff to other companies. Because to go from T1 to T5 you only need contracts with three major factions. Or rather two since you can contract with the same one a second time to go from 4 to 5. That thread we did where Koensayr makes you a part, it counts towards your advancement. You can even talk to people ooc and ask for help and ways to improve or if they have a need.
I've got 90% of the 'filler' threads nailed down for tier 3 to tier 6. I've had them completed for a while now. I've got a company/company contract nailed down and a company/faction contract nailed down. From tier 3 to 6, I need 4 more major faction contracts. Contracts that I have been trying to negotiate for months now. Hopefully, my recent gamble with a line of starship components will pan out and secure the remaining contracts. Similarly, I'm hoping to drag Gilamar into a contract thread to supply a new Ewar Frigate to the Mandalorians.

I've got a number of plans in place to advance in tier. And I've got around 5-6 different 'Major Projects' that I'm exploring at the moment. While my IC activity has taken a lax as I focus on pushing my Starship Components through the factory three at a time (instead of all 30 at once), I've got plenty of opportunity to get Mandal Hypernautics to tier 6 with a little time and patience. I didn't create this thread because I felt I couldn't achieve what I wanted without the things I was proposing. I created it because I felt that the current rules were incorrect and inadequate and felt that I could offer an alternative and, in the process, inspire the Factory Admins to get the ball rolling on new and better rules.

Domino said:
It's a dinky little number, please stop obsessing like it'll ruin your whole writing experience.

When I first joined this forum and first began using the factory, there were numerous occasions were Ayden or yourself told me that my company was too small to do or create what I was attempting. Even now, there are things I do where Popo or another tell me that I'm over-stretching what my company would be capable of. From the size and number of starships I can use to the number of worlds I can have mining facilities on, that dinky little number keeps getting waved in my face.

So yes. It is restricting my writing experience.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
This ain't about winning, it isn't a competition.

We are writing stories here, and we can't have a galaxy full of Tier VIs. Because.. that wouldn't make any sense whatsoever. Instead of trying to make the Tier Advancement rules easier, people should try and put more effort into what they are doing and actually try to follow the guidelines.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
So let me get this straight. This debate went on for a page and a half after it was announced that a change will be implemented which is partially based on this proposal? You're debating an obsolete ruleset.

Ashe the Reaper said:
Hypothetical: I've spent the past eight months building up my company. Let's say Faction A, B and C just don't like my things, or already have a supplier and can't afford to get any more. Let's say the remaining factions X, Y and Z are not options for whatever reason. I've done poodoo-loads of work and all of it's legitimate - but you just told me that the work means jack because there's nobody to buy.
welcome-to-reality-sign.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom