Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suggestion Roleplay Rule ammendments

So yes, we know the board is called Chaos and that in itself means that there is no need for too many restrictions. However, perhaps making sure that some of the rules which are extremely vague may in a way help to lower the extreme toxicity that apparently builds up from time to time on this server (as any other rp, to be fair).

Though I have no issues with practically any of the rules, there is one which is so vague, it is sure to impact the experience of the game very negatively.

"4. Show respect to everyone in the role-play."

^That rule should be altered or split up into two rules imho.

It should be:

A. Treat your fellow roleplayers with respect.
B. Treat other people's roleplay with respect.

Why A?

Because it is less vague, it makes it clear that continuous harassment can't just be pushed aside by the members of staff with the sentence: than don't rp with them. Remember, there are still plenty of moments in which you as a player can be forced to have rp interactions with those people, so this does not qualify as a response from any staffmember and inavertedly makes it look like members of staff don't care about the game, which I know isn't true, they care about it way more than even I do, willing to put hours daily of their time into it to make sure it's enjoyable.

Why B?

This is roleplay, with everyone trying to enjoy a role in a big narrative. Exactly because this is a big narrative, players should understand the fundamentals of roleplaying: you are not a god, you are bound by the game's logic and the logic of he narrative. In this case, this rule is to prevent people from completely ignoring other people's actions in rp (I mean sure, you can forget some more nuanced stuff when posting, but completely ignoring any and all actions for the sake of your own efo is a no no in every rpg.) This includes extreme metagaming (using information ICly gained by an unrelated character, read on the forum or discord with another subaccount is called meta) or godmodding (you control the narrative, the players in it and the actions taken, while not being given the role of moderator of a narrative or narrator in cases of doms, this is a serious offense in every rp).

As someone who has roleplayed for quite some time, I can understand some infringements to the latter in private roleplays, as those are usually done with people you like and trust, but in public rp's with a multitude of people, without express permission or logical explanation, neither Metagaming or Godmodding should be condoned, as this removes the joy from it all for all the other participants.

EDIT: I am also providing this LINK which concerns an earlier thread talking about partially the same subject. It would warrant some clarification on those parts in the rules in general.

Last edited:
I'm not going to take much of a stance on this, but isn't this already kind of a social contract between writers already? Like, don't people basically blacklist writers who godmod/metagame in any clear and intentional way?

I kind of agree here. If you are a complete dick nobody will write with you so the community usually sorts the problem out itself without the need for a written express rule.

But hey can’t hurt to suggest

Well yes, Hailyn Hailyn but again, you can blacklist them as much as you want, you're still going to have to realize that there are a lot of ways in which you can be forced to rp with those people anyway. It is also perhaps less of a rule and more of a guideline to people as well, to make them aware that roleplaying does not work that way.

Niamh Raste

N
I'm not going to take much of a stance on this, but isn't this already kind of a social contract between writers already? Like, don't people basically blacklist writers who godmod/metagame in any clear and intentional way?
It should be but we all know that some people band together and find a way to ruin other peoples RP still, whether we want to RP with them or not. Invasions somewhat force it (not that I dont like them). Just pointing out that just because people should do something doesnt mean they will.

I think the argument is more of a single person or possible writer who does nothing more than attempt to ruin a persons day, ignoring their posts and constantly injecting themselves into places where they know they are not wanted.

In other words...a roleplayer who takes things to far and ruins the experience near constant with no permission.

Credius Credius , not to be that guy... but going to be...

The head admin‘s answer in the thread you linked pretty much holds water here also I think. I won’t presume to speak for site staff, but if the proposal is similar then the answer likely is also.

It’s on the second page if you haven’t read it yet.

Correct.

Such a change is not necessary. Showing respect to everyone in the roleplay involves both them as people and their ability to write. I see no way in which making a broad statement into two slightly more specific ones would help. The result and intent is the same.

If you feel someone is not respecting you the first step is always to contact them for clarification. Judging tone and intent via text is hard sometimes and it may be unintended.

If that fails though you have a report button. Every report is looked at and handled by staff when it comes. That is your fallback.

Valiens Nantaris Valiens Nantaris I'll respect your decision on the matter. :D

EDIT: Just to clarify, this suggestion was not meant or should in any way be seen as me saying the members of staff don't do their job properly. Should any member of staff feel that it does regardless of my intent, you have my sincere apologies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom