Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rise of Skywalker Reviews/Rating

How do you rate 'The Rise of Skywalker'?

• Total voters
Drenched in nostalgia, janky pacing, random pandering - campy as all hell - but a fun ass movie with some seriously glorious moments.

But, in the end THIS IS A LESSON IN NOT PANDERING TO SCREAMING MANCHILDREN. FANS ARE LOUD AND DUMB, DON'T LISTEN TO US.

Oh.... The Last Jedi is the best SW film of the Sequels and is up there with the Originals. Peace out nerf herders.

I greatly enjoyed Rise of Skywalker, there were a few pacing issues I felt, could have stayed on a few different scenes a little longer, but otherwise I am a content Star Wars junkie right now. Definitely want to go see it again.

Totally love it. It was fun and intense. Great drama. Added to the lore. Gave me a lot to think about. Very happy with the reveal of who Rey was. Answered a lot of questions and gave me a few more. Really want to explore the Palpatine family. Where was the son during the war? Who has sex with Emperor to have that child? Or did the Emperor used the force to create his son.

Already saw it twice plan to see it couple more times. One complaint why can’t redeem darkside stay alive.

I'm torn. On the one hand I quite liked some of it. I think Rey was the best she's been, the interactions with the 'crew' were good. Some nice dramatic moments, some fun callbacks.
It also completely invalidated TLJ so that's a good thing to me.

But on the other hand there's so, so much handwavium. Why does X happen? Because it needs to. So much pandering, rapid fire pacing, moving between scenes, off screen plot.

So in the end it sort of balances into a neutral 'It was not as bad as I feared, not as good as I wished.'

Emberlene's Daughter, The Jedi Generalist
First the good. Visually it was pretty, you could tell where they spent their money to get beautiful shots. Second Adam Driver maybe gives one of the best performances.

Content wise there was very little. Palpatine survived because he survived and with their point that books, comics and the games are in canon and more controlled story wise to not be wild like the legends EU. Invalidates many of them as his death triggers operation cinder, the defection of inferno squadron who give the rebellion that information about the contingency and eventually the plans for the dreadnoughts which is used to destroy it. It makes the battle of Jakku which was designed to test and weed out the weak of the empire unneeded now which undermines the entire creation of the first order. Which became the threat Leia saw and why the resistance began to exist. So there is asecret fleet with some of the most advanced tech in the galaxy and it amounts to very little. The mastermind that was palpatine focused on a convoluted plan hinging on someone discovering Rey on Jakku... even worse on someone going to Jakku to do something. The ending based on what was said had several reshoots and just giving everything to Rey and making her all the jedi... her geting the falcon, lukes home and name. It fits into more what someone had as an agenda. Knights of Ren are there but still.... meh. They go through a lot to invalidate what the other movies have done and in the end Rey becomes all fo the jedi highlander style even with lightning being used. Leia was..... Carrie Fisher sadly passing away meant she couldn't do a lot I get that but aside from her bond with luke and imagine with han/chewie/ben eventually her just being a powerful force user. Her rising and embracing her family legacy would have made sense as the movies were supposed o focus on different original members. The rumor that her and luke were supposed to be wielding saber back to back as part of an idea sounded great but sadly could not be. So she trais Rey who can just do more things with the force on par with some of the more powerful jedi masters and then some from the old legends EU.

It was fast, it was boring in places, it had little meat and character they have been introducing throughout the sequel trilogy are there but get the jar jar treatment so you don't see them or care. Some of the things felt like Batman and Robin. They designed the toys first and then "just throw it in" other aspects were tossed at the wall to see what might stick and biggest take away is the sequel trilogy is over now. It is done and hopefully now things can breathe with shows like the mandalorian being able to appeal to more fans. The example between the two fo them about how to have fanservice and callbacks/references is night and day.

Would I see it again? Sure, it is star wars and with more viewings there is bound to be things in it that are decent or nice to see buried. Last Jedi wasn't that great but there were things within it in places you could enjoy. I have already had the extended novelization prepaid for from amazon and that is supposed to from star wars explained explanation... shows scenes like Rey constructing her saber.

I would put it below the holiday special and ewok movies but way above last jedi.

Nope nope nope
what the hell did i watch?
this was a Frankenstein mess of
" Oh my god what did that nerf herder do with my plans? i have to try and fix all of that "
its EVERY SINGLE BAD FAN THEORY ALL TOGETHER
EVERY SPOILER PROVEN RIGHT.

way ta go Disney you made a guy with a silver bucket on his head right.
you know what you did?
do you?
you made Doomcock a legit Journalist.

Im not entirely understanding how Rey won at the end? Palpatine wanted her to kill him, right? And she does. So doesn't that mean he won?

The film just straight up goes "Nope".

Also, "I am all the sith". What a terrible line and reply from Rey. This is Star Wars. JJ must've just watched Endgame before writing this out as fast as he could.

[member="AdAstra"]

With Rey dying at the same as the Emperor means that his spirit couldn’t go into her. Where his spirit went I don’t know? That kinda a loose end. They could alway pick it up. It looked like his snoke cloned were killed in the location. So unless he had clones somewhere else. I would assume he is gone. .

Thraztin

T
I enjoyed RoS far better than TLJ and a bit better than TFA. I've never been a fan of the sequels but this one tied together a lot of things I thought were missing. However, this wasn't a good Star Wars film by any means. It was cheesy, it ripped off a number of scenes and bits that have already happened in the series, and overall I think it did a disservice to fans. The fan service-y bits like the voices of all the Jedi, Leia as a Jedi, and the numerous callbacks to the OT like Luke's X-Wing and Lando covered up the lazy story. Rey is even more of Mary-Sue now with her healing, lightning, and whatever the hell teleporting thing her and Kylo were doing throughout the film. Exogal seems a lot like a Dromund Kaas rip-off and the wayfinders seem like cheap sith holocrons. The dagger perfectly matching up with destroyed piece of the Death Star is a simply a crime in writing, as is the massive, high-tech, and fully manned fleet of Star Destroyers existing under the sea on Exogal. That garbage writing is unrealistic even for a sci-fi fantasy universe. Kylo got his character arc ruined by ending up as a cheap knock-off Darth Vader, and Leia had no real significance in the film which makes that god-awful scene from TLJ inexcusable (you know the one I'm talking about).

On the bright side, I would watch this film mindlessly again. If I hadn't sat in the theater and focused on the film as hard as I did, it would have been enjoyable. 3P0, Babu, Finn and Po were all hilarious in this, and I'm really glad Po and Finn got the treatment they deserved which they didn't receive in the last two films.

I've always said to my friends that the sequels are great movies with terrible SW stories, and this film exemplifies that. 3/10.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Just got back from Ep9. Gonna go with 4/5.

It did it's job. I got my money's worth. My emotional state was "good enough and good for them." The cast and crew did great. Well done. Everybody.

Now. I suppose. Let's all go home and do something else. :p

Jor Kvall

Ain't found a way to kill me yet
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Rating: 1% out of 100

If your brain was active and you were paying attention to the major fault lines in The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi, you already knew there was zero possiblity of this movie being good.

I'm not going to waste time listing all the plot holes and all the stupid little unexplained things that made no sense in this movie, of which there are many (it's not lazy writing, it's the Force!). Instead I'd rather try and elaborate on the fundamental problems at the heart of this movie and the whole trilogy in general. Honestly, I get what they were trying to do -- people really hated The Last Jedi, so the third movie needed to go in a different direction. But now we have the problem of setting up an entirely new plot and then resolving it in a single film, and the end result is nothing short of a clusterfuck. If we pull back and look at the trilogy as a whole, the second film ignores the first one, and now the third one ignores the second. Perhaps the biggest problem with this trilogy is that all of these movies frustratingly pretend the others don't exist, which makes it feel like we didn't arrive at this point through any sort of natural development. In direct contrast to Disney's treatment of the Marvel universe it all feels manufactured and random -- because it was. We are quite literally blindsided by the return of Palpatine, who through a fantastic deus ex machina has been pulling the strings all along -- but the movie never slows down once to allow this huge revelation to sink in. We must press forward, there's too much plot to get through!

But seriously Jor, a 1% rating, you ask? You get more points by writing your name correctly on the SAT. What could possibly be so horrible about this movie? Well, everything. The pacing, the utter lack of anything resembling creativity, the poorly written characters, the incoherent mess of events that masquerades as a plot. Everything sucks and this movie is a giant waste of time. I'll start off with the pacing. This is literally a fucking Transformers movie. Rise of Skywalker rushes through the plot at such breakneck speed that we visit like 5 different planets within the first 30 minutes. We have no time to digest the return of Palpatine, explore relationships between characters or even the consequences of major character "deaths". The film distracts from this by placing things you recognize from your childhood in front of you in hopes that you turn your brain off. Look, it's Lando! Hey, it's Luke's X-Wing again! Wow, is that a cameo of Wedge Antilles? The movie charges forth at such mind-numbing pace without explaining anything, that your brain is not given time to think about any of it. This seems intentional. The Rise of Skywalker is cinema of bewilderment at its finest. It demands you turn your brain into a potato to sit through it. For lots of people, that's not a problem.

Because Star Wars isn't allowed to have any original ideas anymore, just like J.J.'s first derivative effort was a remake, this movie (the important parts anyway) was basically a remake of Return of the Jedi, and wouldn't you know, this movie also suffers from some of the same problems Return of the Jedi did, in addition to a litany of others. When you think about the situation the writers were faced with, bringing Palpatine back wasn't just the "smart" choice -- it was in fact the only choice. With Snoke dead and Kylo Ren an ineffective villain, the new movie needed a central antagonist. You can either create a new one or reach back and pull one from the past -- either effort is going to appear clunky and disjunct, but since this movie relies 100% on fan nostalgia to pull the audience through its grueling two-and-a-half-hours, the choice was clear. The creative bankruptcy of this trilogy as a whole is probably one of the most dissatisfying things about it. There are nine movies in this saga and it feels like the Star Wars universe shrinks further with each new addition. Rather than having the spirit of an intrepid explorer seeking to expand the boundaries of a universe with near limitless possibilities, J.J. Abrams assumes the role of soulless corporate executive. Repeat what sells, don't change the formula. Half of the movies in this saga are now some derivative of people trying to stop a big evil superweapon. Do people ever get tired of this shit? The Rise of Skywalker is just the last in this series of disappointments, the final headstone in the graveyard of wasted potential known as the sequel trilogy.

Probably the weakest part of this movie is the characters. If you thought the characters would get any better after The Last Jedi, you're in for major disappointment. Characters do not evolve or naturally progress in any way and character relationships go nowhere. Despite every other protagonist besides Rey essentially being narrative dead weight at this point, the movie inexplicably introduces new characters and then does nothing with them. Characters are treated in a utilitarian fashion to simply advance the plot to the next location, nothing more. Poe is given a pseudo-love interest, who is introduced in the beginning of the film and then never explored again, her purpose of giving the heroes the needed macguffin having been accomplished. The black chick, whose name I can't even remember, follows the same trend, essentially just becoming another face during the final battle. You have to wonder why, instead of simply assigning more important roles to Finn and Poe, the writers instead chose to introduce even more pointless characters. Rose is there but might as well have just been a cardboard cut-out, she says and does nothing of importance because this movie is trying hard to make you forget how annoying she was in The Last Jedi and that cringy kiss with Finn, but we still have to show her anyway because reasons. So she's there, just entirely inconsequential and all the ramifications of that strange romance with Finn have been completely scrubbed from memory.

That's the thing about this movie. Every character relationship feels like an utterly fucking hollow dead end. It opens with Rey, Finn and Poe exchanging some back-and-forth dialogue, and see look, they're all friends just like Luke, Han and Leia were. The Rise of Skywalker wants you to forget that these three characters have barely spent any time in the same room together on screen up to this point. You'll recall this is the same shit the prequels tried to pull with Obi-Wan and Anakin -- they spent the entirety of Episode II getting on each other's nerves, and in Episode III an opening action sequence is supposed to make us believe they're best friends. Sorry no, you don't get to just retroactively declare that these three characters are best pals now and make me feel any sort of attachment to their friendship. As far as I've seen in the last two movies, the three of them barely know each other. Poe's meaningless love interest has already been mentioned. The movie pretends Finn and Rose never happened, instead Finn appears to have some unchecked feelings for Rey and tells her several times he wants to speak to her alone, but this is quickly forgotten and nothing ever comes of it either, making you wonder why these scenes were even in the movie at all. Utterly bewildering. Chewie "dies" but there's no time to dwell on it or let it influence further events, and it doesn't matter anyway because it's revealed he's alive not 5 minutes later. What's the point? Perhaps the worst example is the treatment of C-3PO, who is faced with losing his memory (essentially "dying") and has a chance to make a heroic sacrifice for the team. It would have been great to see this as a reflective and somber moment for the heroes and to have 3PO voluntarily have his memory wiped for the greater good, as a way of paying homage to this character who has been in every Star Wars movie since the beginning. Instead the "heroes" have little qualms about forcing 3PO to erase his consciousness against his will, and any sentimentality expressed by 3PO towards the heroes before the procedure is met with derision. Yet again we see the chance for meaningful character interaction along with any tension evaporate into dust right before our very eyes, and it's fine anyway because 3PO gets his memories back like ten minutes later, so who cares. Just how I like my Star Wars, without any tension or gravitas or purpose whatsoever, with all the classic characters left useless or humiliated! Moments like these make me start to believe these movies weren't simply Disney being retarded but actually malicious attempts by people who hate Star Wars to destroy a thing you love and then stand over its corpse and mock you for it, because it's funny to them and because fuck you, that's why.

Then there's Rey. What more is there to say about her that hasn't been said at this point, and to be honest I'm tired of discussing her. You can read my other posts to know my feelings on this character, ultimately the same charade continues in this movie with Rey having very little agency of her own and simply doing what other characters tell her to do. Her story isn't compelling because her powers aren't earned, in fact she is quite literally given them to defeat Palpatine in the end. There is not a sense of a protagonist overcoming a great struggle here, because for Rey there never really was much of a struggle to begin with. Remember how I said this movie, being a copy of Return of the Jedi, suffers from the same problems it did? Just like how Palpatine tempting Luke with power at the end of Jedi felt unthreatening because power was never something Luke was motivated by, Palpatine's attempted seduction of Rey also falls flat for the same reasons. Rey never gave any indication that she was falling to the Dark Side up to this point, so what reason is there to believe there's any chance of it happening now? We already know Rey isn't going to turn. This just feels like a tedious formality.

Out of all the characters Kylo/Ben is the only one with any sort of forward trajectory, as his redemption story figures prominently into this movie. Unfortunately, it never quite feels legitimate, as The Force Awakens made sure to ruin the chance for any forward character motion by establishsing Kylo to be basically irredeemable after he murders his father for no reason. What changed since then? Was it nothing more than Leia's voice? Rey conveniently forgets Ben is a murderer as she kisses him, and the movie implicitly admits this narrative can't continue any further by having him die immediately after. I mean it would be a bit awkward to have Rey and Ben honeymooning while Ben is on trial for war crimes.

So, to summarize this review. Awkward pacing, terrible character treatment, hopelessly derivative plot. This is candy cinema that is banking on you turning your brain off for two-and-a-half hours for some cheap thrills and nostalgic moments that remind you of something you once loved from your childhood. There is absolutely nothing of value here. Is this my least favorite Star Wars movie of all time? Maybe. Do I hate it more than Last Jedi? Yes. At least The Last Jedi had some semblance of pace and didn't try to trick me into liking it by turning my brain into sludge. The only reason I didn't give it a 0% is because Exagol is a pretty damn cool planet visually-speaking, and the only Star Wars movie deserving of a 0% rating is The Force Awakens, the film I contend truly killed Star Wars and set it on its path toward ultimate doom we now find ourselves on. But despite the at-times cool visuals of Rise of Skywalker, in the end they amount to nothing more than the rest of the movie. Candy to keep your brain permanently stuck in adolescent nostalgia.

So yeah, I'm pretty much done with Star Wars for a while. I don't think I'd even consider myself a fan anymore at this point. Thank god this is the last one and I don't have to feel obligated to sit through any more of these tedious, soulless, creatively bankrupt disasters ever again. No more movies, please. Let Star Wars DIE!

4 out of 10.
The Force Awakened tried to be a too-safe rehash of the intro to the original trilogy to gauge fan reception to a Disney continuation. Sure, ok. It was a bit flat, but it set the stage for TLJ to be a bit more adventurous - except Rian Jonson took that a bit too far after fans complained that TFA played it too safe.

And here we are in 2019 with ROS which has decided to try to both play it too safe and play fast and loose at the same time. The result? An awkward marriage of plot structure of Return of the Jedi & what could be called inspiration from the Infinity Wars/Endgame two-parter, and some bizarre plot choices that appeared chosen just to shock us (but were still corporate safe "tm").

The movie is ok, it's not bad, it's not horrible, it's also not very good and certainly not great either. Where TFA was good for one segment of the fanbase, and TLJ for those that wanted something new, ROS tried to appeal to both but failed to do much more than become the next forgettable film of the decade. I put it on par with The Phantom Menace, a movie that is a Star Wars movie, sure, but not a very good one.

This movie, and trilogy as a whole, should teach Disney to decide on a direction and stick with it. You can't please everyone, choose the core audience you want and let the rest play out from there.

Im not entirely understanding how Rey won at the end? Palpatine wanted her to kill him, right? And she does. So doesn't that mean he won?

The film just straight up goes "Nope".

Also, "I am all the sith". What a terrible line and reply from Rey. This is Star Wars. JJ must've just watched Endgame before writing this out as fast as he could.

He wanted her to strike him down in anger and with the power of the darkside, in order to be corrupted she had to do something that would open the door and didn't.

Those lines were cheesy but come on, the moment with all the cameo voices and such. I also liked that she didn't have to pull some bullcrap super-move and it was simply her faith that the force was with her that pulled her through.

To deliberately sound cheesy, the force was with her.

I enjoy the movie and the new locations that were shown. It didn't feel too long to me though that may have depended on the theater my wife and I were in. It felt like they put in an effort instead of going 'Oh the thing we said in the last movie... yeah forget about it.' yeah there were a few things like that but not like the second movie.

There were two things that I had a problem with.

1. Zorii Bliss - She would be a cool character for a girl to cosplay as but we barely got see in action or even get to know a bit more about her. We didn't get to see her fight except with Rey and she got her but kick, then she came back at the last part of the movie but again dosen't help with cosplay. So a bit more info about her or seeing her fight with a blaster or hand to hand would have better.

2. Knights of Ren - Ok we got sneak peaks at this group from the last few movies then we get to actually see them... giving the word 'stalker' a whole new meaning >.> Again like the above we got to see them more which helps for those who want to cosplay one of them but we didn't get to see a lot from them. When we did get to see them in action it was 5 minutes if that.. and they were taken out like they were nothing. Yeah I know Kylo Ren is the head of the Knights of Ren but come on everyone been waiting for them to get some screen time and you give us stalkers and a half effort fight from them.

What they could have done is probably move the fight scene a bit earlier before the hero had to go help Rey. Maybe then they could have had a longer fight?

I didn’t hate the movie, but it would have had to have done some pretty awful things for that to happen.

I can’t say it was a good movie because it simply wasn’t in my opinion. It was rushed, it lacked impact or emotion, it pulled out new characters, clung to old ones and just ended up being a mess. It was basically a string of good or bad moments where it was minimal and afraid to actually do anything with them. The parts with Chewbacca and C-3PO where particularly poorly handled and wasted.

I saw it with the family, who tend to enjoy Star Wars but aren’t particularly big fans of the franchise, and while they didn’t seem to particularly dislike the movie they seemed to agree that SW movies should just stop now. Which is not a good sign.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom