Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Powers

I was thinking about force and how it is, kind of, ever expanding. and so, maybe there is a chance to create new force powers, or just different versions of a force power. Much like Kinetite, is a variation of Force lightning. maybe there are other variations of force powers or abilities that can be expanded? I was just wanting to know and maybe get some feedback on this. And if there were a chance to make force powers, would the site need to approve of them?

We're pretty much never going to have a 'Power Creation' forum - it's just too tedious and unnecessary.

Essentially, all you need to be worried about is this:

"The Force is Infinite, your ability to use it, however, is not."

Saki

Came in like a wrecking maul
and a general rule of thumb is... if its going only make you stronger don't do it. Some characters like Ashin have variations of a power. Her lightning is very different from most darksiders but it is still bound by most rules. Laine uses a force flash with mimicry to disorient like a flash bang grenade but those are just using existing powers in new ways.

Sarge Potteiger said:
We're pretty much never going to have a 'Power Creation' forum - it's just too tedious and unnecessary. Essentially, all you need to be worried about is this: "The Force is Infinite, your ability to use it, however, is not."
I can understand that.
Jay Scott Clark said:
Yeah... They said I can't have my Gundam either.
poor you.
Saki said:
and a general rule of thumb is... if its going only make you stronger don't do it. Some characters like Ashin have variations of a power. Her lightning is very different from most darksiders but it is still bound by most rules. Laine uses a force flash with mimicry to disorient like a flash bang grenade but those are just using existing powers in new ways.
well I can understand that. and I am not trying to make myself stronger, infact I am trying to keep Xander rather weak force wise. What I guess I was asking is, Are there ways in which someone can change up powers to make something different come from it?

If you want to use the Force a little differently and it's not going to make you "broken", so to speak, then I don't see why you can't just RP it out on the board. In general, we're trusted to be sensible.

There's a fine line between adding a spin to an existing Force Power and creating new abilities altogether. How each character uses the abilities available to them is probably going to be unique. As aforementioned, Ashin uses Force Lightning different than most Dark Siders. Josiah, Siobhan Kerrigan, and Mikhael Shorn all stampede with Telekinesis, but how we go about it is totally different. etc etc, blah blah blah...

However, going outside the canon and making up stuff? *Bleats in the negative*

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Xander Carrick said:
Are there ways in which someone can change up powers to make something different come from it?
Powers, (as we know them), were created by Video Games and Wookieepedia. The Force can do anything. But it's still polite to never go full retard. (AKA Force Unleashed 2). Opening doors, levitating fruit, lighting candles, and creating spontaneous magical effects are completely common-place. Every Jedi loves these little cantrops. No big deal. But when you get into PvP and combat situations... "Less is more". Nobody likes Darkside Tenticales w/ Lightning Tornado Storms pew pew pew. :D

Matreya

Through multiple combinations (using Force Weapon/tk, while making the same area absolutely void of light), Zaiden has learned Umbrakinesis just saying...

Different philosophies lead to different abilities. I see the force as a swirling river through all things and so I believe in being able to sense the shift in force auras. The Aiing-tii somehow warp time with their rainbow ideals, and the sith and jedi see shades of black and white.

As for changing abilities, Plaguies took the force to a metachlorian level to manipulate them to cause a type of immortality. Cade used dark transfer to do the same effect. And master Chligal used a minimizing technique and force healing to become a master healer who essentially brought you back cell by cell.

If you know what your doing, nearly anything is impossible. The Ysanna may not have taught me to use force guidance, but I can still shoot and object straight then bat it around for a crude copy of that ability. A the end of the day, it depends on how creative you are, and what your philosophy is.

Indeed, making a new Force power makes your character strong, but for example, probably all of my Force-user characters have made a variation of an ability that already exists. Lilith's Dark Side Spell doesn't actually corrupt a person. It is more like a Mind Trick. Equa Dominator has made Talking Force thing, but it has almost no advantages. He still has to focus on the thing he is doing. And Jasmine... his ability will come soon, but it will be a variation.

Basically Star Wars canon has shown us so many powers that we could use. Different philosophies mean different powers, like @[member="Vulpesen"] said. I'll have to use one of my characters again, Ephyt-ri, to talk about that. :D She basically knows nothing about the typical Force. She has learned using the Force to control nature and heal (in a bit different way). And Sorcery. Magic has been introduced to Star Wars with Dathomir. It is really different from the Force Jedi and Sith use.

If I had to make a new Force power, I would have to think for days. Everything is already made. I mean... everything that would be logical. Making a Force power to destroy a planet would be clearly too much because even Anakin and Yoda weren't able to do that. And they were probably the absolute limit of Force usage.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Jay Scott Clark said:
Powers, (as we know them), were created by Video Games
This pretty much sums it up. Names to common objects that are easy to familiarize. The Force, in technicality, can do anything. Individuals, however, cannot. Learning to use the Force in completely new ways, apply it in new methods, takes years and sometimes even generations to accomplish. As I'm sure you could imagine, even the most minute alterations to known "powers" would take a great deal of practice and dedication.
Honestly, it all balls down to practicality and believability. Don't be a Tigurius and you should be fine.
There's my .02 credits.

@[member="Lilith Mae Lancaster"], I would like to point out that although the force does have limits, there are ways to do the incredibly powerful. Nihilus gained the power to destroy planets at the price of his own destruction and a constant hunger for power. Just thought I'd say that even though i agree with you on most of what your saying, including all of your major points.

Matreya

Basically the way I see it is as such:

Each Master of the Force you see doing those incredible and original feats, they spent X amount of time learning of the seperate abilities needed to reach the aforementioned effect. That's why in the beginning I saw everyone on the sight saying Umbrakinesis didn't exist, so using the talents he already has, I had Zaiden begin using his own form. In it's literal sense, everyone said it couldn't be done (as I'm sure happened to those canon masters) but it was. Now the site has a Shadow Manipulator.

So basically, as your going through your abilities (and you have one in mind to make) try to take the effects of them and combine them. After X+ amount of practice, using the ability would become a second nature for the character. (Aka start early)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom