Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Private Obscured Sight And Fancy Dreams

It had been much too long since his beloved Leviathan had shone among the stars. Too long since he'd been the one behind her controls. It was a unique vessel, resembling some sort of tentacled beast you'd find in the depths of oceans so dark the very water itself appeared black. Gyroscopic, mesmerizing, a true beauty to behold.
The interior was far more spacious than was necessary for the whims of just one man. That was how he preferred it though, it gave him room to breathe and allowed him to separate out different project spaces so that nothing became overlapped or messy or... well. It was nice to say the least. The one he'd invited to share that space with him did not take up much room either. One might argue she had too few things all together, that even her personal cabin seemed sparse.
Such would change with time, of course. Things seemed to accumulate, especially for individuals such as they who tended toward tinkering.
Speaking of which...
Arcturus came to a halt outside of Tamiko's door. The interior was nice and clean and fairly large. She was afforded a large bed, side tables, an armoire and desk. There were two other doors inside, one which led to a personal refresher, and the other to a small cargo hold that likely lay bare. Room to grow, though, room to breathe. Clearly it was meant to be something of a co-pilot's suite, in fact it more or less mirrored his own. He'd already given her permission to do with the contents of that space - the cabin and the adjoining rooms - as she pleased. It was her home for the foreseeable future, after all.
A hand rose to knock against the durasteel, a rather painful experience for any not familiar with just how much force to put behind it. Thankfully Arcturus was experienced with knocking, he'd been at the beck and call of others for most of his younger years, and that meant waiting for permission to enter.
This was less about permission, and more about building trust between the pair of them. After all, how could they proceed onward into an Apprenticeship without trust?
Not that the phrase Apprenticeship had actually been uttered yet. It was high time that changed.

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
New accommodations had been made in the wake of her departure from Coruscant. That was to be expected, obviously explained to her. But evidently not in enough detail to adequately prepare for what she found herself walking into. Despite the countless expense Arcturus seemed to pull from every corner, the Leviathan was far beyond her scope of imagination. The few instances she'd been airborne were limited to the back of transport ships with barely enough allowance to breath. It felt wholly uncanny not only to step foot in a ship of this caliber, but to understand it was now her living situation.

After being shown her newly deemed quarters, the window was open to grapple with her thoughts. Unpacking didn't offer much in the way of a distraction for as brief as it was. Clothes folded into the wardrobe, bag draped over the edge of a chair, and credits swiftly shoved into a drawer. It suddenly felt ridiculous she'd even thought to bring them. It was spare change in a place like this. What did she plan to do, buy a snack?

Still, it brought a loose semblance of self-reliance she couldn't let go off. Sitting in the lap of luxury wasn't very empowering when it all came as strict generosity. That particularly would be a hard dynamic to wrestle with.

She couldn't call it home, after all who could ever find it possible to adjust that fast? But in some aspect it felt like an outward expression of the new life she welcomed. Definitely less straightforward than what she'd known, but that's often what's required of a fresh start.

Course it was a stiff adjustment, jarring perhaps. Naturally large spaces didn't work in her favor, so this allowance would take some getting used to. However there was time to waste in that regard. Arcturus had given her plenty of space to establish her own familiarity with things.

With that she initiated a shallow exploration of the space she'd been given. Leaving an imprint of her hand in the mattress, feeling the water pressure of the shower against her arm, indulging in each new quality she uncovered with curiosity. The small cargo hold was the last point of interest, tracing her finger of the doorframe she saw the potential for a workspace. Already making plans. Something akin to reassurance blossomed in her.

A knock came from the door, drawing her out of her thoughts. She was quick to answer it, leaning against the door frame with a slight grin.

"Bring a house warming gift?"

Arcturus Dinn Arcturus Dinn

Last edited:
The girls words caused him to raise a brow as she hastily opened the door and leant upon the frame. Housewarming, was it? Though he knew it was said as a joke, there was something pleasant about hearing his beloved ship referred to as such. A house. Maybe one day a home. Certainly for Arcturus himself it was destined to become such once more, though there were faint echoes of the Chaldean here and there which he couldn't quite shake.
He hadn't dared touch his own cabin yet. He'd just sort of moved around from cockpit to workstation, out into the lounge and the kitchenette... Avoiding the door. Avoiding what remnants of her might remain inside.
"Should I have?" he inquired, with a tilt of his head. While he regarded her for a moment, that question hanging between them, he clasped his hands at his back and in doing so called upon the Force. From somewhere a little further in the ship, an item was displaced. It landed into one palm which he outstretched upon its arrival, with a soft slap.
Silence lingered a moment more, before he brought the hand around and presented her with an item. It was not new, by any means, in fact it looked to have been used a lot over the years; looked older than even Arcturus himself. Something he'd once scavenged up from the depths of Lotho Minor - incidentally, the exact same place he'd found his beloved Leviathan. She'd been a mess back then, but he'd restored her to her former glory. Largely had Maliphant to thank for funding the whole thing.
Either way it was held between them. "It's a Sonic Servodriver," he explained, as he waited for her to take it, say something, or whatever. "I know you didn't bring much with you, and with time you'll invest in more tools and the like, but for now... Well, this thing can do a lot provided you put in the time to learn how to use it."
Arcturus then shifted, leaning against the opposing side of the doorframe himself. He was out in the hallway still, of course, he wasn't encroaching on her space. "Figured you'd put it to more use than I would. I'm more of a stand at the forge and pound something new into existence kind of guy. Anyway... She's yours." He shrugged as though this was all so nonchalant.
A small part of him worried whether she'd like it.

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
From her place by the door frame she looked up with a blended look of surprise and intrigue. First at Arcturus then towards the tool. She didn't expect him to take her quip to heart but nonetheless the offer came her way. Careful not to absent mindedly twirl the servodriver, as had become her habit with most of her tool kit she accepted the gift. Taking it between her fingers in an attempt to determine it's inherent purpose. Tinkering obviously, but not at any amateur level.

"To be honest I was impressed enough by the silk bed sheets." She responded attention directed towards the piece of machinery in her possession. She turned it over, keeping a secure grip. No doubt the item wasn't fragile, withstanding years of good use, but she still felt hesitant to wield it with any negligence. "Where'd you get it?" Her eyes briefly flitted up towards Arcturus before being pulled back down to the tool. He was right to say it had plenty potential. It was expressively multi functional, some wildly enhanced screwdriver. Put in the time to learn how to use it. It felt like he posed a challenge, one she'd find no trouble in accepting. She always had an almost childish passion reserved for melding with things,

"I pack light," She replied nonchalantly to his comment on what little luggage she brought. Of course it was a justified observation, but nonetheless she wriggled under her own scrutiny of the line. She couldn't stand a feeling of dependency. Brushing that aside her attention was quickly reabsorbed by the tool, pondering how she could apply it. After another moment past she continued with an appreciative nod, "I'll make sure to put it to good use."

In response to what he said next she quirked an eyebrow, redirecting her attention once more. "Didn't strike me as a black smith." She tilted her head regarding him.

Following an impressed hm she turned to fiddle with the tool. "Does that mean you use a double edge sword instead of a lightsaber?" The comment was delivered as a joke but her expression turned to genuine curiosity in the moment it took her to realize that wasn't a wild assumption. She barely knew him or his lifestyle besides the evident wealth. It wasn't a given every force user wielded a lightsaber, just the impression left by her only real exposure to the force, Jedi.

"Well, why skimp on the bedsheets when everything else is so sublime?" he mused aloud, glancing upward at the durasteel plating which made up the vast majority of the ship's interior. It was nice and clean, in many ways it looked brand new but he knew better than that. Her question was met with something of a wry grin.
"Same place I found Leviathan, in the bottom of a junk pit on Lotho Minor. I was assisting some rich boy in his endeavors to unearth something or another, hired muscle if you will. On top of paying me, he helped me lug a few things out of there... I doubt he was expecting me to find a whole ship, of course, but then life is funny like that sometimes."
He blinked, for a moment having surprised even himself with the openness of his response. And in that moment he also realized there was much he hadn't explained, which would make his explanation seem... weird.
"Contrary to how I may seem, my life is not one of splendor; the speeder was a gift, the clothes? well... One cannot represent another being while in relative rags. The appearance you saw on Coruscant, the suite, the clothes, the whatever, that was all done for my own Master's benefit. I do hope that answers any questions you might have had. If not? Well... Ask away." The time for being reserved was over, she'd learn it all in time anyway so why not make it easier.
Lay everything out there so that they could proceed onward.
Talks of Masters reminded him of one of the reasons he'd approached her door in the first place. Before he could address such however she queried him on his choice of weapon. It was a light question, one she likely didn't expect an answer to, all the same he saw the curiosity arise within her. So he reached for his belt, and unsheathed a small dagger which lay there. It was smooth and clean-looking, one might argue minimalist, with a leather wrap and runes etched along the length of the blade itself. It was all formed of one piece of metal, unlike some more traditional ones which had guards and the like slotted into place.
A throwing knife. It definitely looked like it had been made to be thrown.
"I have a lightsaber too, of course, as is tradition, but this is much preferred to such." He quirked a smile her way. "And yes, I am a blacksmith. One day you'll see my forge, don't you doubt it."
A blacksmith and a tinkerer and an artificer... So many projects, so little time. Speaking of.
"Come, I wish to show you something. And while we wander, there's something I'd like to speak with you about. Call it a formality."
Waiting just a moment, so that she could assess the dagger in whatever way she wished, he proceeded to slip it back into its sheath and then push away from the doorframe, heading further into the ship and toward a room which held half finished projects. Ones more grounded in technology than the Alchemical arts.
"I have informed you of some of my origins, of the titles I hold. Sith... We've a specific sort of structure to our ranks, Tamiko, and though I do not intend on bringing you directly into their realm of existence - at least not until such a time as you may desire it - I would like to discuss formalizing our... arrangement. I firmly believe that it will only be to our benefit, to set boundaries and expectations from the get go."
He flicked his gaze back toward her.
"Thoughts?" He hadn't said the terms yet, he had not stated the words Master or Apprentice, but she knew about the Sith in some capacity, knew enough to understand that they wielded lightsabers, and opposed the Jedi. So maybe she would understand what he meant here too.

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
Unable to restrain her amazement, she straightened removing her weight from the door as if assessing it’s validity, “You dredged this up from a junk world?” Surveying the room she exhaled a incredulous laugh, “Guess dumpster diving has its uses.”

Before she could ask who him of all people considered a rich boy, he swiftly added context to his appearance. Once again he caught her off guard, just when she feels she’s forming some understanding around him.

So your not some noble. Your Master just dressed you up?” The word felt weird in her mouth, some mystic title belonging to another world. She heard it plenty of times in reference to the Jedi. Though for Arcturus she wondered if that’s the only context it fell under. “You definitely pass well for the upper class douchebag type.” Loosing a slight grin she shifted her thoughts falling back onto his mention of his master. After a moment elapsed she tilted her head towards Arcturus with a more leveled tone, “Are you still an apprentice yourself?” There was no doubt in his abilities embedded in the statement, More so prodding for some insight on how this new world functioned and the formalities tied to it. “Who’s your Master?” That statement was backed with a different curiosity. Was his teacher just as untraditional of Arcturus seemed to be, or more aligned with the classic Sith motif? Not that she knew the functional difference or really any meaningful contentions of the world she just entered.

In response to the dagger Arcturus pulled from his belt Tamiko reached out, feeling the untainted metallic base and the idents left by the etched runes. A throwing knife, no protective guards or heavy embellishments just a practical weapon. She paused, fingers hovering over the knife.

She wasn't unprotected, no matter her circumstances, life on Coruscant required a knowledge of self defense. But time and time again her blindness undercut faith in her abilities. Profiled as a vulnerable target. Close combat was her preferred method of confrontation. It was visceral, instinctive, played well to her capabilities and lack thereof. Still her impairment was always an unavoidable hindrance. Only now the question of what Arcturus had planned surfaced. “You’ll teach me to fight with something like this?” She withdrew her hand, looking up. Burying her anxiety awaiting his response.

She trailed next to Arcturus as he prompted her to follow. Formalities was it? Her eyes flickered over towards him as he referred to himself as a Sith. Technically the truth, but the word still held distance with her, when she was still so blind to what it all entailed. Her assumptions had gradually loosened but their was still hesitancy present in her. More from uncertainty at the unknown than anything else.

He asked about boundaries. What dynamic to establish between them. Considering his flexibility so far, that wasn't a surprise."I'm dedicating myself to whatever you have teach. Whatever label comes along with that student, apprentice.." She looked over towards him as they continued forward, "I'll accept."

"I expect my questions to be answered." She followed up on the second part of his statement with a reaffirming tone, "So far I can't complain."

Last edited:
"In a far sorrier state than it appears to be in now, yes. A lot of work went into making her space safe again, but I'd say it paid off wouldn't you?"
What came next was a series of questions, none of which he saw fit to answer until she was done asking them. About his position, and his Master. He sighed, knowing that she wouldn't receive all the answers she was hoping for, and regarded her solemnly for a moment.
"Some of that is not mine to tell," he informed her off the bat, hoping to soften the blow of his first unanswered question. "My Master's identity is not mine to share. As to whether I remain his Apprentice... Yes. In a sense, I do. Though our arrangement as it presently stands is coming toward its natural conclusion. More of a formality than anything else these days."
Formality. How many times would he use that same karkin' word today? Hopefully not many times more. It was starting to feel monotonous in his mouth.
"Dressed me up is not quite the right set of words for it, more... He was not satisfied with how I was parading around the Galaxy, and expected some semblance of a better reflection on his person. I must confess, had you met me just a week prior you'd probably look at me differently. But that is all behind me now, a momentary slip. What you see before you now is more indicative of who I am."
Still clean cut, dressed sharply, he could easily pass for an upper class douchebag as she'd so wonderfully called it, but that was just surface level. Something he'd earned through strife. Not so inherent within him.
He'd argue none of it rightly mattered. Maybe he was giving too much away. But he didn't know how this would work if they were not at least a little bit honest with one another. He wasn't like Maliphant had been back then, he didn't command power or respect - certainly did not force it from others - he was as he was.
Maybe that made this whole thing uniquely different. Maybe this could be something other than a Sith and his Apprentice... Even if he'd make use of tools and terms and powers learned through the Order.
She seemed intrigued by the blade, and he turned it over for her so that she could get a better impression of it in totality.
"If you wish. Tangible blades and daggers, I can teach you to wield them, forge them even if you've the desire for such. In time no doubt we'll get you a lightsaber of your own, too. It is what tradition dictates, after all."
Blade soon tucked away, they began their journey through the ship. She didn't have much of an opinion on which titles were used, so he opted to shrug. "Apprentice it is, then" it seemed right. Student seemed a little too... flimsy. But if she was Apprentice, then that would leave him with its antithetical role. "Master and Apprentice. You may use such formal flare as you see fit while we are in private, should we end up around peers however I do request that you put it to good use, Tamiko. Worry not, I'll warn you ahead of time."
He realized that might not make much sense to someone who was not familiar with the structures of the Sith or their expectations. Another sigh, this one directed at his own folly. "I do not wish for any other to think they can sink their hooks into you. I want it known that you are mine to teach. I hope that such makes sense."
They came upon the room he was looking for, and he inputted a code which caused it to open up. Arcturus stepped aside, allowing her to take it all in. To most it would seem like relative junk, bits and pieces scavenged from random parts of the Galaxy. Bits of droids and weapons and other devices. He leaned on the doorframe and crossed his arms.
"The code's 45131" he informed her. "You may take from it whatever you please, to do with as you will. I understand the drudgery that space travel can bring, and while you'll have plenty to read and learn and practice, I do expect that you'll take some downtime for yourself too."
He pushed away from the door, contemplating leaving her there to explore, before he paused.
"Besides, that way you'll be free to sell whatever you produce at the starports and space stations we'll pass through."
A girl needed her independence, especially when she'd been struggling to try and gain it for so many years. It was a lesson he'd struggled to learn, and it had taken him a great many years in the service of others to realize he also had to be in service of himself. For his own future. He nodded his head once at some unuttered through, then patted her shoulder lightly.
"I'll be in the kitchen, when you're ready. Caf'?"
He was already heading off down the hall. Arcturus wasn't the biggest fan of caf' in truth, but there were other options for him to peruse. Then? Well.. Then they could truly begin.

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
He wasn't very forthcoming with information at first. There were some points that couldn't be tread on, at least for now. Still, she took in everything he decided to relinquish.

"The Sith seem pretty wrapped up in procedure." She threw out the comment unceremoniously. His phrasing seemed mechanical to her, arrangement over relationship. Maybe that was just expected decorum. Still she found it hard to imagine taking up that formality with Arcturus, creating some small layer of ice."Sounds more faithful to tradition."

After he laid out his own reflection she regarded him. He was right, he was no elitist, far removed from her first shallow impression. He proved to be sensible, more understanding then she first gave him credit for. With the little overlap of their lives it was hard to see all that was bubbling inside him. "Fell from grace?" She prodded, backed with a lighthearted tone.

In reaction to his agreement over her combat training something akin to anticipation blossomed in her. Summoned by an admittedly childish infatuation with such weaponry. "I'll look forward to that." She examined the dagger before relinquishing it back to Arcturus. A grin pulled at her lips.

He then went on to outline the titles and expectations pertaining to their dynamic. Tamiko first exchanged a questioning glance before morphing into some understanding."I have no problem doing that for clarity's sake." She shrugged, it was a simple request after all. Wasn't demanding anything she wasn't willing to do."Also, I wouldn't run off with your first competition on my own volition. Even if they happen to have a nicer ship." She stuck him with a humorful glance, "So we're clear." Arcturus's concern didn't seem to have the same impact on her. His claim was likely grounded in realism, but this reality was still foreign to her. There was evident conviction in her voice. Arcturus had extended a hand of opportunity, offered recourse, became a fixture of improvement in her life. Taking that for granted, substituting him for someone else felt impossible. By her choice of course. But as Arcturus seemed to be referring to, choice might not be in the interest of every potential teacher she'd meet.

With that they arrived at their destination, the door pushing open with a mechanical hiss. She entered admittedly confused at first until her she brought up her hand, shuffling her fingers over a compilation of droid parts and other shelved mechanisms. She pushed forward, unveiling more thrifted items collected from the reaches of the galaxy. Intrigue and possibility bubbled inside her. Quite literally everything she could think to make was at her fingertips, with a little added creativity of course. Deep in constructive thought she almost missed Arcturus's added comment on selling her creations. Examining a droid head she shifted to look over her shoulder and exhaled a laugh, tainted slightly by her astonishment at the moment. "You want a cut?" she joked, though in all sincerity she would be more than willing. "Y'know you should really charge me for rent."

As he turned to leave, offering her Caf' with a considerate tap of her shoulder she nodded, still drawn into her assessment of the room. "I could go for some."

Left to her own wiles she took in the room. Some feeling of belief resonated in her. She'd spent so much time surviving for herself. The knowledge someone else was willing to invest in her, saw some long unnoticed potential within her surfaced a type of reassurance she'd almost forgotten the feeling of. She wanted to prove him right, that whatever he saw in her could be cultivated into something greater. Fulfilling his expectations settled as underlying motiavtion within her.

She rummaged deeper into the amassed collection, picking through a couple objects that caught her interest and setting them aside to return to later, confident she'd be back here. Some place she could easily devote her time to. With that she turned to the exit, heading out to join him in the kitchen.

"That would make sense," he remarked of her comments about the Sith, "Modern day Sith are the product of Imperialism, after all. Beneath all the petty infighting and vying for power, it's really a load of bureaucracy." Maybe that was why he rejected it so much. Arcturus longed to be free of chains, and the Sith did a very good job of forging new ones at every turn. Chains of loyalty, chains of duty, even the Darkside itself was a chain. Perhaps the worst of them all. It fed from your very being, and would take over if you allowed it.
A parasite.
Better they remain on the fringes. It had its benefits, it allowed him to delve into all manner of mystical, occultish facets of the Force, permitted him to shape the world and those within it as he saw fit. All of that was what kept him going back for more... He hoped that was all it would ever be. Deep down he wasn't so stupid as to believe that, though.
Either way it was no matter. For now he was more or less free to do as he pleased. And he'd take full advantage of that. No Empire, no roots... Yeah. Free. Even if he wasn't the only one making the journey now.
Her question had him smirk. "We all have momentary lapses in our judgement. I do not doubt that one day I'll be pulling you back up the way in which my Master did with me. We are, after all, only human. The trick, Tamiko, is knowing how to move on after the fact." Arcturus had not intended to move on from it quite so quickly. Having that suite to detox in had certainly done him wonders. So too, it would seem, had stumbling upon her. Something to focus on, to dedicate his time to. Failing himself at this point meant failing another.
She'd already given him some level of trust, in that she was here. He couldn't see that misplaced.
After making a mental note of her fascination with his blade, talks had turned to Apprenticeships and titles, and she seemed rather accommodating of it all. Heck, she was clearly growing more comfortable with all of the changes judging by how quick she was to make quips. "Good," he responded, with one firm nod of his head. It made sense though, didn't it? Why risk the unknown all over again if she didn't have to?
Though a mock look of offense did come over his expression.
"Did you see this ship? She's a beauty. I challenge you to find a nicer one, especially among Sith."
There that word was again. It was coming out a little more comfortably now though, now that it held little weight between them. A formality, she'd even acknowledged it as such. On some level surely she understood how little it would play into their relationship.
Once they reached the room, he stood and observed her for a moment as she entered and touched a few of the items. She seemed as though she was sleepwalking, her touch was rather light and each step she took seemed fleeting. A smile formed on his lips though she wasn't even looking his way. Yep, just as he'd thought, she'd make much more use of it than he had.
"I'm always stumbling across scrap. It's a wonder I haven't taken up post as a scavenger by now. I'm sure we'll find more to replenish the room with too. Junk, that's what it all is, but if you make something of it then that's all that matters. No cut." He pinned her with his gaze; he had no need for her to pitch in like that. Not when it came to rent or creds for credits sake. Though when he said it part of him wondered if maybe allowing her to contribute in some way might not be a bad idea.
"If you want to pitch in for fuel or food every now and then though... I mean, heck, that stuff gets burned through pretty fast, doesn't it?"
If you want. No pressure, no rush to produce the credits. Just... When she could. Yeah. That seemed right. After all, he was the one who'd dragged her away from Coruscant. Welcome aboard, now pay your way. Nah. Maliphant had never expected such of him, he was the student, something of a son, and his focus had been on his studies, his education. So too would Tamiko's.
Say what you will about Maliphant, but he was a good role model for such relationships.
He left her then, heading into the kitchen, and once there he filled up the caf' maker and set it to one mug mode. It took him a moment of watching it to realize he could have been spending that time making his own drink. He opened up one of the cupboards, trying to figure out what it had been restocked with, when his eyes fell over a bottle of whiskey in the very back.
Arcturus stared at it for a long time. Then he pulled it free from its place. Without giving it much thought, he pulled off the stopper and tipped the contents down the sink. The bottle was pretty enough, maybe he'd find a use for it. He set that aside, then pulled out a pouch of tea leaves instead.
By the time tea and caf' were made, Tamiko was crossing the threshold to meet him.
"I wasn't sure how you took it. There's sugar and milk, and the like; help yourself. Kitchen's free to use any time of the day. Hard to dictate when it's lunch or dinner in the midst of space, wouldn't you agree?"
He took his mug over to the table, and slipped into a seat. Waited for her to be done fixing her drink, then gestured for her to sit across from him.
"How are you feeling? It's a lot, all of this change. Before we move on to what I have planned, I just... I want to make sure you're settling in."
He remembered his first few days with Maliphant. Overwhelming... It had been overwhelming. Frequent check-ins were made, by Maliphant himself or by Odana, and it had helped. Maybe not immensely, certainly not immediately, but over time.
Once she'd responded, he pressed on to the first of their many topics.
"First and foremost, before we get into theory, or philosophy, or anything more intense or impressive, I'd like for us to build upon your mental fortitude. You almost got the hang of Telepathy, back on Coruscant, I'd like to finish that. Make it so that you can use it on others, too... And then with the foundations made, we'll show you how to resist it. How to make an impenetrable fortress of your mind. There are many out there in this Galaxy who would try to glean information from you, Tamiko, or control you in some way. I won't stand for that. I won't allow it. So... That comes first. Above all else."
A pause.
"Any questions?"

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
He responded to her prodding with a heavily introspective reflection, sounding like a man who'd come to terms with whatever regret he was made to face down. His statement morphed into reassurance that he'd pull her up if she ever fell. That it was human nature to fail, sometimes to the point of dependency.

There it was again, Arcturus voicing his commitment, someone willing to look after her. It was difficult to wrap her head around at first, her old worn skepticism inviting itself into her thoughts.She was out of practice in terms of commitment, having been her own responsibility for so long without bringing on the burden of another person to care about. That ability to uproot, distance herself before she faced any real hurt was residual of a strictly independent life. Arcturus was the first person since her brother to draw her away from that solitary, challenged the disconnect. However gradual. It was hard to recognize the amount of trust she'd already turned over.

"Then I'll try not to make you worry." She replied lightly.

Her attention became directed at his next comment. She restrained a laugh at the mock offense he'd taken, looking over towards Arcturus she bit back, “What do they all live in caves or something? You can't be the only one with a nice ride."

Once they reached the room, she dove into her shallow exploration. At Arcturus's comment she exhaled a laugh. "Junk seems a bit unappreciative, you clearly didn't salvage all this just to have a massive trash can on deck." She turned, sticking Arcturus with a humorful look. At his comment on food and fuel she nodded, appreciative of the offer. Course she'd make good use of it, she still wanted to provide for herself in whatever sense she could. " 'Least I could do."

After her brief excursion in the depths of salvaged material she headed out towards the kitchen, where Arcturus was sure to be waiting.

She crossed under the open door, accepting her mug as Arcturus offered it. Making herself busy over the counter as she searched for a spoon, she chuckled in response to his comment.

"I'm pretty used to not knowing the time." She leaned against the counter drawing her cup over her lap and waving a hand in front of her eyes.

She tore into a packet of sugar pouring out the contents before sliding out a chair across from Arcturus. Wrapping her fingers around the base of the drink.

Blinking as he inquired to how she was settling in, she prepared some simple response. To rush past his consideration just to reach whatever came afterwards. Stopping herself she shifted. Trust was fragile, moments like these would certainly be critical for strength. Feeling a push to be genuine she gave in.

"I feel like I have room to breathe." It was a straightforward delivery, emphasized with a slight shrug of her shoulders. "Look where you found me-" she paused momentarily searching for her thoughts. "I was holed up in that garage for awhile. And before that it was more or less the same." Well significantly better with her brother at her side but that wasn't relevant information, hadn't been for a while now.

"I ran with whatever philosophy kept my blood pumping. But this-“ she gestured vaguely, "It’s an actual direction to follow." 'Direction' was a cheap way to summarize it. An opportunity, a doorway.

"Suffice to say I'm ready for it.”

After that he delved into an his planned agenda to which Tamiko listened carefully. After a moment of deliberation, mulling over his words, she shot back a response.

“Back on Coruscant all I did was talk back into my subconscious. Sure, I could sense a vague impression of you.“ Swishing her drink, she stuck him with a prodding gaze "But that wasn't me actively using the force was it? Just the residue of you tapping into my mind.”

“How do you access someone's psyche then?" She looked back at him expectantly, before rolling her shoulder and bringing her drink to her lips. "I can sense what's around me to some degree, but that's essentially just above-average depth perception. You didn't just pinpoint my presence but interacted with it.“

"So I guess my question is, how do I reach your mind?" She leaned back in her chair, setting down her mug.

Arcturus chuckled at the mention of Sith and caves, and shook his head lightly.
"No, in truth they tend to take pride in their vessels. But still, Leviathan is a wonder unto herself." She moved gyroscopically through the void, like a swimming squid. It was mesmerizing to behold, though he'd rarely seen it for himself given that he was the one piloting her. The few times he'd seen her move by someone else's hand though, when he'd stood outside and watched her... Yeah, she was wonderful.
Then they were talking junk. He stepped a little further into the room at that, touching the various parts he'd salvaged over the years. "One man's junk is another's treasure, is that not how the saying goes? In these pieces I saw potential. Some of them are ancient, some might not ever even work, but I figured it was worth at least trying to renew them, wouldn't you agree?"
Not junk then. Certainly not trash. Too much was so readily thrown away, cast aside. Even when it came to his hunts, Arcturus rejected that approach. He'd make use of every single part of a creature, in some way or another, and in the end that had given him so many different materials to work with in his own projects. Leathers, and bones, and acids. Waste not, want not. Honour the beast for what it was.
In a way such pieces of technology should be treated similarly.
Back out in the kitchen, he watched as she fixed herself a drink the way she wanted it to be made and tried to remember it for next time. Her mention of not having a good grasp on time made him shake his head some, a slight smile playing over his lips. Sometimes it was easy to forget her ailment, she seemed to just plough on ahead in spite of it. Admirable, in truth, would he take it in his stride if he lost his vision too?
Thankfully, the Force could be a blessing for such. Perhaps he'd teach her how to view the world through it one of these days - if she wanted to, of course. That was a very personal thing to force upon another; he wouldn't make her.
She joined him at the table, sitting across from him, and for a moment he was worried she wouldn't reply. She had that resigned look in her eye, the tell them what they want to hear look. But then she did speak, and she spoke with sincerity. "Good," he replied, when she spoke of having the room to breathe. "I am glad you are free of that place. In time you'll see as much of the Galaxy as you'd like, there are worlds out there which you wouldn't even believe existed. So full of life, air so clean it's dizzying. Your fate will be your own again, Tamiko. This I promise you."
Why did he care so much? That was the question which drifted into his brain once he'd said his piece. Why was he willing to go out of his way to do all of this? To shake up his existence, and provide her with a better future? He watched her for a moment, quietly in thought. He could have left her there, on Coruscant, left her to whatever future awaited her in the wake of her bosses misdeeds. She had meant nothing to him, after all, just another face in the crowd.
But here she was, sat across from him on his ship, headed to Force knew where. Maybe it was the trust she'd placed in him. Maybe he just saw some of himself in her. Maybe he figured it was his turn to pay it forward... Whatever the reason, he realized he was sincere in it all. Arcturus couldn't decide if he was comforted by that fact or scared.
Talks turned to her use of Telepathy, or lack thereof, and Arcturus shrugged his shoulders. "The fact that you engaged with me at all was a positive first step," he assured her, "That you could sense me there more so." She wanted to get right into it, she wanted to learn how to bridge the gap between them for herself, and Arcturus' smile deepened at that. Good, she was hungry for more. He just hoped she didn't lose her appetite for learning along the way.
"You say that you have used the Force before, though you may not have understood what you were doing or how. The Force lies within all of us, within everything, even materials such as those we find around us. Close your eyes, Tamiko, and focus. Focus on me, on my voice, you know where in the room I am. More than that, focus on yourself. You'll find it in there, if you look hard enough, the faint machinations of the Force, it flows through you as readily as your blood. You can grasp at it, if you try, you can bend it to your will."
Arcturus for his part closed his eyes too, though he reached out and toward Tamiko. Establishing the first signs of a connection, without fully committing. More so that she had an easier time sensing him. "You feel me there, no? That presence, the energy surrounding it, seek similar within yourself. It might not be as loud now as it will be with continual use and practice, but it is there."
He waited, hoping that she'd at least garner the briefest of hints of it, that she'd sense it even if she could not grasp it. Waited patiently, for as long as it took.
"When you have it, Tamiko, push forth. Reach through it to where I am. Focus on me, focus on what you're hoping to achieve. Intent is all it is, in truth, will it to do as you please."

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
At his mention of the wider galaxy her mind brushed against stories of otherworldly travels often traded in the streets of Coruscant. They always stirred a certain taste for exploration within her. Some desire impossible to indulge in, being anchored to the depths of the underworld with the anticipation of a tiger circling its cage. Despite the possibility she was surrounded by, the only image that manifested clearly was of a large open field, stretching to the horizon. An admittedly underwhelming visual, but nonetheless one that held weight. She'd moved from one ecumenopolis to the next, the entirety of her life having been lived in the confines of lofty buildings smashed together, encircling her. By result it was almost natural she'd learn to make herself smaller, her presence lost in the mix of the city. She wanted to find herself somewhere she could demand space.

Space was a commodity after all. And so was the freedom that came with it.

She looked over at Arcturus after he wrapped up his response with another promise. He'd made plenty of those so far, to the point she couldn't keep track. Why was he so willing to tie himself up with her life, to invest in her. What did he see in her?

To be fair she had her own mysteries twisting below her surface, ones she didn't know how to begin to address. It was easy to interpret her decision to join Arcturus as grasping for a better straw, trying to climb the ranks in whatever way she could. It's essentially what she'd done, just looking out for herself. But whatever way she warped it, she couldn't imagine accepting everything she had in the past few hours if it hadn't been Arcturus offering. Whatever place he was taking up in her life didn't feel impermanent like so many others. Of course on the path she set out for herself it wouldn't be. She almost didn't recognize her appreciation of the fact. She too was investing in him, with more allowance then she'd rationally extend considering her habits of reservation. She didn't know how to feel about it, hadn't had to for a while now.

"Sounds promising." a small smile formed on her lips, "I really have been needing the opportunity to stretch my legs." The galaxy was at her fingertips. It was a refreshing change of pace to say the least.

The discussion shifted its focus onto telepathy, sparking some inherent want for information. His reply was constructive, encouraging her focus and effort to be centered. The Force lies in everything.

She readjusted in her seat, eyes closing shut. Summoning her full awareness, she tried to extend her senses out, attempting to replicate moments of sporadic force use from her memory. Underwhelmed at first as she sat concentrating, she didn't feel pulled into a hive of activity. No apparent sensation. Her strength in the force was admittedly too feeble to detect anything notable without continuous effort. She had no option but to listen intently, in hopes of being guided in the right direction. Focus on him, focus of herself. She soaked up the advice trying to corral her thoughts. Taking a stabilizing breath she reached inward, searching. It was slow going at first, frustration building up with ease. But after a moment she unearthed the vague but unmistakable impression of her presence, grabbing onto it afraid it would slip her hands. A spark of satisfaction coursed through her nonetheless. Emboldened she pushed forward out into the space lingering between them. The flickers of Arcturus' presence was immediate, no doubt thanks to him meeting her halfway. She reeled in her anticipation, her excitement threatening to pull her out of the moment. "It's vague," she murmured back a moment before correcting herself,"Or I guess you're vague. Still there's something there that's tangible."

Extending her senses more confidently she tried to trample some unseen barrier. Her movements were rough, unrefined and evidently unfocused. But not everything could be learned in one day. Pushing forward, Arcturus's words of intent drove her. Drove her to the point her awareness was nearly engulfed by his presence. She felt as if she'd arrived at some door, however still too uncoordinated to find the handle. Searching for an opening of any kind see tried to spark a connection.

Last edited:
Truth be told, Tamiko's strength of will and desire to push on through her difficult first steps into the Force did wonders for ensuring him he'd made the right decision by investing in her future. How long they sat there in the kitchen, lost within their own minds as she fought to breach his, Arcturus could not rightly say. He truly did not pay much attention at all to the passage of time in space, it seemed all together a pointless endeavour. Certainly long enough that her strain could soon be felt.
"Okay," he spoke, softly enough so as not to purposely startle her, as he pulled back his mind from the void between them. "Good work, Apprentice, you've made a good first step in sensing me there. There is no sense in pushing yourself to breaking point, however. This is something more of a marathon than a sprint."
Coruscant was not built in a day. Here they were dealing with Tamiko's first conscious attempts at learning how to harness and wield the Force, and the last thing they needed was for her to lose hope in her abilities. He remembered the pushback he'd given initially when he felt as though he'd been given no choice in the matter, he would not back her into a similar corner.
Instead he rose up from his seat, and stepped over to a bookcase which lay to one side. His more personal, more treasured and valuable collection was within his office, but many of those earlier tomes Maliphant had seen fit to bestow upon him, when he was no more informed than the girl before him was, were out here for public use.
Like Maliphant before him, he brought two of those books before Tamiko. There was a third, too, an obscure book Kal Kal had gifted him when he'd first made a purchase of Living Clay. He knew not its origins, nor how valid it truly was, but having flicked through it every now and then he'd found at least some nuggets of truth scattered throughout. Still that pertained more to Sorcery... Would she even find value in such? He left it where it lay for now.
"Now, please don't feel overwhelmed. I'm not expecting you to immediately read these front to back." Each of the tomes were decidedly different in size, which would hopefully enable her to differentiate between them. He made sure to set them in front of her, and suggest that she give them a feel, as he explained what each of them were. "Aspects of the Force, The Light and the Dark," It was a fairly thick tome he handed her.
He gave her a minute, before passing over the next. "Studies of the Force" this one was not quite so thick, about two thirds the size of the previous. Again he waited, before settling his hands to his back. There was of course the slight hitch of her not being able to see, and these were not holobooks they were the real deal. All the same, he knew it was something to be worked through.
"I'll send for a Protocol droid to be dispatched to the next world we encounter. If you have any preference as to type or personality, be sure to let me know. Until then, I recommend storing them in your cabin so that you don't forget about them. Their lessons will prove invaluable, but they are rather dense so pace yourself. Oh, and Tamiko, these are no substitute for our actual lessons."
Then he dismissed her.
Over the next few days Arcturus would send for her, while no doubt seeing her between their Telepathy sessions, and he'd patiently repeat the lesson of that first day with varied intensity. Some days he'd be quieter, allowing her to feel the ebbs and flow of the Force for herself, and other days he'd push her harder than before, and allow his presence to light up like a beacon. Yes, patience was a virtue he practiced well in those first days, and no doubt one she'd come to know intimately also.
Frustration no doubt also. But he did little to truly dismiss that from her, emotions were a solid pathway toward harnessing the Force after all, it increased the intensity and the focus. Not rage, though, whenever such might have threatened to come to the surface he'd pull back and put an end to the session. He did not need her succumbing to the chains of the Darkside, not before she understood what that truly meant.
And so, after an undisclosed number of days spent trying to bridge the gap, Arcturus sent for Tamiko once more. This time it was not the dining table she was brought to, however. Quite the contrary. In the night, or what consisted as their sleeping hours, another vessel had pulled up beside them and latched itself onto Leviathan's airlock, bridging a gap of its own. It had been a very long time indeed since Arcturus had laid eyes upon Beholder, his meditation spherecraft which had been gifted by Kal Kal of Masque back in their Academy days.
It was a strange vessel to be sure, but now that it was here it would no doubt aid in their endeavours. So he led her aboard, and therein bade her to sit cross-legged on the ground. He took a similar position across from her, hands splayed against his knees.
"You have been getting closer each passing day, Apprentice," he informed her, making use of the title they'd agreed upon for perhaps the very first time in sincerity. It felt like a monumental moment, though perhaps his reunion with Beholder had something to do with that. All the same... "You will find that the Force comes more readily to you here. Some may view it as a crutch for one just finding their way within its flow, though I would beg to differ. Once you understand the last push you require to truly forge the connection, once you understand how to truly bend the Force to your will, you will find it more readily available to you in your future endeavours. As such, I'd argue it's quite useful."
Arcturus closed his eyes, as he had so many times, and quietly bid her to do the same. "Okay, let's try again..."

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
Her concentration crumbled under the weight of mounting frustration. Time stretching beyond her perception. Feeling her grasp on the moment slip she muttered a kark under her breath. Arcturus, seemingly sensing her irritation a moment before it was voiced, interfered with a gentle withdrawal followed by a few words of reassurance. He encouraged patience, clearly looking to avoid any burnout inevitable in her.

Recognizing his intention, however begrudgingly, the defeat stung all the same. Realistically this would take time. She couldn't deny that despite her want to plough forward. As if she could accomplish everything by sheer willpower only. Impatience was a vice inherent in her. It was easy to see the failure that set her up for.

"That's it then?" Drawing herself up, she tried to clear the mental fog from her head. "I've never done this deliberately before." she commented, shaking her head slightly as an ironic smile played on her lips, "Though I suppose that's obvious." She tried to minimize her own disappointment. What was she expecting really? For everything to just come to her? As fast paced as the last day had been, slower exceptions had to be set.

As she accepted this, Arcturus moved from his spot at the table, returning with a column of books after a momentary exploration on the other side of the room. Set between them with a thud, her gaze shifted from the books to Arcturus with a quirked eyebrow,"You know I don't have much use for books."

Nonetheless she examined them, feeling the spines and taking note as Arcturus handed them over with a brief explanation. Now this was the real mystic shit. Curiosity was plain on her face as she turned them over, as if expecting that to give her any real impression of what hid in the pages.

"Assigned reading?" She looked over at him with apparent humor, "Taking this teaching gig seriously I see." Despite how collected he established himself to already be she couldn't help but be surprised by his preparation. Maybe these were just obvious resources at his disposal, but they seemed like thoughtful choices, especially for someone who'd just taken a student on the whim.

He solved the issue of her obvious hindrance with the mention of a protocol droid. Of course these books, probably a rarity on their own, wouldn't have an audio copy for her to use. Still she looked up at him with mild surprise. A personal droid huh?

"No worries, I'll make sure they're in pristine condition." With a small smile she thumbed the pages of one copy.

The next days were spent assimilating, with routine bouts of telepathy with Arcturus slowly solidifying her ability. Not to the point of complete capability of course, there was still plenty of work to be done. But there was also progress. Progress in other unrelated areas too, which she was sure to bring up with Arcturus, relishing in new possibilities. An awareness of her surroundings came easier, so did interacting with them. Levitating a pen for as long as she could became a daily ritual outside of practice when she'd find herself squared over her desk with components sourced from the salvage deck.

With the overlap of their lives she found herself asking whatever questions came to mind, not only of the force but the wider galaxy. In whatever conversations resulted she tried to stand on her own, contributing as much as she asked for. Like any kid she wanted to be treated as an equal. She shared about herself too, nothing of substance, only superficial stories of bar fights and pickpocketing but still something tangelibe. Her room quickly became coinhabited by a multitude of projects, the servodriver perpetually left out on her desk for ease of access. Despite her restlessness, she could see herself moving forward, bringing about a small sense of satisfaction.

Roughly two weeks elapsed before she was drawn out of her sleep by Arcturus. Trying to shake the fatigue from her limbs she voiced her complaints with a twinge of humor, "Warn me before you decide on a late night escapade will you?" It was casual, evidence of the bond forming. She followed Arcturus aboard less than begrudgingly, her curiosity soaring. As instructed she sat, taking a meditative position in anticipation as Arcturus did the same. He used apprentice again to address her, echoing a feeling of sincerity.

"What is this place?" She prodded, now fully awake,"Some echochamber for the force?"
Relaxing in an attempt to summon a semblance of concentration she exhaled a laugh,"Or training wheels?"

Following Arcturus's example she closed her eyes, letting her senses drift out naturally in an attempt to collect her surroundings. Arcturus's presence was instantaneous at this point, immediately a blip on her radar. Like before, she went to close the mental gap between them, her reach growing more focused with each attempt. Though her abilities had grown in their own regard, this space seemed to have a way of honing them further. The first tangible flickers of Arcturus's conscious consumed her awareness. In response she instinctively wrapped her mind around the space, determined to unfurl the potential connection

"Learning to use the Force with conscious intent is no easy feat, Tamiko. We must walk before we can run, and once you have the basics down pat the rest will be easier to build upon. You simply... need to get used to using it." She was still showing as rather defeated, and he understood well that feeling. It was easy to succumb to it; with him, he hoped she'd grow past it.
Arcturus left her there soon after, knowing full well how much there was that needed tending to. Now that they were spaceborne, and there was naught but an infinite void between them and their unknown destination, he had all the time in the world to make plans for the future. But it was their more immediate needs and plans which concerned him the most. Adjusting to the changes brought about for the both of them. Finding their flow, their schedule, the dynamic of their relationship.​
Thankfully most of that would come naturally. It could not be forced, not truly. So he gave it time, returned to his projects, made a few arrangements - such as sending for Beholder one he'd heard about her recovery, and arranging for a protocol droid, some extra parts, and a little something he'd purchased from Kal Kal to be placed onboard - and fell into a steady pattern of events.​
Sleep, wake, shower, eat, study, train with Tamiko, train with himself, tend to Tuus' needs - had he shown her Tuus yet? add that to the list of things to do - make them dinner (he'd really begun to enjoy cooking again), spend an hour or so in casual company of the girl without the pressure of learning, work on a project, head to bed. Rinse and repeat. Some might have found it monotonous, but for one who had been without purpose for so long to Arcturus it was of great comfort to have a structured life again.​
When he sent for her in the end, he had not expected her to be sleeping. Perhaps that had been his own folly, his own excitement at what was to come clouding the fact that it was their usual tine of rest. To step foot upon the spherecraft again would be exciting, but so too would unveiling the things he'd found during their journey. That could wait, of course, until after their lesson. Training took precedent over material goods.​
"I thought you'd realize by now, Tamiko - I have no concept of time." Not where space was concerned. His own voice was filled with as equal parts humour as her own, indicative of how comfortable they'd become in one another's company. It was impossible not to, with how casual their arrangement was; he might have took on more of a commanding presence in the midst of studies, he took his role as her Master seriously where such was concerned, but beyond that?​
This was her home now as much as it was his. He would not make it a place of tension for her, where she felt as though she always had to be rigid, stepping on eggshells, prim and proper and not at all herself. No, that was wrong. Where could she go to escape that on a floating ship in the middle of space? This was not a prison, and he would never make it feel like one.​
He could feel her curiosity peak as they approached the attached ship and made their way onboard. Contrary to the exterior's spherical form, inside felt oddly... vanilla. A cube within a sphere meant to gyroscopically offset disorientation one might otherwise feel when hurtling through space in the middle of a ball. And yet the room he led her to, at the very end of the hall, held a wall of glass which revealed the spherical nature of its hull beyond. It was a fascinating view to be sure, one he had looked upon even without succumbing to meditations, not least because beyond the glass was... water?​
Her comment made him chuckle some; training wheels indeed.​
"This is Beholder, a spherecraft; we're entering her meditation chamber, wherein I have no doubt you'll find it easier to draw upon the Force should you open yourself up to it." There were runes here and there lining the interior walls, not immediately obvious in how small and scattered they seemed to be but present none the less, formed of Arcturus' own hands. What would prove most obvious though, even to one as blind as the girl, was that in this room they were not alone. Arcturus did not address it as he bade her to sit and did so himself. Truth be told he'd become so accustomed to the presence of the Starseer Jellyfish in their vast aquarium that he didn't think to speak on it.​
Perhaps Arcturus was foolish in presuming such would not bring questions from his student, but all the same he did sense her eyes close as she delved into the Force once more. She seemed particularly eager today, there wasn't any residual frustration he sometimes felt from previous attempts which had not been as successful as she'd liked.​
Maybe the change in scenery helped with that. Who knew.​
She found him faster than usual, and was already trying to find ways to forge the connection between their minds; this aspect had become like second nature, and he bristled with pride at the thought of it. "Very good, very good indeed," he spoke quietly. "You are so close, Apprentice, I feel you there; this last bit of resistance is largely in your head, no doubt you perceive that it must be far more difficult than it truly is to impose your will upon another. It is not, not where most are concerned. There's nothing in your way now, girl... This is what you want, is it not?" His voice, though still soft, gained an intensity when that question was uttered. "Then take what you want. Do it."​

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
The ship proved worthy of her immediate fascination. Despite her inability to take in any of the compartmental visuals, her spatial awareness was almost disorienting. It felt like some sort of expansive vacuum, removed of any discernible distractions. With the expectation of the glaringly obvious. A life force floating through the void they now shared separated by some slight division. The impression that whatever it was wasn't entirely sentient summarized the extent of what she could gather. "We're not alone." She noted, peering up at Arcturus curiously, "Who's the company? Definitely inhuman as far as I can tell."

Whatever Arcturus's response, her attention was redirected to the assignment at hand.

"Meditation chamber?" echoing his words she turned towards him casually," Is this about to take an unexpectedly lame turn?"

Her hand brushed against the interior walls, trying to understand the vacancy of her surroundings. Pausing as her fingers traced an etched indent, she attempted to make out what it was, brows slightly scrunched together. "There's something on the wall." She didn't bother looking back at Arcturus, instead following the rune up the wall with light fingers. "What is it?"

Eventually, she found herself seated across from Arcturus as he prompted her focus. Summoning a breath she reached for him, her control of the force like tendrils sliding over themselves. Awkward and brutish but still tracking forward. Forward and forward still until the outline of Arcturus's presence became obtrusive, where she was close enough for her aim not to miss. Asserting her will was how he described it, with an intensity suggesting his sincerity. Something about his phrasing almost gave her pause, control was delegated to her if only she reached to take it. The moment was within her grasp, something to be seized with utter conviction. The last hurdle remaining was simply her own doubt, the poisonous reservations she harbored.

The moment the connection was made felt like a collision. Her use of the force like claws trying to clamp down on an eel. She didn't ease up the pressure however even as she felt the a stronger foundation establishing itself, fearing regression. Her thoughts seeped into the line drawn between them. It wasn't with the strength, authority and certainly not the ease at which Arcturus had first made their connection, but it was more than what she'd managed to accomplish thus far.

With her awareness suddenly submerged in Acrturus's stream of consciousness a sense of achievement blossomed within her. Similarly and almost unwittingly she searched for a feeling of approval in Arcturus. The connection was inherently unstable, it's integrity threatened by the subtlest distraction. Nonetheless, it grew less strainful to maintain as her confidence swelled. Enthusiastic she tested the thread trying to manifest her thoughts well enough to convey them through the connection with conviction.

Master

A phrase of acknowledgment coursed through the link, as if tipping a hat in introduction. A wry smile played in her lips as she tried not to let her anticipation bubble over.

She had questions aplenty, things she wanted answered before they could get to the task at hand, and as ever Arcturus found himself more than forthcoming. That she could sense the presence of another lifeform spoke to how far she'd come in her training, for it was not so much a spatial thing which was likely to have made her aware of them. No, the creatures which drifted languidly within the tank formed of the outershell of the vessel were steeped in the Force, and packed so closely together as they were in that moment, bobbing up and down, it was easy to understand how she had mistaken them for one entity.
Heck, without seeing them with his own two eyes he'd have likely presumed the same thing.
"They are Starseer Jellyfish" he explained, crossing the space of the chamber in order to reach the furthest wall which looked out into the waters they swam within. "Marvelous creatures, their presence can help bolster our connection with the Force, and to meditate or sleep around them is said to induce strange dreams or inspirational thoughts."
Turning back to face her, he offered her a smile. "The vessel we are on, this spherecraft, was altered by my request to make use of the dead space around the core. In a way, this room and the ones we previously passed are surrounded by one giant aquarium, and the water itself? Well... One day perhaps you may see fit to swim within them. Whether you know how to swim or not, it will not matter; you cannot drown within it." Nevermind all the other properties it held... A wonder to behold, truly. He was grateful to his Shadowy friend for making such known to him in the first place.
"Meditation has its uses, Tamiko, and in time no doubt you'll discover as much. But right now, no. We're not meditating." He watched as she ran her hand along the wall, taking note of the runes beneath her fingertips. His head tilted to one side. "Those are runes. They exist to form a further conduit for the Force. I etched and imbued them myself. There are a great many more lying here and there upon the walls... But come, let's get started."
Though they weren't meditating, to an onlooked it would certainly seem that way. Both were lost within their minds, within the Force, as the girl slowly but surely began to push her bounds and realize what it meant to be a Force User. To take what she wanted. And in that moment, what Tamiko wanted was to unearth an understanding of telepathy, to claim it for herself.
And her conviction proved fruitful. All at once he felt her there within his mind, felt her surprise, her excitement, her quiet search for praise. In response, Arcturus made his pride plain, he could sense her there, she could sense him, the connection had been brokered, and he couldn't have been more proud if he tried.
Very good, Apprentice. Tamiko had not yet used his title, and to hear it echo within his brain was rather surreal. It seemed fitting though, this was a moment of true breakthrough, it would lay the foundation for all that came next... He smiled, and then he focused back in on her. We shall make use of this mode of communication until it becomes second nature to you, and then we will work on closing off your mind from others.
Opening his eyes, Arcturus rose up to his feet and stretched out his back. Then he offered down a hand to help her up.
The important part is going to be breaking the connection and reestablishing it on a whim. I'd rather we were not within one another's minds at all times, and I'm sure you'd prefer that too. For now... I have something for you.
He made a gesture with his hand, and the door they'd previously entered through opened once more. Soon after the sound of mechanized feet resonated through the room, approaching the both of them. As promised, Apprentice, a Protocol Droid. It is a fresh model, you may name it as you see fit. The model originally lacked any sort of personality module... I figured you might find that a little off-putting, so I installed the personality module from an M7 Astromech Droid. I had the part lying around.
Little did Arcturus know that the M7 model had a strange quirk, in that typically their outer shells were transparent. With that in mind, Tamiko's new Protocol Droid may at times seem entirely grateful to be, as he puts it, clothed again. It had a fun little personality, too, though it would no doubt mold itself to Tamiko's needs and wants with time.
But there was something else. The droid held within its hands a strange object, one which Arcturus plucked free at its approach.
I've been saving this particular item, he explained, feeling the weight of it Specifically for when you finally breached my mind. It is known as a Mindharp, this one is the Soulsong variant... It is an instrument you play with your mind, Tamiko, it is meant to help you hone your telepathy. It will... Well, it will guide you; this variant is rather unique in that way.
It had a construct within its core that resembled something of a soul... It was utterly fascinating to the Lorrdian, another one of Kal's wacky creations, and he could think of no better use for it than to help his Apprentice find her way in the Force.

Last edited:
Sufjan Steven enthusiast
Peeling her attention from the distraction she curiously blinked at Arcturus,"Didn't know you moonlighted as a zoologist." The distinction between the creatures slowly became apparent the longer she was in their collective presence. She couldn't help but wonder how many mystic details he'd unintentionally left out, figuring he must be incredibly familiar with all lengths of anomalies. To the point it was just all part of the background.

"This is an aquarium?" A slight annoyance arose from not being able to witness the spectacle,"Some massive fishbowl." With an incredulous sweep of the room she, "And what's with the water? Doesn't sound like it has much ground in science." Much of what Arcturus's life consisted of, as far as she could tell, didn't seem to either.

With slight relief at Arcturus's dismissal of actual meditation, her hand parted from the wall as he gave insight to the etchings. "You have to teach me how this all works sometime." Something to save for a future date of course. At the moment there was some other threshold to be crossed. One she'd been running towards for the past couple weeks.

Once the connection had been made, a sense of accomplishment settled between them. It gets easier from here right? The uninhibited sarcasm delivered with the line was apparent. Undoubtedly whatever new goals laid ahead of her would be exponentially harder. But if she could manage this, everything felt somewhat within reach. Accepting the hand he extended without even a glimpse of the hesitation she'd shown when they first met, she brought herself up.

She nodded in agreement to his insistence on privacy. It still felt surreal to speak like this, especially since she didn't know the full extent of what telepathy entailed, and virtually nothing on how to control it. As he finished his statement, prompting her to follow she gave him a curious look. You must have a lot of cards to put on the table. If today's course of events were anything to show for. This new world of mystic extravagance gave no pause.

She heard the mechanic footsteps long before Arcturus spoke to which she blinked in a mix of understanding and surprise. You weren't kidding. With an incredulous breath she approached the droid. Working around machines her entire life she had a taste for robotics, but whatever droids had been dragged into the garage by disgruntled patrons on the occasion were sure to be a far cry from what stood before her. Gave them a personality too? What, got sick of talking to me did you? With a glint of sarcasm in her eye she felt Arcturus retrieve something, bringing it to her level. Looking up at him expectantly she grew more curious as he delved into his explanation. The Mindharp as he'd called struck her as another object with more meaning imbued under its surface. I'm not much of a musician. She remarked skeptically, still plenty intrigued. You said It will guide me? Whatever incongruence she sensed from the instrument was hard to place. Of course it wasn't some typical harp, certainly didn't feel that way. What do you mean by that?

Zoologist... He did have a small smattering of animals here and there, didn't he? Even if half of them were not presently with him. One had grown too large in his absence from the Galaxy, though he had felt her through the Force back on Korriban and knew that Littlefoot was thriving without him. Nostre... Well, that little Snowmouse was presently serving as his eyes and ears back on Coruscant. Or... Well... Wherever She had gone. A loyal Sith Familiar, Arcturus was very fortunate the rodent had frightened Jen Rand. Very fortunate indeed.
"I do have a thing for collecting creatures," he confessed with a shrug, and something of an amused tone of voice. "Though I swear it was never intentional." That any of them remained after how long he'd been lost to the Nether was a surprise. Hardy little buggers the lot of them... Though he supposed that was why they were Sithspawn.
Well, the jellyfish weren't. But still.
"Not an aquarium, not really... We..." How to explain it... He squinted, peering out over the tank again, then shrugged. "The ship is a sphere, but to help with any motion sickness the actual rooms and systems and the like are held within a cube at its core. Gyroscopic. Keeps us level at all times. Some people choose to have a different internal layout, some use up all of the space, but this format left a lot of dead space around the edges. So... I had them turn it into a giant, well, fishbowl yeah. A giant tank. For the jellyfish."
So much space for the jellyfish. He could probably find some other creatures to coinhabit the space, but he wasn't sure what else would thrive within the water. Speaking of, she'd asked about that too. "Hard to say, really, it's a well kept secret as to how it's made. But it has regenerative properties, similar to Kolto, and well I can attest first hand to the fact that you can breathe through it..." Strange? Yes. But so was everything Kal Kal showed him. The joys of being best friends with a Shadow. "Science can mean a great many different things to ones who are capable of interacting with the very fabric of reality, Tamiko, to those capable of altering life itself."
Regarding the runes, he nodded.
"Naturally, one day I shall certainly teach you to imbue. It's something of a specialty of mine." Runes, imbuement, alchemy... Yep, those were the sandman classics, were they not?
With the connection made, Arcturus made a few quick cut-and-reconnects to reveal to her how easy it could end up being to forge that connection once more. Her question made him chuckle aloud, and he nodded his head once more. In many ways, yes, it does. But only in that you know how to create a connection now. You may see it as only being useful for Telepathy, but a lot of what we do with the Force relies on us forming connections. With objects, with people, with plants, heck even with ourselves. The Force falls into three distinct categories, though there are plenty of things you can do with it that fall into more than one, and some which almost defy categorization entirely.
Time for an infodump? Force... He never expected to be infodumping basic Force information. Sorcery, sure, Nethermancy, why not, but basics? Oh well... Alter, Control, and Sense. Alter refers to acts that effect the world around us. Telekinesis - that is, moving things with the Force, as you've no doubt done in the past What she had done with the speeder constituted as such, - is a good example of Alter. Control refers to acts which directly impact yourself, your body. Bolstering your strength, self-healing, prolonging life...
Some Masters of Control were a force to be reckoned with. Grundark, the great and mighty Cragmoloid, came to mind.
Then Sense... Sense is more what we're doing now. A way to understand your surroundings, and those within it. The thing is, Tamiko, every part of this requires a connection. And you just forged your first intentional one. The abilities themselves may get tougher, more esoteric and hard to comprehend, but you've laid a good foundation. I have no doubt that you'll be able to do whatever you put your mind to, with enough time and effort.
He meant it, too. There was no way he could lie and her not sense as much given their connection.
Talks turned to the droid and he shook his head. Another light chuckle resonated from within him. Cheeky. Quite the contrary, in fact. I thought you might want someone else to talk to that wasn't me. I know I'm not always available, and I don't doubt that you'll tire of having only one person for constant company in time, so... Yes. I made sure to fit him with a personality module.
Then came the mindharp. It was not, in fact, a harp at all. She was correct in that regard.​
You don't need to be good at playing an instrument to be able to play this, you just need to trust in the Force and make use of it. Without distraction, mind you... You'll hear it play within your mind. I have it under good authority from the creator that it'll help strengthen your telepathic capabilities.
As for the notion of it guiding her, well..​
It holds within it something of a soul-adjacent construct. Not a real soul, of course, but... Something akin to one. It will guide you, if you let it, it will help you learn how to use the instrument, and how to get better with it. I must admit to having avoided using it myself, not because I do not wish to - I plan on getting myself a more mundane version of it - but because they've been said to occasionally form bonds with those that use them. I didn't want to accidentally jump the gun. If it's to form a connection, it should be with you. It is, after all, yours to keep.
Arcturus pondered for a moment, as he was about to leave the room, faltering in his next step.​
You seemed dismayed earlier, Apprentice, that you could not look upon the tank for yourself. Though I won't make a habit out of this, unless you were to expressly ask me to, I can allow you to see it through my eyes for a moment if you'd like? I've done similar before... It would leave a visual impression within your mind. Not quite like seeing it for yourself, but it's as close as I am able to give you.
Typically it was Arcturus who was looking through the eyes of another, trying to find out what ailed them or in the case of Iris Arani Iris Arani seeing what her view on the world around her was. But he could do it the other way around...​
... if she wanted him to.​

Sufjan Steven enthusiast
Capable of altering life itself. What an insane amount of power for someone to wield. With her sweeping gaze of the space returning to Arcturus she adopted an equally humorous and mystified tone. "Naturally finding it hard to rationalize anything you just said." It felt more like an inside joke at this point. Arcturus introducing aspects of his life without the awareness of how utterly bizarre they'd appear to an outsider such as herself. Eventually she'd find herself equally familiar, but it would be gradual like all things were.

As Arcturus dove into a shallow overview of the force she listened intently, absorbing whatever information he extended. She could grasp what he presented was only the basics. Anything else, while infinitely fascinating, wouldn't help channel her focus in one direction. Telekinesis at this point was review, a concept she had already started forging her own path in. Naturally with the stories that filtered down from Coruscant's heights of Jedi mind powers, it was the easiest ability to manifest. Easiest to recognize. Control was less obvious, but thinking back to the seemingly impervious presentation of most force users, it was scattered throughout the stories she grew up on. The knowledge she could dictate such aspects of her life, directly interfere with nature felt uncanny, some pseudo-science. Sense, as he'd described it, was her base understanding of the force. The topic that caught most of her interest. It offered the possibility of a new view of life, lying dormant in her.

That sounds generously oversimplified. Of course, that was the pace she needed, no point in introducing topics impossible to grapple with at her skill level. Shrugging her shoulders she continued, But applicable. Suppose I better get stronger at forming connections then. With the end of his statement, she felt convicted to ensure his trust wasn't misplaced. If he was committed to seeing her advancement through, time and effort were both a willing investment of her part.

As the discussion turned to the droid she exhaled a laugh at his reply. Overtly considerate as always. And so was the mindharp. Another piece of machinery rebelling against reality, she could definitely sense the air of mystery surrounding it, once again outside scientific definition.

She glanced back somewhat disbelieving as he brushed past the possibility of it forming a bond with her. He had mentioned forming connections with inanimate objects, but the reversal sounded uncanny. She now had some semi-sentient object within her possession, like being gifted a pet. A weirdly geometric pet.

So in a sense I can communicate with it? Or well, its soul-adjacent construct. Mimicking the words he'd used she peered curiously at the item. She didn't seem to need confirmation on what she asked however. The answer felt within her capabilities to discover.

Sensing Arcturus leaving the room she gave him her attention as he paused. Quickly that casual expectancy turned into an unwavering surprise as he proposed his offer. Staring at him for a moment she blinked. That's possible? The words were absent of any mixed attempt of humor that usually coincided with her previous incredulous remarks. Pure disbelief. I- Yeah I mean. Searching for words she straightened, attention drawn away from the droid and mindharp. I'd want to try that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom