Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-Star Wars Roleplay

I'll be honest and say that, in my opinion, if you wish to role-play another subject outside of SWRP, you should head to another board.

Just because there's no reason to stretch this one to include others.

I disagree. The whole point is to RP with the people we enjoy RPing with. And if you've ever tried to either join a new community or start a brand new one, you'll know how challenging it is to find one with the quality of this community.

Plus, you can extend that argument of go find some place else to any of the Off Topic forums here. Want to discuss your art? Go find an art forum. Want to discuss politics/religion? Go find an appropriate forum. Want to play posting games? Go find a posting game community.

Additionally, it's not like it would be a "stretch" to add another sub forum for all non SW RPing. It's functionslly easy. And since there's no overarching timeline, there's very little need to judge or IC-moderate the new forum.

Finally, having that one extra forum can be seen as a recruitment tool. Depending on the activity of the forum, you'll see the site appear in more Google search results. You'll attract other types of writers who were not looking for a SW community but may be convinced to join us after they've RPed in the nonSW forum.

There's a ton of benefits. There's not a whole lot of negatives. In fact, I believe the only negatives are administrative duties and/or costs.

...In that case...

3587721-jedidarkknight.jpg
THE DARK JEDI KNIGHT​

Stay on target....

But on the superhero topic, at another forum I used to frequent, we added a dedicated superhero RP section and it proved very popular. It drew quite a few more members who would have not joined a sole SW forum.

[member="Tefka"]

As for "how", it appears a straight forward approach would be to simply add another, separate forum along with an associated OOC forum. You could name it Infinities or something, and tag it as the nonSW RP forum. The general community rules would extend to this forum, though you'd probably have a few forum specific rules, such as the "No life guard on duty rule". In essence, you want to keep the OT RP forum as a "side dish", and reduce the moderating overhead as much as possible by implementing rules that encourage a Staff hands off approach

You can differentiate RP threads by genre by simply creating an prefix tag like the ones that exist already, or asking posters to include the franchise name in the title tag.

I'd recommend assigning one current Staff (or recruit a new one?) dedicated to taking care of the administrative overhead of this forum. Duties may include, for example, creating the aforementioned franchise tags as demand increases and organizing stickies or whatever. The Staff person would also adjudicate any truly major disagreements that threaten the harmony of the community.

Those are just some ideas that I thought up pretty quick.

Sounds like a pretty dope idea.

Biggest problem I've had searching for another board to RP anything is a huge lack of activity. I've always found it hard to stay invested in a story if there's a huge gap between posts.

Something about this site seems to keep folk active. *shrugs*

I'm with [member="Asemir Lor'kora"] on the execution of it.

I’ve seen sites do ‘pot pourri’ RP forums before. They ride a wave of enthusiasm to start but then peter off.

Why?

Because there’s no focus. “I want to do a Marvel RP!” so you make one. Unfortunately, only 1 other person does, but 3 others want to do DC, and someone else wants to do Battletech.

The lack of focus means they’ll be a lot of RP topics started, but not many replies except maybe in a couple of niche environments. This has the inevitable result of getting people frustrated and going to find other people to RP with for their chosen genre anyway.

So when I said people should go elsewhere for it, it’s not because I disdain their fandom, it’s because when you offer people the ability to do anything more often than not everyone will be in their own little band by themselves…waiting vainly for someone to join their bandwagon.

If we add into this the additional inevitable reports and fandoms our staff will have to deal with, I think it will greatly dilute the attractiveness of this board rather than enhancing it.

/shrug

I've not had any problems with it. And if activity is low, then it's low. The focus is on the main SW forum not the OT forum, so low activity isn't an issue.

And from my time moderating the other RP community, I never had to deal with any reports regarding the OT RPs. All of my reports were from the forum official SW threads because there were RP rules to be followed and enforced.

IF time commitment for staff is an issue, I'd volunteer for those duties because I don't believe there will be many reports.

I honestly agree with Asemir. I would probably do a few threads there, like everyone else, but... It would get boring. And extremely hard to find people to rp with. Ecpecially with obscure genres like 'Battletech'. It's a fantastic idea on paper, and i'd probalby jump on the same wagon as everynoe else to race to it if it opened, but it won't last in the long run, sadly. :l

(Though i'd roleplay a batman. Of course I would.

Thurion Heavenshield said:
Quiet, you!

For many of us which remember, the Craftshop experimented with an Avatar RP...briefly. The problem was of course that creating new accounts and setting parameters for the new setting in the end was too much effort and the whole thing folded in a few weeks.

For those who were founders here on SWRP we had a campaign forum which allowed a great deal of latitude in non-canon stuff, but despite that was never used.

I fear the same thing will happen here. Lots of people want an alt RP forum, but do enough of them want the SAME alt RP?

Honestly, anything can be done in star wars.

You want Batman? Be a mandalorian.

You want Hulk? Be a Herglic, or a Cragmoloid.

You want Avatar? The shapers of Kro Var.

Magic? We're space wizards people. Zombies? Sith alchemy. Halo? Mandalorians, or the Havoc Squad.

*Anything you can do we can do betteeeerrr*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom