Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-Star Wars Roleplay

I'll add in my own concerns and input to continue the discussion, as my own opinion is very embattled concerning this.

1. It's obvious this will remain a Star Wars Role-playing Board. To those of you fearing this discussion could change that, you need look no further than the website URL. We're aware it's a Star Wars community. Point to Fanondor.

2. I believe some... facets of this community would benefit from the diversion. Point to Fanondor.

3. Furthermore, we already provide diversion in other formats. Please See: Codex (World Building), Factory (Ship/Vehicle/Player Item building), General Discussion, Gaming Forum, Posting Forum (Spammers/Bored People). Still, the primary focus remains on Star Wars. It is proven that no matter what we do, we will probably prove incapable of changing that. Point to Fanondor.

4. Here's my biggest problem. Most major changes or additions to the forum come from a necessity. For example, the Private Role-playing forum was birthed from the Open Role-playing forum because there were simply too many private threads cluttering up the Open Role-playing forum. And it proved to be largely beneficial, and most people wouldn't see the Role-playing forums, or think of them, any other way. It's a staple now, of the community. Same with the Codex and the Factory. The Codex was birthed from the Factory by a need to compartmentalize on a leadership level. One guy running the show on all those forums was becoming a bit too much and needed to be broke down into separated compartments. Upon looking at the forums, splitting it up into environmental vs economical seemed to be the logical route to go.

Most changes are logical. Which brings me to this suggestion.

Fleeters have been asking for more thread prefixes for a millenia, and even rules regarding fleet role-playing. They've been told "yeah, sure, that's fine - but go and do it first and then inform us that's how you want it done, backed by analysis and proven experience." There have been several hundred thousand instances of other players asking us to do stuff, ranging from events to rules to factions - and my answer is almost automated by now. "Yeah, sure, but go try it first - then if it's popular, you'll have Staff's backing."

Because why would we support something that isn't popular? Honestly. We serve the members, but that statement isn't black and white. It just sounds better than "we serve the majority of members." Obviously, I could whip up a forum for you no problem right now within the next 10 minutes. I could have you colorful prefixes whipped up in 30. Possibly even some dope rules written in an hour. Maybe even a fictional map detailing some superhero city, or designing a new group for non-canon factions where you can create the Legion of Doom and/or the Mechwarrior Fans. Or the Gundam Wings. Or the Power Rangers.

But that's where the most important question comes into play:

Why?

What have you done, beyond liking the first post in this thread, for non-Star Wars role-playing here?

Where are the non-Star Wars threads? Where's the motivation beyond a few likes?

If you want it so badly, why aren't there non-Star Wars role-plays already?

Sure, it's little effort on my part to construct it. But it's less on your part to like a post and resume doing nothing, leaving me with my hands down my pants running around the community like Uncle Fester from the Adam's Family. So what this really boils down to is necessity. Private role-playing, Codex... that was necessity.

Is this?

Point to Tefflepuff.

He has a point. Technically speaking, we can do anything we could in a seperate forum in roelpalys labeled 'Non-canon'

*gets shot for constantly going back and forth between opinions*

*shuts up now*

[member="Danger Arceneau"] ran the original Marketplace well before it ever got officially adopted by Staff and it was one of the most popular Factions on the board.

Things just don't get given around here. I slaved for months before this website ever came into existence. One Sith waited like nearly half a year before openly attacking Coruscant. The Factory has been around since Day 0 and still sucks big jawas.

Even if we didn't have Non-Canon role-play prefixes, you could still do this idea. You think Staff would say no? We just wouldn't let it interfere with the normal role-players, is all. And I doubt it would anyways.

I really like this idea and I'm extremely torn on it myself. But I like to see results first.

GIVE ME A REASON TO BELIEVE.

Tefka said:
[member="Danger Arceneau"] ran the original Marketplace well before it ever got officially adopted by Staff and it was one of the most popular Factions on the board.

GIVE ME A REASON TO BELIEVE.

tumblr_mssq5bl8C21rf6n06o1_400.gif
I MADE HIM A BELIEVER!!!
tumblr_msspqli00t1rf6n06o1_250.gif
*goes back to work on that Expo!*
tumblr_mssq7u4Pda1rf6n06o1_500.gif
Go post your discounts and auction goods people!

Also... you guys do realize you can just make a faction...And call it the "Non Star wars Roleplays" faction.

and whoever wants to do that can y'know.... join the faction and Rp there :)

If you show how much it actually gets used as a faction for non star wars rp? Who knows.... you might actually get it moved to the main forum.

That is essentially what ended up happening with the Market when it was originally the SSB Business Bazaar.

For any roleplay of other universes, it would probably be best not to be any canon (I.E Bruce wayne) characters. It's probably best to make your own characters in that universe, where the canon characters exsist, or used to exsist. I.E You could be someone aspiring to be like Batman, instead of Batman. Otherwise people try to mimic ppre-made character to much, and it causes problems. I used to roleplay at a superhero rp that had 'legacies', where it was a seperate unierse then canon where you are the original version of, say, Batman in that universe, no other batman existed before you., But you didn't have to be bruce wayne, you could be John Doe, you didn't have to have your parents shot in an alley, you could be a rich mog boss. The only similarity is 'Batman'. The laws of the universe applied, but not the characters. So kryptonite effected kryptonians, but Superman wasn't Clark Kent a kid who was rocketed from an exlpoding planet. Basically much like what Chaos did with Star Wars.

But that's just my twocents, you can do whatever you want, obviously. THis is just a suggestion for whoever's going to run the non-canon fest. :p
[member="Cyclops"]

Watcher Four

Universal Adapter
[member="Mrrew"]

I have very strong opinions to the contrary, but this is not the place.

So, yeah, I keep my mattress wrapped in plastic to protect against habitual bed-wetting, so I'm probably not the best candidate to run this Non-Star Wars board.

But I'm ready to join!

I could be completely wrong for what would be best, I'm simply regurtiating what another roleplay did. I'll join whatever it is. :p

(Also the Legacies idea allows people to make custom characters, if they don't wantt o be Batman, Hulk, etc)

[member="Tefka"]

I see what you're saying. We need to prove that this is more an idea.

However, may I request that there's actually a separate forum for these things? I don't want to muddy the dedicated SW forums with non SW RP reads. Or maybe we can post this in the Off Topic forums as I had alluded to?

I just really don't want to flood those RP forums.

Not to mention separating everything will make it easier to draw metrics.

So, Tef, do you prefer that we post these in the SW RP forums, or somewhere else?

Cira said:
Also... you guys do realize you can just make a faction...And call it the "Non Star wars Roleplays" faction.

and whoever wants to do that can y'know.... join the faction and Rp there :)
[member="Asemir Lor'kora"] - ^^ 'Tis not a bad alternative.

It's a good idea but I fear that it'll be too hidden from public view and hard to see. It's a sure fire way to see low activity. But a good alternative if other options aren't viable.

[member="Mrrew"]

*shrugs* If it's as popular of an idea as it will need to be in order to become a whole new forum, it would spread by word-of-mouth. But I see your point.

*stays quiet now and waits for the grand opening*

[member="Cira"] has had the best idea of all this thread, and I kick myself for not thinking of it sooner.

Create a faction for non-Star Wars RPs. Do your RPs there, then if it's successful show [member="Tefka"] and us in staff that it can work and it'll be a serious point in your favour.

Think you can get people to follow through and do RPs outside the board setting? Go try it.

Asemir Lor'kora said:
It's a good idea but I fear that it'll be too hidden from public view and hard to see. It's a sure fire way to see low activity. But a good alternative if other options aren't viable.

[member="Mrrew"]

Valiens Nantaris said:
[member="Cira"] has had the best idea of all this thread, and I kick myself for not thinking of it sooner.

Create a faction for non-Star Wars RPs. Do your RPs there, then if it's successful show [member="Tefka"] and us in staff that it can work and it'll be a serious point in your favour.

Think you can get people to follow through and do RPs outside the board setting? Go try it.

The South Systems Business Bazaar was ENTIRELY out of word of mouth.

Seriously -- all through word of mouth and my constant nagging about it being there >.> It is still one of the most popular factions at 134 members ( only three are mine right now) but at the time it was featured as one of the six most popular factions on the board ( it was fifth after republic, mandos, fringe, and the sith >.> then OP)

Promote it, do RP discussions about it, shove links to it on your signature. Promote promote promote. I did the first SSB Expo and Auctions that spanned over 8 threads -- people got excited. People joined up.

It is all in the matter of how much you want it and if you are willing to put forth the effort.

Use the mass message and news options on there once you get it started --- this is how i made the SSB and Arceneau Trade so successful that staff made a Market Forum in the front page.

See how you're already running into issues? Not 4 pages in the thread and someone's attempting to lay claim to a X-men character, with another disputing it - lol.

Yeah. As much as I'm wanting for this to happen and to please my Asemir Clone Army, Staffing this site has - and always will be - teetering between becoming a job and what it's supposed to be, a hobby. The volunteer Staff members do enough, and I will fight the community to maintain our sanity.

I'm not committing them to moderating this. Moderate yourselves, and if you do a good job of it, I'll reward you by giving you some cool toys and maybe a forum in the future. For now, you're just men with dreams.

Nerdy men in spandex :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom