Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nerd alert!

Hello friends,

I was linked to this thread recently by someone I used to roleplay with. When I saw "Star Wars RP" I think I dropped what I was doing and immedeatly came to look around. There are a LOT of threads, I see, and it's going to take me hours to read through a lot of the stuff.

But that isn't why i'm here. As a long time fan of the Star Wars universe - so much that my mom told me my first words were quite literally Darth Vader's mechanized breathing, so iconic - I am here because I love to roleplay and I have never done any /good/ Star Wars roleplay.

I just have a couple of questions:

-What era, if any canon, does the roleplay in this forum take place? I noticed a lot of strange factions i've never heard of, which I assume are player-made and non-canon

-Pertaining to the first question, does this roleplay take place in the canon timeline, or is it pretty much a fanfiction universe where we do whatever the hell we want? I ask because, not to sound like im a huge godly nerd, but i've been a fan for my entire life, so I know quite a bit of the canon lore.

-After I create a character, how can I get involved with the community in roleplay? Is it rude to just barge into other people's roleplay? Will people join mine, or will I be alienated?

Sorry if the questiond are a bother :p

Also, because he said to say it, Sam sent me.

Hi, and welcome to Chaos!

A helpful timeline can be found here, within the site's Holonet. The Holonet link is at the top of the screen, and is also a great place to find the latest galaxy map, our Wiki, and a link to some excellent blogs. Short version of history is: the game takes place 844 ABY, after a number of terrible and interesting things have happened.

Roleplays normally take place within the site's timeline, but non-canon stories can also be posted for fun.

There are two sections to RP in: Public and Private. Private RPs are generally set up between players in order to write smaller, more intimate stories. Public RPs may ask you to PM someone for permission to join, or may be faction related, but otherwise you're usually free to jump in.

You can also post a request in the Roleplaying Discussion thread, asking for partners, scenarios, training, etc.

More questions? Keep asking! :)

[member="StoneGlory"]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRsPheErBj8

Welcome to the Chaos! :D

Lots of nerds, geeks, dweebs, cool kids and other assorted chaps - you're right at home, so enjoy your time here!

In answer to your questions:

1 - This is set about 840yrs (ish) after the Battle of Yavin so a few Canon Factions are still going, but lots are made by writers.

http://starwarsrp.net/page/articles.html/_/timeline/835-aby-galaxy-at-war-r22

2 - This does take place in the Canon timeline, so everything in the movies happened in our timeline but we are SO far ahead of that it doesn't really matter if your knowledge is hot or not. It's all part of the process to use your imagination and play around in the galaxy we are set in. We pretty much do whatever the hell we want, sticking to rules of logic and physics, and of course fair play where everyone is concerned (we don't just go destroying planets etc in battles).

Take a look around and get a feel for the Factions and the things out there.

3 - When your character is ready, we have a Roleplay Discussion forum which is good for people to let others know what they are after. Ie: you may have an idea and want to know who is interested in writing with you to make a story out of it.
http://starwarsrp.net/forum/16-roleplay-discussion/

Open threads are just that - anyone can join in, but be sure to get a feel for it and see how it pans out.
http://starwarsrp.net/forum/14-star-wars-open-role-playing/

Private threads are not for public involvement - they are usually set up by couple or group of writers who want to write a specific story together with a shared goal or resolution
http://starwarsrp.net/forum/77-star-wars-private-role-playing/

Again, have a little look and you'll see the difference.

:)

Hope that helps you a little? Keep the questions coming!

Welcome to the site, [member="StoneGlory"] . Looking forward to see your roleplay.

Should you ever want to roleplay with someone from the faction that took the Black Sun's place in the galactic underworld, just poke me! :)

*looks at timeline*

*looks at timeline on wookiepedia*

*removes glasses*

Oh my. We are about 800 years in the future prior to the Galactic Civil War. AWESOME. Just...AWESOME. Admittedly, i've NEVER thought of any kind of Star Wars after Return of the Jedi and the Expanded Universe. THIS is realy cool!

I only have one more question. Is there any rule on the progression of time? For example, if I created a twelve year old boy as a character to begin with, how long would it take for him to age?

Also, the massive size of this community is mind-boggling. I love it! Thanks for the quick replies! I have a timeline to read and a character to conjur up.

[member="StoneGlory"], Welcome.

As for your question, we do real time aging, or we do what I like to call warp timing, where you age your character according to the achievements and the number of threads you have done. So lets say you are 15 as an apprentice and you are promoted to knight, you can mention that your character has aged to be about 20 or so to accommodate of being the real age of a knight.

That way we can avoid the use of 15 year old Jedi Masters, and 18 year old Sith Lords.

Welcome again, and I hope you have a good time.

Akuma said:
[member="StoneGlory"], Welcome.

As for your question, we do real time aging, or we do what I like to call warp timing, where you age your character according to the achievements and the number of threads you have done. So lets say you are 15 as an apprentice and you are promoted to knight, you can mention that your character has aged to be about 20 or so to accommodate of being the real age of a knight.

That way we can avoid the use of 15 year old Jedi Masters, and 18 year old Sith Lords.

Welcome again, and I hope you have a good time.
Oh, thank you, I actually really like this system. Only thing that bothers me...say a 15 year old character meets an 18 year old. 15 year old rps frequently and, after about two weeks irl, is promoted to jedi knight and suddenly ages to 18. 18 year old character he met hasnt roleplayed since and has not aged. How do?

[member="StoneGlory"]

Often times, those things just get a "the hell?" From the character, but then its eft mostly unmentioned(there are special circumstances depending on large events that took place around the characters). But otherwise, we don't put too much into it. Vulpesen is 23. He started the board at 17. He's now as old as some of the masters that taught him.

I guess it can be similar to what happened to Padmé and Anakin in Episode 2.

Padmé: "Oh my, this little kid grew up fast and got really hot"
Anakin: "She hasn't aged a day since I met her eight years ago!"

[member="StoneGlory"]

There's a lot of hand wavium as mentioned.

Even when the site jumps forward a few years like it did last event, aging your character is optional. Say you start with a 30 year old character. That's pretty prime of their life and maybe you want to keep them there. Tha's okay. It means there's a lot of things that are sort of fluid and we either ignore or just.. play around.

People with quite young characters often age them faster than those with older. I generally just blame stuff on the force or technology. Jedi/Sith looks 25 for a couple decades? MAGIC. I mean, uh FORCE. For non force users, those Hapans are pretty serious about their anti wrinkle treatments ;p

So basically, while we have rough guidelines, do whatchoo like.

You age as fast as your own personal story demands. Everyone else does the same. The gaps are filled with moments of suspension of disbelief.

Or your character can view everyone else as a liar when they say their age. Imagine it as a constant, persistant clash of multiple realities.

Or you can age real time or with the events. Whatever decision you make, our stance is "its your decision" in regards to character age.

Another uh...question.

I mentioned factions earlier. What are the major ones around? Is the New Republic still around? Is the Imperial Remnant persistant after eight hundred years?

[member="StoneGlory"] , indeed, check this out! Take a look around and I'm sure you can find one that suits your needs, not to mention makes you want to create another character or twelve. Or 200. But you can't be Senator of Kashyyyk, so back off. ;)

A little shameless promotion, but The Primeval is a Dark Side oriented faction in which we are more cultists (of sorts) than truly Sith. Try Dark Side lite, all the flavor and villany of The Sith but none of the calories!

The Vitae is a larger amalgamation of many Grey Jedi. That's if you don't want to be full Sith or Jedi (The One Sith and New Republic/NJO or Silver Jedi).

The advantage of a smaller faction is more interaction among a more tightly knit group, the downside, things can move more slowly. I have been told the big factions move fast, if that's more your speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom