Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Novel Writing Month (NaNo)

November is National Novel Writing Month.

For those not familiar, the goal (for those participating) is to use the month of November to write (part) of a novel! The official goal is 50,000 words. The idea isn't to complete a fully polished novel in a month, but to get the rough draft of a good chunk of one squared away.

Anyone here planning on participating?

I did NaNo last year and hit my mark of just over 50k words toward my novel, Forest Deep. I'm still mulling over if I'm going to try to use this year's to finish it.

NaNo Participants:
[member="Selena Halcyon"]
[member="Jorus Merrill"]
[member="Rusty"] - Bullet Time (Zombie Apocalypse)
[member="Fatty"] - Fermi's Aliens (Alien Abduction)
Irajah Ven - Hirou and the Clockwork Graveyard (Redwall in Space)

[member="Irajah Ven"]

I did NaNo a couple years ago and hit 50k, but I'm not sure if I can handle it again. It was awesome, but too much in one go, and my schedule is way different now than it was then. Assuming you're going to take part, I wish you the best of luck!

Matreya

same thing from me, I hit the mark last year, but then the book fell through. I started to really analyze etc, and then in the end chucked it. It was garbage and rushed.

No, I don't think I'll do it again this year. It was to much work, to fast, with little reward IMO.

[member="Auron Song"] Yeah, I get you.

When it's broken down (1667 words a day), it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. But when it's 30 days of that, and it compounds if you miss one, it ends up being a lot. I got pretty burned out last year. But the motivation was astounding during the month itself.

Last year though, I wasn't in the writing every day habit. This year I am. ::flexes the writing muscle::

[member="Irajah Ven"]
Mine almost became something of a spiritual experience going through that whole month haha. It's crazy what can happen when you're so fervently dedicated to something for such a compact amount of time with a deadline, squeezing in as much activity as you can.

You totally got this! Keep me/us updated about your progress!

I've been meaning to get properly into novel-writing and so I might try a hand at it. I'm bad with these month-long challenges but hopefully my writing's improved over the last year thanks to joining the site, so we'll see how it goes.

[member="Aria Vale"] [member="Kei Garnik"] and anyone else who is considering getting involved-

The NaNo site has it's own forums, but we can also use this thread here to check in, get help if we're stuck, post progress and encourage each other!

I have a few larger scale writing projects lined up that I would love to have an excuse to work on. One of them I put about 10k words down in a few days two NaNos ago but I dropped the project after about a week of work. My problem is that I often end up being too self-critical and get caught up on going back and altering things, which just kills all momentum and motivation, After the NaNo two years ago, I developed an entire outline and have about 40 pages of written notes that I'm aiming on utilizing to help better structure my writing time and hopefully be able to really plow through a good sized chunk before having to worry about plot logistics until later. Depending on my work schedule, I may make some effort this year to try and cross that hurdle this year. We shall see.

It'd definitely be cool to check out the projects that other people are working on. Maybe some sort of Google Docs share? Or even something here if folks want to post chunks? I tend not to follow the NaNo forums just because I know I'll get too distracted, haha.

[member="Jorj Kell"]

I think it'd be great if folks wanted to share stuff they are particularly proud of, or link here to a google docs of what they are working on!

We'd just need to remind everyone reading along that this is all first draft work- people are looking for encouragement to *just keep writing*! :)

I thought I wasn't doing NaNoWriMo this year, but what should pop in my head during work today but an idea! So I'll give it a go.

If I write even half the goal, it'll be the first real NaNo I've done since 2009.

All a part of kicking depression's ass. :D

Rather than continue work on a novel that has less than 50k words left in it, I decided I'm going to do a side project for NaNo.

Look for Hirou the Nezumi to feature prominently ;)

About 1000 words into my project. Things are flowing well enough for a rough rough rough draft.

Edit: And 1800+ hit. Fair enough for the first day. Probably will get a few hundred more tonight.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
I'm posting mine here. Frankly, I've never finished one of these, but hey, there's a first time for everything, and I reckon posting it will give me motivation to finish.

Somehow it backdated for the 28th. Not sure what the hell happened there. I think Chaos hates me.

[member="Rusty"] Thanks for sharing that with us! That's awesome!

If people are interested, I could edit the first post and include the links to anything that folks are working on, to have it all in one, easy to find place? (I'll post mine too)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom