Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Novel Writing Month (NaNo)

I've updated the first post of this to include the names (and links where applicable) of the folks who have checked in here that have started NaNo.

If you've started and want recognition, want a cheering section, want to share your work, etc, please let me know!

...holy crap this story ran away from me, and just in spare moments, and just since going to bed nine hours ago. Hope I can keep up this momentum, because I'm sitting on 5807 and two solid chapters of one of the best stories I've ever written. Not the prose, the prose is rough, but the plot and character and setting and emotion are coming together perfectly.

What the crap. What is going on.

That's the nature of NaNo, [member="Jorus Merrill"]. I'm pretty thrilled about the groundwork I laid in my outline and how it is coming out on the pages. Obviously the prose is dreadful, but it is a first rough draft so who cares. That's what editing is for.

[member="Irajah Ven"] I am participating too! I didn't see this earlier, but well... whatever!

Anyway, I've never done more than 10k words in a month, and that was for Camp Nanowrimo last year. I don't know if any of you remember it, but it was titled Paradox Soldier and I had a few of your Alpha Read it. It got good reception! But I didn't like where I was going after that last cliff hanger, but every once in awhile I go back and edit a few little things here. Maybe one day I'll actually go back and branch out further into this massive plot I've got stuck in my head for that story.

Anyway! For this years Nanowrimo, I am writing about an alien abduction! For my MC, I am attempting to write from the perspective of an underrepresented group of people in fiction; I choose an Okinawan "hafu" (discriminated Japanese biracial) girl with a Marine father who works in one of the local U.S. military bases, and I think I've settled on the name Sayaka Page. The aliens in this universe use living sapient beings as legal tender, literally living currency, as the basis for their economy. The value of an individual is determined by their intelligence, their natural lifespan divided by their augmented lifespan (life extension technology), and how populace that species is. This alien empire found Earth during WWII, and saw it as a gold mine... they just had one problem: they had a religious obligation to respect all local laws of living beings capable of producing them, and this was enforced throughout their entire nationalist communistic empire. So, they have blocked all incoming and outgoing communications from the Earth star system, so as to prevent anyone else from discovering their potential treasure trove, while they attempt to infiltrate and influence the global politics to legally allow them to own human beings, creating the illusion of the Fermi Paradox with their advanced technology.

Enter in the antagonist, who is both a heathen and a criminal, and has taken our human MC for his own economic gain against the theological beliefs, and the "Grand Plan" of his nationalist government. It is up to Sayaka Page to either find a way back home against all odds, or to out wit her captor into a more advantageous position for herself.

I have a working title which I have so far dubbed "Fermi's Aliens: Exotic Currency", but I might just shorten it or, change it entirely depending on how far I get along with it.

Here is the link to my current project if you would like to read what I've got so far! Be warned, I am not writing linearly yet, so this is somewhere in the beginning, but not THE beginning... at least probably.

Right now, the word count stands pitifully at 1378 between these first two days of writing :p

OH! And on the Nanowrimo forums I go by Aspirant Novelist :p (creative I know!)

[member="Fatty"] That's great! So glad to have another person writing along! I'll update the first post :) Also added you as a friend on the NaNo site (I'm TheApothecary)

[member="Selena Halcyon"] You're going at an amazing pace. Write write write!

I'm writing basically at par so far this time around. Last year I had 7k words on day one, which gave me a buffer. This year I'm just over 3k at the end of yesterday.

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
I'm behind. Internet was out yesterday and most of today, so I'm trying to play catch up. To make matters worse, I'm going to be off the grid all weekend yelling at my privates.

[member="Rusty"] Fortunately, it's early in the month so there's still lots of time!

[member="Jorus Merrill"] That's fantastic!

I'm *just* shy of 5k, as of last night. So I was on par (until I woke up today :p ).

Lagging behind with only 2,496 words, I'm averaging about 623 words a day, but I am writing everyday! Maybe it'll kick off eventually?

Realtalk senior [member="Fatty"], when I finished two years ago I had an okay start then ended up slowing down a TON. Like days of writing nothing, and then I powered the last two days and barely won. Let me grab my graph for you.

VrqDh5W.png

As you can see. It can be done even with slow or no progress. You'll just have to have days where you power write.

As for my progress right now. I am at 12,284. I will shoot for 13,332 after I get back from work. If I can hit that I will be doubling the daily required amount, which is good because I am shooting for around 80k-100k total by the end of the month. I think hitting that will be enough for my first draft to be completely done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom