Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

National Novel Writing Month (NaNo)

I finally broke 5k yesterday (had an awesome day of writing, with ~1,300 words, still not the desired amount), but today my ability to write for this story is utterly disgraceful. Just over a hundred, and I'm having difficulty continuing beyond that. Probably just nerves over the election getting in the way of the creative process.

I'm also in a weird spot that just feels sort of awkward. There is this one segment where I ended one note, and just to get the story moving I put in a (Fill this space later) and just wrote the next part that came to mind. However, the next part sort of conflicts with the first part, and I'm having trouble joining the two. Then there is the "most recent" segment where I am trying to come up with an insult my MC can use to name her alien captor. In her head, its name is Basilisk, but she wants to demean it. I've thought up some amateurish "insults" like Stingerhead, or Stingerface, but that's as creative as I've got :/

Maybe since its a terrifying serpentine creature she could call it "Worm"? Of course, that isn't really what matters. I've just been stalling from progressing to the next part, where the conflict is kinda... foggy.

Perhaps I'm just bogged down on my own details and just need to keep pressing forward despite the logical fallacies I know exist.

[member="Irajah Ven"] Ha! That's kind funny, though I feel the meaning would lost on him. Although I like the idea of a lisp on my alien *goes back to edit in lisp* :p

Perhaps that'll be a first attempt to insult!

Third day, writing hasn't been great but I think I've found a good connecting piece between the two halves of my current text. Revised a few things there to make sense of the new transitional piece.

I added the lisp to my alien, but I'm not sure if I like. I feel like the extra s's make it seem silly, and goes against the dark tone that it has otherwise created.

Would it be better to mention the lisp solely in its description, and maybe at the quirk in its initial dialogue? Right now I have it set up so that only the first or last 's sound is elongated with a few exceptions. I feel like this has been generally inconsistent, and I feel like adding the lisp in all the places would logically know where it exists would be far too much (both for the reader and for myself). Generally, the idea of it having a lisp despite its speech all being translated, is sort of hard to explain anyway. If all speech is translated, why does it seem to have an impediment that would be filtered out, considering it wouldn't logically have one anyway with its alien anatomy? Although I like the idea of a sibilant voice, I fear it breaks immersion and suspension of disbelief.

As for what comes next in the story, still not positive, but what I've got is shaping up okay. I'm worried my female character will be viewed as weak with how she's handling the situation, but I would've portrayed them the same if they had been male, so is this fear invalid??

Maybe make the lisp inconsistent. Have him lapse into it when his mood changes; he only lisps when he's very angry or when he's aloof and amused, for example. That way you can use it sparingly, as a trait that fleshes him out, rather than distracts from his other characteristics.

Alright, Fatman, in another work I had, I had a nation of people who had a language with a hissing kind of quality to it. When I wrote them speaking in their native tongue, I paid little attention to it because fundamentally, I understood that I was essentially writing a translation of them talking. Should they interact in another language than their native one, and the POV character was not a "hisser", then I would note the "lisp" (though I'd truly say it is more a function of accent) in the prose and move on. The extra S's can be distracting to an extent. Though, I figure if it was especially relevant and the character is especially prone to hissing his words out then I might make an added note of it in the dialogue itself, but I would shy away from it.

Readers should be aware enough to understand the accent is there if it a point of it is made about them.

Was originally going to participate, but I get so frustrated at my own work all the time. Can't settle on a proper plot, it's fustrating. Will continue to try and work something out, but I will likely not reach the 50 k goal. Sad face.

[member="Jen"] same here. I really wanted to participate but I struggle so badly with coming up with plots. I'll think of a concept, then have no idea how to turn it into a feature-length novel, or I'll think of a bunch of scenes and find no way to string them together.

If I'm really lucky I might wake up in the middle of the night with a fully formed plot and be one of those writers who finished NaNo in nine days, but let's be real, that probably won't happen. To all the people who have managed to keep up with their word count, you're awesome people who I hold in reverence, and if you ever get published I'll be first in line.

[member="Jorus Merrill"] [member="Selena Halcyon"] [member="Fatty"] [member="Irajah Ven"] [member="Rusty"]

EDIT: Not twenty minutes after posting this, guess what happens? Either [member="Irajah Ven"] has magical writing powers that are transfused through posts or this entire thread is bewitched, and nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise. Off to write at last! Will link document once I get anywhere.

Aria Vale said:
EDIT: Not twenty minutes after posting this, guess what happens? Either Irajah Ven has magical writing powers that are transfused through posts or this entire thread is bewitched, and nothing anyone says will convince me otherwise. Off to write at last! Will link document once I get anywhere.
This..... may be true actually.

Also that's awesome!

fae8aef1ee4fbdeb421252f86c70fff3.png

1c059f50a9f880229499adb3a1df7b98.png

oof

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom