Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Minor Factions

sabrina

Give minor factions, the right to own one planet.
Though if a major faction wants it, is treated as a rebellion.

This would give minor faction, a minor role on the map game if they wish it.
This would help minor factions, claim an area on the map, to play with the big boys, in other threads.
Though if a major power wants it, then dom as normal, but they have the right to rebel.
This would add a new dynamic.

Though the minor faction, has to prove to they are entitled to that planet to an rpj, if any doubt.

Isn't there already something like this in place? e.g. Planets being ruled by individual characters or minor factions, like Coruscant had Coruscant First political party in charge of it while under Galactic Alliance rule.

Runi Verin

Two pounds shy of a bomb.
Disagree. With how easy it is to form a minor faction, this would turn the map game into an absolute nightmare to manage and encourage more dick measuring contests - and I don't know about you, but my ruler doesn't cover those sizes.

If Minor Factions want to own one planet, they can go Major and hold only one hex, providing they remain active enough to warrant their Major status. There is nothing in the rules against that. If you can't hold on to activity levels, there's no reason you should be able to hold any hex on the map, big or small.

What you propose though is that any Minor Faction with one person gets to affect the Map Game, and that's just a huge drain on RPJs/admins.

That said, I do think that rebellions should be an option even when it's not the third dominion of the month.

I'd be inclined to disagree. The whole point of Major vs Minor is Minors are PvP optional, but the consequence is that they're not able to claim entire hexes on the map. Majors CAN claim hexes, but are subject to all manner of PvP as a result. As it stands, there are already rules in place to do what you're looking to do, more or less, as you wouldn't need map updates for a singular planet (especailly when you consider that each marker on the map isn't a planet, it's the whole solar system that planet resides in.)

Scherezade deWinter said:
If Minor Factions want to own one planet, they can go Major and hold only one hex, providing they remain active enough to warrant their Major status. There is nothing in the rules against that. If you can't hold on to activity levels, there's no reason you should be able to hold any hex on the map, big or small.

What you propose though is that any Minor Faction with one person gets to affect the Map Game, and that's just a huge drain on RPJs/admins.

That said, I do think that rebellions should be an option even when it's not the third dominion of the month.

This.

Every minor faction would want to be on the map for free, for nothing, filling my staff's time with endless petty disputes and making the map a rainbow of dead minor factions.

That's a no from me, dog.

sabrina

Runi Verin said:
Disagree. With how easy it is to form a minor faction, this would turn the map game into an absolute nightmare to manage and encourage more dick measuring contests - and I don't know about you, but my ruler doesn't cover those sizes.
Not really, as they have to be able to prove it quickly, i.e. keep an ongoing list

sabrina

Valiens Nantaris said:
This.

Every minor faction would want to be on the map for free, for nothing, filling my staff's time with endless petty disputes and making the map a rainbow of dead minor factions.

That's a no from me, dog.
fair enough

For a middle ground. I want to suggest a codex entry the person who wants this the most updates with where certain fixed minors claim they are IC, but even that would be difficult to keep straight, organized or updated in a text form.

Could be a big project for an intelligence service IC, that way inaccuracies don't matter as much. Probably get you some threads and interest, be a headache though.

Marina DeVoe

Not a flight attendant... just a risk.
I agree that Minor Factions would overcrowd the galaxy map and overwork the staff.
The map as we see it on the screen is rendered in two dimension.
There is in actuality much more space and star systems in a hex that can in a practical manner, be registered here on Chaos. I'm meaning that there are star systems within a faction claimed hex that even they don't know about or said to have discovered. I'm getting to the point as in there is enough space out there for Minors to play out as one of their own systems without having it registered on the map.

Let me explain.
Here is how hex are seen as far as the map is concerned and why it currently should remain Major faction registered.

4HevGYS.jpg
See...the hexes are limited 2 dimensional surface spaces, as far as registering systems on them.
The above is how we see the sectors (hexes) in our galaxy. They are practical as far as being managed.

Below is how 3-D space in a hex could really look like, or is able to hold countless more stars and systems.

Do8YwYE.jpg

It would be impossible by our standard current gaming format to cram in Personal, Minor and Major Factions star systems and planets in any given hex, as we currently play it in 2-D. And 2-D is practical.

One day, it will be possible to play a truer 3-D map game with everyone or anyone occupying the same hex. Just that this isn't that day, and the map must be maintained in its 2 dimensional format by our staff. And that is a load in itself when borders shift and majors go minor and off the map.

So for now, the only efficient way to play is by the current rules and standards and that is with limited hex occupation. Anything more (as it's pointed out) will overload the staff and then their fun stops. Everyone must keep in mind that staff also enjoy writing, and they make enough sacrifice of their given time on line in keeping the rest of us playing without the same responsibilities and time needed to maintain the current map.

Keep the map game as is....just my 2 credits worth.

3D maps...has [member="Captain Larraq"] returned?!

As my final note here, I sympathise with minor faction ownership of planets, I really do.

But the logistics and policing is exponentially too big to be sustained.

As it is now it's an effort to update the map, keep all the Majors straight and ensure they are active. Trying to do anything more would be an exercise in Sisyphean futility.

sabrina

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] I was thinking of more self policing idea, not an actual hex being coloured.
Just the right to defend that planet, if a major comes a knocking.
The minor faction claiming the planet, has to prove they are there.
This way the onus is on them, not anyone else.
So it has to be reasonably active, say 1 thread per month.

Grand Admiral, First Order Central Command
Actually I think the idea that a Minor Faction can initiate a Rebellion on any Dominion is worth considering.

1. It's self-regulating (assuming it's properly curated). A one-man minor faction will never manage it, but a larger one or one with lots of support would be able to put up a fight.
2. It allows for de-facto control of a system (what minor factions really want) without needing any sort of map updates at all. Presumably if a minor is able to consistently defend their system via rebellions at some point the Major near them will just stop Dom'ing it, and then viola you have your independent system.

There's room for abuse too of course, particualrly against unpopular Major Factions or whatever. But all things considered punishing the masses because of the potential for abuse seems a bit... lame.

One possibility would be to put fairly harsh restrictions on how long a Minor Faction must have existed and possibly on unique members (say, at least 3) and then loosen said restrictions on the 3rd Dom -> Rebellion -> SSD so you still have some incentive for people to do those.

I don't think you would even need to track Minor Faction activity because that would work itself out. If they were active one month and won, but then everybody vanished, well next month the Major is going to come knocking again and RIP. Well, that or it suddenly gets an influx of new members and raises hell yet again but, whatever.

[member="Cyrus Tregessar"]

That involves going through and making sure the faction wasn't a mostly dead one cropping back up just to rebel. It may seem inconsequential and minor, but it's more work for the already over burdened admins.

Things as they are aren't broken. This has been a question posted at least once a year since I started (i posted a couple early on) and the answer is the same. You want to keep your planet, go major.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom