Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Major Factions, can you stop trying to pander to every idea?

Largely agree with the above sentiments.

That said, there's an edge case with a lot of unrealized potential: using the pet enemy subfaction primarily to connect with/collaborate with/draw in other factions as opposition.

Probably the closest thing I've seen to this in practice is when the rebel Jedi fighting the Eternal Empire team up with external Jedi, but even that strikes me as incidental. Find a way to turn that up to 11 and pet-opposition subfactions could be genuinely useful. Sometimes.

I already hate the term "narrative" thanks to the modern Majors, now you're giving them terms as obnoxious as "pet-opposition subfactions"?

release me from this smell

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Time to institute a ruling where a faction that applies for map presence needs to pick two or three tag words.

'Jedi', 'Lightside', 'Lawful'

If they form sub-groups that skirt away from their chosen tag words, their map cloud is split in half into two separate factions. Simulating territory instability and internal schisms.

Problem solved.

;)

Kristyl Vaashe

K
A lot of the responses to this thread have made a lot of great points. Some things I agree with, others I don't and I don't have a solid answer to the problem around cliques (There may not ever be one), but I don't believe curbing peoples creativity and freedom to shape their factions as they choose is an answer that benefits this community.

I 100% would love to see the community open itself up to being more inclusive of others and less prone to hosting its social circles/cliques, but as others have pointed out this is a social aspect that is unavoidable and I myself have been guilty of keeping close to the social circle I've felt safe/comfortable in due to bad past experiences.
As has been said above somewhere, there's nothing wrong with having a social group that you're most comfortable with, but the best thing is to try to consider others, especially those newer members to the community, so we don't become non-inclusive and a negative presence to the overall community.

I don't have any real opinion that goes beyond the one faction I'm active in right now, but my views are entirely personal and shaped by the consequences of cliques and that whole "Them vs Us" mentality. At the end of the day, I want to see people come together and enjoy themselves, but I don't believe sub-factions are the only cause of cliques, nor is removing them the answer to improving the issue in my opinion. Be creative. Write and let come what may. But above all else, be kind and respectful in all OOC aspects where absolutely possible.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Organization is my secret love.

But nah, while I would love for Major Factions to stick their guns towards the niches they initially embody, it's not really realistic on Chaos.

There are way too many advantages for them to play wide. You get a good solid active bunch of people and then you make sure to retain them into your own ecosystem exclusively. They wanna write a Sith\Corporate\Criminal\Jedi\Mando? Oh, hey, we got a group for that right here and the people you love to write with are already here. Why dip your toe into the rest of the board? They are scary and not as fun as us.

I doubt most groups start off like that in a conscious way and I don't think they might even realize they are encouraging that kind of stuff.

But there are no real incentives to look past your own core group right now.

Meeting new people, changing up things for yourself is the incentive. But, people get comfy. Nothing wrong with it until you start feeding the tribalism. The tribalism is the problem.

I’ve gone toe to toe with so many conspiracy theories over the years that are sourced only by echo chambers regurgitating one thing someone said that has no basis in fact. It is always easier to be a yes man than to call it out. Tribalism be the problem, not people chillin’ together.

There’s nothing wrong with “growing wide” and ignoring my advice as long as the people in charge keep the echo chambery peeps in check. At Chaos, with Majors, its often the case that leaderships just want to do cool roleplay stuff and not slam down on those tribalistic dudes, bc the tribal dudes also help the faction.

It almost always comes back to the tribalism. So even when things are at their calmest, like now, I’ll still take moments to preach against it because it always comes back.

Tribalism 100% kills the muse. So many times we've seen full-blown IC story arcs that seem to be perpetuating OOC machinations, at the expense of the IC. Tribal bubbles, whilst rewarding longevity, often disregard new and interesting creative ideas from players because 'we listen to older tribe member before anybody else', which leaves other writers behind.

I guess it comes down to those who view IC as the chief component of what we strive for here and those who use it to play out their OOC wishes.

Tribalism 100% kills the muse. So many times we've seen full-blown IC story arcs that seem to be perpetuating OOC machinations, at the expense of the IC. Tribal bubbles, whilst rewarding longevity, often disregard new and interesting creative ideas from players because 'we listen to older tribe member before anybody else', which leaves other writers behind.

I guess it comes down to those who view IC as the chief component of what we strive for here and those who use it to play out their OOC wishes.

Zef Halo Zef Halo

it’s all IC bro

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom