Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Major Faction Recall Rules | Check-In Replacement Rules

Darth Vitium said:
[member="Tefka"]
I feel a little uneasy about this, though I trust you and your staff's decisions.
This. I do not believe that these new rules would not and could not be abused at some point. If the rationale for major faction demotion is now totally at the whim of the staff, then theoretically if two-thirds of the staff have an issue with a certain faction, they can basically force it to fold for whatever reason they can come up with, regardless of how active the faction is. These new rules have completely thrown out the only series of checks and balances for majors, and turned it into more of an "We don't like this faction as major, so we're demoting it" thing.

I was very uncomfortable about this on my first read through.

However, the 14 day rules makes this all nice and open. If you're behind, you find out why and what you can do to stay on track.

sabrina

I do have two questions, will the faction be given a reason why they are being demoted?
Also will the faction admin be able to plead their case, to why they should stay major?

Enigma said:
This. I do not believe that these new rules would not and could not be abused at some point. If the rationale for major faction demotion is now totally at the whim of the staff, then theoretically if two-thirds of the staff have an issue with a certain faction, they can basically force it to fold for whatever reason they can come up with, regardless of how active the faction is. These new rules have completely thrown out the only series of checks and balances for majors, and turned it into more of an "We don't like this faction as major, so we're demoting it" thing.
The checks and balances were thrown out because they were inefficient, archaic time-sinks.

If you have a problem with the Staff team currently presiding, might I suggest that you start a poll to see if the community thinks Staff should be democratically voted into their positions.

Jaxton Ravos

Mindwalker of the Outer Rim
Loving the new rules. Brutal enough to actually get rid of stuff but the two week period to bolster activity is more than enough chance to give factions a chance to stay around. Nice work Tef.

[member="Ayden Cater"] It's alright, you're only 11 months until Christmas again...no real reason to take it off at this point.

Tefka said:
The checks and balances were thrown out because they were inefficient, archaic time-sinks.

If you have a problem with the Staff team currently presiding, might I suggest that you start a poll to see if the community thinks Staff should be democratically voted into their positions.
That...is an interesting suggestion. I'm pretty convinced it's not needed. It's tough to appease everyone on a site, but you all are doing well and are transparent with your efforts. But I'm not Engima, can't stop 'em from making a poll like that.

No one can ever be free of bias, it's not possible.

However, with nearly a dozen staff, a miscarriage of justice is extremely unlikely, considering it's publicly announced and the faction has 14 days to lift its game before a second vote.

It's not like 3 people are getting together and purging stuff overnight in a backroom.

Reverance said:
That...is an interesting suggestion. I'm pretty convinced it's not needed.
It's not, nor would it ever be seriously considered.

My Staff team isn't selected on who you guys trust. It's based on who I trust. Furthermore, collectively, the community is prone to make terrible decisions. Absolutely terrible decisions.

As far as picking Staff members go, I've been knocking it out of the park. Consistently. For 2 years.

One whine from [member="Enigma"] about "trust" and "abuse" (man, the balls on you - given your history here) isn't going to change that.

No forum staff should ever be "democratically" elected. Frankly, I find the very idea absurd. Being on Staff is not something you campaign for or ask for. It's something you earn. It's not popular, it's not easy. The people who are placed on that pedestal have to make decisions that will anger some people. They will get flak, they will be resented.

In every instance of an elected staff, I have seen it go from "Will of the People" to "High School Popularity Contest". People stop making the hard choices and start playing politics, rewarding their friends and mistreating the others. I won't say that you won't find places where that happens and Staff's not voted for, but it becomes considerably more likely.

Tef has proven, for two years, that he has the best interests of the site and of the community in mind. He has come out to us, openly and honestly, with his policies, how he makes decisions, and even owning up to his mistakes and failings.

There is no one more qualified to make decisions for the site, and by extension select other individuals for the task, than him.

I say this with the utmost respect for [member="Tefka"] and the work he's done.

#TyrannyReigns

Ayden Cater said:
#TyrannyReigns
e8an2q.jpg

Here's my critical take on these new rules changes that will scandalize everyone's opinion of me from this day forward.

Eh, it's fine.

Edit: Some additional "this needed to be said" stuff.

Some of us act, or used to act (raises hand), like every rule brought down upon us was unjust because power could be abused, and power corrupts,and blah blah blah blah woe is me.

You're Staff. You're not picked for how much money ya got, or who backs you up enough; you're picked cause you're good at what ya do. Ya build up the community rather than weighing it down.

Take it from me. I had to go through a year of learning how to be a good role model for children before I had to change who I am to make that happen. I had a forum epiphany.

I respect Tefka. Now when I say I respect him, let's define what I mean by respect. Respect doesn't mean I sit still and not say anything no matter what rule gets passed down from Staff. Respect means I understand that the box I'm typing in, the site I'm using to write through....was thanks to him. Respect means that I know the decisions that are made are not made lightly. Respect means I understand that for Tefka, this site is part of his being, and I can make the decision to be a producer of quality posts or a parasite tearing away the quality posts in fits of rage and anger.

Tefka does not owe us anything. If anything, we owe him for making this place available to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom