Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction LOTS | And Let the Feast Begin

Aspect of Victory

A

vwkfAEAC_o.png

On the barren moon of Sivvi, there are few places one would willingly tread. The craters of a tumultuous formation intermingle with those left by ancient battles. It is a misshapen object, little more than a captured asteroid, marred by almost every form of violence the galaxy had to offer.​
Such places are strong with the Dark Side. And such places have an instinctual habit of drawing others to them.​
Maybe not entirely instinctual.​
Those following the draw of the Force would find a jagged opening in the blasted rock of Sivvi, tucked away in a nameless valley - access to a winding network of caves. The deeper the descent, the heavier the air became. Stone walls were soon damp to the touch, and a cold, subtle breeze blew from further within.​
If their presence was a desirable one, they would find the source in short order: a large chamber, dominated by a still lake. Glowing moss clung to the stalactites above and parts of the walls, providing a faint and unsettling source of illumination.​
As of now it was the only other lifeform in the area.​

A curious gift had arrived on Messala’s doorstep shortly after the invasion of Korriban. Supposedly from the late Adrian Vandiir, it was a beautiful crystal shot through with streaks of blue, green, and gold reminiscent of spectrolite, but at first glance appeared to be little more than an attractive paperweight. That is, until he began to whisper to him.

Messala… Messala… Messala!

What? Who’s there?” the Half-Bothan demanded, turning round in his desk chair. Seeing no one around, he reached out with the Force—and detected the hum of a strange energy radiating faintly from the crystal.

How dare you right me off as a paperweight! If you weren’t always wearing that blasted Force Void ring, you’d have known from the start what I was!

He had taken the ring off only minutes ago. Messala reached out to seize the crystal, only to receive a mild electrical shock. He recoiled, shaking out his stinging claw, then snarled, “What the devil can you do, then?

I tell the future, you fool!

Time seemed to stop its eternal crushing march. Messala stared at the gem, his heart racing. “Adrian, you magnificent bastard,” he whispered, directing his gaze heavenward (although AMCO AMCO was probably somewhere down below) before commanding, “Tell me my future, then.

Not until you fulfill my request.

What request?

Show me… a picture.

You don’t even have eyes to see with,” Messala replied with a smirk. “But I’ll humor you. What picture do you want to see?

A picture of you from before.

Before what?

Before!

The word came out in a hiss. Messala shivered.

Very well.

Picking up his datapad, he conjured up an image of himself taken some thirty years ago in Tevye’s Circus. It was not a very flattering photograph to begin with, having been snapped under the harsh twin-sun lighting of noon on Tatooine, but there was nothing nice to say about the youthful Messala’s countenance to begin with. The beast in the picture defied description, covered in strange growths that rendered it barely recognizable as humanoid—even beside the other freaks and oddities who had populated the circus. Messala avoided looking at the image, afraid of the anguished memories it would bring back, but quickly turned the screen around to face the crystal.

He could’ve sworn the Oracle Shard purred in contentment. Oh, you were grotesque. How can you revel in ugliness now, and yet shrink from this glorious hideousness?

It’s an acquired taste, one that I didn’t have then,” Messala replied, setting the datapad aside with its screen facing down. “But enough. I fulfilled your request. Now tell me my future.

~~~
Gear: Paranoia | Regret | Suspicion | Auger Personal Shield

The Oracle Shard’s fortune had led him to Sivvi, the asteroid-turned-moon of Thule.

Thule was a planet right smack in the middle of the Sith Empire, which Messala believed was soon to die, crushed by a war on two (possibly three, if the Silver Jedi could get their act together) fronts. It was time to look into other options.

Approaching the breach in the valley, he found himself reminiscing about a similar crawl into the underground. That was how he had first encountered Arctus Silmar Arctus Silmar on Onderon. How the Sith do love their metaphorical descents into hell.

He crept into the darkness, enjoying the cool faint breeze that blew up to greet him the further he went. Ah, and there was a lake so perfectly still it reflected the dangling stalactites overhead, making this section of the caverns look like the yawning jaws of an exogorth.

Sensing no one else around, Messala approached the water, picked up a stray pebble, and skipped it across the lake, creating ripples that dissipated as they echoed out to the edges of the pool.

Aspect of Victory

A

The pebble skipped effortlessly across the water: once, twice, three times. It made it halfway across the lake before ending its journey with a muted splash.​
Soon after the ripples had gone, bubbles started rising from within the lake - a spot close to the shore, not far from where Messala presently stood. It was the only warning he'd get before a creature burst out of the water.​
Its head and torso were visible, with long, spindly arms disappearing beneath the water. The skin pallid and visibly slimy, ribs visible. A line of three glassy eyes went straight down the middle of its face, flanked at the end by empty sockets. It possessed no visible mouth, and what could be considered a neck was instead dominated by three large, flabby gills.​
Anything that looked like this seldom came into this galaxy naturally.​
"Mmm... Visitor."​
It spoke in a rough, wet voice... Though from where was not clear.​
The creature drew closer to the shore and Messala, appearing to glide effortlessly through the water. This close, it was plain to see it was as tall as the Half-Bothan, even with its lower half obscured beneath the lake. Three eyes blinked simultaneously, observing the Sith.​
"Who might you be?"​

The creature that emerged from the depths was an eldritch thing. Pale, slippery, slimy. Tentacles. Why did it have to be tentacles?...

It's voice sounded like wet flesh slapping together. Messala restrained his distaste—his eyes and ears had been spoiled by the more aesthetic creations of the Primyn Group. Too bad it wasn't an Ersansyr crawling out of the water. That would've been much more fun.

"I am Messala," he replied. "I asked an Oracle to read my future, and it led me here. Who are you? Or should I say what are you?"

Aspect of Victory

A

It canted its head to one side, still taking in Messala with its three roving eyes.

"Messala," it repeated, as if testing how the name sounded. "I am Pythus."

A name and not a species. He must have thought this a satisfactory answer, as he offered no more. Pythus slithered forward, gradually rising as it entered more shallow waters. The tentacles that comprised its lower form were soon barely visible beneath the water, writhing with purpose.

"I do not know men to consult oracles without desire in mind. Were you hoping to find something in this place? Messala."

When he repeated Messala's name, it was not as a form of address. He said it with consideration.

I go where the Force leads. Sometimes, anyway.” Messala chuckled. “In this case, the Oracle’s vision felt like a final message from a dearly departed... associate.

He and AMCO AMCO had never spoken to one another, but Messala had been a jealous admirer of his from afar. The Oracle Shard reeked of his handiwork. So did Kai, the Doppelganger Messala had helped bring into being a week ago.

Messala grimaced. If things kept going the way they were headed now, Kai the Runaway Doppelganger would be the last significant creation of his for quite some time. He needed a fresh start.

I suppose I am looking for a new purpose,” he admitted. “One that would see my particular skills put to good use. You wouldn’t happen to be hiring at the moment, would ya boss?

Aspect of Victory

A

"It is a terrible thing to be without purpose," Pythus said, shuddering distinctly. A ripple fanned out around him in the water. "My condolences for the loss of your associate. Messala."

He clasped his hands together, elongated fingers intertwined. It looked almost as if he were praying.

"Tell me of your particular skills."

Messala wasn't necessarily without purpose, he just wanted an extra one. But he didn't bother to say anything in that regard.

"Ah, he was an nerf herder from what I hear," Messala replied with a wave of his gauntleted claw. "Most of us Sith are. He died a coward's death, too."

Clearing his throat, he answered, "I'm a scientist-slash-alchemist, although I'm not the most imaginative old monster around. Being creative was the nerf herder's job, but now he's dead. Anyway, I tinker with droids and biots, mostly. Sometimes I imbue items with weird powers, or play a kind of spiritual musical chairs with other people's souls and crazy bodies just for kicks. I run a company that specializes in novelty gear for highly specific situations. Armor that will protect you from microwaves, for instance, or an implant that will safeguard a droid from Mechu-deru. I also mutated some boneworms to make them even nastier." He shuddered. "Useful for assassinations and such, though."

Pausing, he wondered if he was missing anything. "I don't discriminate between the Light and the Dark. The Force is the Force. I'll use it however I damn well please..." Aside from his personal limitations, of course. "... and sometimes I won't use it at all. That's me.

"What are you looking for, Pythus?
"

Aspect of Victory

A

Pythus blinked all eyes simultaneously, exactly three times. "You should choose your associates more wisely in the future."

Other than this remark, Pythus remained attentive and eerily still as Messala listed his roles and achievements. When the Half-Bothan had finished, Pythus slowly nodded.

"Messala. It is my charge to find individuals such as you," Pythus said, slowly parting his hands, "Those who are unafraid of pushing boundaries, unconstrained by the limited perceptions of others. Individuals who do not shrink away in fear of the Code of the Sith."

He extended his open palm to Messala, spindly, elongated fingers stretching forward. Still wet and slick with cave water.

"Take my hand. I will show you."

Aspect of Victory

A

A cold sensation would creep up the Half-Bothan's arm, starting from where he touched Pythus, spreading quickly from there. A feeling of intense and paralyzing pressure followed, as if suddenly subsumed in a deep ocean trench. Not painful by any sense, but perhaps discomforting. Alarming.

Hmmm.
No sound, but Messala could sense Pythus directly in his thoughts now. The pressure was stronger there - an unwelcome fog coiled up against the back of the brain. Taking Pythus' hand had evidently been an invitation to something a little more invasive than receiving a set of instructions.

Taranis Kuhl. Where have I heard that name before?
Pythus slid his limb from Messala's grip, evidently not so affected by whatever was transpiring. He ran his fingers over the ridged forehead of the Lord of Doubt's helmet.

Oh. No matter. Your instruction...
Images and sensations trickled in: a roving, ramshackle fleet leaving smoldering and ruined worlds in its wake, skirmishes with Sith-Imperial and New Imperial picket fleets, a thousand robed acolytes shuffling and kneeling in the presence of a misshapen figure with five bronze faces.

The time is drawing near where the Sith must dispense of their royal dynasties and appointed successions. It has made them complacent. Vulnerable.

Our rightful Lord and Liege, the Worm Emperor, marshals his forces on the frayed edges of those two doomed empires.

You will find him in the Serianan System. Your paths will cross there, and you may offer whatever services you deem fit when you are brought before him.

You now bear his mark. His servants will recognize you as one of their own, unless your whims should change...

Inanna Harth Inanna Harth

Messala grimaced at the unpleasant sensation which followed his first contact with Pythus, then sighed as the watery Sithspawn invaded his mind and inevitably dredged up the name Taranis Kuhl from Messala's psyche. Well, wasn't this a lovely little case of déjà vu. Arctus Silmar Arctus Silmar had done the same thing at their first meeting. So had others throughout Messala's career as a Sith. At this point the violation had ceased to be shocking; like a bored old whore in the final hour before dawn, he simply sat there and took it, turning off the rest of his brain.

"Serennian system?... Oh. Serianan system. Okay," Messala murmured nonchalantly as the images faded from his consciousness, nodding his head. "Worm Emperor, huh? Sounds like quite the dashing rogue. But don't you worry, Pythus. I'll go see him right away. See you... whenever."

Giving the creature an informal salute, Messala began to back away, heading in the direction he had come. Once he was out of sight, the old satyr leaped into the air and clicked his hooves together, chuckling and whistling a happy tune as he walked back to his ship. He was going to be part of something new and exciting again! The thrill of it rejuvenated him, though he wasn't totally won over just yet. He still had to meet this mighty Worm Emperor before he could make it all official. Oh, but he couldn't help feeling terribly pleased with himself besides!...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom