Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Limiting the amount of Factions you can join

[member="Darth Ferus"] -

Sith Assassains routinely participate in Skrimishes and Invasions. Ergo, they play the board game. Ergo, they count.

Order of the Grey was "we are minor we are minor, wait we are major' and is now back with the same story as started out with...

It's easy to see how Minor Factions *can* play the map game even without a cloud to call their own.

But still? You miss the idea I put forth where you just make them a sub-faction with their own sub board(s) in the Major Faction.... This relieves all your issues... And if something happens where you need to break away, you just simply copy over things and do so... Et voila... Your problem is solved.

I remember this was tried about a year ago and it worked until the members started going unchecked. No RPJ or admin kept up on the groups that each member was in. I know it's mainly on a trust basis and judges can't see everyone at once, but if this is to work, a sort of level of respect needs to be had by members to not try and swindle into multiple factions behind the judges backs.

Also, making the faction either make sense IC or at least have some sort of purpose behind being a member. Not to just keep tabs on a particular faction to gain OOC knowledge to be misused ICly. I've seen this happen to factions I've been in with Alts and its nothing but a fire starter when OOC knowledge influences IC actions.

Just my opinion.

Kira Corsai said:
While the GBA is a faction here, it existed in its previous form as a loose assortment of tournament threads in a forum. Were this rule to be passed, I believe nothing about the GBA would change. Eralam and I would certainly not force GBA membership on someone simply to compete with us. Those who wished to be staff within the GBA as an OOC thing could join if they wished but GBA tournaments will always be open to everyone at all regardless of IC affliation.

If anything, this only makes your IC associations more precise. You are free to interact with any faction you want, major or minor whether you are in it or not. And perhaps this will cut down on the excessive number of factions people make just because they can.

What she said. The GBA doesn't require membership to participate. Anyone is welcome to fight, and while we'd be flattered if you had it in your heart to sign up, we're not gonna yank the rug out from under you if you don't.

[member="Ijaat Akun"]

Skirmishes happen all the time.

And have no effect on the board. Its a style of RP involving combat.

The SA in invasions? As the OS. We're not allies, we are the One Sith. We have our own forums because the OS is huge, and its so much easier to have its own place.

The SA does not play the board game. We help with dominions, join invasions, all for the OS. Should the OS go down? We go do our own thing without it.

[member="Nyos Val"]

Nyos Val said:
I remember this was tried about a year ago and it worked until the members started going unchecked. No RPJ or admin kept up on the groups that each member was in. I know it's mainly on a trust basis and judges can't see everyone at once, but if this is to work, a sort of level of respect needs to be had by members to not try and swindle into multiple factions behind the judges backs.

They could colour code the titles like character/writer in association with whatever Major Faction they are in. Then a RPJ/Admin can gingerly scroll into a Major Faction and check out the Members list or skim through posts in threads and see who is being naughty.

There is nothing stopping a character from interacting with other factions, if they are in 1. As a member of the OS, I can freely go RP with Prime or the TU if I want, reaching out to them OOC to set something up or browsing their own RP's and sending a message to see if I could join.

I do not see how this limits anyone IC.

Even as a merchant for me? I can have one ATC rep per major faction by using established ATC workers i'ved used all the time in the past three years, like baron deathmark, Alishaven, a trandoshan named sue, maara, and another half dozen.

This won't limit my creativity nor rp access at all.

I look forward to the one major faction per char. I'm easy with whatever number of minors factions.. All I have to do is simply switch to a different char account.

Honestly, all this is doing is merely making it less convenient because now instead of seeing what's neat to join through one char, I just gotta switch accounts.

OK, it's still kind of early here, but I don't really understand the purpose of this proposal.

If the concern is that people have fingers in multiple pies then limiting it by character account won't change that. Yes, people would have to choose which major faction they're part of with a specific character...but they could simply make another character to replace them in that faction.

If anything this would increase character spam as people will want to be a part of major factions one way or another.

Furthermore, limiting minor factions a person can join is rather bewildering. Minor factions are not just RP organisation. To use a personal example, I have my 'Warmongers' minor faction which is a testing area for fleeting systems. Other people have 'family' factions or a 'Jedi Order' group to help deal with training. Would these be restricted...if so why?

Finally, there's the matter of enforcement. Would this be handled by the board software, or rely on an honour system? If it's handled by the board automatically, then that's fine, but I'm not sure that option exists. If it's an honour system, how can it be enforced?

Overall, I think I'm missing something. I do not understand what this proposal is supposed to fix or how it will do so.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

The most likely impact will be Invasions. Currently some characters appear for many Factions in them. Logic says that, going forward, they'll have to choose one and take an ally slot otherwise.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]

I personally don't see the issue with people creating more characters to get around this fix. I would actually see that as almost a benefit. As it currently stands though, I can take my master level Sith Lord, join all the ally factions, and roleplay just enough to be considered active membership, thus circumventing the ally portion of invasions. Of course I don't, but it's something that has occurred in the past. The point of a Major faction is for it to be it's own species, not an amalgamation of other factions memberships. And if creates new and interesting characters that become leveled and experienced with their own stories, then I fail to see the problem..

If this proposal does go through, I hope your hypothesis comes true. That would be neat.

[member="Corvus Raaf"]
Sure, that's the one situation which would be improved.

Each character can join only one major faction. That's simple and clean, even effective.

I'm guessing enforcement could be tricky though.

50H31

Seeker of Enlightenment
I suggests a caveat, then.

Each major faction needs a public section in their forums. I shouldn't have to join a faction just to figure out why I was tagged in the Mando forums (that's happened before, I'm not blaming anyone specific, but it happened), or to keep up on site news/general announcements.

Even more importantly, this is just as good for the faction, so we have a place where people who haven't joined a faction can come in and ask questions about things. Some parts of the faction should be members only, but general info areas shouldn't be.

Also, for what it's worth, I would recommend a higher limit on minor factions (I dunno maybe 5), if only because some folks use many of them for temporary organizational stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom