Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jedi and Sith: What's the Difference?

So, something's bugged me for a while. I have a brother who says that there are lightside Sith.
This has intrigued me for a while, and, indulging my curiosity, I decided to study this. Now, the Sith Code says this:
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.
and the Jedi Code goes thusly:
There is no emotion, there is peace.
There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
There is no passion, there is serenity.
There is no chaos, there is harmony.
There is no death, there is the Force..
Anything stands out? I see something. Neither of these codes says anything about the Dark Side or the Light Side of the Force. Both specifically mention Peace in the first line, and both mention Passion. My conclusion?
The difference between Jedi and Sith is this: The Sith believe in using their emotions to gain power, while the Jedi purge their emotions. Since some of the most powerful emotions are fear, rage, and anger, most Sith end up using the Dark Side, but if one were to use an emotion like love (not to be confused with lust), that Sith is more likely to use the Light Side. The Jedi are far more likely to use the Light Side because they purge their emotions.

What do you think?

Ruye Etarn

R
Well first off, a Sith can be light sided by not following the code, ever heard of a Dark Jedi? How about a Rogue Sith Lord? No you haven't in this sense, that's because, like you said, emotions can be powerful. Power means a hold on something, and emotion has a very powerful hold on the users of the Dark side, or former users in this case.

As far as the code is concerned, you are correct with your hypothesis in the Sith code. As long as you have a passion for something, no matter what it is really, you're following the code. However, in a Sith society lead by this code, it's all about darwinism. A lovey dovey lets be friends sith won't stand a chance against a mob of haters, no matter how strong they have their feelings of societal love.

I have heard of many theorys on how the dark and light side works, ;in Revan, revan explained it as not two different sides but two strings intertwined together. In Darth Palagious, it was discribed that there was no dark, but there was the intention of the user, the dark side was just the jedi forcing the light towards his or her own desires.

True, but I wasn't thinking, "Lovey dovey let's be friends." I was thinking more along the lines of, "It is the east, and Juliet is the sun. Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon, Who is already sick and pale with grief That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she. . . .The brightness of her cheek would shame those stars As daylight doth a lamp; her eye in heaven Would through the airy region stream so bright That birds would sing and think it were not night." Yes, I just quoted Shakespeare. Emotions are a complicated thing, and a passion for a person could easily be stronger than anger. Charles Xavier, in X-Men First Class, said that "True focus lies between Rage and Serenity." Both parties could have it pretty much right.

Vault said:
I have heard of many theorys on how the dark and light side works, ;in Revan, revan explained it as not two different sides but two strings intertwined together. In Darth Palagious, it was discribed that there was no dark, but there was the intention of the user, the dark side was just the jedi forcing the light towards his or her own desires.
Good point. I haven't read either of those books, although I'm constantly being told I should.

I get it, but Love is weird. In the English language there is only a few words for Love, but in several other languages (Greek, for instance, or Hebrew), there are many different words for Love and each different word has a different type of meaning.

Lord Ghoul

L
Love can be a catalyst for terrible things. For instance: Romeo offing himself for "Love" *spoiler* It's not the emotions you feel - feeling emotion is merely human - it is how you deal with them. Dark Siders give in to their emotions, Light Siders teach restraint. Dark Siders are the Ids of the star wars world. The unfettered subconscious running to every desire. That's the difference I see.

Sith and Jedi are members of a religious order, not unlike the Templars.

The Jedi seek to use the Force altruistically, whilst the Sith use it selfishly. That's why the codes are similar, the two groups are opposed.

Lord Ghoul

L
The Sith are more like the Templars in that the order was designed as a martial order with an ultimate goal (reclaiming the Holy Land, or in this case destroying the Jedi). Jedi I would compare to Shaolin Monks. They are a scholarly order more focused on knowing self and helping others, but can kick some serious rear if need be.

Lord Ghoul

L
Monks in name only. The Templars sought to accumulate wealth and power, were created for a Holy War in the crusades, and in general were not the most friendly of orders. (I.E. not jedi material) Teutonics were worse, but only because they had the higher genocidal body count. The Hospitallers, Knights of St. John, are a better comparison if you must use a Medieval reference, seeing as they were literally created as an order of monks whose purpose was to build hospitals and help the wounded, but evolved into a martial order to protect those same wounded.

Agreed, Mikhail, but I think Tegaea said in organization and purpose. The Templars sought to take back the Holy Land, and they were very well organized. The Jedi most reflect that portion, while the Sith represent the corruption.

Lord Ghoul

L
Take back the holy land, yes. In essence... they were created to destroy. Which is the anti-thesis of the Jedi and therefore doesn't fit with the purpose. Sith also aren't representitive of corruption either. You can see corruption within the Jedi, with their stiffness and pride that eventually leads to their downfall at the hands of Sidious. The Sith represent, more or less, unfettered passion.

I should stop now. I tend to get into debate mode, consequence of doing collegiate parliamentary debate/team policy. I can be... over emphasizing of technicalities. Don't want to offend anybody. Anyway, those are my thoughts :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom