Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Invasions: Do you complain a lot OOC?

/me looks at the title

Only if it takes more than the seventy-two hours after their last post for the dominion to be wrapped up.

And I'd love to see the rule about preparing invasions in advance to be wiped. Do it and I guarantee at least one faction will be invaded in multiple places overnight.

I'm also aware that the preparation, while supposed to be minimal, can become excessively drawn out to where the actual invasion doesn't start until ages from now.

@[member="Tegaea Alcori"] Likely, I will expand on my earlier comments later when I have two moments to rub together to concisely form suggestions for structure of invasion/subjugation/what have you. :)

Not necessarily.

Before the Nar Shaddaa Invasion, I told Domino approximately when we were invading. I asked if she had any concerns. One of her concerns was objectives. I told her I had no interest in them. Moved on. I believe we delayed the invasion a few days to wrap up an IC precursor thread. That was all.

While discussion can delay an invasion it does not have to. You can -choose- not to be delayed. Had domino tried to stall for no reason, I would have launched it anyways. Some may have chosen to complain about that, but in the end I doubt the RPJs would have said I breached any rules.

Here's the thing with invasions. Ultimately, they have to be a collaboration between faction heads or someone is going to get pissed off. People put a lot of work into faction storylines, especially those at the top. There is going to be an investment in them. I strongly disagree with removing the OOC coordination rule, because in truly motivated groups of writers there is going to be investment in their story. Something as major as a military conflict will hurt feelings somewhere along the lines if there aren't open lines of communication and some level of planning around win/lose conditions.

This isn't to say the entire thread needs to be planned out with every i dotted and forms submitted in triplicate, but have an outline, make sure both parties are on the same page for at least that basic outline of possible events and then let the story go as it may. This also isn't to say things have to be 'fair' or 'balanced,' but you'd be surprised how much more agreeable most writers will be to taking a loss if it's discussed from the start and not something suddenly sprung on them from left field.

This whole thing is for fun, and being too aggressive about the meta game OOCly just leads to hurt feelings and rage. It's 'just a board' but, as stated above, it's a board a lot of people put their creative energies and investment into, and suddenly attacking can far too easily come off as pissing in someone's cheerios just for the sake of it, no matter what the invader's original intentions were.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
image.png

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Do you complain a lot:
If by complain you mean 'suggestions for greater efficiency, education, and natural board evolution'? Then yeah. I complain a lot. But I also tend to believe it gets stuff accomplished too. :p

Do we need more rules:
I don't have global perspective. Not my decision. However, if any member or Admin notices a global patterns of abuse, concern, or suggestion? Then yeah. Go for it. :D

Is PvP super chaoic on this board:
Darn straight it is. But I think Tef likes it that way. Hence the name, Chaos. Now, just wait until the new movies come out and this website explodes. 60 v 60 Invasions. 300 v 300 Invasions. Fourteen year old kids who've never read a book about WWII in their lives. Yeah. Good luck with that. Lol. :p

Will Tef lose money on the Super Bowl:
Yeah. Probably. :p

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Jay Scott Clark said:
Is PvP super chaoic on this board: Darn straight it is. But I think Tef likes it that way. Hence the name, Chaos. Now, just wait until the new movies come out and this website explodes. 60 v 60 Invasions. 300 v 300 Invasions. Fourteen year old kids who've never read a book about WWII in their lives. Yeah. Good luck with that. Lol.
All the yes.

Personally, I try to limit my complaining as much as possible until it crosses a line such as others writing that my characters are dead. The importance of who wins a fight or Invasion is minimal, in my opinion.

Tefka said:
Do you think OOC complaints are holding us back?
Yes, though limited to a specific type of complaint. Or really, a motivation for a complaint.

A lot of complaints I've seen that get reported are due to a character not "winning". And to be honest, some of these complaints are actually considered by Staff.

This is not the same as a character "losing," one example of such being that a Faction loses a takeover or a character loses a fight. Both situations in which a party loses involves either mutually accepting the loss or a multitude of other factors that needed to be considered. Sometimes when a character "loses," though, it's due to a Writer controlling the actions of the losing party without their permission. This is an understandable complaint. Yet for other situations where a party "loses," many other factors need to be taken into consideration - and sometimes it is valid.

Yet when a party complains that they did not "win," that's taking a different type of mentality to the situation. They've had control of their characters and never had a moment where a Writer took the driver seat of their characters without permission. What happened was that their objective was simply not met. To give a an example: this would be a situation where a Writer attempts to kill another Writer's character and such a character escapes.

Usually, at no point in that situation does the Writer attempting to kill actually "lose". Yet at the same time, the goal of killing the other Writer's character fails - and understandably so. The reason why the Writer would fail in killing the character is because he/she does not control other Writers' characters.

Therefore, the motivation to complain due to not "winning" is not the same as "losing." When a party "loses," they lost control of their characters either mutually or not and for valid or invalid reasons. When a party does not "win," they usually never lost control of their characters and are actually seeking to gain control of another Writer's character.

A lot of the reasons for complaining about not "winning" may be due to the expectations of the Writer. If he/she believes that he/she has the right to win, then obviously he/she is going to have some angst when the other Writer chooses not to relinquish his/her control over the character.

And this ties in with worrying too much about a "plan" instead of just rolling with what happens, which happens to be the second question.

Tefka said:
Do you think we should remove some of the rules that say "cooperate to plan invasions" and just let people go at it?
In my opinion, it is a lot less stressful to just go out there and wing it rather than having a strict plan and following it. The fact is, not everyone will know the plan and not everyone that knows of the plan will want to follow it. I recommend Faction Administrators, when planning Invasions, to just have objectives as a means to create a battlefield to concentrate players and encourage PVP situations rather than as win/loss indicators. The win/loss indicator should mostly be in-character events tied in with how actively one side attempting to write their victory over the other. Faction Administrators can convene when the Invasion starts to die down and then plan out an endgame based on what has happened.

Tefka said:
Do you think that the drama llamas here at SWRP outweigh our common sense?
They can't outweigh my common sense, but I've noticed some people have begun to appease certain drama llamas out of a desire to not deal with them.

Tefka said:
Do you want to sell your soul to me?
Does this unit have a soul?

Do you think OOC complaints are holding us back?

I think it depends on the complaint. All of what has been said so far seems reasonable, though since I don't know the nature of everything that has been going on, I'll hold my opinion until I learn more reading about it from others on here.

Do you think we should remove some of the rules that say "cooperate to plan invasions" and just let people go at it?

There are good things and there are bad things for removing some of these rules. We have to pick and choose selectively and carefully. Remove too much, we might end up with a bigger problem. Too little, and maybe nothing changes. If nothing changes, that rule wasn't the problem. It's kinda like coding xD If that code doesn't do anything, it isn't the problem. All of it is an experiment, so we just have to work with it =)

Do you think that the drama llamas here at SWRP outweigh our common sense?

Common sense...what be this common sense you speak of? xP But honestly, with all the drama and the fantastic points made so far in this thread, I have to say that everyone really needs to man up about what happens. No one wins everyday, so take some maturity pills and deal with it. If your character's arm gets cut off when you didn't want it to, I can see that being a problem, but if you lose a duel, run away to fight another day. It's not the end of the galaxy.

Do you want to sell your soul to me?

My soul was already sold to life. I don't get any refunds xP

Tefka said:
Do you think OOC complaints are holding us back? Do you think we should remove some of the rules that say "cooperate to plan invasions" and just let people go at it? Do you think that the drama llamas here at SWRP outweigh our common sense? Do you want to sell your soul to me?
See, I do not get the "cooperate to plan attacks" type of thing. No one gets a notice in the mail "Your country will be attacked in 72 hours. Cheerio!". Why not be surprised? Why not just roll with it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom