Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interest Check: A faction as a site experiment.

So... I want to test out something. I've looked over the most recent set of dominion rules, and it made me wonder - how quickly could a faction spring up and grow to become the largest individual one on the board if it had a sufficient amount of dedicated writers who were willing to 'speed dominion'(and I use that term loosely due to its neutering by the rules) together and get a thread going.

This is my proposal for such a faction:

• Based around 8-10 writers willing and dedicated to the mass dominion cause.
  • With a faction Skype chat to allow for the highest level of information transfer during a specific dominion rush.
  • Hidden faction boards, not visible to those outside the faction in question, as to allow for the private planning of the best possible dominion strategy.
  • Completely new characters, as to best provide a clean slate for the faction and output data unaffected by pre-existing resources.
  • An NPC IC leader of the faction, in concert with there not truly being an OOC leader - merely groups for dominions.
  • As the faction exists solely as a site experiment, planets successfully dominioned and added to the territory can, instead of being invaded, be acquired by an 'invading' faction through a standard dominion thread.
The results should be somewhat intriguing, assuming the go-ahead can be gained from the site staff. There might even be some usefulness for this in the site canon beyond the experiment's original goals.

Anyone have interest? Questions? Views on it?

[member="Enigma"]

It would be interesting. Like an attempted galactic take over if done right and it would even be cool if it were to add some long term development to a future event.

My thoughts on the matter.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
It would be a site experiment only until you owned a map majority. Then it would be a private kingdom. Well. Until all the other factions united as a group to invade it to death. Bleg.

Wait. That's a great idea. A massive rush of uncontested invasions to spread another Faction's influence faster! Yes!!

*plots exploitations*

*plots exploitations intensifies* :D :p

Especially as you can't have more than 20 posts by one person, it's now much harder to speed dominion things.

Furthermore, I think a Major Faction requires more a premise than 'We're doing a test about dominions'. That doesn't speak of permanence to me.

Just to throw my two cents into the mix. The Raulynate has a bit of this idea in it, mainly in the fact that it is designed after and inspired by the Mongolian Empire.

Take my word for it: Speed dominions kill activity. If the objective outweighs the characters involved it becomes a chore, and if it becomes a chore people who come to this site as an escape from such things aren't having fun.
When people aren't having fun--as you might guess--they head somewhere else so they can.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic but from a realistic standpoint rapid growth only works in small bursts. Complete dedication to the concept isn't going to last on a site where people arrived to roleplay.

Of course, that being said I wouldn't be entirely opposed to testing this on a smaller scale. And might even be interested if there's a greater benefit to the community!

[member="Hans Vaiden"]: Stagnation's occurred recently with regards to larger-scale growth of factions. I'd like to see whether that problem can be somewhat allayed.

[member="Orick T'ane"]: In a manner of speaking. The goal to determine the rate of growth, in concert with the amount of effort directly put towards expansion.

[member="Uri Aureleos"]: Possibly, though whether the site staff were to somehow make this site canon-related or not is up to them.

[member="Jay Scott Clark"]: You forgot the last clause there - being that this is a faction existing solely for the experiment, planets 'invaded' by other factions would simply be dominioned into their territory.

[member="Judah Dashiell"]: Not necessarily.

@Break: Depends on the group of people.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"]: Hence my reference to the 'neutering' of speed dominioning, making it that much more challenging. As for permanence, it'll hopefully stay around for several months. Either way, it'll last longer than the Bluehawks.

[member="Anja Aj'Rou"]: Perhaps. Then again, it depends on what sort of plots are utilized regarding the development of said speed dominions. The faction's IC pretense may be surprisingly unique.

Enigma said:
The faction's IC pretense may be surprisingly unique.
You want to make a faction to test out how far it can grow.

If that is the case, what is the plot behind this faction? What is it based on? Motivations? Goals? If you don't have any for the faction, and don't build it up on that, there is little chance that you will come up with a plot for dominions that will be able to go over and above the minimal effort put into the faction itself. A faction is only successful if the actual reasoning behind it is more than a whim to try to test the boundaries on things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom