Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you handicap your characters?

So earlier this week I asked how many of you guys would like it if I did a weekly question for the board, and the idea seemed to go over pretty well! That in mind, here’s the first of many: How do you handicap your characters? What are your favorite ways to do so? Personally, I’m a fan of the mental type weaknesses. Stuff nobody but your character knows about, and that they struggle with every day.

Aleidis Zrgaat

Young soul from an older generation.
I prefer inherent, intrinsic, and crippling weaknesses that cannot be overcome - only worked around. Like congenital heart failure, crippling stupidity, or being a Ghostling.

Aleidis Zrgaat said:
I prefer inherent, intrinsic, and crippling weaknesses that cannot be overcome - only worked around. Like congenital heart failure, crippling stupidity, or being a Ghostling.

same when i made a silentium i mahe him have no method of easaly interacting. souldnt speak ot manipulate external items.
my Mandalorian developed cancer and had autism to an extent.

[member="Gherron Dragonsflame"] Too many ways.

Give them a mental affliction or multiple of them. Cripple them give them a robotic limb or vongforms limb. Remove the force or memories. Could make a strength a weakness too, If a species is naturally has healing or enhanced senses then you could make them extra arrogant.

Stuff like that

[member="Gherron Dragonsflame"], Most if the time, it depends on the character for me. If they come from a crap background, then physical scars, or a debilitating mental blocker works well. Specifically PTSD. With the amount of stuff that people have done on the site, I am sure using a severely debilitating form of PTSD could be a huge blocker that could be permanent, or worked around.

Physical scars and injuries caused by their life style are always a good one.

There is one that I currently use for Zeph, and that is how women are a weakness to him. He was taught by his father to treat women with higher respect, so in many cases, Zeph has let women do what they want, and he just kind of deals with it. He doesn't attack them, and he always attempts to get out of a fight rather than end the fight.

[member="Scherezade deWinter"], that person literally copied a list off of a website. I would know since I have used it many times in the past, and shared it with others on weaknesses they could use.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
By showcasing vulnerability, conflict, crisis, real humanity, physical loss, and tangible growth during an RP.

Assume nobody reads your profile. If they can't guess your character's weaknesses after two threads together? It didn't matter anyway.

Wanderer Lost, Wanderer Found
A few ideas, one's I've actually used:

1. Put a concrete top limit on how strong they can get without help. No Gods Among Men without a damn good storyline to go with it. I mean, where's the fun when there's nothing left in the galaxy that can challenge you? If anything, writing a character on the weaker end of the scale gives you more opportunities for creativity.

2. Conversely, give them a deficiency in what could be considered a key skill in the universe they're in. I've got one character who's an AMAZING shot, but has no stamina or skill in a hand-to-hand fight. I have another who's GREAT at hand-to-hand, but a terrible strategist who should never be allowed to make complicated plans. This one kind of makes sense when you think about it: if you spend a lifetime honing one skill to perfection, you've probably neglected quite a few others. This one also forces you to rely on other characters to account for your deficiencies, which is FUN!

3. An actual, debilitating mental condition. This one can be tricky, and has to actually be shown as a hindrance (as an example, if they suffer from hallucinations, having them get hurt because they can't tell a hallucination from reality). Make sure to do your research before trying this one.

4. Never Fully Heal Your Injuries. Any injury your character gets should leave SOME type of scar. If the injury is minor, it can be purely cosmetic, but severe ones...those scars go bone-deep. Those scars should still hurt. They should disfigure. They should have impact. Otherwise, what's the point in getting hurt?

5. Take the characters' strengths, and flip them over the look at their dark underbelly. Have they got a special ability? Maybe it's got a nasty side effect preventing them from using it every chance they could. Are they a gigantic tank and can soak up lots of damage? Maybe they're slow and heavy and terrible in tight quarters.

6. Arrogance is such a common 'flaw', and so rarely has any meaningful fruit in a character, that I make a point to fall back on it as little as possible. If you ARE going to use it, you'd better put your money where your mouth is, and often. That arrogant character's going to have to piss people off with his ego, get himself or others hurt because He's The Best And Thinks He Can Handle Anything, jump into something unprepared and fail horribly, you name it. Otherwise, it's just going to become one of those Mary Sue "Flaws" that are just an excuse for you to talk about how Awesome And Cool You Are Because Your Main Flaw Is Knowing You're Awesome And Cool, and you don't want to be that guy. That guy is annoying and no one likes him.

7. Throw in a random, seemingly-trivial one. Often times, these ones add a huge touch of flavor, and can result in some amazing dynamics when they actually come into play. Some examples: This particular character is REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE around rich people. Another of my characters kind of hates children. It's resulted in some...interesting conversations, at least.

8. Make them Ugly. Or Poor. Give them limited resources, and let doors slam in their face that would be open to someone pretty or rich. Because let's be real, there's a limit to how many people in a galaxy would realistically have unlimited access to everything they could ever want.

9. Don't be afraid to have minor negative interactions. I'm not talking epic, destiny-driven fights to the death--I'm talking petty, everyday poodoo. Bicker with characters you don't think your character would like. If your character's a rude guy, make a point to have them offend someone. Let them hold a grudge because Karen from Accounting Stole My Lunch, that queen. It's unrealistic to be universally liked, and you'll often get more interesting dynamics with the folks your character doesn't like than with the ones they DO like.

Jay Scott Clark said:
By showcasing vulnerability, conflict, crisis, real humanity, physical loss, and tangible growth during an RP.

Assume nobody reads your profile. If they can't guess your character's weaknesses after two threads together? It didn't matter anyway.
I agree with this 100%, though I am likely late to the show. In 10 years I've been roleplaying on the internet, I have learned that no one cares about your profile, really and if they do it's to glean information that would be better learned about through roleplay. Hence why I stopped my bio at appearance.

However, proper weaknesses are something that is very complicated. Consistent weaknesses, especially. I'm not talking "Well, I'm not very good at chess" as a weakness, but as people here have said, mental disabilities and the like. I am usually cautious when it comes to mental illnesses in character, because there is a consistent theme I have found on the internet where people tend to misrepresent these things, and even worse, romanticize them...

I am no innocent in this myself. But I thought about weaknesses. There is a thing about weaknesses. They are not mutually exclusive to Strengths. The two can be the same thing. "Your biggest strength was your biggest weakness" is a very true statement, but this doesn't always work.

Then you have mental and physical disabilities. When played correctly, this can be really good, so long as it doesn't start to dive into the realm of "Pity me for I am crippled." This is annoying. I find a good way to go about this is find a trope that is founded on a weakness, and think of a way of tackling it that isn't just a blatant rip off. Everything is a trope. The only difference between a good and bad trope is how you display it. How you make connections with other character and if you are good at sharing the road.

I made a sociopath once. Before I made the character, I rigorously learned what made a sociopath a sociopath, what common ticks and tendencies they had, and how they operated. This is very important to do when dealing with a behavioral afflictions. If you don't know how to follow the template, how are you going to break it in an interesting way? Knowing the Rules before you break the rules is key.

Then I figured out a longterm goal. This is the goal that has plagued the character for a long time, and will continue to plague them for a long time to come. This motivation is key because it acts as a trigger for responses. The Motivation dictates what they react too, and the Affliction modifies how they react to it.

So I made her want to have her own family. She had a rather typical sad story background which made her angry, but Sociopaths are made via intense truama and abuse in developmental years so this was kinda a requirement. Abandoned by her mother, lived on the streets, bad things happened to her. I can already feel people losing interest due to the pity party those lines of the backstory call up. But, given she had been abandoned by so many people, she thought that if she could just have a child ((Father staying in the picture was not required)) then she would have someone she could make sure never abandoned her. Never left her. Never hurt her.

This was her only goal. But she couldn't let any tom dick or harry be the father of her child! She was a genius! A mental prodigy, and certainly no slouch on the physical. A perfectionist by the whole meaning. No. The father had to be a perfect specimen. Smart, strong, brave, and you see where this is going.

This was a weakness. Her being a Sociopath wasn't exactly a weakness, if anything it was a strength. It was this *motivation* that made it a weakness. Sociopaths hide their traits from people, the same with Psychopaths. They are invisible, which makes them dangerous, until you know they are a sociopath. So, they act normally. She would act like your typical 39 year old woman, drinking coffee, doing work, chatting with co-workers and flirting with the occasional prospect.

Then someone would make a joke about her biological clock running out, and they would have a knife to their neck so to speak. Someone would threaten to fix her, and she would lose her mind. She would be overcome by the anger that Sociopaths are afflicted by, and blow her cover entirely. She would attack anyone, friend or foe, who implied threatening, or inadvertently threatened her ability to have children, and the older she got, the more violent her reactions became, because she was aware that the clock was ticking. It was a constant burden, and constant clawing in the back of her mind.

Hell, she almost killed the one man she actually developed a modicum of emotions for, simply because once she was pregnant, he pulled her and dipped her to the floor, and she felt like he was going to drop her, which could have hurt the baby, which might have lead to her losing the baby, which would have lead to her possibly never being able to have children again, and she saw red.

TL;DR

Weaknesses are complex and can come from a variety of things. Social or physical, if done well they can make a character that will be remembered for a long long time. But I try to dig real deep into the character to figure out where the weakness actually comes from, and I try my best to put the weakness on a drip feed to the other players so that I don't call for a pity party every time I mention them.

I don't stop at the affliction, I dig into the motivations and goals of the character, both short term and long term, when trying to figure out where the true weakness comes from. Why does X become a weakness? Can that weakness be turned into a strength? Lots of stuff go into it. *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom