Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feel about a map reset?

How do you feel about a Map Reset?

• Total voters
I'm banning from the thread the next couple of people who bring up who's popular with Staff. We'll at least know then who's not.

Bestala Vizsla said:
I believe it would be much more fun and tolerable if it was the consequence of a major galactic event rather than an arbitration without any in-character backing before the map wipe.
The reset's link to the next event has already been confirmed, multiple times.

Evad said:
Does this all get ret-conned?
Absolutely not. Our history will remain intact.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
On balance, I'm in favor of a map reset with IC justification. I'd definitely say keep custom planets, keep everything canon - just add an element that unravels everything back to square one. Maybe all hyperspace travel and FTL communication stop working for a little while. Maybe the Gulag Virus comes back at a smaller scale, and most planets say 'screw this faction nonsense, we're closing our borders.'. There are ways to do this IC and make it awesome.

Edit: just saw the event/reset link, which I love. Serves me right for trying to skim a 180-post thread on my phone.

Ashin Varanin said:
Maybe the Gulag Virus comes back at a smaller scale, and most planets say 'screw this faction nonsense, we're closing our borders.'. There are ways to do this IC and make it awesome.

The Sorcerers of Rhand unleash a Plague and several Lotek'ks that were slumbering until now...till the stars were right? :p

[member="Ashin Varanin"]

I toyed with the idea of bringing the Gulag plague, and every time I do, Staff rightfully dunks a keyboard into my face.

Gulag plague was a one time event. And really, it's only an explanation. "The gulag plague struck again, so I take all of your territory off the map." There's no antagonist. There's nothing you can do. It's an element, not an adversary. That seems so cheap to me. I don't want to take an axe to something people are so passionate about without good reason - which is why I continually harp on the fact that this discussion would have never taken place if it wasn't for Staff playing around with ideas of the next event.

With events, we've done so much.

But there's an infinity of things we've haven't done, and I think everyone will agree with me that delving into the new and unexpected is much more anticipated and exciting than continually revisiting the past. I think it's cool to bring up the past, and reference it. But put new spins on it. Don't ever strike the same place twice.

But to wave things off with a simple explanation like "the gulag plague struck?" That was necessary for the board's setting, but to impose it now would be a pretty cheap move, imo. It was easy to do it when no one was here. Not so easy now.

Stephanie Swail

Look what they've done to my dream
The easiest thing to do, I think, is do what popular 80s soap 'Dallas' did. If millions of viewers buy it for TV, hundreds of writers can buy it for RP.

At a precise moment, at a precise time, every character on the board suddenly wakes up in their bed. They go to the refresher and find [member="Tefka"] in the shower, and realises that the last few years on Chaos have all been nothing but a dream.

24bt85i.jpg

All invasions, dominions etc have been the fabrication of wild imagination and so they have to start again, awake.

....well it's worth a shot, I enjoyed that twist to wipe out a whole season. :)

[member="Tefka"]

Now, you see i have to argue with you, yes the plague was a rather useful tool for setting up for the site but what if we were to actually play it out in the form of a different disease or parasite. You see i think it works both in two ways, A: It can be a IC catalyst for people to do some fun stuff and get rid of their inactive chars in a very interesting and very heartbreaking way if their chars are in relation with another group. It also threatens the status qou and while yes mos people would lock their borders immediately, that would be the thing you need to justify the loss of influence.

The reason i so support another plague is partially because i was on WoW RPing when the plague glitch there hit, and god that was some of the best RP because people were reacting realistically, fit that to our universe, and give us all a plague to fight as well as dealing with the fear that comes from it. IT also paves the way for rebellions in the future if you reinstate those because you now have a reason for a planet not to trust a central government even more so. You see, if we did this it gives the opportunity to both provide realistic actions of people in a pandemic, allows you time to restructure rebellions as a long term solution, and if you even just shrunk a empire instead of wiping it, maybe down to 3 to 6 planets depending on what they currently have you allow everyone a chance to truly try and deal with an IC danger to their chars.

But plague has been used and we have to find new cool things to do. If we repeated events, it would get boring. Innovative ideas are what people like will like in these cases. And so having another Clockwork, a Dark Harvest, a Valen or a Masks of Madness, or even a Gulag Virus is not something so interesting. Like [member="Tefka"] said, there are infinite things we have not tried. We just have to get past the most obvious ways to reset things (plague, catastrophe, technology taking over, whatever) and find the really amazing ones which nobody has come up with yet.

The obvious ideas are overused and cliché. It's time to get innovative and show our true storywriting skills.

[member="Maria Natalja"] [member="Tefka"]

Then perhaps you guys should look towards the community and ask what sort of IC reason or Event people would be interested in seeing, and as for a complete map wipe i think that is still a bit harsh. Approach the Faction leaders and ask them if there are 3-6 planets (Again depending on their size) that they would want to save from such an event. Of course the rules of dominions in terms of their distance must be followed and only planets they control can be saved. But it would be better than just telling them they lose everything and hurt alot of feelings in regards to all that progress and hard work.

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
Hello!

Well I voted on the second of the three choices. My reasons are the following

• As a small Major Faction we have justed finished our first dominion and having spent the last two months getting to this point (we lost a bunch of writers early on!) along with a lot of efforts elsewhere on dveloping the small territory my faction owns a map reset would feel like we didn't get a chance to do much on the galactic stage. I'm certain the other few small major factions might feel the same (Red Ravens and The Shadow Empire)
  • How, what, and why, would suddenly these major factions lose their territories? I mean the Galactic Republic owns quite the swath of space and has a significant membership along with the mandolarians, ASA, Fringe, Omega, and the Black Suns. In character what reasoning is to be put forward on the sudden loss of territory?
  • How does this help? I understand people might feel things are stifling with the number of major factions controlling swathes of territory but there are mechanics and story board ideas that are simple to come across. I've encounter/talked with a few different rebel/freedom fighter/

Now despite my greivancs on this I'm more than willing to work with how the majority of people feel.

• As mentioned a return of a plague and such might be interesting. The Imperial Remnant has been working on a hospital ship for quite a while now (still nitpicking it). I'm a US Navy reservist in RL and one of the finest vessels of the US Navy is the Hospital Ships USNS Comfort and USNS Mercy. I know of several other developed countries who also have hospital ships of their own. We have a number of writers with characters who are healers of sorts.
  • Recently I've chatted with someone on the development of a new hyperspace route. This map reset idea we could simply shrink territories for the most part and say that suddenly a mass corruption of the astro navigational data shared by so many computers have become corrupted
  • Perhaps a disturbance in the force so great that it afflicts all those with a conenction with a vision of something terrible to come,. What that terrible is I have no idea yet as I'm hung and can't really think to clearly on ideas.

So yeah those just a few of my ramblings! :D

I look forward to what is to come, where good or bad, the Imperial Remnant shall endure! FOR THE EMPIRE! :cool:

Lara Zambrano

The Lost Princess.
Now, on the flip side....

What if there was a Galactic Event that caused such a thing to happen? De-stabilization of entire government and factions to such an extent that territories began eroding? We're not talking the level of the Gulag plague, although I think it would bring a unique level of mortality to the Galaxy as a whole but something to just take the well seated established base and scramble it up.

You could tie the two of them together to make it more fun for people, so that way everyone is focusing on positive things instead of "Ugh, I'm losing territory..."
I think this is a fantastic idea if people do want a change. Rather then just 'change' everything OOCly, the next event would be an awesome reason for destabilizing governments and factions. I know people have worked hard to build up what they have, and there is nothing stopping your character from attempting to claim said planet again - if that is what your character would do, we cannot ask you not too OOCly. Either way I can see good roleplay coming if we change or not.

rain21199

The One Horned Demon
If we reset set then it means more dominions for all of you folks out there that enjoy doing them. It makes a lot of sense to me why the administration wants a reset. It will add a lot more to do and will create a lot more activities to participate in. As soon as the map gets reset I'm positive we will end up seeing a mad dash for planets, and that seems like it would be pretty fun to participate in. You have my vote to go through with it. Also I may or may not have an idea for the galactic event, so pm me somebody if you want to hear them.

Beowoof

Morality Policeman :)
I realize this is all science-fantasy and what, but a galactic event that purges the entire galaxy and all semblance of governance?

The galaxy is a very large place, and it's just too far-fetched to assume that everyone is going to fall again for some new Scourge of the Systems. We've had the Vong and the Plague and such... Shouldn't everyone be expecting catastrophe now and be prepared for it? That's why people form governments--for societal protection.

It seems really unreasonable and, quite honestly, tired.

I was on the fence before, but what is needed is not a map wipe, but a reworking of map mechanics. Let's have the little things matter for once instead of aiming for bigger and badder. Now that would be fresh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom