Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you feel about a map reset?

How do you feel about a Map Reset?

• Total voters

sabrina

[member="Beowoof"] if we have another galaxy collide with this one, it could work. Though the event in reality, would take billions if not trillions of years. We could do timy whimy thing, from doctor who to make happen. This would also make the map bigger, so more territory in long term. Though if a map reset does happen, it should not happen again. So there should be some long term things, put in place to stop the need. Though I think that would be best done on another thread, so not to fill this one up.

sabrina

[member="Tefka"] would it be okay to start another thread, to explore possible ideas to prevent it being required again?
I know [member="Strider Garon"] has one saying don't do it, but I am on the fence about as I like the idea. As it would give some people a chance to grow again, and to grow with room. Though I can see why people would not want it, as they put lot effort into it. So if did happen, I like to prevent the need for it again.

Though I think the decision should be made soon, so people can plan for it.

Okay, so I attempted to read all of this and had to stop at page 8.

There are a lot of ideas being thrown out there, some good, some not so much.

It seems that any rule changes that don't immediately and directly pertain to some variation of a Map Reset is being ignored. It's being fenced in to a "Reset=Yes/no?".

If those are the only two options, I invariably choose no.

I do want to see new regulations/rules/customs when it comes to the map however. I think the age of painstakingly going planet by planet in a dominion, or an invasion is beginning to have its negative effects on factions and Tefka alike. The truth is, the Galaxy is huge right now, and the parts that sum up to our current setting are painfully small.

Why not put bigger stakes on Invasions? Put more value in dominions? Make factions put work into what they claim? If you claim your faction is about story, then it should be an obvious requirement that you need to make stories in the territories you collect. If you can't make the requirement, you get shrunk.

I feel like Invasions should no longer be singular planet deals, they should be sweeping actions that put whole hexes of territory in jeopardy, use Skirmishes for Planetary attacks, and use the Invasion to direct the Game Between Factions. Wouldn't it be easier for Tefka to color in a nice big hex, then a dozen individual dots that may or may not have other colored dots as obstacles to connect hem? Logistically, it should be a lot less painstaking focusing on a larger area. Besides, think of all the attention an Invasion would gather, to produce as many skirmishes on as many new worlds as possible? Would it increase drama? Most likely, but I bet the majority of the population would enjoy the feeling of being part of something huge, and weeks if not months in the making, that will go on like its own Galactic Event for a few weeks or months.

Dominions should be the same sort of deal, bigger and better and badder. Claim a whole Hex, and then create Occupational threads for a couple of key planets. Then, once they've claimed territory, they have to make new Occupational threads on a few key worlds to maintain a presence there both IC and OOC. It seems to me that people are most active in a faction, when that faction is at threat of losing some social status, and so if you have more events required inside the faction, the more likely active people will show up and do them, thus weeding out the stagnant factions that manage to stick around without really doing much. More drama? I would think it unlikely, but it could happen, especially if a Faction were to fail to maintain its occupation and lose a chunk of their territory to government neglect (and rebellion).

Also, Rebellions absolutely have to be Revamped.

So just to be clear:

TL;DR: I'm more in for a soft reset tied into a Galactic Event, then I am of a full reset. Additionally, I think Invasions/Dominions/Rebellions and the idea of factions in general need to be reviewed and refined to make it easier on staff, and to invite activity, by putting bigger stakes on the galactic stage, and requiring more effort to stay on the map.

[member="Tefka"] that comment was made in reference to the proposed solution (reset vs. not reset), not the polling options presented. Sorry for the lack of clarity there.

Seguidor Oculto de la Verdad
Before we tread off into the realm changing invasion rule sets. Lets wait and see what happens with the map reset, take it one problem at a time. Especially since Tefka just said this poll decides nothing.

I posted a question to the people who vote yes on this:

Would you, personally, be more active after a map reset? And yes, this is a real question. The primary argument for this is that it would be different. But, does different equate to actually improving activity?

I've got plans either way, but for me, it needs to be convincing, and I'd like some more convincing. I realize some staff don't want to spoil the surprise, but honestly, trust goes both ways, and we've got establish a little ground here. So if you're in favor, could you cobble something together that actually makes it worth losing all the stuff we've worked on. I know you don't feel it matters, but to some of us, several of us, it's a big deal. I'd just like to hear more out of the in-favor side than "we need to shake things up." If things need to get shaken up, then why are we not pushing for an IC attempt that faction leaders are actually in on?

Caius Flavian

Faction Admin - The Galactic Republic
Honestly there is so much stuff already in motion that the "shake up" that someone such as myself who runs a faction on here along with a small host of characters, Works a full time job and the whole rest of the kitchen sink of things one can think of that keeps a person busy in life that there is plenty of stuff going on right now on the board. Activity is huge on here.
I barely can remain abreast of things as is.
Again as I said I'm fine with how things swing on this site, I'll roll with the punches and such.
But do we really need something to shake things up?
There are so many different stories in the works its fascinating to keep up with all of it. In fact the very essence of galactic events seem to be suffice enough to be considered a site event and that event is just that it is progressing just well!

I think one of the most difficult things right now is reconciling chronology of events and things and ensuring stories and such don't seem to be criss crossing and such in well... chaos

I really hope this event ties in the numerous stories already in motion as it would help immersion much more.

Like is said if for some reason we do perform a total map wipe I will roll along with it. However I would much rather we all worked together on what direction we take with this rather than just some out of the blue frak it we all lose multiple territories for some bizarre reason.

Welcome to Chaos.​

tumblr_m0u8x5mDDX1rry5evo1_500.gif
Down with the map.​
Let rise the rp.​

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Man, this website changes fast.

One minute, I'm fighting the only war in town with my Padawan character, for the future of the whole galaxy, with all of the 10 people who visit the site daily. Next thing I know, there are people, factions, minor factions, planets, invasions, lurkers, haters, lovers, bloggers, and even Staffers. Everywhere. People just flucking everywhere! Oh my gosh. (And Ben Watts is still most surely the mastermind of all of this chaos, I'm sure of it. Now if I could just find him. Hmm. Lol.) :D :p

I voted opposed. But, that said, I'm starting to feel less like a genre vet and more like a dinosaur everyday. :D

I should tag that >.>'' ...Oh. And Gundam Event. Much love. Would bang. So hip, so doge.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
[member="Alexandra Lianne Feanor"]

Ah. Harsh. I demand 100 sensual favors from your avatar to earn my forgiveness. Also, Gundams. xoxo Luv u. Carry on.

/hijack /not-a-hijack

sabrina

Strider Garon said:
I kinda want a decision to be made sooner then later. I am going to rp either way. This waiting in limbo sucks more then the Ultimate decision itself. Patience is not my strong suit. lol.
Agreed

Though if there is a reset, may I suggest these ideas

1: make dominions harder, increase needed posts and have time limits.
2: make skirmishes have the possibility making the planet fall to neutral
3: let minor factions own a planet
4: not sure how to make rebellions work, but revisit them completely
5: make the map bigger

sabrina said:
1: make dominions harder, increase needed posts and have time limits.

I do not think that would be conducive to breaking the stagnation here at Chaos, but rather, induce the opposite.

sabrina said:
2: make skirmishes have the possibility making the planet fall to neutral

For some reason, I find this suggestion intriguing :p

sabrina said:
3: let minor factions own a planet

No matter how much you might want it, it simply isn't a feasible idea. The map is meant for the big leagues, and updating the map to reflect tiny dots of people that will probably leave the idea later (let's face it, minor factions have a high casualty rate, and that's why our Major faction system is the way it is, it accommodates the few who survive long enough to be noteworthy), only increasing the workload of Tefka or any potential map updating team

sabrina said:
4: not sure how to make rebellions work, but revisit them completely

I absolutely agree!

sabrina said:
5: make the map bigger

Honestly I believe the size of the map is fine, but I believe how the game is played needs to be changed. The whole topic of discussion here (though under the guise that its solely about resetting the map) is actually a matter of how new activity can be introduced. I believe that this comment from Sabrina, and along with my own do have a value in the decision to reset or not to reset the map. Let me elaborate to you why:

Although Roleplaying is claimed to be about the story, we still have to acknowledge the "playing" part of Roleplay. We are all players in a huge game, even if we don't like to compare it to one since there are many infamous qualities of a game that we don't like sweeping into our writing portion (or the Role of a story). But let's create an analogy here.

Chaos Map Game is a popular game with lots of players, and one of its key features is a map of which territory can be gained and lost by collecting players, in order to drive your imperial expansion to other planets. However, it's filled up and gridlocked, and the developers of the game are worried it will continue indefinitely. So they decide to shake things up with a "new" installment or DLC of the game.

They have two options: Change up the graphics (the state of the map currently), or change up the game play (how the game is played on said map).

Which will have a more meaningful impact to activity? Change the appearance of the things by removing "progress" made by going through "levels" (faction threads) in favor of hopefully getting people to expand again? Or changing how the game is played by making it riskier, edgier, but most importantly, easier and more favorable to the people involved?

In my opinion, a reset doesn't change anything. If Chaos is stagnant, its not because of what we accomplished has become too big, its because we aren't doing anything with it. Make it easier to do, make the rewards of success better, and make the losses easier to win back, and you will see results: a reward unto itself.

:D

sabrina

[member="Fatty"] thanks for the feedback, I figured by making doms harder.

1:The planet would be harder to take, thus not fill the map up as quickly.

Also have been part of original dom, then it went stagnant. Then it restarted and annoyingly no one tagged me back in, as they were at war with us at that point. So a limitation on the time would be good, as it means they have start the story afresh if they take too long.

3: giving minor faction claim over a single planet, might help towards rebellions.

[member="sabrina"] Unfortunately giving planets out to factions that have high casualty rate when there is only one guy updating the map, makes the proposition infeasible, no matter what matters it may or may not possibly help.

I don't think I realized how big staff was until Tefka laid it out on me in the "Adding Influence" thread, and now I can see better from their side why this could be so heavily considered. Our map game is hella expensive in terms of manpower alone, not to mention all the other stuff I took for granted up until now.

Though I like the idea of time limits on dominions, I hate seeing stagnated dominions revived.. it's just plain annoying when they drag on forever!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom