Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question Had a good MFO chat. But apparently they all want a Map Wipe...?

Should we wipe the map

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Lies. Times a flat circle!

I don't mind the idea of a wipe so long as it has the story to go with it. But also. I also don't like the idea of the love and work dozens and dozens of writers have put in just being erased and invalidated.

Downside is it could seriously demotivated people too. And that should be avoided. To that ends I err on the side of no. With the Bryn down there's huge open space on the map soon for people. I think we are good honestly.

Such is the way.

96-A7-BB54-E411-49-E7-A2-C9-FF8-AD6-F466-DC.webp

Time for the Australians two cents. And I say this, no. Not at this time at least.

what Chaos has going at the moment is one of the comfiest wars going on with the Great Hyperspace Conflict. You’ve got the Maw, who are acing it as antagonists, and a lot of development in that arc. What with the sacking of Coruscant, and a fresh Maw offensive.

Maybe you’d have my vote if there was no juicy IC goodness being milked. But that’s not the case. There’s some absolute kino being written. And it would be a damned shame if we just blew it all up.

I do not want to.

I believe it can be very good fun for small factions or those who are not members of any faction... But the map changes greatly, full of free hexes, not crowded.

Why should so many people's achieved be ruined? I mean it's like and feels... What they have done so far is worth nothing? They have to throw away years of hard work?

Please also try to look at the others they would feel themselves. Many always say that a dominion system is not good because it feels like you have to do it. Like a compulsion what you can't avoid. With the map wipe, this would be exponential. It wouldn’t be fun, just a compulsion to get back what was taken away as soon as possible.

Blank slating would kick ass, and open up avenues for plenty of smaller Star Wars stories that we've been getting plenty of these days. Plus, it seems like the factions are just a revolving door IC, how many people in this galaxy haven't had their ruler change like 6 times. Might as well start it fresh, and see what grows from it.

Only if the first action by the first Major to reappear is to do what Disney was too cowardly to do and annihilate Coruscant.

Having characters both in and out of majors, it certainly would shake things up.

Subject 002 Tarnish

Ḍ̵̬̔o̷̜̫͐n̸͈͎̔'̶̣̲̑̐t̷̨̀ ̴̝͒Ḽ̷̏͝ò̵̼͝ö̶̝͑k̵͔̼̽
Here's how it would go:

Map wipe.
Screen mysteriously goes black.
Sit there for a couple of seconds in silence.
Screen slowly lights up.
You're in a wagon, surrounded by multiple other people.
You look over, and see Tefka sitting across from you.
He says, "Hey, you. You’re finally awake. You were trying to cross the border,
right? Walked right into that Imperial ambush, same as us, and that
thief over there."
Realize this was all a ploy for Tefka to promote his new shampoo company.
Cry.

I really like this idea

Vesta

V
Why should so many people's achieved be ruined? I mean it's like and feels... What they have done so far is worth nothing? They have to throw away years of hard work?
I'm not going to mince words, this was the sentiment people had about the idea of a map reset the first time we did one and it was quickly proven to affect people in entirely the opposite manner.

People should not be looking at the map like the sum total of all of their work, they should be looking at the amount of story that their characters and factions have accomplished for that. Factions (all of them except the Silver Jedi, I guess) eventually get recalled and taken off of the map -- does this mean that all of their work was erased? No. It opens up avenues for more stories to be told in the major faction system we have available to us, dominions are stories they are not development threads that exist solely to expand the hex size of a faction.

Maybe factions would stop taking them for granted if they were to lose it all and have to do it all again. It isn't anyone's fault that a dominion isn't enjoyable except the people doing them.

yes if my faction isnt on the map
no if my faction is on the map
Amen.

Would anything be done to keep the same factions from sprouting up again? I figure the communities will likely stay the same, each echo chamber will probably remain intact, despite the map shake up, so how do we keep GA/NIO/SJC/CIS/etc. II Electric Boogaloo from bringing back the status quo in a month or a few?

Amen.

Would anything be done to keep the same factions from sprouting up again? I figure the communities will likely stay the same, each echo chamber will probably remain intact, despite the map shake up, so how do we keep GA/NIO/SJC/CIS/etc. II Electric Boogaloo from bringing back the status quo in a month or a few?

Same way I’ve done it before you and your modern understanding of Chaos echo chambers ever existed. Time and I have a pretty good alliance that your groupies stand no chance against.

I like the idea of a map wipe. I wasn't here when y'all did it last time, and idk if it would be a good idea to do it right now at this very moment... although it would probably benefit most factions outside of the Maw and GA. Idk, it could just be the time of year, people are busy, but it does feel like most other major factions are floating but not swimming in the metaphorical sea of Chaos.

Let the Maw war death rebirth the universe, or have Auteme Auteme reveal she was the Sith'ari all along and have everything fade to white after she annihilates the black hole the galaxy orbits around. Or get super meta and play it up as a virus that infected the site and wiped the map.

I have so much work I have done here though.
Yes, and so had a majority of people on the site along side you. Cantifex ran the Sith Empire for legit years, Tathra ran the Bryn, as a completely unique faction for 2(?) Years. The Silver Jedi were borne from the people who left the Old GA faction back in like 2015. What is holding you back isn't your feelings of how much work you have done. What's holding you back is the fear of potentially losing all of that. You can legit write a story of the faction going minor, but still barely staying alive and attempting to rebuild under a new name.

Holding so much value on a website where if Tefka stopped making his payments, would all just vanish into thin air. The only thing you'd have is memories and whatever is saved in your clouds/computers. It's a website that you chose to spend this kind of time on, knowing it could be taken away without acknowledging that fact.

Factions will just be 2.0 versions. Nothing will change.
No, it forces people to have to remake whatever base they had. It could entirely fail if they can't support it, and it can create new stories where because of whatever ic reason for the map wipe, could shift how the faction works. Sure there would be attempts, but it's always going to happen that way. Those who want to do something new with the map wipe, will likely be the ones leading the charge with the major factions. As that is what happened last time.

It's just to wipe the map of the big players who have been there. It's toxic.
If they are a big faction that is still active, and can rebrand, or just chug along, then they can continue the stories they are playing. All it means is more chances for them to do more threads and get more activity. That is, if they are active. If they are pretty much dead in the water, then yes the faction will fall. It's a necessary evil of the map wipe.

Stating it's toxic and that it would ruin the faction climate, is just ignorance. Yes while some may have alterior motives for why they want it, the map game is mostly an OOC game, that is formatted to work in the IC environment. There are games where there is no map game, yet it's still toxic because of other factors. The map wipe isn't toxic. It's the people who play the map game.

You play into this game. You did the dominions, invasions and other threads. You could have opted out. Blaming it as toxic or being only for the benefit of smaller factions, shows you just don't want to lose what you got, because you don't want to interact with others.

Wipe the map. Now or later, I don't care. I can always write a new character, with a new story, and still have fun with a majority of writers here.

I have so much work I have done here though.
Yes, and so had a majority of people on the site along side you. Cantifex ran the Sith Empire for legit years, Tathra ran the Bryn, as a completely unique faction for 2(?) Years. The Silver Jedi were borne from the people who left the Old GA faction back in like 2015. What is holding you back isn't your feelings of how much work you have done. What's holding you back is the fear of potentially losing all of that. You can legit write a story of the faction going minor, but still barely staying alive and attempting to rebuild under a new name.

Holding so much value on a website where if Tefka stopped making his payments, would all just vanish into thin air. The only thing you'd have is memories and whatever is saved in your clouds/computers. It's a website that you chose to spend this kind of time on, knowing it could be taken away without acknowledging that fact.

Factions will just be 2.0 versions. Nothing will change.
No, it forces people to have to remake whatever base they had. It could entirely fail if they can't support it, and it can create new stories where because of whatever ic reason for the map wipe, could shift how the faction works. Sure there would be attempts, but it's always going to happen that way. Those who want to do something new with the map wipe, will likely be the ones leading the charge with the major factions. As that is what happened last time.

It's just to wipe the map of the big players who have been there. It's toxic.
If they are a big faction that is still active, and can rebrand, or just chug along, then they can continue the stories they are playing. All it means is more chances for them to do more threads and get more activity. That is, if they are active. If they are pretty much dead in the water, then yes the faction will fall. It's a necessary evil of the map wipe.

Stating it's toxic and that it would ruin the faction climate, is just ignorance. Yes while some may have alterior motives for why they want it, the map game is mostly an OOC game, that is formatted to work in the IC environment. There are games where there is no map game, yet it's still toxic because of other factors. The map wipe isn't toxic. It's the people who play the map game.

You play into this game. You did the dominions, invasions and other threads. You could have opted out. Blaming it as toxic or being only for the benefit of smaller factions, shows you just don't want to lose what you got, because you don't want to interact with others.

Wipe the map. Now or later, I don't care. I can always write a new character, with a new story, and still have fun with a majority of writers here.

i like yo moxie, a tad more aggressive than the conversation warrants, but I agree with the overall message.

I have no doubt people have ulterior motives but like, who cares. I’ve been surrounded by people pushing their agendas since day one, it never matters. The toxic types always end up having an empty feeling of “what now” even when the majority of the forum and my best advisors argue I threw them a bone. There’s never a plan, and people realize how very little those agendas matter in the end. Time ends up eroding most of it, and Staff kicks out the rest.

The real cake is what we decide to do as a community with the options in front of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom