Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Factory Denied FAE/SW-01 "Star Striker" Turbolaser

Status
Not open for further replies.
OUT OF CHARACTER INFORMATION
PRODUCTION INFORMATION
TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS
  • Classification: Anti-Ray Shield Light Turbolaser
  • Size: Large
  • Weight: Heavy
  • Ammunition Type: Tibanna Gas
  • Ammunition Capacity: Small
  • Effective Range: Battlefield
  • Rate of Fire: High
  • Stopping Power: High
  • Recoil: Average
SPECIAL FEATURES
STRENGTHS
  • Anti-Reflection: The bolts fired by the turbolaser are encased in a relatively weak electromagnetic field by design. While this prevents the bolts from maintaining integrity over [Extreme] ranges, it allows the bolts to immediately destabilize upon impact, yielding an explosion in the process that prevents reflection by Xythan Force and similar reactive shielding technologies.
  • Anti-Ray Shield: The energized plasma beams fired by the turbolaser possess a rare energy frequency, lending them the capability of bypassing ray shields. However, they can be intercepted by Molecular, Xythan Force, Arkanian, and Verpine shields.
  • High Energy Firepower: The power quotient of the Star Striker affords it consistent overkill potential against small craft, in addition to the capability to engage small corvettes and most ships below one hundred meters long with potentially devastating results. Against larger warships, it can be utilized to reliably challenge weak and/or unarmored sections of the hull.
WEAKNESSES
  • Shock Absorption: The FAE/SW-01’s shock absorption system is a critical component of the weapon, because of its role in absorbing the force of the turbolaser’s recoil. In the event that it sustains damage when mounted on a small craft, firing the weapon may damage the craft entirely, potentially triggering a deadly cascade of system failures.
  • Limited Traversal: When mounted on a small craft, such as the FAE/TIE Series “Ultra”, the turbolaser is essentially a fixed-forward weapon, only capable of executing minute horizontal adjustments to support the pattern harmonization system. In essence, the craft must be pointed at the target in order to successfully aim the weapon.
  • EMP/Ion Overload: EMP and Ion discharges with a large enough power quotient can overload the turbolaser’s systems and defenses, rendering it unable to fire for some time.
DESCRIPTION
Designed primarily to be mounted on the airframe of the FAE/TIE Series “Ultra”, the FAE/SW-01 “Star Striker” Turbolaser was conceived and manufactured by First United Astral Engineering in the company’s research facilities on the Scintilla. In practice, the turbolaser is designed as a high-powered void warfare sniping weapon, intended to fulfill a specific role of mobile fire support and direct fire artillery, though it can also be employed at closer ranges. The weapon can also be utilized as an emplacement on heavy vehicles, ground installations, larger starships, and stations, though it is optimized primarily for usage on the FAE/TIE Series “Ultra”.

In designing the Star Striker, the researchers studied ancient Imperial experiments into energy weapons that could bypass ray shielding. To achieve this outcome, the bolts fired by the turbolaser exist on an exotic energy frequency that allows it to bypass these barriers, in a manner not dissimilar to that of a
solar ionization weapon in that it is effective against conventional deflector shields, though via an entirely different process. However, like solar ionization weapons, this ability to bypass shields is largely ineffective against more exotic types of barriers, which have seen increasing usage in the modern battlespaces of the Chaos era.

Nevertheless, intended to facilitate the continued modernization and innovation of the starfighter fleet in the Armada of the Agents of Chaos, the Star Striker is hoped to be a keystone design in advancing starfighter tactics for the modern era.

Last edited:
We all fall in parallel
Hey there! I'll be working with you to get this approved.

One of the first issues I see is that you have specified the range as "Battlefield," but in the first listed strength, it describes the magnetic field that encapsulates the energy as follows:

• Anti-Reflection: The bolts fired by the turbolaser are encased in a relatively weak electromagnetic field by design. While this prevents the bolts from maintaining integrity over extreme ranges, it allows the bolts to immediately destabilize upon impact, yielding an explosion in the process that prevents reflection by Xythan Force and similar reactive shielding technologies.

I've highlighted the relevant issue in green. If this is the case, the weapon should most likely be rated lower to be used for closer ship to ship combat, as Battlefield infers this could strike effectively from a great distance.

Other than that:

Against larger warships, it can be utilized to frightening effect to reliably eliminate emplacements and other critical points.

If you could slightly alter this verbiage to reflect potentially eliminate, rather than reliably?

Beyond those two things, this submission looks fine.

Mellifluous Magenta Mellifluous Magenta

I edited the Anti-Reflection strength to more closely imply that I meant "Extreme" more in the context of the rating designation. Since the turbolaser has a "Battlefield" range listed, it naturally isn't effective at the aforementioned "Extreme" range.

I also edited the verbiage for the "Extreme Energy Delivery" strength.

I hope that clears things up. Thank you for taking this sub!

Takui Takui

We all fall in parallel
I would alter that verbiage slightly to reflect that the destabilization isn't quite so much of an issue, maybe something like "within x, but anything further and the energy would scatter." Because as it currently reads it seems almost a short range weapon.

One thing- since the Canon precedent for this type of thing is theoretical could you expound on the process in your description? Since it's unclear whether or not the Imperials finished the project or failed, this would be the pioneer weapon of its kind, so a bit more info would be ideal.

So ummm...basically the entire point of the submission is to put this on a starfighter...which is mentioned and linked to in the intent and in other sections of the article. I didn’t try to “sneak” anything if that is what the thought is because the exact starfighter in question is linked...right there in the submission.

So quite frankly, I’m not sure what you want me to do with this submission since mounting this on the fighter was essentially the entire point of writing it. This turbo laser and the TIE it is supposed to be mounted on were submitted within 20 minutes of each other.

Takui Takui

Takui Takui is correct, capital-grade wagons are not allowed on a star-fighter.

Extreme Energy Delivery: The extreme power quotient of the Star Striker affords it consistent overkill potential against small craft, in addition to the capability to engage corvettes, frigates, and small cruisers with potentially devastating results.

A fighter should not by its design be able to engage with capital ships alone, which this submission would allow.

While I understand that you were not trying to sneak this by, the weapon itself will not be allowed through in its current form. If you wish to modify it so that it is weaker, using the turbolaser tech to super-charge a laser cannon to make it hit harder without being a threat to capital ships that is a possibility with this submission, or to re-work it into a weapon for capital ships.

Change Log:
  • Rewrote "Extreme Energy Delivery" Strength, renamed as "High Energy Firepower".
  • Lowered Stopping Power to [Very High], lowered Recoil to [Average]
I may or may not have missed something but I think those are the two main edits I made for now.

John Locke John Locke Takui Takui

Mellifluous Magenta Mellifluous Magenta , I see that you've put a lot of work into this. Per the Factory Administrator's guidance on this explicitly not being an unusually potent threat threat to capital ships, I'd like to request an edit to this section:

in addition to the capability to engage small corvettes and most ships below one hundred meters long with potentially devastating results. Against larger warships, it can be utilized to frightening effect to reliably challenge the armor of emplacements and other critical points.

The highlighted words really stick out to me in light of his guidance, though this whole section may need axing or extensive rewriting - we should be clear here that this isn't likely to be any more effective against capital ships than a heavy laser cannon (or other readily available heavy starfighter gun type of weapon).

Mellifluous Magenta Mellifluous Magenta , per the guidance put out by the Factory Administrator above - this weapon, if designed as a weapon for a starfighter, cannot explicitly present as an unusually dangerous threat to capital ships.

This is not something either of us have a lot of room to negotiate on because of the Factory Admistrator's explicit guidance above.

If you are unwilling to meet the changes required by that guidance, this will be denied.

Change Log:
  • Lowered Stopping Power to [High] increased Rate of Fire to [High]
  • Edited "High Energy Firepower" Strength.
I won't lie this has been a pretty hostile experience. I understand that there are a lot of judges in training right now, but being ganged up on by four different judges who are all looking for any excuse to deny the submission, including one ( Krass Wyms Krass Wyms ) who has been liking posts behind the scenes, has made this all very stressful. It doesn't help when some judges are issuing orders while barely skimming the the submission and others are making threats.

Gir Quee Gir Quee

Last edited:
Mellifluous Magenta Mellifluous Magenta , I'm sorry that you've felt that this hasn't been a good experience - unfortunately, when we invest a lot of time in making our submissions, I know that we can get emotionally invested in them which I can understand can make the judging process difficult and stressful.

I understand that there are a lot of judges in training right now, but being ganged up on by four different judges who are all looking for any excuse to deny the submission, including one ( Krass Wyms Krass Wyms ) who has been liking posts behind the scenes, has made this all very stressful.

I would encourage you to privately message John Locke John Locke , myself, or Shuklaar Kyrdol Shuklaar Kyrdol about your concerns to see if we can resolve this and talk to the involved parties if need be. Keep in mind, Factory Judges do have the right to deny submissions if they feel the submission isn't adhering to Board/Factory rules or guidance provided by the Factory Administrator.

Change Log:
  • Lowered Stopping Power to [High] increased Rate of Fire to [High]
  • Edited "High Energy Firepower" Strength

The ratings were fine the way they were before, though its certainly your choice to alter them as you see fit so long as they are balanced. Wording looks acceptable now, so this is approved!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom