Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eyes Wide Open

"Well," Kaalia's answer sounded while getting back on her feet, "the first thing one has to have a good grasp on is basic manipulation. It forms the basis for everything you do when shaping." She released the grasp she had on the chunk of ice, causing it to fall down onto the ground before beginning to slowly roll towards the pond it orignally came from. "This is also what sets all of the elements apart- they are manipulated in different ways, even if it comes down to the same principle. For water shaping, the old masters often drew comparisons to calligraphy. The Force is the pen, the water is the ink, and you are the artist." With a gesture of her hand she invited Taeli to turn to face the pond.

To provide one more example before it was Taeli's turn, Kaalia began to move her arms and the water in the pond answered. Ropes of water rose up to follow the woman's motions. "From thin lines," she said before putting more power behind it, "to broad, sweeping strokes." The ropes became thicker and larger, then they slowly died down and retreated back into the body of water. "Normally, a student would be taught how to properly wield the Force first, but that is a step we can skip. Holding the pen properly won't be an issue for you, so we can immediately start with dipping it into the ink and create."

Kaalia then took a step backwards, giving Taeli room. "Reach out into the Force and focus on the water. Imbue it with power and then bend it to your will."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

[member="Kaalia Pavanos"]

Taeli hung on every word as Kaalia explained how exactly it worked and then demonstrated what she meant. In her mind, she could see it was all about the ebb and flow of the movements. There was a gracefulness to it all, a beauty as the water moved through the air and then back into the pond. Nodding as it became clear it was her turn to try and manipulate the water, she took a deep breath and focused her power onto the water. Thinking of the Force as though she were writing, she started the pull the water out of the pond.

It wasn't nearly as much as Kaalia had commanded, but then in this regard, Taeli was the neophyte and Kaalia the master. It was to be expected that she would not be on such a skill level yet, but oh she would be in time. She was already determined that the practice with water would become of her morning routine.

Commanding the small amount of water she called forth, she focused on using it to just gracefully move through the air, almost as though she was writing her name or some such. She couldn't help the smile on her face.

Kaalia stood with her hands behind her back as she watched, with a hint of a smile breaking through after the water began to move. There was something incredibly satisfying in watching Taeli shape- the technique carried emotional value with it and being able to pass it on to others just felt right somehow. This was a step forward towards breaking through the barriers containing shaping to Kro Var and introducing it to the rest of the galaxy properly. Perhaps she was the only one of Kro Varian descent who would both be able to and support such a thing and that placed a burden on her shoulders. The woman took pride in her shaping abilities, and teaching it was just as much of a part of that as her own prowess.

"It's quite the sight, isn't it?" Kaalia stepped back forward to stand side to side with Taeli, nodding in appreciation. "And this is only scratching the surface of water shaping, while there are three more elements to be explored beyond that." There was so much more she could show her, but it would all be in due time. For now, she would keep her mind fixed on the lessons of today. "I suppose I should have considered the fact you were likely to pick up on things quite quickly, though. Being used to... less-experienced students I will have to shift up a few gears." Teaching someone like her fellow Sith Lady was refreshing in a way, though. She would understand things much quicker, allowing her to teach much more efficiently.

Turning her head sideways, Kaalia shifted her gaze towards Taeli with a bit of an inquisitive face. "So, I suggest we do things a bit differently from how I normally do it. How would you like me to help you grasp the intricacies of water shaping over time?"

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"I've always been a quick study, but it helps that I've had training with the Fallanassi," Taeli responded, letting the water just flow around her for a moment. "They believe the Force is an ocean with currents, so it helps me understand how the water should flow when under the command of the Force."

It certainly helped Taeli was a voracious student when it came to knowledge, and she had spent years while she had been masquerading as a Jedi traveling the galaxy to learn from different sects. Baren Do on Kel Dor, the Fallanassi on... well she had promised not to reveal their current home and she wasn't about to break it, the Theran Listeners on Nam Chorios. She didn't say she wasn't sure about the other elements. Air was likely similar, but fire and earth shaping? Very likely opposites.

"I'm unsure as we are both rather busy," Taeli said, tapping her chin in thought. "Lessons when we can of course, but would there be reading material I can consult on my own time to practice?"

"I have to say that I admire your drive to learn. It definitely makes teaching more enjoyable, too." And, even though she wouldn't say such a thing out loud, she also liked the fact Taeli learned quickly for another reason. It meant she would be able to go home much quicker than she had anticipated, which meant she could spend more time with her wife. The stay at Stormvale manor had been nothing but pleasant, but there was something about the place one called home nothing else had. Time had never before refused to stop ticking for only a single second, so every moment she got to spend with Ishana was treasured and savored.

Taeli was accurate in her statement pointing out the limited amount of time was available to them to meet for the purpose of teaching, however. Luckily, her request was something Kaalia could fulfil, even if what she would be able to share wasn't entirely completed yet. "Actually, I may just have the thing. I don't have it with me, but I have been working on a book about shaping whenever I have the time for it. I am using my own knowledge and older literature as my sources, but it is still a work in progress." Progress had been slow, but steady. "How about this- I share work I have done on it so far with you, and in return you give me some pointers to make it a smoother read. The chapters on fire and water shaping are as good as done, so that should keep you occupied for long enough until I finish the other chapters. I hope, at least." A small chuckle followed, manifesting the woman's amusement over the likelihood Taeli would learn everything from the book before she even finished it.

"And of course, we can plan more lessons when you feel you need them."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"That sounds like a deal to me," Taeli replied, smiling. "I'd be perfectly happy to edit your book as it comes along, and getting to study what is in it certainly helps me."

And while she didn't know that Kaalia had jokingly thought Taeli would devour every scrap of information in her book before it was even done, that... was not an exaggeration in the slightest. She would read, internalize, memorize, and perfect every little thing she found interesting within the pages she received. Fiolette had joked that if she left Taeli alone in a bookstore, physical or holographic, she would come back to the owner watching a woman read four different books at the same time, with three piles around her for what to read next.

"And I thank you for the offer for additional lessons when time permits for us," she said, her smile broadening. "I'll certainly be reaching out for further instruction I think, perhaps during the time leading up to Life Day, I mean Sithmas. The Emperor has hinted at a small halt in our expansion for the holidays."

"Good to hear. I could definitely use the input, it's a first for me so there's a lot that could probably be improved on." When it came to literature, Kaalia couldn't even think of a single name with more expertise than Taeli. If the slightest bit wasn't right, there was no doubt she would pick it out. Having her help out was going to be invaluable. There was too little material on shaping available to those who would be interested in it and Kaalia was determined to change this. The book was a first step in doing so.

The two both had their busy schedules, that much was for certain, so it would be a little while before they could set aside a date and time for more teaching. Sithmas was still some ways away, but it seemed to be their best bet to plan it near then. "I will make sure to keep a spot open, then," Kaalia responded, nodding just slightly. "I think we all could use a break from the expansion efforts and revitalize ourselves. There is still much to be done, we can't stagnate, but everyone needs time for themselves every once in a while."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom