Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eyes Wide Open

"Then your sources have been accurate," Kaalia replied matter-of-factly, "as I'm sure you have been able to see from my own memories." It was interesting to know Taeli had already heard quite a bit about the Ren, although it did not surprise her too much. There was no doubt she had her ways, considering the wealth of knowledge from all across the galaxy she had access to. "And what is more accurate than the direct perspective of someone who experienced it first-hand?" In a way, the woman was disappointed in herself. Even after [member='Darth Ferus'] had introduced her to the Sith and taken her in, she didn't dtop clinging onto the Ren and the people within the order. She had cared about people who only cared about her because of the title she carried, and had she not been excommunicated she likely still would've been there. She wasn't the same person any longer, but it was a lesson she would've liked to have learned much earlier.

In the end, she truly had been lucky. A nod was sent Taeli's way in response. "You are expected to curb your power, for nobody is allowed to ever be as powerful as their leader. That is why they remain weak, why so many before and after me have defected. As long as they are made to follow, worship, and sacrifice themselves without question, they will ever remain stagnant." It all went against the beliefs all Sith carried- Every generation was supposed to overcome and overshadow the one that came before them, because that was how power was preserved. "I held onto something unsustainable. I am glad I let go."

Kaalia's attention was then drawn to the geode, which she eyed for a moment before picking it up. "Thank you," she said as it disappeared into her fist. "In a way, this is also part of my history. And like you said, who knows when it could be useful. That brings us to the next thing on the agenda, though. Repaying the favor."

The woman got out of her seat to stretch. The process of unlocking her memories had taken its time, after all. "I think we both could use some rest, but I am not leaving Bastion just yet. I could teach you the basics of shaping over the course of the next few days, if that is convenient for you. That way you have the tools necessary to practice and hone your skill."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

[member="Kaalia Pavanos"]

"Yes, the experience of mnemotherapy can be very taxing," Taeli replied with a wan smile. She was feeling the effects now of such prolonged access to the memories, unblocking them, and then projecting them into the geode. She could use a nap, and probably a meal. Especially before Kaalia held up her end of the deal and began showing Taeli the shaping techniques of Kro Var. Now that definitely got her excited. The prospect of learning something new always did.

"That sounds perfect, Kaalia," she continued saying. "I'll be on Bastion for a few days myself before departing for the Kanz Sector. If you want, of course, you are free to stay here during that time. We have plenty of space, and the staff would be more than accommodating. The choice is yours, of course."

The invitation was quite the tempting one. Although Kaalia had purchased a small apartment some time ago for whenever she had to stay on Bastion for multiple days, staying on the estate ground would make things much more convenient concerning the teaching of Shaping to Taeli. Besides, she had far from a hard time believing there was enough room available. "I will gladly take you up on that offer," she responded with a grateful nod, "I have nowhere else to be in particular anyway." As long as she was able to have some private time to holo Ishana, which she doubted would be an issue, there was no reason to object. "Thank you for the hospitality."

The woman wondered if an alliance could be forged between the two. It was always a good thing to have connections, and someone the likes of Taeli would be a powerful ally. As long as both sides stood something to gain from it, Kaalia saw no reason to be against such a thing. Taeli in particular also seemed much more friendly than others among the higher ranks of the Empire. Of course the possibility of that simply being an act was always present, especially considering her work within the Galact Alliance, but as long as there was no reason for one to turn on the other that was of little consequence. Their goals didn't conflict, but rather even coincide in regards to the Empire. Perhaps things would come over time.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"Excellent, then consider my home open to you," Taeli said, smiling at Kaalia. The redhead across from her was not the only one considering an alliance between them. Having seen her memories, Taeli had been impressed with her resolve to evolve, to grow. Defiance embodied essentially. She might not be as high up in the rankings of the Sith Empire as Taeli, but she had something far more valuable to the Lady of Secrets. The woman across from her had been an apprentice of Krest's and had assumed his old position if memory recalled.

"Rose," Taeli called and her personal maid reentered the study. "Please take Lady Avacyn to the guest chambers. She may have any she might desire while she remains with us. And please inform Mister Carrington of the changes to schedule."

"Of course, my Lady. Lady Avacyn, if you would follow me," the maid said, bowing her head respectfully to the redhead Sith.

Kaalia gave Taeli a small bow, then chuckled just slightly. "I will make sure not to be too much of nuisance." There was a bit of tongue-in-cheekness embedded in the statement, although she definitely wasn't looking to be anything less than a good guest. "We shall get started in the morning. I will see you then, for now I will see to a good night's rest." It was some rest the woman was most definitely looking forward to. Not just to regain her energy, but also to let everything sink in while she slept off her fatigue.

She then turned her attention to Rose, who had been summoned to the study to lead her to the guest chambers. She gave her a small nod in greeting before closing a small bit of the distance between them. "I shall be right behind you. Rose, was it?" With that Kaalia followed Rose out of the study and through the large hallways of the manor. Perhaps she hadn't counted on staying here for more than a day, but considering the comment that she could have anything she desired meant that wasn't going to be much of an issue.

Eventually the two arrived at where Kaalia would be staying and when the door swayed open she was quite certain she could get used to it. After walking towards a desk that was placed in the room she set down the geode she carried, then took out a holodevice and placed it down as well, but this one a bit more carefully to make sure it was properly positioned. "Oh, and before you go, Rose," she then said, "Could I have a glass of water? My throat is a bit parched."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"Of course, Lady Avacyn," Rose said, curtsying to the Sith Lady. "I shall return momentarily."

Rose would make her way down to the kitchens to retrieve the water for Kaalia, while also stopping to inform Mister Carrington of the extended stay of their guest. The head butler of the house would take it in stride, shifting the schedule around. Daintily, Rose returned upstairs to the guest chambers, carrying a tray with a glass and a pitcher of water in case the Lady would require further refreshment than just a glass. Knocking politely, she came in and set the tray on the small table inside the guest room.

"If your Ladyship requires anything further, there is a small intercom system here connected to the staff quarters and Mister Carrington's office," she said, indicating the small electronic panel on the wall. "It also controls the climate in the room and ambient sound can be chosen or silenced, as Lady Raaf specified."

Curtsying again, Rose would leave to attend to the needs of her Master.

When Rose returned to the guest room to bring Kaalia the water she had asked for, even in a larger quantity than the had originally asked for, it seemed she was waiting to do whatever she had been planning to do with the holodevice that had been set up. Turning towards the door first, her eyes tracked the maid and when the tray was set down, the woman nodded in appreciation. "Much obliged," sounded her rather short response to the service, both in a wish to not hold her up for too long and a wish to get to what she wanted to do. "I doubt I will need much more, but thank you for informing me."

The moment Kaalia was once again in solitude, the room suddenly became bathed in a blue hue, a result of the holodevice springing to life. Like she had done it a million times, she knew exactly where in the list of contacts she needed to be. A few buttons were pressed and a few moments later another woman appeared. The redhead instinctively smiled at the sight. "Hey, miala. How was your day?"

It was early in the morning when Kaalia's eyes opened, yet as always she had difficulty truly waking up. A promise had been made, however, and so it had to be kept. As such she forced herself to get out of bed. It was quite comfortable, it had to be admitted, but the woman wasn't much interested in keeping Taeli waiting for all too long. On her bare feet she walked over to the intercom to select one of the ambient sounds while grabbing her clothes along the way. The sound of an ocean breeze filled the room before using the system to contact the staff quarters. "Good morning. I would like a cup of caf, please and thank you." Afterwards, she moved back towards the bed to get dressed. She sat down, yawned and stretched, and then began doing so.

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Taeli could understand the need for wanting to stay in bed. This would be surprising to any other Sith that knew her, in fact, only the staff and Fiolette knew it but... she was not a morning person. A habit of staying up late reading or running a late experiment had resulted in a less than dignified appearance in the mornings. So even as Kaalia placed her order with the staff for some caf to be brought to her, Taeli was grumbling and attempting to slide out from under her covers. She hated not sleeping next to Fiolette now, but she was off on assignment.

"My Lady, the Lady Avacyn is awake," a voice on the other side of her chambers' door called.

"Inform her I will meet her in the gardens," she said. "And please set up a breakfast for myself and her to enjoy there, if she feels like partaking."

"At once, my Lady."

Rousing herself from the bed, hair dishevelled and blinking away sleep still, she padded over to the bathroom and freshened herself up. A few minutes later, she would emerge from her chambers completely put together in a long flowing dark blue and purple dress and robes, the hood pulled down for now. Once Kaalia herself was sufficiently ready, a servant would lead her out into the gardens and to the pond on the property where Taeli would be sitting, book from the previous night floating in front of her and her breakfast on a small table.

By the time the caf had arrived, Kaalia had finished getting dressed so the servant did not have to wait for her to be done with that. As the servant entered the room she was typing up a message to Ishana to wish her a good morning, but quickly finished it and put the device away when the door opened. She stood up from the bedside and accepted the cup, finding the aroma almost too irresistable to keep herself from immediately taking a sip. With how difficult it was for her to get good sleep away from home, caf was almost a necessity during mornings where that was the case. As luxurious as the accomodation was, there was something about the Silver Ridge estate that couldn't be replicated. Or, perhaps it was just Ishana.

After being informed that breakfast was going to be held in the gardens, Kaalia saw no reason to keep Taeli waiting and wasted little time asking the servant to lead her there. Along the way she took a number of small sips of her caf, but ceased doing so by the time the hostess came into view. She wore the same attire from the day before, as she had not originally planned on staying here for longer than a day. For the following days she would make sure to have clean clothing with her but for now she had to make do.

"Good morning," Kaalia said as she went to take a seat, taking a curious glance as the cover of the book Taeli was reading before looked around her. The garden was quite the backdrop, and she could understand why she was invited to have breakfast here. "What are you reading, if I may ask?" Whether it was to study or to pass the time with a good story, a book rarely disappointed. The woman hadn't had much time to read lately, but she presumed she simply would have to make time to make it a habit. "You could say I am looking for recommendations."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"Oh nothing too important," Taeli said, looking up from the floating book as her guest arrived. "Just a monograph about the Yuuzhan Vong War that I procured from a bookshop on Coruscant. I've been studying some of the more interesting Vong lifeforms for experiments in replicating them, in some way, as Sithspawn. One thing led to another, and now I'm five books into the series. Sometimes I just can't help myself."

The last was added with a laugh as she had the book float gently over to rest on the small table next to her.

"I do hope you are hungry," she said, giving a small smile as the servants brought trays of food out to them, laying them out for the two Sith Ladies to sample. "Breakfast is honestly my favorite meal of the day, sets the tone off right I've found. I suppose after we are done, you get to be the master and I the student hmm?"

"I can come up with worse ways to pass the time," Kaalia responded, thinking back to the filled bookshelf in the chamber she, for lack of a better term, inherited after Krest's death. Perhaps bringing some of them home to Dromund Kaas to read in her spare time was something she could do. "When it comes to the Yuuzhan Vong or the creation of Sithspawn however, I can't say I know much of anything. Going for another topic might be a better idea, if I want to understand anything of it." She was more interested in self-growth, rather than focussing her efforts on other beings, whether it was to create them or augment them.

When the trays of food were delivered, however, Kaalia felt her stomach rumble in anticipation. "You could definitely say that. Although I have skipped out on lunch my fair share of times, breakfast is near holy. I doubt I could function without it." The woman took a moment to look over all the choices that had been presented to them, but decided to wait for the host to pick something out first before doing so herself.

But, of course, the reason she was here was what would follow after breakfast. "I am actually quite looking forward to it. It has been a long time since I have taught another the art of shaping, and never to someone without previous experience." She already knew how to start of the lesson, though. "The first thing we will have to do is find out what element you have the greatest affinity for. Every element is manipulated differently, but experience with one most definitely helps with learning the other three."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Taeli would help herself to some toast, fried in the Tionese way, with syrup dripped over it. She was partial to it in particular, but she only ever ordered it made once in a blue moon. On the side, she placed her juice and a small bowl of fruit.

"I imagine there is some sort of test or some such to determine what element I would have an affinity for?" she asked in between bites. "I'm also hazarding a guess that it also has something to do with the person's personality?"

She had some experience in manipulating ice through cryokinesis, but that was not shaping as much as someone might say it was. All she was doing was robbing the particles of something of their movement, slowing them down and draining their energy away to form ice and hypothermia. But this, what she was going to be starting to learn was something else altogether. And she didn't even have to travel to Kro Var for the lessons, which might made it all the more easy for her and Kaalia.

Despite the fact breakfast was important to Kaalia, she tended to keep it light on the stomach. The habit had been in her system for as long as she could remember, even the times before those that had been altered before Taeli's efforts to restore them to once again reflect reality. A few moments passed while she cast a glance over the plates until her choice settled on a few pieces of fruit that had been able to feed her appetite most. They were carefully picked up and placed down before her, then took one of the smaller pieces into her hand and took a bite. In the meantime Taeli asked a pair of questions to which she first only responded with a nod, although it was easy to figure out the full answer would follow once her mouth was empty.

"There is indeed a test, used by the Kro Varians since ancient times. According to legend, shaping was a gift from a guardian diety, depicted most often as an angel. As the first to show the shaping abilities to the people as well as this test, she used a technique using all four elements to reveal the one taking it resonated with most. It is highly doubtful the story is grounded in reality, but the test very much is." The woman had been learning as much about the history of Kro Var as she could find from the moment she had learned of it being where her roots were. Now that her parents had become a part of her life relatively recently, two natives who had lived there their entire lives until the fall of the Galactic Alliance, they had more than eager to share a wealth of myths, history and so much more that had previously been unavailable to her. "A master shaper is required to set it up, although I have read that it may be possible with four shapers specialized in the four elements amongst themselves."

Kaalia put the rest of the small piece of fruit in her mouth, letting a short moment of silence fall while she ate. After swallowing, she continued. "It is used to this day, actually. My father took the test when he was young, he was an earth shaper first and foremost. I have to admit that I have never actually seen it with my own eyes, though. I did not take it myself and have never tested another. You will be the first." It wasn't something that could be practiced beforehand. It required a master shaper and a being sensitive to the Force, yet uninitiated in the art of shaping. "Fortunately, it is quite straightforward, so that won't be an issue."

The next piece of fruit was up. Kaalia occupied herself with peeling the skin off to be able to eat what was hidden underneath, while she moved on to the second question. "But to answer your second question, it's definitely possible one's personality is important. All I have to go on at the moment though is my father explaining that to me and his own personality. Hardly enough of a sample size to say it's absolutely true, but I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if it was."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

As to be expected, even the tiny tidbit offered by Kaalia's explanation to Taeli's questions was absorbed by the Lady of Secrets, placed within her own mental library. She had not had a chance to learn as much about the culture of the Kro Var people, but Kaalia would be an endless font of information in some ways about it. An angel like entity? Could it possibly have been the Daughter of the Mortis gods? It would not be outlandish to believe as both she and the Son had gone to worlds, offering to teach the natives how to harness their gifts and powers granted by the Force.

Regardless, she was fascinated by the story and the personal details offered about her family. Perhaps, once she had the chance and her duties to the Sith Empire relented for a moment, she might travel to Kro Var to study the culture more for herself. At the very least, she could get a few books on the subject for her libraries.

"I feel honored I'm the first you'll be testing," Taeli said, proceeding to cut up a piece of her breakfast and popping it into her mouth.

"And I feel honored I get to do it."

Although Kaalia practiced the techniques conceived by its people, taught herself as much as she could of the culture and the language, and ever since fully reconnecting with her parents often asked them about how life was like there, the Kro Varian blood that ran through her veins was sometimes nothing but a cause of heartache. She didn't grow up on the planet and for many years didn't even know her heritage or even her family despite being born there, but even now it simply couldn't be her home. She would be seen as a heretic and branded as an enemy of all 'true' shapers. The realization was painful every single time, but one day there would be change, and it would be her doing.

"It's one of the few ways I am able to connect with my roots and that is important to me. Even if teaching a non-Kro Varian, one that uses non-shaping Force techniques no less, is considered heresy." There was a bit of a chuckle following the statement, knowing all too well how archaic such a view was. With her piece of fruit peeled, the woman bit into it.

For a few minutes Kaalia simply enjoyed the various pieces of fruit, until she had decided she had eaten enough for the morning. Her arms shot upwards while remaining seated, stretching them by first leaning her torso towards the right before angling it towards the left. Until Taeli finished her own breakfast there was little for her to do but simply enjoy the sights around her, which were more than enough to keep herself occupied for a little while. When the time came around, she would get up from her seat and point towards a patch of grass nearby a pond.

"That would be a good spot to test you. I can create the fire myself, the wind is always there, the pond has water of course... I don't want to upheave part of your garden, though. I need something like dirt, or stone."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

She could certainly understand the sentiments of wanting to reconnect with one's roots. As an adopted child, and an orphan now at that, Taeli had spent a significant amount of time and resources trying to learn as much as she could about her birth parents. She might not be welcome on Corellia as a Sith, but she had done several things covertly to help the planet recover and honor the deceased Raafs. Even then, she still felt more of a connection to her adopted homeworld of Lorrd, but that was only because she had been raised there.

They wouldn't have to wait long until Taeli finished her meal, daintily dabbing at her lips with a napkin. Delicious as always.

"Oh don't worry about upending some of the ground around the pond," Taeli said as they began walking over towards the spot Kaalia had indicated. "Fiolette wants to expand the pond a little bit more, put in a water feature or some such. We'll just consider it as getting the project started a little early."

The comment solicited a modest bit of laughter from Kaalia, which was accompanied by the shrugging of her shoulders. That made things much easier. "I never thought I'd be a landscaper one day, but life is full of surprises." She would only need a small amount, but with a garden as carefully maintained as this one it almost felt like a crime to disturb anything. Of course, with the plans to expand the pond that wasn't an issue any longer. "It will only be a small area that's going to be upended, though. Don't call off the diggers." When they arrvied at the spot right next to the pond, she took a quick moment to admire the stillness of the water. "Oh, and please give admiral Yvarro my regards. I have never worked with or under her, but even back under the First Order I regularly heard of her accomplishments." She had much respect for the admiral, both as a naval tactician and a shipwright.

Kaalia then turned towards Taeli. "In any case, we've got a test to do." She went to sit down onto the grass in a meditative position, then gestured Taeli to follow her example. "In front of me." After both were sitting the woman nodded and began drawing the Force towards herself. "Concentrate on the Force. I am going to use shaping to manipulate all four elements and suspend them inbetween us. Then, let your instinct pull one of them towards you." After saying that, she began. First, small motes of flame appeared in her hands. Carefully and without her moving herself they floated upwards and merged into one ball of flame that then took its position. Next to it a pocket of air seemed to form in the shape of a sphere, and in that small pocket the wind was much stronger than anywhere else around them. A small amount of the water from the pond then lifted upwards and moved to take its position, followed by a bit of the ground next to them that seemingly upended itself to join the three other manifestations of the elements.

"Let the Force and your instincts do the work."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"I'll be sure to pass along the message to Fiolette," Taeli replied as they settled at the edge of the pond. She was very curious what form this test would take but did as she was asked and settled into a meditative state. Drawing on the Force, pulling it towards her and through her, she submerged herself into the currents of the Force around her. While she kept her eyes closed, she could feel Kaalia drawing on the Force summoning the elements for the test. It was... odd, a much different pattern in the currents around her than she had ever felt before.

Listening to Kaalia's instructions, she drew on the Force, and trusted what her instincts guided her towards. It was not going to be fire, that much she knew without a doubt. She might have a bit of a temper if something went wrong, or if someone called her a Rent-a-Ren, but otherwise, she did not have a fiery personality. Earth was a possibility, but she was not exactly someone who was implacable. She was always adapting, always pushing boundaries. Air and water, at least in her mind, were the two likely options the Force would guide her towards.

When she opened her eyes, the water was floating around her, flowing around like a system of worlds around a star.

"Guess that answers that question," she said, looking at the water with curiosity.

Even when shaping only small amounts of an element, doing so with all four at the same time took great concentration. To make it easy for herself Kaalia did what she had been taught to do at a young age- shutting out the world around her but the things that mattered. In this case it was the woman sitting in front of her, and the four small representations of the elements that hovered inbetween them. For some time the picture that was drawn in the Force remained undisturbed, until she felt Taeli's presence gently pulling at the floating sphere of water. In response, the redhead relieved her own grasp on it and it started moving towards Taeli, eventually floating around her. "Indeed it does. Unfortunately however, as I am a fire shaper, Kro Varian preconceptions dictate I hate your guts." Her words were quite obviously tongue-in-cheek, which was compounded by the grin she couldn't hide.

"So, water shaping is what we'll start off with then," Kaalia then continued as she released her incorporeal grip on the remaining three representations of elements. While the pocket of strong wind and the flame simply dissipated, the small chunk of dirt simply came crashing down to the ground between them. "It is an element that can be surprisingly versatile, although unlike air or fire you cannot simply summon it on a whim. Still, with creative thinking it can do more than any of the other elements. Say, force a drink down someone's windpipe instead of their esophagus and make them choke on it." Whether Taeli had seen her memories beyond those from her time with the First Order Kaalia did not know, but even without having seen those it was quite clear she spoke from experience. "Or less lethal things, of course. With practice, you will even be able to turn it into ice." A subtle movement of her left hand later, the water that floated around Taeli froze to become one solid chunk of ice.

"But, of course, we will start with the basics."

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

"A good thing such preconceptions are best left in the distant past," Taeli laughed. She was enjoying watching the water float near her, responding to her through the Force. She drank in what Kaalia said, processing it and storing it away within her mind. Oh, she had found something she disagreed with on Kaalia's statement that water couldn't be conjured on a whim. After all, the very air they breathed had water vapor within it and of course... many organic beings had their bodies mostly made of water. The grass and trees around them would have it too.

No... no, water was there. One just had to know where it was.

The water froze to ice at Kaalia's command and Taeli wondered about that. She had learned and mastered Sith cryokinesis, but that ability was more about stealing the heat and movement away from the molecules of something. Kaalia hadn't done that. How very very intriguing.

"So what is first?" Taeli asked, her excitement at learning something new rearing its head. She couldn't help it. She was a curious and voracious student, always had been always would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom