Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Codex Draelvasier Information System

Hiya, recently wrote up a submission for the Bryn'adul faction to utilize. Decided that it would probably go best into the Lore submissions, but I noted that it didn't inherently fit any of the templates provided there. Where would I go about placing this lore/what template should I utilize for it?

The methods by which information is inscribed have been referenced Here. This essentially just covers more organizational information for how knowledge is spread among the many Bryn'adul worlds and deals with the widespread use of the memory/info sharing. Any help about where to put this would be appreciated.

The method by which the Draelvasier race manages to communicate over vast distances may vary depending on available resources. Whether by transmitting signals across the stars to one another utilizing vast arrays, or whether dispatching a courier, the information will inevitably end its journey by being encoded into one of the many artifacts utilized for much of the race's information.

While these artifacts allow for the almost instantaneous perusal of material, there is still a great deal of artisanship and work which goes into preparing them for the general population. The artifacts are usually capable of providing enough information to fully cover a topic unless it is particularly extensive, but the information encoded within must be done so by an adequately-trained force sensitive or else it risks either corruption -- it will be unable to be understood -- or else it will lead to a great deal of confusion and detriment for its reader.

Upon receiving information, the inscriber must meditate on what they have learned, and imprint these memories directly into the artifact utilizing specialized tools which themselves have been imbued with the Force. Any breach in concentration could lead to unpleasant or unnecessary memories being attached to the artifact -- as they transfer directly from the scribe through the tool and onto the device -- and thus eliminate much of the efficiency of the finished product. While all members of the Draelvasier race are capable of reading and of interacting with these tools, it is a necessary step of the creation process for a professional to organize and prepare more extensive or complex memories that will be used by the general populace.

In the event of failure to properly organize these memories, they may come out jumbled and completely out-of-step. For instance, an encoded artifact that would normally grant its user knowledge of the inner-workings and maintenance of a Spiker rifle may transmit memory of the rifle already being disassembled as opposed to showcasing how the machine would need to be taken apart. While such "reading" is instantaneous for its reader, then, a substantial amount of time must be spent carefully collecting facts and impressing them into the device.

News about events taking place throughout the dominion of the Bryn'adul also requires this same level of coordination and effort. Without it, tactical analysis by an Emissary for multiple battles may be accidentally condensed into a single analysis and thus confuse any forces who might've reinforced them. Due to the important nature of many of these artifacts, and the importance of clarity in their message, it is somewhat rare to see less than critical knowledge encoded by any professional scribe.

So things like this never seem to fit in a particular category in the Codex. I believe Lore is the best place you'd find to put it, short of making a blog going into deeper detail on it. If i were you i'd consider using a media template? Perhaps that would work well.

Osam Osam

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
Osam Osam reading over what you have written it seems to be intending to expand on the current submission you linked.

Is that a correct conjecture? I have some thoughts if that is the case. If I’m misunderstanding let me know too haha!

Osam Osam

It really does depend on what you want this submission to be.

Just a few notes:

1.) Blogs/Articles should NOT be used in this instance. More information on why not can be found here.

2.) Your gut is telling you true. Lore would be the correct section, however, you can do it in a variety of ways.
  • Media - Choices for the format of the submission can include (but are not limited to): Book, Holobooks, Hologram Recordings, Magazines, Movies, Audio Recordings, Albums, Podcasts, etc.
  • Holocron/Datacron - This option may actually make more sense given that the submission it was based on was submitted in a Holocron format. You could make a Holocron/Datacron to follow up on the initial version. Think of it as a sort of "expansion" pack or getting a little DLC with more information.
3.) You also have the alternative of speaking to the person who made the initial submission ( Tathra Khaeus Tathra Khaeus ) and see if he might want to work with you on perhaps getting this new content added. Joint projects between faction members are far from uncommon and can really spice things up. Keep in mind that the original author is free to decline, however, it is an option available to you.

Please feel free to follow up here or PM if you have any questions or concerns.

Adron Malvern Adron Malvern
I'd been considering the Media section, but it looked like it was directed more towards items of Media instead of methods to convey Media.

Judah Lesan Judah Lesan
Sort of. It's meant to expand on the methods that the Draelvasier use artifacts like the one referenced in day-to-day activities and life. Since they don't use a great deal of "technology", they presumably have their own methods for getting information sent to others.

Srina Talon Srina Talon
Definitely may look into the Holo/Datacron situation then. Would it be possible to submit a Holocron which serves as a "broad" submission for different generally menial information? For example, I know that certain Holocrons are submitted that list out a number of advanced force techniques, and carry either canonical or canon+ creators, and so I understand the need for them to be very specific. The users for most of these devices wouldn't be force sensitive, however, and the knowledge inside would effectively be items of culture, history, military theory, and strategies -- things of interest and use to the race along with some information on the use of mundane military equipment.

Think "how-to" guides, but fancy.

For what it counts, I have complete permission from Tathra to work on the project, and they're well aware of what I'm doing (in fact, this was my assignment in our group meeting). Nevertheless, I believe it was both our intentions for this to be a separate submission from the one referenced which was for a single item. Again, we were looking for the establishment of lore that clarified that these types of devices would be broadly used among the Draelvasier and would replace things like the Holonet, books, films, etc.

Osam Osam

The media template an be converted to anything you need it to be in this regard. Even if it's a non-conventional platform. You can add any field to make it work, however, you just can't remove any. That's why it states:

Choices for the format of the submission can include (but are not limited to): Book, Holobooks, Hologram Recordings, Magazines, Movies, Audio Recordings, Albums, Podcasts, etc.

The important part you need is "not limited to" in this case. You could literally make it a set of stone tablets or write n on a pile of leaves that describe the method of communication while both being the method of transmission and the item of transmission.

The original submission worked well with a Holocron so it's reasonable to think this would too. There's nothing in the Holocron template that states you need to fill it out as you've mentioned above. When it comes to submitting content for the Holocron itself - This is what it has:

CONTENT INFORMATION
[ Describe the knowledge this artifact contains. From force powers to ancient history no longer accessible to the common masses.The more powerful the artifact is, the more in-depth the Historical Information below should be. ]

Take note that it does mention history as well. And the history of "how" they communicate or a how to guide could easily fit here. Many holocrons are basically instruction manuals.

So - Either one of these will need to suffice. The Bryn have it tough because they don't have the same technology, however, you can still sub things just as Tathra has before. It still works with a little tweaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom