Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark Matter

Honestly, Kaile would have preferred a normal sonic refresher over a water one. However, with the Solaris as high-end as it is, having a water refresher shouldn't have been a surprise. It was limited of course, with recycled water that would purify and ensure that it would cycle through with a clean, refreshing scent. But it wasn't the same. The high-end life that Asmus, as well as the Eriadian merchant nobility, were used to was not the Lorrdian style.

Nonetheless, she couldn't ignore that the heat of the water rolling over her face and body allowed her mind to go blank. Eyes shut, and she would breathe in and out of her mouth—the lenses she had on had been removed. The blonde hair would be gone soon, switched to another color to match the new identity she'd take.

Quietly, under the deafening sound of the shower, Kaile thought about the next steps she would have to take. What would be the best route, and how to do it.

Part of her already knew that Asmus would object if she told him that she intended to leave him at Surabi and implant him in a safe house. It would be better for him. From there, he could go to the Kathol Outback, get lost, and pick up a pilot job. It wouldn't be far off from what he was used to doing - granted, not for a large Incom corporation as before. But it was something he would be used to. Prefer perhaps. He was already feeling lost and overwhelmed. Nothing drove that home as much as how the pilot sat on the bed with that helpless expression on his face.

Part of her wanted to see if it would be best to contact his uncle for him. At the same time, Kaile recognized that would only bring someone else at risk. In her mind, she gave a curse. Why did he join the SIS? Why this? Why couldn't he have stayed out of the war, out of harm's way?

Frustration brought her palms to her face, the woman rubbing the water droplets from her eyes.

No, what he did with his life wasn't for her to decide. What she could do, at the very least, is figure out how to keep him alive and out of trouble.

Suravi would be a stop for that.

A few minutes later, Kaile would leave the refresher and change. Asmus lay on the bed, perhaps asleep. Quietly, she did her best to change. She had to get to the cockpit to get there in time for the shift in the course before the warning chime went off.

Asmus was resting, eyes half opened when Kaile stepped back into the room. He offered a small smile. He had given himself a rather stern telling off for being pathetic. As she finished dressing what he wanted to do was follow her. If he did that he would end up tripping over himself again.

“Call down to me if you need me,” he said softly before drawing the sheets slightly closer. There would be enough water for a hot shower for himself, but he didn't feel like taking one.

Unlike Kaile he had very little idea where they would go now. The Galaxy was such a large place it could swallow anyone whole. It was truly impossible to picture how large it was. There was only the numbers. Numbers and equations he could use to plot a course, but he still couldn't visualise it.

So how did we end up crossing paths again?

"Okay," came Kaile's quiet reply. How many more 'okay's' would be exchanged between them? This time, they had a different connotation. Everything was not okay. Yet both were trying their best to show their best foot forward. How that would turn out in the end, well, that was still in motion.

A small hair tie pulled half of her blonde hair away from her face into a small ponytail at the back of her head. She wore a blue wrap shirt and tan pants. Boots were next as was the wide bantha leather belt.

"Get some rest." she would encourage him with a murmur. For a brief moment, Kaile let her gaze linger on Asmus' shape. He had the sheets up to his neck and tuffs of dark hair sticking up. Those boyish features were heightened by how small he seemed. It was a stark contrast to other facets of him when the pilot radiated a cocky confidence and boundless enthusiasm and optimism.

It only confirmed that he wasn't made for this sort of life. That finding him some form of normalcy would be best for him.

Giving a small nod, Kaile would turn away, heading up the stairs towards the cockpit with her datapad in hand. She took deliberate steps, mind made up. She wouldn't return, not immediately. The agent had several steps to take first and documents to review. It was, in her mind, the only way she could possibly give Asmus some form of his life back.

It was strange the way that sleep was so hard to find when everything was playing on your mind. Yet even though everything was still there, just an hour's rest made it seem easier. As if the mind ramped up the emotional stress just to keep one awake.

Asmus checked the time to find that only an hour had passed. He was used to sleeping hour long segments within the confines of fighter during long journeys or when waiting to launch.

As he slipped out of the bed, which he occupied alone, all his problems slowly unfurled in layers within his own mind. Like a flower opening for the sun. The troopers back at home, the marked ship and the flash fire notice.

The way that kaile seemed to be holding him at arm's length when he tried to enquire too far.

When Asmus arrived in the cockpit, he had two mugs of caf in his hands. He wore old spacer clothes now. A plain, loose shirt and cargo pants with plenty of pockets. He wore the thigh holster for the side arm he had stolen from the imperial governor.

“Did you want one?” he asked. Asmus looked drained, though slightly less fretful than before. He set his own magnetic mug down on the navigation console and took a seat. Running his long fingers through his ruffled hair he sighed and looked at what the Solaris told him about their path through hyperspace.

Brown eyes flicked up, catching sight of Asmus with his precarious hold on two cups of coffee. Seeing him slide down with comfortable familiarity into the seat beside her brought with it a small flashback. Of the Subversion and crashing into him in that galley, caf spilling everywhere.

It had been that night that prompted her to go to his cabin, concern over his welfare that had her take his hands in hers to try and tend to his burns. Caf. He’d chipped at her walls with Caf.

“Thank you,” Kalie replied, giving her datapad a slight brush of her thumb to shut off the display. It went blank, hiding from view the details of what she’d been going over for the past hour. Taking the caf, she took a sip to her lips. Its warmth filled her mouth and coated her tongue. Spreading heat throughout her chest. Much like Asmus could.

Focus.

“You should sleep more,” Kaile interjected her thoughts, speaking quietly, a flicker of chocolate brown eyes rising up to trace Asmus’ face. It was a stolen moment—mental snapshots. The Lorrdian knew she had to take those that were available to her.

“Huh, contacts are gone,” he observed. “And I'm alright with power naps to keep going.” It didn't escape his notice that the screen on her data pad was locked before being laid down within his line of sight. It was likely habit. On the Subversion they had to keep their desks clear and be mindful of who could oversee or overhear certain conversations.

“Had a thought about the ship actually. Lots of old trading stations in the Rim won't tag a transponder. Can get a private bay so people don't look at the Solaris too carefully. Rent a shuttle and fly them both out into deep space. Only come back with the shuttle and memorise where we left this ship.”

Ge looked around the cockpit as if he had grown familiar with the ship already. He hadn't, but he could get attached to a ship quickly.

“That or point it at a star, but only an uninhabited one or someone will see the reactor blow when it gets close. Doubt anyone built this thing with a self destruct.”

Asmus paused in his flow of words. It was easier to talk and pick just one problem to take than to dwell on everything he couldn't fix. He had been feeling lost for where to go next so settled on a problem he could control.

His fingers drummed on the side of his mug. A little tell that he was still paddling hard below the surface of the water.

He is trying, Kaile thought to herself, her fingers curling around her mug of caf. Only a faint curl of steam rose from the covered lid, a security measure when dealing with drinking liquids in space. The corner of her lips twitched slightly at the suggestion of sending the ship at a star. The smooth arch of her brow rose as if to say, really?

“If we point it to a star, reckon it might make it difficult to fly elsewhere,” it was humor, but the sort meant to distract.

“And it will cost credits to rent a bay.” none of them had the luxury to spend mindlessly. That was one core aspect of Kaile; she had a way of stretching every credit to ensure it would count. It was how she and Kurt had managed to make do for a while. Had it not been for her haggling and coupon saving, they might not have been able to eat real food now and again instead of only protein bars.

“I’m more concerned about Jay,” she admitted. It was a conversation Asmus would know where it would go.

“Ship is called the Solaris,” he said, suggesting it would have been a fitting end. Whilst being empty of course. Didn't need a slave circuit to point a lump of metal at a star.

“Personal accounts gone, mission accounts gone,” he muttered. Asmus had never been that held up about personal wealth. It was a rebellious streak deeply ingrained. It was losing his personal possessions that hurt more. Even losing his wardrobe was felt more keenly than his savings. Not just because he was vain. He had taken the time to build that collection, choosing each item carefully, matching outfits and having garments tailored. It was something that had taken time and effort and was personal to him. Another life and it might have been a collection of rare Jedi Warrior cards.

Every SIS agent had an emergency account. Set up and then all information purged so that only the individual knew where it was and how to access it. Asmus had followed procedures to set up a second with an Incom bonus of two thousand credits, but even that wouldn't go far.

“Jay…” he sighed. “Got us out of a tight spot back there but seen by a full squad. If the first thing we do is wipe his memory and sell him, anyone chasing us will find him and have him taken to pieces.”

At least now they were talking business. She was divulging slightly more. Asmus felt better talking about what they could do rather than worrying about what had happened. That was a dark circle he knew he could fall into. Something he had trained himself away from over the years. He had been full of anxiety as a very young boy.

As Asmus went through the small quips of their current predicament, Kaile took another sip of her coffee. Reading his body language, the Lorrdian could tell that he was still troubled about their situation. He was trying to deal with it the best way he could by focusing on one aspect and trying to fix it.

Yet he was in over his head; that much was clear. Her lips would purse in further contemplation. The droid did, in fact, assist in getting them both out of that situation with as little damage and trouble as possible. Normal SIS protocol would have her wipe him and discard him. It was cold, perhaps cruel, but when an agent had to leave an area as quickly as possible, one rarely had the chance to latch into connections. It wasn't the best practice. Perhaps that is why Bobo meant so much to her. She couldn't bear it if anything happened to him.

Taking a deep breath, Kaile leaned back against her chair, crossing her right leg over her left. A plan had slowly settled in her mind the past few minutes before Asmus arrived. One that meant that at least could give Asmus an enhanced measure of protection.

"I can adjust his programming to clear out any Ess Eye Ess information. Data from the Subversion. " she began, speaking slowly and deliberately as if she were still contemplating if it was a good idea.

"... and perhaps add processes and new protocols to assist in scanning. " maybe make it so that he could assist Asmus in keeping him out of trouble.

Asmus smiled and tilted his head to one side. “I think perhaps there are enough protocols that he can spot trouble before he is punching it through a door. I’m not sure scanning was the problem there.”

He chuckled, he sighed and he took another sip of his caf. Giving the problem more thought, he placed his caf down and crossed his arms over his chest. “His crypto bank has a chip. It holds all the keys for that data. Nothing to stop us pulling that out and firing it at a star in one of the probes - it’s not an obsession with burning something in a star I promise - but if you wipe him and incinerate the keys it makes it fairly impossible to get back.

“At least I think so anyway.” He imagined only the top slicing department in the Alliance would know better. He watched Kaile to see which way she would swing. He knew full well it was her decision, but he appreciated that she was at least giving it some thought.

Both of Kaile's eyebrows rose high at the renewed mention of sending items burning into a star. Asmus caught sight of it enough to throw in that it wasn't an obsession with trying to incinerate as much as he could in one.

"Are you sure??" Kaile couldn't help but quip from behind her cup of caf, the corner of her mouth twitching.

"Firin' at a star seems to be a continuing trend." she took another sip, mulling over what the pilot had provided as a recommendation.

"That could be done," a glance over with a pair of tawny brown eyes added, "No star firing required. I believe we have a small incinerator in here."

The tips of her fingers made a small tapping sound against the side of her caf mug. After a moment, she gave a slow nod of approval.

"We could do that."

“Some of us just want to watch something burn,” he laughed. “But you will have to take away his standard memories I guess. Will he still remember us?”

He was just a droid, but it was something about managing to give him a renewed interest in his duties, in his life, that Asmus liked. He saw the war from behind a joystick and a wall of displays. Saving a few people, or even just one droid, brought him satisfaction.

“Can you tell me anything about Suarbi or is it all above my head level classified?”

There was a slight tell with the grimace it was returning to a topic that the agent wasn't comfortable elaborating on.

"I'll have to remove anything from the Subversion... or our original mission. " or anything about what their objective revolved around.

"I can implant new memories in their stead." she didn't answer his inquiry on Suravi. She was redirecting, diverting.

“You can say ‘yes it is you' know.” Asmus gave a very subtle shrug of his shoulders. “I’ve been here long enough to understand it happens. Especially with Amadgenar trying to avoid letting me at any information on account of my background if he can help it. Not your fault if I’m not cleared.”

Asmus took a sip of his caf. “All has to go. Not that anyone on Eriadu is strictly speaking a traitor any more. The information we’ve got on who was particularly loyal to the Alliance has to go.” He gave a little nod as he worked that through in his mind. Their file had reasons why they hadn’t investigated certain families. The imperials could use that, or would use it just to send a message with their inquisitors.

Another slight wince. He was reading her again. A slight purse of Kaile's brows would pinch them together. Was it because he was that observant? Or was he given more training than Kaile expected? His reference to his credentials seemed more possible than naught that it was the former rather than the latter.

In this case, it only made Kaile more cognizant of what she was doing. But it was difficult. A Lorrdian communicated a wealth of information just through body language alone, and with all the sentiments that the woman had for the pilot sitting before her, it was difficult to keep herself reined in.

"All will go," she confirmed. "But I can ensure that he retains some recognition if that is what you like?"

She was stubbornly refusing to say yes. He wasn’t quite sure why either. There was a look of confusing on his face as he considered it. Was she avoiding it so that she didn’t have to lie? Just three hours and he would find out what the deal was anyway.

“That would be nice, thank you,” he said. Asmus made a show of smiling at her for listening and trying to help. She didn’t have to, not at a time like this. “I’ll help gather the flimsiplasts for incineration once I’ve finished this.”

Asmus turned his chair towards the console. “Assume we’re heading for the moon of Susevi?”

"That will be helpful," Kaile responded, aware that the pilot's mind was mentally going over whatever confused him. He had a brilliant analytical mind; Kaile knew that. If he had a little more focus and wasn't as tired, he just might be able to pick up on other nuances.

At his inquiry, Kaile replied, "Yes." It was true, but not completely. She intended to land them in one of the more isolated spaceports there. Catch up with other smugglers and Outer Rim contacts. See what could be done about the ship.

"You look exhausted. You should get some more rest." she insisted over her cup of caf.

“Probably should have said that before this!” Asmus exclaimed, holding up the mug. “I'm not going to rest before we get there now. Will pop a stim pill and get steal some more sleep later.”

He drained the mug and stood up, leaning over Kaile. He placed a kiss on the crown of her head and touched her shoulder again.

“You can tell me that you can't tell me things, I won't be offended,” he whispered. Turning away he moved to duck out of the cockpit. There was a stack of files in the little office space next to their room he needed to gather for incineration.

Kaile lowered her lids at that quiet reminder. It wasn't just that. Sure, there were things that Kaile couldn't tell him, but it also revolved around the fact that Kaile didn't want to lie to him. Out of everything that had come to pass, the Lorrdian didn't want to end up lying to him.

Her entire life was already a series of lies. If she could keep that up, then maybe it wouldn't be too terrible. It was selfish; yes, she was well aware of that. It also ensured that she could, at the very least, keep Asmus out of any high risks.

A few more seconds and Kaile gave a heavy sigh, blowing strands of blond hair away from her face. Turning back to her datapad, Kaile set her thumb against the biometric keylock. In a flash, a pale blue glow went washing over the Lorrdian's face.

Kaile had been busy moving funds, coding accounts, encrypting, and also trying to narrow down what was the best way to get Asmus connected to a world where he'd be able to lay low and live a normal life. Well, as normal as one could get when they were no longer able to be themselves.

From there, Kaile would drink the rest of her caf. Time to work on Jay. A bittersweet pang of guilt filled her. She liked the Droid, grown attached. It was easy to. But it wouldn't last.

Nothing ever did.

“Coming up the system now,” Asmus called out. He pulled back on the hyperspace lever to indicate that the ship could drop them out, but it was a few seconds later that it did so. As quick as he was he couldn't hit a target as small as a moon when they were travelling as fast as the Solaris allowed. It wasn't needle in a haystack, it was molecule in a hay stack.

There had been plenty of work to do. Files that they had prepared meticulously together bac on the Subversion were all carefully destroyed. The flight computer too, reprogrammed with a false route.

“Alright, where am I taking us?” he asked, hands on the controls.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom