Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark Matter

Buzz was a small caf stall like any other. There was a kebob place off to the right, with a terminal stationed conveniently to the left for the quick with draw of local credits. It was not unusually busy or empty; the ‘verse would carry on despite the two broken hearts that were moving in opposite directions.

J4’s large form would steadily walk forward, most travelers would avoid being his in his path. He wasn’t remotely threatening by physical means, but he was still a large droid that would tower over Asmus by a good foot and a half.

[ I have found you. ] an obvious commentary. Jay four’s ocular sensors gave a whir, zooming in on Asmus’ face.

[ I will have you know, we have only thirteen minutes before the drop off point expires.] he told Asmus in his informative tone, if a bit amused. These humans were strange indeed.

Extending his arm, he offered the com unit back. [ I have a message to deliver. ]

Back on the Solaris, Kaile had managed to exit atmo. A flurry of adjustments and she would pilot the ship to prepare for hyperspace. The next stop was Vergesso Asteriods. From there Drexel, Ryloth. She would skip over Tatooine, knowing that Kurt would be on Corucant, at the Core worlds. Stars how she wanted to contact him now. To tell him everything. But it wasn’t safe. On top of that, she wanted to know if he was okay. He had sent a message a few weeks back that he would be visiting near the Outer Rim. Kaile could only pray that he was safe and away from the trouble that had unfolded.

He had told her once, years back, that if she ever wanted to come back, she could. That she would always have a place with him in his new ship. That they were family. And stars as much as she wanted to curl into his arms and cry her heart out over Asmus, over everything, Kaile knew that contacting him would be bad. Not now. Maybe later.

Even then, as her mind continued to race, there wasn’t removing that lingering scent of Asmus’ cologne that lingered along the pilot seat she sat at. He was still here, even if Kaile wanted to banish him from her mind, she couldn’t. Eyes welling with tears, lower lip trembling, breaking apart, Kaile cursed, “Damnit!”

The next instant, she activated the hyperdrive. Twin lines left in Solaris’ wake as it disappeared.

Last edited:
“We're not taking that route Jay,” Asmus said. Someone brought a cup of caf to the standing table that Jay loomed over. The moment was looked hitting the eye of the storm. He took a sip of terrible caf and left some credit chits on the bill. It was the moment before what had happened and what came next. A rare few seconds where Asmus soaked up the world around him. The familiarity of where they were. The mix of languages spoken, the heated bartering that only seemed to exist around a spaceport.

“I've us booked on another ship. Don't worry, it's all sorted.” Asmus took a breath, let it all wash over him. “What was the message?”

[Okay]

Back into the howling winds he plunged. He had to press his lips together to stop them from trembling. The single word couldn't even convey it all. It had always been her eyes that spoke to him when she said that word. She had acknowledged that he was going to follow his own path.

The path that needed to be mapped out. He needed more information. Asmus swallowed.

“Let's go.”

Humans were so strange. [ where are we going? ] There was also the distinct subject of the restraining bolt he still had on his chest. Was Asmus going to leave it there?

He decided to ask.

[ Are you going to leave this on me? ] it was rather undignified. Granted, the droid didn't consider that as soon as Asmus removed it, the original directive given by Kaile would come back online. They had ten minutes left.

Last edited:
“I'm so sorry Jay, but no. I will but not yet. I know a few pros who can probably dig deep into your protocols and make sure she hasn't left any more surprises for me.”

Anything that might stop him from working through the slowly emerging plan. It wasn't even a plan. It was a few steps. No one ever had a full plan and if they did they probably spent more time changing the plan than getting on with things.

“Might be a few days waiting on Alzoc but you'll get to meet some interesting people. You're going to love the Twins.”

The flaps over Jay’s eyes rose and fell, as expressive as any humaniods.

[ My additional protocols and primary objectives are to increase your chance of survival and benefit. ] a pause [ they make me useful. ]

Another pause.

[ Do the advanced small arms training have to go?] he sounded rather dejected about that.

[ The Twins? Do you have progeny?] an innocuous inquiry, if a curious one at their evolving state of circumstance.

“No, no, you can keep that. I'm more worried that she might have hidden an order to knock me out if I go within twenty yards of a blaster.”

They needed to get to the ship. A few extra credits and a big smile had kept his name off the manifest. The ID was new and wouldn't be on any lists but he didn't want to build up too much of a paper tail yet.

“They're droids Jay, afraid you might have a job helping them for a little while.”

He could feel the tension building behind his eyes. He was hurting. Every step and breath were hard. She was gone. Despite everything she was gone. It had been so simple in his beach house. Just talking and laughing. Finding every little button to push.

Asmus realised he was letting his thoughts go around in circles. Couldn't get anywhere in a circle. He needed Kairon's star maps and a little help from friendly smugglers.

[ That is a negative. Knocking you out within twenty yards of a blaster would have prevented me from using one. ] logical really.

[ However, knocking you out to ensure you arrived at the drop off is a viable solution. ] well there was that answer.

[ Although per my calculations, even if you do remove my restraining bolt, I do not believe I will be able to take you to there with less than five minutes on the countdown. ]

Jay was pleased that he would retain his small arms weapons package. [ Other droids? Well, as long as I am able to assist and it doesn’t supercede my primary objective. ]

He then lowered his head, the smooth dark dome of it catching the light. A small alert flew over his ocular display.

[ Your heart rate has increased by 3% every two minutes. ] another addition, the ability to keep track of Asmus’ physical vital signs.

“Might have to stack a few boxes, but so long as you do it well I won't be at any more risk for it,” Asmus replied. They were waved towards a light transport on the landing pad.

They had arrived here in a marked vessel and then disappeared. His name on the manifest would have gone unnoticed. A clean ID. Yet better not to be written down anywhere yet.

“Did she give you that one too? My heart.. My heart rate will be fine. Time for some subtlety now Jay. I promise I'll get that bolt off soon. Trust me, might have need of you looking out for me soon.”

The inside of the transport was only half full. A random array of species, far more diverse than Eriadu or the core. Inside his own mind he was drawing star maps from memory alone. Laying down little markers and crossing them off as he considered them in turn.

Stacking boxes? Well, that didn’t appear to be relatively dangerous. There was that dejected flap of his ocular sensors again.

[ One of many. She was very thorough. Would you like me to list them? ] he offered pleasantly, walking through the main entry of the ship down towards the seats. There was a lounge here as well as a bar. The usual small but expensive restaurant. There was even an Arceneau Trade stand.

As soon as Asmus mentioned needing to look out for him soon, Jay immediately perked. [ Then it will be my pleasure to ensure you are kept out of trouble. ]

“No. No Jay no one ever managed that. Just focus on keeping me safe. Pass the list to me, time to be quiet. I might try and sleep a little.”

To accentuate his point he sent a little ping to Jay through his implant. Sometimes the droid didn't quite catch what Asmus meant and the last thing he needed now was more questions.

He knew that sleep wouldn't come easily. I'm fact he doubted it would come at all. If he went back to the Quintessence he would have to revisit all the places where they had first started to grow fond of one another.

It was necessary. The shuttle lifted off and Asmus desperately tried to keep the wound plugged for now. Not yet, he told himself. Don't let it sink in yet.

[ Of course. ] a pause, then Jay ducked his head a little closer.

[ How would you like me to pass it?] he didn’t have a datapad after all. Was he supposed to use the restraining bolt? If there was any time to shake one’s head at the humor, it was then. Either that or cry.

Asmus finished his conversation with Jay and the next leg of their trip. Asmus had made up his mind. He contacted his uncle, Kairon Rees, and was picked up by the Quintessence. Despite Kaile's reservations, he would make his way back to the SIS and find out what was being done to slow the collapse of the Alliance as the First Order navy moved through their space.

“I was thinking something.”

When resting in the cockpit of the Quintessence a new thought from Mai was very rarely something he wanted to entertain.

“Go on then.”

“I was thinking that in a small ship having such sensitive hearing is terrible. But I actually preferred hearing you grunting and rutting with some spaceport skank than sobbing to yourself like a little queen.”

“Thanks Mai.”

Being back in the room had been difficult. It was difficult to not overlay those cherished memories on top of the scenes before him. His room, the sonics, this very cockpit.

A light on the console went red. Asmus sat upright. This has been a long shot. It had taken weeks just to build the model to start making predictions working fourteen hours a day. Kairon had been patient with him. Other smugglers had helped by dropping buoys at potential locations. They hadn't asked for anything in return. They looked out for their own.

There was a clunk as Jay ducked into the cockpit. A great big grin was spreading across Asmus’ face. The ship could barely pick up any signals, but he could recognise the silhouette. So could Jay.

“Unidentified vessel,” crackled their comm unit. “Please…”

“No need for the script, Max. Its me, Asmus. I'm coming back."

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom