Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark Matter

"I'm entering in the coordinates," Kaile told him, her fingers moving quickly over the nav screen.

Once completed, she brought her datapad out and began to work through quickly in sending an encrypted message.

"Have to make sure we aren't flagged," she explained, figuring Asmus would be interested. It would be enough to satiate his curiosity.

It had taken the better part of an hour to do the full changes and updates to Jay's memory drive and storage. Now, there were upgrade security features along with enhanced protocols to be mindful of suspicious activity and danger.

The coordinates Kaile set were for a settlement known for smuggling and as a landing pad for gathering supplies before heading off into Kathol Space.

Kaile gave Asmus a nod. "You see more of 'em out here. " because it was easier to get lost in the shuffle. Folk lived in the Outback because they wanted to be left alone to do their own thing. It wasn't regulated by governments or massive companies. Just a few settlements here and there that would trade what they could, scavenge what they cant, then sell it at high prices -- because if you are out here, chances are, you weren't gonna be able to easily go to any Arceneau Trade Station to get what you want.

"Stay here," she told him, looking at him as he piloted them into the bay.

"I'll need to see if I can find my contact." she'd explain, standing up and off her chair. "Try to keep it in one piece without getting into much trouble." a check of her thigh holster and the powercell in her blaster was enough to suggest she was preparing for anything.

"I shouldn't be more than half an hour."

“I used to love these ports,” he said as he angled the Solaris around. “Still do,” he added. It was seeing all cultures condensed into one little place. Religions, cultures, species, forms of entertainment, food and of course drinks. This wasn't the first time he had run from the civilised Eriadu life. Hadn't been forced to run away still wearing a cravat and waistcoat the first time.

The engines barely hummed as they cruised towards the moon. Their brief burn through the Eriadu atmosphere didn't feel like enough of a run to really give the ship a final run.

They were briefly scanned. Automated systems registered the false ID being claimed by the transponder. Hopefully not too many people would see their ship.

“I've got a bay, taking us in.”

Wearing a blaster was standard procedure out here in the Rim. He was reminded of the ambush that had been laid for the Quintessence when she had saved him from a thug. In hindsight he had been so focussed on her emotional state that her skill with a blaster and knowledge of mental torture had really drifted past him.

“Got it,” he replied. As soon as they were down the ship carried out post flight checks in a fraction of a second. He did like this ship, but there was something a little too fresh and automated about it. He missed being at the helm of his fighter.

“Shit,” he muttered to himself. “Not going to get my fighter back for a long time.” This wasn’t an idle comment like picturing himself with a different hairstyle. He adored being behind the stick of the fighter he had repaired by hand with his uncle and tuned to perfection over time. At least tuned for him. The mechanics kept trying to alter settings. He hoped the Subversion was safe, hidden somewhere in deep space. There was a touch of anger in his tone this time, coming full circle from the shock of Tarien’s betrayal, letting the situation slowly soak in and then back again.

He grabbed one of the ship’s comm links and passed it to her. They still had the point to point comms between their implants. “This won’t draw attention if you need me and can talk plainly.” Sometimes the chance of having your signal intercepted was less of a risk than making the wrong person curious as to why a heavily encrypted signal was flying around their station.

Asmus span his chair and stood up and went to get his own blaster. “No trouble, promise,” he said with a curt not and a lopsided smile. “Jay, you tell me if anyone approaches the ship at all please.”

Asmus had yet to activate Jay after Kaile made her changes. So when he made the announcement, the Droid was activated and came online. Kaile had been true to her word, the droid would recognize Asmus and determine that he was his master.

A small whir of gears, and Jay replied, [ There is currently one Sullustan approaching the ship.] It was the refueler. Asmus had been broad with his request, so Jay took him literally. At least his humor and personality matrix were still intact. So when Kaile stepped out of the ship, Jay did not inform Asmus that someone was leaving it.

Kaile spotted the Sullustan, giving a shake of her head, “No need, thank you.” They didn’t need to be spending fuel right now. Besides, the Solaris was already fuel efficient.

The Sullustan gave a shrug and began to head back to place the fuel gear away. Taking a breath, Kaile brought her comm back out. Pressing the button, she sent out an encrypted message.

[Kai, I know you are here. Let’s make a deal. ]

Asmus watched her leave. It reminded him ever so slightly of the moment he had watched her go from the base of the Quintessence’ ramp. The sullustan gave a friendly wave and locked the fuel outlet back down. Asmus returned the gesture and turned on his heels.

Stepping back into the ship he had the ramp raise up behind him and seal with a hiss. He headed for a navigation terminal.

[Will she be long?] Jay asked.

“She said about half an hour, remind me in twenty?”

[Understood]

A holographic galaxy map bloomed into life at the back of the cockpit. Asmus rotated it slowly to show the routes from Coruscant to the outer rim. A few more taps and he overlaid the known battles between Alliance and Sith forces, then the small incursions made closer to the rim by the First Order. To his surprise there was far less activity out here than in the core. A rumour was now being floated around the holonet that the Jedi Grandmaster had betrayed the Alliance to the Sith.

That would at least explain the surprising turn of events. The Sith had been the ones to strike hard from the core. The other forces line up against the Alliance had taken advantage. It didn't provide much comfort to know they had done their jobs in the SIS to monitor the dangers closer to the Rim, but been undone from within back in the core.

“Where would you go?” he mused, trying to think like a certain frigate captain.

Kaile would normally try to avoid this particular contact. However, as she was crunched for time and the odds were that Kai would be making the most of the situation, there was little choice in the matter.

Kai was known by many names. People were not really sure if that was her real name or not. As it was, the woman spent the bulk of her time as an information broker in the old Confederacy, and with her connections with the Bothan Intel, she was the quickest source at ensuring that Asmus would have a way to disappear and live a relatively normal life.

If anyone could wipe records and create an identity out of thin air with years of history, references, and sources, it was Kai.

The problem was that it might cost the Lorrdian.

SIS had a solid set of aliases that could be used. However, with how everything seemed to go to poodoo, it was hard to say if agents could trust that the aliases given to them were still secure.

That's why Kaile wanted to see if she could give Asmus that bit of protection. Talking business with Kai would do it.

A few seconds and, an encrypted message came up in her datapad. It was a set of coordinates.

"Well, here goes nothing."

Amadgenar was a cautious person. He liked to play everything by the book. In fact he liked to take the book, write some more stringent rules and stick them in the book. Then take that book and hit his Wing Commander around the head with it repeatedly.

Space was large. Very, very large. It was hard to track a vessel through hyperspace, it was almost impossible to track the Subversion. The frigate could easily jump into deep space outside of the range of any scanners and remain there for months.

On his map Asmus narrowed down a sphere where the ship was probably ‘submerged’ right now. It was a very large sphere. What it did was given him a view of where she would eventually emerge from when supplies were running low. He didn't have enough information to know for sure; the route they would take would depend on any rally points. If there were any rally points. The best he could tell right now the Alliance had been shattered. When the Republic had fallen tens of resistance groups had risen and eventually coalesced around Sullust. Where would they form, and around who, next time?

That posed a question. If there was never a recall signal what would they do. He still assumed he would go into hiding with Kaile somewhere. What would they do if they were never actioned to return to duty?

Suravi's moon had scattered settlements. This one, in particular, was no different than any other trade town. There were cantinas, warehouses, and trade stores aplenty, with a few residential pourstone hotels available for any traveling spacer.

The Jensaarri pretty much stuck to their own after the Omega Protectorate fell. Then the Galactic Alliance took over, and it was easy enough for the world and its moons to join. With the chaos going on with the Alliance, it wasn't hard to see that it was easy to find dealings with the Outer Rim Coalition.

After a few minutes of walking, Kaile made it to a small, nondescript store. There weren't many folk around, but the Lorrdian kept watch. Walking through the store, the woman checked the wares, keeping up with her situational awareness.

"You lookin' for anything, in particular, little lady?' The shopkeeper would ask. He was a portly elderly man with thinning hair and a smear of sweat over his brow.

"Got any Giju?" the man's mouth gave a twitch.

"Come on over here, and I might have some in the back." It had been a code word, a rather silly one, but hey, it was what it was.

The shopkeeper led Kaile off to the side, past a sliding door, and into a small room. It had two chairs, a table, and a layer of dust on the floor that could make anyone sneeze in allergies. One of the problems with living out here in the grasslands, dust just got everywhere.

He left her in there, to which case Kaile took to scanning the area. There were few security features hidden. So, she was in the right place.

Taking a seat, the blonde sighed. It was interrupted by the voice of another woman.

"Well, when I saw your message, I didn't expect to see you here." Kaile's attention was immediately drawn to the right. Siara Kai, infobroker, seemed to appear out of thin air. Likely a stealth unit. Kaile gave a mental curse that she hadn't picked up on it.

"It's been...what...almost twelve years?" Kaile didn't know where Siara came from, but she was human, with dark black hair and green eyes. She always had a sort of a predatory look about it. The last time Kaile dealt with her, she had been to gather information on Circe Savan before the time of the Protectorate, when the Lorrdian had worked as an agent for Omega Pyre.

"Give or take." Kaile began, keeping her expression neutral.

"So what do I owe this pleasure to?" Taking the back of the chair, Siara sat down, cocking her head to the side. Searching, reading, a half-wolfish grin on her face.

"Need a clean handle. Independent." There is no sense in beating around the system. Kaile took out a small datachip and slid it over to her.

"You don't need me to get you a clean handle." an arch of her brow spoke of her curiosity.

"No, but you do solid work, and I want it guaranteed."

"I don't work for free."

Kaile gave a purse of her lips.

"I didn't expect you to." Bringing her datapad, the Lorrdian pressed the holographic display. A small jungle world full of oceans came into view.

"I discovered a bunker six years back. It was full of prototype tech, droids, vehicles... you name it. The security was triggered, but the items are still there. From what I found, it was all original Imperial technology. It must have been an outpost that had been left behind."

Siara gave a glare. "A triggered alarm is not what I want to deal with," she added.

"No, but that's where the technology to get past socket guards is found." that brought a spark to Siara's eyes.

"I reckoned you'd like that."

“Time Jay.”

“It has only been twelve minutes since she left the Solaris.”

“Of course.” Asmus stood in the cockpit with his arms crossed over his chest. Even though J4 would give him an early warning he wanted to watch the surroundings with his own eyes. There was a big difference between numbers of people and the context of how they approached the ship.

She was either dealing with a hidden cell of SIS agents or a private contact. They had assets all across the galaxy and Kaile had probably laid down roots.

It wasn't often that he stopped to think about his own past, much less anyone else's. He realised he hadn't really let himself walk in her shoes. Or rather walk where she had been. The threat of the First Order was recent but she could have been working for years in clandestine operations. Back when this space was wild and no single force had started to tame the hyperlanes.

And after all that it's my ridiculous smile that gets her tangled in knots.

Asmus wasn't sure how he felt about that. Proud, confused. Most of all he wanted to see her again. Everything had been shaken up. The sound of her sobbing into the crook of his neck was fresh.

“Stay safe out there,” he murmured to himself.

“It’s square. You know I’ve got my way around a socket guard. This is how you can do the same—“ before Siara could intervene, Kaile added,” and make more credits out of what is left.”

“I still have to deal with getting there and paying people for security if you already tripped the alarm.”

“Maybe,” Kaile countered, “but I was able to get in and out without having to pay for a group." it was true. Granted, at the time, she'd done it with Kurt.

"So, what are you trading for? The location?" Siara brought her arms up and crossed them over her chest.

"Location and map to where the prototype room is. You can get in and out if what you want are schematics. Or you can try and cash in on the rest of the droids."

"That will take months if not years, to move that kind of merchandise. " time was money, after all.

"And you want what? One clean handle?" Siara confirmed, not quite ready to show her hand just yet.

Kaile wondered if she could push for two.

"Two."

"Why would you need two?" a pause, then an arch of her brow.

"This isn't just for you, is it?" interesting.

"I am sure you know what is going on already. I take precautions as much as you."

"Two would take more time...and a lot more credits. " Siara countered.

"Then it's a good thing I'm offering the location where you'll be able to get just that."

“Time?”

“Fourteen minutes. Would you just like me to sound a chime every minute. If I fetch a hydro-spanner it would likely make a nice sound on the table.”

Asmus turned his head very slowly and looked up at J4. The droid looked down with that impassive expression and refused to comment.

Gonna get Kaile to reprogram you harder next time buddy.

A few seconds later and Asmus realised that the silly suggestion had managed to take his mind off waiting. He just wished there was something to spend his time doing. There was certainly no way he could risk contacting Kairon yet. All there was to do was watch the increasingly dark news rolling in.

Stormtroopers on Eriadu. Sith tearing down the Jedi constructs on Coruscant. It felt as if everything he had strived for was pulled down before his eyes.

The merchants on Eriadu would, for the most part, do well. The odd one would vanish to secret police of course, but not all. It was the regular people that would suffer. Those powerless to stop their homes being turned out. Their ships being impounded. Each fresh image galvanised his resolve, but he had no direction, no course to steer.

He hoped Kaile would find one.

"No," Siara replied, this time firm.

"You get one unless you can give me something for the other."

There was no budging the information broker. Kaile could read it from the telltale nuances that ran over the other woman's expression. With what was going on with the Sith Empire, the First Order, and the Alliance, the demand for a clean identity that could pass undetected had increased. Which meant supply and demand meant that so would cost.

"One then." Kaile acquiesced. She could handle blending in. Asmus could not.

"What do you need?" by now, Siara had the expression of a sated cat who had just been served her bowl of cream.

Kaile pointed towards the datachip.

"Details are in there. I need it quick."

Siara plucked the chip from the table and brought it closer. On her forearm, there was a bracelet. After a brief brush of her fingers, a holographic display bloomed over it. Connecting the datachip to her portable terminal, Siara began to scan and review.

It didn't take long for Siara to arch a brow in the agent's direction.

"So this isn't for you?"

"I'm not paying you for small talk, Siara," Kaile replied, taking a deep breath. It wasn't said with bite but more with weariness. It was evident she was exhausted, her mind on a dozen things.

"Alright, alright..." Siara replied, well amused.

"You want a male identity. A pilot with references doing work with freighters and speeders. I can get you documents listing him as born and raised in poduck nowhere, with a knack for piloting. "

"That's fine. I'll need an uplink for all the details." there was more to creating a new identity. It dealt with being able to reference childhood friends, family, and a home. An uplink would allow Asmus to draw that information into his datastint for piloting.

"I also need a cleanup job on a cybernetic implant. It needs to be registered to the new Alias as well." Kaile wracked her brain to find out what else would be required.

"Possession of a Jay Four droid." what else? What else could she be missing?

"I can open a credit account for him; backdate it for a few years. You'll need to provide the credits of course." ah, there was that wolfish smile of Siara's back.

Kaile's lips gave a purse.

"Yes, please. " glancing back at her datapad, Kaile's fingers deftly went through the various applications until she came to the one she selected. She barely glanced at the amount before a quick tap proceeded with her commands.

"I'll need the encrypted account..."

The next ten minutes would revolve around fine-tuning Asmus' new alias as well as ensuring that he had enough credits to provide him some stability to start. By the end, Kaile was nearly devoid of credits, but she knew she could make do it. Siara would draw up connections to get him a ticket out of Suravi and travel deeper into Outer Rim Coalition Territory. The Kathol Sector would keep him relatively near to Eriadu but also ensure that he was safe. He could very well spend the next few years there traveling the stars.
Kaile was sure he'd appreciate that.

By the time close to 30 minutes had passed, Kaile would be on her way back to the Solaris. Now she just had to get Asmus and Jay off the ship and over to the drop point.

“I believe she is approaching.”

“Alone?” Asmus asked. He turned on his heel sharply and headed for the ramp.

“Yes,” replied Jay. Asmus hadn't realised his fingers had been brushing the catch on his holster until that was confirmed and he moved his hand away. Thirty minutes wasn't really a long time, but if she was visiting a regular contact he assumed she could just pick up an emergency package and go.

Asmus ducked to walk down the ramp as it slowly lowered. He wondered where he could have gone if given that order alone? Probably the Rim still, but perhaps the far side of it.

“Useful meeting?” he called out as vaguely as possible. He lifted on hand and traced his fingers across the smooth chromium of the hull. The eye-catching design really had to go soon.

Big, coffee-colored eyes met the gold-flecked jade of the pilot before her. She hesitated to answer for a moment, taking a second to just observe him, taking mental pictures that she could save for later.

It was better this way.

Taking a deep breath, the Lorrdian gave a nod. She drew out from her breast pocket a small datachip.

"Yeah, got things covered. Here, upload this into your datastint." a finger gestured towards the cybernetic implant Asmus had at the back of his neck, hidden away by the dark locks of hair.

"Gather your belongings. We'll be heading off the Solaris in a few." She told him, "Go through the information in that datachip. You'll need to adapt to the physical characteristics... but I made sure you aren't a blonde." a half-joke, the most she could probably provide.

This time, the Lorrdian was playing a new role. One that was ultimately one of the most important she'd ever played. The one where she did her best to keep her bearing and stay calm. The one where she had to let Asmus go.

She made an attempt at a joke, but she didn't smile much. Given the situation he couldn't blame her. “I think I could have pulled off blonde. Gone clean shaven.”

As they stepped back into the Solaris he hooked up the datachip. The interface was made for real time sensory exchange with his starfighter so it took a fraction of a second to upload and store. It was almost like an itch at the back of the eyes for that brief spell.

He was becoming more adept at sorting, accessing and viewing the flat data files stored within his implants. He brought up the basic history and forms of ID he now owned.

“Liam Chedury,” he murmured. He was going to have to trim his hair and have it closely cropped up the side. “What are we doing with the ship then?” he asked. If they were moving soon then she must have come up with a plan to get the ship sold, moved or disposed of.

"I'll be taking care of it after this." not a lie, but by then, Kaile was stepping past Asmus to head toward the master bedroom. She had to gather her things as well.

"I'd say gather what you feel like you'd like to keep that you can carry from the ship. Caf grounds included." another half-joke, diversion. She had to think of it as any standard mission and not dwell on the fact that this was the last time she'd have a conversation with Asmus. Now it wouldn't be safe to even check up on him from a distance. It would only flag him further.

"At the very least, expect to catch up on some sleep in the transport out of here." Kaile had been wondering how she'd be able to go through the motions and drop him off with Siara. Part of her knew that the easiest solution would be to use the Force and manipulate his memories. Yet a part of her didn't want to cross the line with Asmus, not like that.

"The trip to the Kathol Sector will be long enough to put some time and distance from the First Order and Eriadu to allow things to cool off."

“Yeah could probably do with a few hours. It should be easy enough to pick up some work out there with these credentials. It's been a while since I flew something as large as a medium freighter. Will have to try not to bump anything pulling out for the first time!”

The room had never really been theirs. Or at least it hadn't felt that way. More like a hotel room. Yet it still smelled of Kaile. The little items that belonged to her vanishing one by one until it was back to a shell.

Asmus didn't have much to pack from the room. Most of his belongings were back at the house. It didn't take long to pack up what he had a small bag of grooming gear, a few changes of clothes and a spare pair of boots. He looked down at how little the bag was that he would be walking away from everything with.

“Been living light on the Subversion for so long. This doesn't seem so different. Guess we'll be on the move for a while now though. What's your name now?” he asked.

"Too many to narrow down," Kaile replied, which was true. There was always at least a handful of aliases that Lieutenant Vo would provide for her. The only difference between hers and Asmus' is that he now had a solid background that didn't exist within the SIS directory. He was, essentially, Liam Chedury to the rest of the galaxy.

Not for Kaile. He'd always be Asmus. Asmus Janes. Brilliant pilot looking for a bit of adventure. Chasing the stars but still, in love the ones from home. He’d come so far — it wasn't right for him to be in this situation. This is why Kaile was making it right.

Her hand briskly took the zipper and shut her satchel tight, swinging it onto her back. There she adjusted the straps. A courtesy sweep and that was it, nothing left save memories and the telltale scent of their presence.

Don't think about it.

Kaile would avoid looking at Asmus' direction, keeping everything brisk and professional. Had to, to keep herself together. And the less she had to say, the easier it would be.

"Time to go," Kaile told him, shoulders rising with the deep breath she took.

"Jay, I'll lock down the Solaris. " Turning to Asmus, Kaile finally set her eyes upon the man she loved. Another mental snapshot of his tousled hair, the scruff over his jaw, of his angular face. Of those eyes that reminded her of a forest cast in the light of a setting sun.

"I need you to meet with this contact," A flick of her hand and her eyes gave a slight swirl of blue. She was sending the pilot the encrypted information directly to his cybernetics.

"They'll direct you to the drop-off while I finish off with the Solaris. Jay, go with Asmus." she was giving commands. Orders. Providing a lead. It was done on purpose. Asmus had told her that he'd follow her lead. That he trusted her. So Kaile was using this against him. To counter it would be going back on his word.

But at the very least she wasn’t doing what she could have done with the others. Played with his mind.

The room still had the finery that they had inherited but it still looked empty to him without their belongings. He still bade the ship a mental farewell. They had been in a tight spot and it had seen them through it. Both of them had ended up in a mess together trying to get it repaired dealing with one of his old smuggling contacts. Then there had been Amadgenar's impotent rage when he had requisitioned it for the mission.

On his hip was the blaster he had taken from the governor. In his shoulder were still artificially grown cells from the ship's medical bay. Little momentos tied to the memories that had been laid deep.

It took the smallest thing to dredge up memories that had been seared in. The right mixture of massage oils were a scent that took him back to the Quintessence with Kaile nervously pulling her hair aside.

The way Kaile looked at him took him back to a docking bay on Denon, watching her vanish into the crowd.

Asmus narrowed his eyes. The information flashing across his vision went ignored.

I'm imagining things, he told himself. It had been a long day. Kaile had been distancing herself from him, but he had assumed it was just the distance from Eriadu and the need to focus on their own survival. But was it?

“And you'll meet me there?” he wasn't trained as Kaile was. Asmus had always worn his heart on his sleeve and even trying to sound innocuous it was obviously a loaded question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom