Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating a Force User

So, I'm interested in creating a force user. And just by looking around the character forums I see there's a lot of different ways of portraying information. So, what do you guys consider the best way to get across all relevant information?

Should I list off every single force power and how proficient they are with them?

Should I list off what saber styles they know and how much they've mastered?

What information should I state and what information would be permissible to be left a secret?

I await your responses! :D

Honestly I think that's boring. I mean I wrote certain stuff as part of a backstory with gaps. like how Andorreth learned he had the force by playing cards. In terms of listing stuff off... it looks good kinda shows other writers your moxy but it's honestly personal preference I think. You do you though!

[member="Eldrytch"]

I used to list everything off and maintain a catalogue of my character's Force mastery and... it was really in-depth and RPG. These days I just maintain a consistent headcanon of what my guy can and can't do, and work within those confines.

One thing I used to do, and mind you this wasn't strictly forum RP, so the culture was a little different, but I would mark down everything my character was "on record" as knowing or being able to do. This also included his backstory, where I only ever shared the parts of it he shared publicly (further complicated by memory issues and lying about his past).

Only what's in the character template is required. Beyond that, it is entirely up to you and what you want to do. Like many of the others, when promotions to knight and master were more restricted and had to be approved, I listed all of my character's abilities and their skill in them, as well as every thread, in order to showcase the character's growth. With that no longer necessary, I stopped keeping track of things.

What I do now is to pick an aspect of the Force for a character to focus on and build around that. Veino's for example is immovable defense. Tiland's is energy redirection. Roth is space and mentalism. Aeshi is space. Jarik is telekinesis and body enhancement. With those rules of thumb, it helps me get a sense of not only what they might know, but what they can do to respond. While Veino and Tiland might both use Force Barrier, Veino wouldn't know Force Light, while Tiland wouldn't use telekinesis. Roth would use neither, if that all makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom