Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Creating A Force Power?

Darth Atrox

D
I have a question and an idea, as I was looking to create a type of Force Power - flight. Basically, it would be based off of the Harry Potter Death Eater's form of apparition - the Force manipulates the user's body into a sort of smoke like substance which would allow you to fly without the use of a vehicle. [example]

I was reading the restriced items list, and I could not find anything restricting the creation of Force Powers, but I did find this: [SIZE=10pt]Plagiarism:[/SIZE] [SIZE=10pt]Any obvious use of material from outside the Star Wars universe, including but not limited to: Gundam Wing, Halo, Marvel, DC Universe, Dragonball Z, Final Fantasy, Star Trek, etc. Attempted plagiarism could result in disciplinary action as it directly contradicts Star Wars RP: Chaos’s General Rules.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Would this count as such, as I am using the smoke effect to symbolise flight? Second of all, I will be modifying this power as far from the Death Eater [/SIZE][SIZE=13.3333px]Apparition[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt] as possible. The image was the closest thing I could get to what I imagined.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Lastly, would the Force be able to manipulate one's body like that?[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]Thank you in advance.[/SIZE]

Jak Sandrow

"Nobody cares for the woods anymore."
Sounds almost like Reaper from Overwatch.

I think it's a cool idea, to be honest. However, like every force power, this would need some limitations. Through a heck-ton of Sith Alchemy, you could create an object of sorts that lets you activate it with the force, in order to turn your body to smoke. You could then use your incredibly less heavier body to float wherever you want.

Expect a lot of dev threads, though. :p

EmKay

[member="Darth Atrox"],

While I'm not any sort of staff, I've asked almost the same question before, just my case was reinventing Sith Lightning. So I'll do what I can to answer your question until someone higher up takes notice and can provide something more official.

1. The Ability to Create Force Powers
    To roughly tell you what Tef told me, the Force is a mystic energy. It's a something that can do almost anything. It's not a TCG where you can measure your ability by the catalogue on your profile. So, yes, theoretically, you can make your own powers, but the question is of if you should and if it makes sense. Also consider if you could pull off your intended ability using a combination of existing Force Powers.
  2. Plagiarism of the Content
    This is the hardest thing for me to answer. If I were to ask some of my ex-Staff friends, they'd probably tell me something like "If you have to ask if it's plagiarism, it probably is". That said, it's difficult to come up with one hundred per-cent original thought, since many things can and are inspired by what we've seen, heard, or read. My best advice is that, if you go through with this, do your best to make it your own. The worst that would probably happen in that regard is you're told that you're skimming to close to what exist in Rowling's universe and to stop it. Or you get banned, but Staff are nice unless you're a constant problem.

Darth Atrox

D
Jak Sandrow said:
Sounds almost like Reaper from Overwatch.

I think it's a cool idea, to be honest. However, like every force power, this would need some limitations. Through a heck-ton of Sith Alchemy, you could create an object of sorts that lets you activate it with the force, in order to turn your body to smoke. You could then use your incredibly less heavier body to float wherever you want.

Expect a lot of dev threads, though. :p
Thank you for responding so quickly, and yes, if this were allowed I would have to do a 'few' dev threads.

Tachon Zur-Ksi said:
[member="Darth Atrox"],

While I'm not any sort of staff, I've asked almost the same question before, just my case was reinventing Sith Lightning. So I'll do what I can to answer your question until someone higher up takes notice and can provide something more official.

1. The Ability to Create Force Powers
    To roughly tell you what Tef told me, the Force is a mystic energy. It's a something that can do almost anything. It's not a TCG where you can measure your ability by the catalogue on your profile. So, yes, theoretically, you can make your own powers, but the question is of if you should and if it makes sense. Also consider if you could pull off your intended ability using a combination of existing Force Powers.
  2. Plagiarism of the Content
    This is the hardest thing for me to answer. If I were to ask some of my ex-Staff friends, they'd probably tell me something like "If you have to ask if it's plagiarism, it probably is". That said, it's difficult to come up with one hundred per-cent original thought, since many things can and are inspired by what we've seen, heard, or read. My best advice is that, if you go through with this, do your best to make it your own. The worst that would probably happen in that regard is you're told that you're skimming to close to what exist in Rowling's universe and to stop it. Or you get banned, but Staff are nice unless you're a constant problem.
Thank you for replying so quickly, and giving me such a good answer.

With ambition and greed an underlying factor in being a Sith, I am surprised that no (canon) Sith had attempted to do so. Furthermore, the ability would be for personal gain and use. In hindsight, 'Force Flight' could be achieved by utilising Telekinesis on a larger scale.

As for plagiarism, all I would be utilizing is the concept of a smoke like substance - it would be further reduced to be pulled away from the Rowling Canon. To clarify to any reading, it is not Apparition - it would be flight.

[member="Darth Atrox"] To be completely honest and I could be reaching a bit far with this, but you could probably use the basic skill of "telekinesis" and instead of moving another object you'd just move yourself. So in actuality you're not "creating" your own force power - it can be done with the means of what is already canon.

[member="Darth Atrox"]

If I remember correctly, in the novel Betrayal, Mara Jade uses the Force to levitate across a large field to infiltrate a target, so flight might not be impossible but such a smoke like thing might be a bit problematic, considering changes in body chemistry, making sure you come back together in the correct order, etc.

Darth Atrox

D
Guys, this is brilliant! Thank you very much, I'll put up a thread for learning the power, and more for becoming more adept, etc.

Can't believe I couldn't find it! cx

[member="Spencer Jacobs"] [member="Seraphina Shel'tah"] [member="Bianca"] [member="Taeli Raaf"] [member="Coren Starchaser"]

[member="Romeo Sin"]

I knew about Phase, but as the proposed idea was to turn oneself into smoke and then moving instead of making your molecules simply pass through a surface, not exactly the same thing

Rusty

Purveyor of Fine Weaponry
Well, there's always Illusion. I mean, in for a penny, in for a pound. If you're a Sith and you're gonna fly, why not make it creepy as hell? You don't actually have to smoke out.

Also, the original Anakin pulled off something like flight in Rogue Planet. It's worth noting that it's not an easy skill, and was always described as being quite tiring.

[member="Darth Atrox"]

Jsc

Disney's Princess
I remember an episode of Clone Wars Season 1 were Anakin and the Clones used a Feather Fall ability to descend into an canyon. They just jumped off a cliff and had their rate of descent soften by the Force. It wasn't exactly 'flying like Harry Potter'. But the creators of Clone Wars were very comfortable using it in the TV show.

2 cents. :)

[member="Taeli Raaf"]

Well, I believe if one can go back to watch the past (Flow Walking) and the ability to manipulate things on a molecular level (Art of Small) along with the ability to change ones face (Whatever that power is called) I doubt it would be that hard. If we can reshape things with Sith Alchemy (Sithspawn) along with extra galactic beings? The ability to Phase would be the same as turning into smoke, in order to walk through solid things you have to either A. Separate one's atoms while keeping them all in tack at the same time, and then reform them back to their original form. B. Become so dense that air goes right through you. That one ability Phase shows just how one can change their anatomy with the force. That or we can just say #SPACEMAGICS!!
And forget what little science was put into the FORCE. lol

[member="Darth Atrox"]

Going off of what [member="Spencer Jacobs"] and [member="Bianca"] said about using a pre-existing force power (telekinesis) to fly:

Ajihad does literally the exact thing you're trying to achieve here. He sort of dissipates his molecules into a black 'smoke', while using the force to keep his being intact. Then he can just sort of fly about, and reassemble himself as need be. This is all done without technically inventing a new ability.

I use this to alter his molecular structure. With some clever use of telekinesis, you can then reach the desired effect.

Hope this helps!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom