Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cleaning the Slate (Discussion on reset)

Other Space Kaiden

Better than other-other space Kaiden
Now, before anyone comes and starts flipping out at me would you kindly listen? I do not want to claim to have all the technical knowledge and know how of administering a forum, but I imagine that some type of reset is possible. Before my days as a character RPer, I participated in multiple Nation RPs where one PC would control an entire nation. On such sites, when storyline or possible conflicts began to dry out they would reset the slate and allow everyone a fresh start. Now, such a thing is much different on a site as this but I would like to open up discussion on how people would feel about such an event and how it would work.

Obviously, the staff would need to agree upon this which is the first step. After that, we move onto how it could happen with as little loss as possible. Each PC would be given a timeline in which they could save bios, techs and faction pages to word documents (or equivalent) so that it is not wiped. Staff could use this time to save any behind the scenes info that they want kept so that they do not lose everything and reconstruction is easier. After the site has been wiped is where the more complicated things start to arise. Many people have put countless posts of work into developing characters and such and getting them to let go may be an issue. I propose that anyone who does not want to completely restart their characters can invoke the "transfer" rule that allows them to maintain master rank while still starting with a fresh story. Beyond that, i'm not sure what else could be done but this IS a discussion so if you have an idea go ahead and announce it!

It is in my opinion that resets save sites, as they do with nation RPing sites. Once story starts t run dry, people start to flock away and this is why so many Star Wars sites and RPs exist. People want something new and the only way to provide that in a single site is a reset. I fear, with the current slowing of PCs, that this site is on the road to abandonment and I do not want to see that happen. I think a reset will not only renew interest but give us a higher chance to see spurts of people coming onto the site! The reset won't be without its losses, but the long-term effects will be the salvation of the site.

Let the discussion commence!

@[member="Zev Stargo"] I do not quite understand why we would need a reset?

This forum's current story has been going less than a year, and I think you'll agree we've been pretty successful in keeping things moving.

Now, had we been going 10 years then I could understand, but I don't think there's a compelling reason to reset the entire board's storyline.

I believe there could be a reset sometime, but not as you described it. I think it would be better to have an event which will result the factions to start over again without having almost any planets under their control. This way, the timeline would stay the same and everything will be cool, but a reset is made... That's my opinion.

Aye, I have been on sites that need a reset, and have been through them. I don't think there a bad thing, I just don't see us needing one at this point in time. Everyone is still active and the state of control is just interesting enough to make things interesting.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Zev Stargo said:
I fear, with the current slowing of PCs, that this site is on the road to abandonment and I do not want to see that happen.
I think we're good. Thanks though.

Not to mention that your average daily posting has been trending upwards.

Not cause for complacency, but equally it's not a cause to rush into a panicked reset which would only cause more problems than it solves.

People want something new and the only way to provide that in a single site is a reset. I fear, with the current slowing of PCs, that this site is on the road to abandonment and I do not want to see that happen.
This is a genuine surprise to me because I've not heard anyone mention this?

While there is the issue of factions surviving on just inertia rather than activity and a lack of free space on, both are solved by the simple solution of war. Scary, I know. But countries live and die through war. Beyond that, the current system can easily last as long as people find it fun without ever needing a reset.

Other Space Kaiden

Better than other-other space Kaiden
Good points all, I think hoping that the current state of things will last 10 years is a bit farfetched though. While I agree that there is still activity, it is mostly older folks or new people who come and go like water. Perhaps a reset RIGHT THIS SECOND is not the answer but I think soon something would need to be done. Again, this is just an idea and perhaps my perception of things is skewed.

I don't see why we would need to reset at this point in time. Activity is brisk and the shifting alliances make the story line, such as it is, interesting. If we ever get to the point where a bunch of stable factions claim every corner of the galaxy things might get boring, but that is not the case now.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
I think this is a good idea on paper and a terrible idea in execution, as I am about to explain.

(stop friggin' sniping me, guys, q_q)

1. People like me. I started just about 45 days ago, and I'm still working hard to make acquaintances and train, get the ball rolling, and I literally just start eligibility to apply for Major Faction status in less than 12 hours.... For all of us who worked HELLA hard and wanted to do it HELLA quick, this is a shot right in the back. We'll lose the story, lose the factions, lose everything that has barely been given a chance to live and breath. So unless it definitely and without a shadow of a doubt is allowed to carry over as is, I don't see this every working. I would want to RQ (rage quit), and I imagine others - perhaps less extensively - would feel the same.

2. While it's a great idea on paper and admittedly does wonders to engage in new stories without completely gunning down the currently hard-earned characters, you are resetting everything to a point where familiarity is now gone. Everything has to start anew, so everything we have going - the One-Year-Roleplay, the Valen War, a lot of the faction sub-events - would all be short-lived and for nothing. Unless you planned on restarting in 2015, in which case, hats off to you and I support it with such word of warning given so far ahead of time.

PS: Google the site's traffic. There's nothing wrong with it. Trust me. I administrated a site that went from thousands to only a couple dozen on a GOOD day. I'm not trying to peacock or anything, I'm just saying that that's a decline, and we are doing okay/stable.

@[member="Zev Stargo"] I never said that. I said IF the site was 10 years into a story, like others we've seen, then there might be more reason to consider this.

However, your idea is noted. If it becomes necessary it will be something considered.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Zev Stargo said:
I think hoping that the current state of things will last 10 years is a bit farfetched though.
It doesn't have to last ten years, but from what I understand, it has barely been one. Anything sooner than a full year ahead of time is too soon, imho.

Ten years for a site as well made as this is far from far fetched. There are many star wars RPs that have been around since before Episode 1, and with new Star Wars movies in the future we can only grow stronger as long as we continue to stay awesome.

Aspects of this site such as Board-Wide Events keep the story fresh and entertaining, even with transferred characters there's something new for them to sink their teeth into; I wouldn't think we required a reset in any sense of the word, the site itself is still new, we have new and eager members regularly, etc. But that's just my two cents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom