Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Character Creation Checks.

65407-great-scott-gif-j4Lp.gif

Also.. Props to you [member="Flannigan Mcnash"] for surprising me with that definition

Flannigan Mcnash said:
We aren't all special snowflakes, not everyone can write well and certainly not everyone is a good role-player.
Perhaps not, but it is better to embrace that than to shun everyone who is not. Actively help them, don't scowl and walk away. Everyone on this site has become a better writer than who they were when they joined.

My first thread,

My best post.

[member="Darth Atrophia"], and this isn't what this system does. It works at a mob mentality level, you're not a good role-play word of mouth will kill you. "Did you see that he used the force to make a man explode" and now they ostracise him, sure he may get told what he's doing is wrong and fixes it but the damage is done, he could've been helped at the character creation level.

[member="Darth Odium"], don't we do that now. Well no, I haven't seen one person tell someone their character sucks and here's how to fix it(maybe I've missed them), sure they'd say it in a kind way but even than people don't like being told they're wrong.

It's not about being a good writer, a good role-player. It's about helping them become those things and maybe making a friend along the way.

Flannigan Mcnash said:
[member="Darth Atrophia"], and this isn't what this system does. It works at a mob mentality level, you're not a good role-play word of mouth will kill you. "Did you see that he used the force to make a man explode" and now they ostracise him, sure he may get told what he's doing is wrong and fixes it but the damage is done, he could've been helped at the character creation level.

It's not about being a good writer, a good role-player. It's about helping them become those things and maybe making a friend along the way.
If that were the case a large majority of people never would have lasted a week, much less a month, writing here. I, myself - And I know I get called the "exception" to every friggin social rule I argue against existing - have done things exactly as you have mentioned, including having started a development thread for something with a minimal amount of words-to-post (which doesn't exist by the way) and it was talked about enough that someone actually came to me and told me about how people were talking about that. That's ignoring the past year of rumors and crap that circle the internet both here, skype, and elsewhere.

No, they do not ostracize the new person unless the new person tries to assert that their view is "correct" and rejects people trying to work with them. You are making a mountain out of a molehill, and trying to justify your wish to have approval processes on bios with this as your argument is most certainly not a good idea. I have stronger opinions of the many broken bios I've seen prior to people pointing such out to people, than I have ever had when I see a new writer stumble in their posts.

Everyone here is more lenient to new people, and if you and people you know aren't maybe it's time to change that.

Flannigan Mcnash said:
[member="Darth Atrophia"]

[member="Darth Odium"], don't we do that now. Well no, I haven't seen one person tell someone their character sucks and here's how to fix it(maybe I've missed them), sure they'd say it in a kind way but even than people don't like being told they're wrong.
I use the PM system when I think I can help. It keeps public embarrassment from being a thing.

I know there's really no need for another voice to jump in but look at it this way.

If you don't like someone's writing? Don't roleplay with them, simple as that. I won't lie to you; there are roleplayers I simply avoid threading with because I don't like to write with them. Does that mean I don't think they should be able to roleplay here? No, they can, just I don't want to write with them.

We all have the ability to pick and choose who we'd like to roleplay with, we do it already without thinking. Stop limiting yourselves with the notion that somehow the staff have to be involved.

[member="Lily Kirsche Kuhn"], you misunderstand I don't want the approval system I want structure. You jump to such crass conclusions, 'you' I'm not your enemy I'm not even attacking you. Take that as you wish, but as all terrible things start with a "I'm not racist but" I believe in structure and form, maybe a sub-group of the staff whos job is to look at character-creation throw advise. People are a lot likely to listen to people with assumed power, not just the random 'yuck' they just fought in a thread and is to them "Just a hater".

I won't say I know all the answers, or presume to know what other people do.. but I understand why we don't have accept and deny, it's the server life blood, people leave and you gotta replace them and the faster the better but there are problems to the system as all systems.

So lets work together, not against each-other.​

:: HERO of KORRIBAN ::
[member="Darth Immortus"]

Darth Immortus said:
No it wouldn't. A quality roleplayer should have no problem with writing a bio that conforms to the standards of the ingroup. Not to mention be able to take constructive criticism. I've done it plenty of times on other sites.
Sure it would. I once played at a site where if your force user wasn't according to the admins personal opinion you didn't get approved. That site no longer exists as it did then and admitidly implemented all my ideas after my RP partner and I resigned the board. Another board (the one where we met) also required admin approval and no longer exists either because the staff abandoned the board at the peak of its momentum.

There two example of two sites falling apart.

Not saying I'm for or against, just that you're assumption is flawed

Flannigan Mcnash said:
'you' I'm not your enemy
I speak in generalizations, generally to everyone who reads what I write. In the context of my post it meant: If you (everyone who reads the post) are with people or surrounded by people who don't agree with that notion, it might be time to surround yourself with different people.

Judah Lesan said:
Sure it would. I once played at a site where if your force user wasn't according to the admins personal opinion you didn't get approved. That site no longer exists as it did then and admitidly implemented all my ideas after my RP partner and I resigned the board. Another board (the one where we met) also required admin approval and no longer exists either because the staff abandoned the board at the peak of its momentum. There two example of two sites falling apart. Not saying I'm for or against, just that you're assumption is flawed
And there are plenty of sites which do have approval systems that are doing fine. In fact, the vast majority of boards I see on rpg-directory have approval systems. Conversely, to counter your point, there are sites with no approval systems that are tanking right now. How many posts per day does TGC have, exactly?

Darth Immortus said:
And there are plenty of sites which do have approval systems that are doing fine. In fact, the vast majority of boards I see on rpg-directory have approval systems. Conversely, to counter your point, there are sites with no approval systems that are tanking right now. How many posts per day does TGC have, exactly?
The point is that it would only do more harm than good to have such a change to the board now. Sure, it'd cut out the "undesirables" that you don't want to deal with, or force them to conform their bios to a standardized template enforced by the staff, but that doesn't mean it'll become an utopia. Nor does any one member of the staff agree on what is quality and desirable or not.

Elitism is bad. Don't care how you try to spin it, it will remain such.

Jsc

Disney's Princess
Anja Aj'Rou said:
This thread is getting pretty flamey. :|
Understandable.

It's a tough subject to approach. Especially among old timers. The longer you've been playing games on the Internet? The better chance you've had of having a really bad experience, (or a really good experience,) with Character Approvals. Like [member="Judah Lesan"] mentioned. These things stick with you. It's rough. First, fictionally yeah. First world problems. But second, emotionally too. A battle of wills, so to speak. So yeah. It's a funny subject with a rough history. But I sorta understand where the frustration comes from and I'm glad we have such a diverse forum to talk about it in. :D

Anja Aj'Rou said:
If you don't like someone's writing? Don't roleplay with them, simple as that. I won't lie to you; there are roleplayers I simply avoid threading with because I don't like to write with them. Does that mean I don't think they should be able to roleplay here? No, they can, just I don't want to write with them. We all have the ability to pick and choose who we'd like to roleplay with, we do it already without thinking. Stop limiting yourselves with the notion that somehow the staff have to be involved.
Fair enough, but this utterly defeats the purpose of rejecting an approval system on the basis that it's too exclusive. Like I said previously, exclusion is going to happen no matter what. The only thing you can possibly control is whether it happens before a writer hits a thread, or after.

Lily Kirsche Kuhn said:
If that were the case a large majority of people never would have lasted a week, much less a month, writing here.

Personally, I think there exists such a thing as an approval system that does not have to resort to Soviet-style despotism. Balance is necessary. Writers here, especially those used to the TGC-style system, hear approval system and they immediately think that it'll be a mountain of oppressive rules which will forever prevent them from roleplaying their characters. There is such a thing as balance, and what I'm talking about are simple standards of roleplaying which all players - presumably - can agree upon.

Yes, the conversation is academic now since 30 months in the site is not going to adopt such a policy, meaning that all existing characters would have to be approved. That's not practical.

I also remind people to remain civil in discussions. Debate is fine, but aggression is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom