Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Character Creation Checks.

It is only my humble opinion. But approval systems are the lesser of the two systems. :)

both have their pros and cons, but the system in place here is far more inviting and lends to open creativity. Which surely is what the idea of this place is. :)

Nyxie said:
It's not a matter of practicality but of freedom and the expectation that we don't need to be babysat by individuals who are by no means authorities. They're just like us, however, they are just the maintenance crew. People have this skewed view of them like they're the firing squad, judge, jury, et cetera.
There is a heirarchy whether you like it or not. As I've said, the staff are staff because their opinions are valued above the average member. And yes, this comes with the ability to judge you. Hence "Roleplay JUDGE". If you don't follow the rules you will be banned. If you godmode in your posts then you will be asked to change it. Judgment happens all the time, and judgment is a good thing. It's a part of law and order. What you're suggesting is basically moral relativism applied to a RP board, which is not only not how this board operates, but can only result in pure chaos. Pun intended?

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Flannigan Mcnash said:
Lets break this down, it 'may'. And also there's the salt of the wounds, tell me you don't get angry when someone power games you destroying your carefully made paragraphs that you slaved over, if you don't you're a better person than a lot of others and you must relies a normal non-Utopia person would sneak nasty jabs and cruel words. And no one likes to be told that they're wrong so it goes vice versa especially someone they could dub just as a sore looser. Than you report them to the staff if that fails, now you'll spend more time on this. And will you do this everytime someone power games, god I'd hang myself so you stop going through the channels and you just let them do as they may, they could very much listen and be polite but the what ifs, should I risk myself? The answer is yes but will I.
I'll be frank.

If someone is giving me poodoo about a jumble of words on a screen written completely in leisure, and this upsets me enough to motivate me to action, then I have placed value in something that virtually has none, and I am the fool. The point of PBP roleplaying is to make your post and enjoy what you've written. If you're being agitated by someone over a post and can't settle the dispute or ignore it (and them) and simply and politely move on, then you aren't enjoying the roleplaying game.

I don't have time to get angry over that because it's a game, not a life simulator. It doesn't need politicking of staff and member, and shouldn't merit more frustration than the effort it took to formulate in the first place.

Good roleplay is exactly how you said; when one has played their role or that of their character well, they are.

Nyxie

【夢狐】
Darth Immortus said:
There is a heirarchy whether you like it or not. As I've said, the staff are staff because their opinions are valued above the average member. And yes, this comes with the ability to judge you. Hence "Roleplay JUDGE". If you don't follow the rules you will be banned. If you godmode in your posts then you will be asked to change it. Judgment happens all the time, and judgment is a good thing. It's a part of law and order. What you're suggesting is basically moral relativism applied to a RP board, which is not only not how this board operates, but can only result in pure chaos. Pun intended?
You are avoiding the big point entirely though.

They are the average member, that has gone above and beyond what is expected of the average member so that they might enlighten those who are still considered "average" to eventually attain the same status and level of understanding that they have. They're not here to judge and they're not here to regulate; they're here to teach. The only reason they even need to judge at all is because we have proven time and time again that we are incapable of separating the value of a post from our personal lives, and end up disputing over a mere game.

Anyways, what you're suggesting is bringing in politics to a game. As I said before, it's a game, not a life simulator. This should be the antithesis of reality, and all to often, we forget just how surreal it is and apply realistic values to an otherwise virtually meaningless world designed purely for leisure. This is the very essence of roleplaying boards, in fact, and if one cannot find leisurely enjoyment in that game, then it truly has no value to them.

If I may be so crude, you're basically trying to imply that we cut the enjoyment from those you see as below your measure of standard because it impairs your own ability to enjoy the game. That means you're not playing to enjoy it, you're playing to succeed in a world where, ultimately success has no value.

That is where the argument is flawed, though I can sympathize with your take on the matter.

[member="Coci Heavenshield"], I'll make this personal, I know it's scary but there is a you and I behind every screen and every little one of us matters, and isn't a product of our environment and biology and there isn't countless others that are closely similar to that upbringing in a world of millions that follows patterns.

I attend a TAFE(kinda like a university but practical based rather than theoretical), I study Graphic Design and we share the block with the art students, I see every once a week a change in the gallery from photos, sculptures, paintings, and drawings. Now to understand why I bring that up you must understand there has been a backlash to conformity in recent times that has given rise to contemporary art, which had just came off the coat-tails of modernism and Psychedelic Art, the two lacking many of the regulations of their predecessors like Art Deco and Art Nouveau. And now I see in the Campus gallery a rise in Art Oddities like piss in a bottle with a cross, and the ever infamous black dots on a canvas, and they are given meaning by the view of the observer. A master may be able to do something with absolute freedom but the student..

So my point is take that view away and it's still just piss in a bottle, and that with role-playing just bad writing. Restriction isn't the killer of creativity it's just a form the creativity takes.​
[member="Nyxie"]​

it's a , not a life simulator. This should be the antithesis of reality, and all to often, we forget just how surreal it is and apply realistic values to an otherwise virtually meaningless world designed purely for leisure. This is the very essence of roleplaying boards, in , and if one cannot find leisurely enjoyment in that game, then it truly has no value to them.
It is exactly for leisure that people get angry, it is their free time that they put into this and that is their most precious time. They decide were it goes and where the endless possibilities take them, so when someone comes along and mars the value of their time they're expectantly angry.​
[member="Javek Tysis"]​
"Don’t fix it, if it ain't broke." said the caveman to the second, the other turned to him and said. "But the square doesn't roll."​
And no progress was made.​

When I first started here, I came from a World of Warcraft RP server. Making the transition from MMORPG style role-plays to forum based role-play was really hard. I wasn't used to writing in full paragraphs, describing my surroundings, my clothes, what I looked like, or every bit of thought and body language. As a result of this, when I first started my very first character's bio was mess, my posts were typically one to two lines, and I had a hard time with descriptions. This was over a year ago. Now I can write at least a single full paragraph for my posts on average, my bios are much more detailed and aren't as hard for me to write, and I have even gone as far as making a planet and several species. (Hopefully with more on the way.) If we had an approval system though, when I first began playing here, I likely wouldn't have made it past the approval system. I was terrible. However, with the help of others and with practice I got much better.

If we shun people for issues like the ones I had, or get rid of them with an approval system, it can prevent great role-players from even existing. It takes time and practice to get good at anything. When you first learned to write did your letters look flawless and were all your words spelled correctly? Role-playing is just like any other skill or activity. It takes time to get good. If we deprive people of the chance to practice and better themselves, we'd be missing out on some potentially great writers. You can't dismiss or shun someone for having a bad start, or a lack of experience. It's not fair, it's quite rude, and it deprives them of a chance to potentially thrive at something they love doing. [member="Darth Immortus"]

I made this writer account before I realized that it would show up the same way as a character account. The first time I became a Factory Judge, I wanted to request a pair of rank tags, but needed 50 posts and a bio before I could request rank tags.

So I made myself a bio.

Very godzilla-ish.

I was promptly contacted by staff and notified that I would need to submit my species through the Species Codex/Factory before I would be allowed to roleplay with this character.

The rules have been fuddled a bit since then, and this character was never intended to be used in actual roleplay...

But it didn't bother me a bit to be asked.
And, honestly, I haven't seen many character bios that would get anything other than rubber stamped.

Nyxie said:
You are avoiding the big point entirely though.

They are the average member, that has gone above and beyond what is expected of the average member so that they might enlighten those who are still considered "average" to eventually attain the same status and level of understanding that they have. They're not here to judge and they're not here to regulate; they're here to teach. The only reason they even need to judge at all is because we have proven time and time again that we are incapable of separating the value of a post from our personal lives, and end up disputing over a mere game.

Anyways, what you're suggesting is bringing in politics to a game. As I said before, it's a game, not a life simulator. This should be the antithesis of reality, and all to often, we forget just how surreal it is and apply realistic values to an otherwise virtually meaningless world designed purely for leisure. This is the very essence of roleplaying boards, in fact, and if one cannot find leisurely enjoyment in that game, then it truly has no value to them.

If I may be so crude, you're basically trying to imply that we cut the enjoyment from those you see as below your measure of standard because it impairs your own ability to enjoy the game. That means you're not playing to enjoy it, you're playing to succeed in a world where, ultimately success has no value.

That is where the argument is flawed, though I can sympathize with your take on the matter.
This.

As I see it, we're all adults (mostly) and have a brain (again, mostly!)...and I like to think we know the boundaries of character creation for a SW RP site.

No 100ft mutated Wampas, no hulking 4 armed Sith Lords who can move mountains in their sleep with NO history of training....etc.

I like to think it allows us, as many say, to be creative and not feel our imagination is restrained having an authority figure breathing down our necks to decide what they deem is acceptable.

It's a good communal spirit where we all, the players in this big game, comment and advise and feedback on characters so we can help those who may have stepped over the line a little, without feeling that they are making mistakes or knock their confidence.

I like the way it is, and it does free up the time to get straight into RP and avoid having Staff slog through character creations to approve or not.

g22X0dQ.jpg

Flannigan Mcnash said:

[member="Javek Tysis"]​
"Don’t fix it, if it ain't broke." said the caveman to the second, the other turned to him and said. "But the square doesn't roll."​
And no progress was made.​

Nah, that alteration of the quote doesn’t quite pertain here. The way the character creation works right now is just fine for what the site is and represents. Needing to be approved beforehand is just silly sauce. And let's be honest, the site has been thriving for years now without the need of bio approvement.

So yes. "Don't fix it, if it ain't broke."

There's no need to ruin everyone's fun.

For any of the new writers that come in, we do in fact have a Feedback and Critiques section to Chaos already. And there are many other long-standing members or new-to-Chaos-but experienced vets to the medium who devote a portion of their free time to assisting these folks with improving their craft. That friendly offering of help and the desire to improve one's craft already has the possibility to flourish. Adding something additional seems, to me, to be redundant.

It is important to note that the freedom for excellence is just as important as the freedom for imperfection. Without the ability to make mistakes, how is one supposed to learn? And if there are people who are perfectly content with what their style of rp is now, why should we force them to change? Isn't this all about having fun? Why should we tell someone what is or isn't fun?

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKTl1XScwd0[/media]​

What I see from this thread is that the folks who would like something more offered in terms of structure for character creation is that they hold themselves to a standard. And that is phenomenal. I hold myself to a standard, and that helps from allowing my skills from regressing, skills garnered over the course of my rp career (which began when I was terrible and naive). It also helps me to continue to improve in whatever way I can (something which hasn't slowed down since joining Chaos, simply because there are less experienced or more casual writers around me).

But you have to keep in mind that there isn't a consistent standard for everyone. We have a massive quantity of writers here. They're all on Chaos for their own purposes. Some like putting up a paragraph at a time. For some, English isn't their first language. Others like the OOC community more than participating in the IC. Why dictate what quality is appropriate or not?

It just comes back to fun for me. Are ya havin' fun? I'm havin' fun. We can't make everyone happy, that's just not possible. But we can bloody well try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom