Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Character Approval.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we should have some-form of character approval system, and that Admins or RPJs should look into it. I mean, so we don't end up with say, a clone trooper that survived order 66 (Which would mean hes WELL over 600 years in our storyline[correct me if I am wrong]), or a Sith or Jedi that's bio expands to around that era.

Point being, might need some character approval system. (Granit, my characters's bios are slightly outdated, I just post important events, not what happens in every thread)

This might be shotdown, but I atleast want some views on it. I also did not check archives or anything like that for this matter, so please don't hate on me for asking a question that has already been resolved. I also know that this might hurt the community, but it might help to sort out the people who don't know shit (Myself, I only know the movies+Kotor1, and still have to ask my dear friend for what stuff is!), that want to Rp as said race or have this background.

Aeizori-Mei Kaeirosae said:
I mean, so we don't end up with say, a clone trooper that survived order 66 (Which would mean hes WELL over 600 years in our storyline[correct me if I am wrong]).

james-franco-eyes.gif

[member="Aeizori-Mei Kaeirosae"]
I find it odd that we have had alot of people claiming to have been frozen since order 66 and such, and without a plausible introduction thread to have said characters thawed they seemingly just appeared randomly.

So yea, I sorta agree.. put restrictions on it or something.

We already have a bunch of those.

Personally, I like the system we have currently. It's easy to make a character to jump right in, and it's even easier to regulate because if someone has a problem with someone's bio, chances are that one of the hundreds of people on the board is going to let them know very clearly.

The bios are essentially community approved. If the community doesn't noticing anything wrong with your character, you're scot free. If it becomes a problem, then staff get's involved, but only when neccissary.

Trying to allocate resources from staff to regulate character creation would be suicide with Cira alone... :p

The community does a good job at aiding with the whole making-sure-things-fit-and-aren't-OP thing, without having to put further strain on the Staffing team who already do a tonne of work around the site - most of which goes unseen.

If you see someone who's throwing around lightning as a newly made Sith Acolyte, then you're welcome to calmly talk to them about it, PM being the best call so as not to shame them. This has been exercised numerous times across the board by older members.

I personally don't believe we have need for an Approval system.

EDIT: The whole lightning thing was an example, I know you're on about timeline issues but it's all in the same ballpark.

[member="Kage"]
I only read biographies that catch my attention, and alot of those 600+ year old "frozen" jedi/sith and troopers don't exactly stand out in a crowd.. so yea, forgive me for not giving a crap about their biographies.

[member="Mallory Pryde"]

You're hostility has scared the Kage out of my posts.

[member="Aeizori-Mei Kaeirosae"] Not so much a bad idea, the issues you point out are still valid. But the community has and will let people know if somethings not right.

[member="Zambrano the Hutt"] and [member="Kobe Seren"] are prime examples. There are plenty more who will help too.

Bunker-level Normal
There's a critical mass of good players here that, I feel, makes this unnecessary. I've seen sites overrun with poor writers who will let just about anything in. It's not about character approval at all, it's about the quality of existing writers.

So long as Chaos maintains a good base of writers, a formal character approval system will only ever be icing on the cake.

No one's saying it's a bad idea, we're simply giving you the debate you wanted - on a site such as Chaos, there are a lot of things to take into consideration when suggesting a change as big as this: would it be retroactive? If so, that's a TONNE of work for the Staff Team. It's also a ridiculously fast paced environment, and as a result would likely end up with the need for number-of-characters-per-writer limits. If you've seen how badly the Factory can get clogged up during a busy season, then that's nothing compared to the workload that a Character Approval Team would be facing.

This notion clashes with the idea Chaos was founded upon. Of the numerous factors that make this site successful, the ability to dive in Day One is easily one of the most important.

That said, it's no secret that the second a character biography is posted, 10,000 people view it. All the major factions are looking to recruit, which means the best and brightest that Chaos has to offer are staring at the biographies. If there's anything implausible or outlandish, people say something without hesitation.

Oh, and we've got a report button. It's a thing of Magic.

I think there are races in the Star Wars universe that last several hundred years and there are a few that aren't banned. I do think that there should a regulation on some things and people tend to do things like exaggerate or overpower their character in their bio and stuff before even RPing.

I feel people do a grand job of pointing out flaws in other's bios and character sheets. Most new people don't understand the site's timeline and when they are politely informed of it, they change it to reflect it without a whine or debate. An approval system by the Staff would essentially overwork them.

However, I do believe in regards to new FU characters there should be some sort of list that reflects what their character can and cannot know with each rank. I'm not claiming there should be a HUGE list of FA but only those that are deemed to powerful to learn. Example: A Padawan/Acolyte should never know Battle Meditation.

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"]

No species is banned due to their lifespan, as a heads up; we have characters that were brought over to Chaos during its founding from an entirely different site and story/timeline.

The concept of being cryogenically frozen and then thawed at a later date is also not too unfamiliar with Star Wars lore. There are species' canonly who lived for millennia; why would it seem so alien for there to be a 600 year old clone if they were enhanced with the same longevity as one of these? Likewise, player made species' are able to live for many times the lifespan of a human. (If we're directly attacking the main issue in the OP about ancient characters)

[member="Aeizori-Mei Kaeirosae"]

You all make valid points

[member="Yuroic Xeraic"]

I understand this, and being frozen in time or something like that.

[member="Isley Verd"]

Yes, but what about people who are lazy and don't want to read them, and the ones who do read them just turn their heads because said writer is in a 'group'. So to speak.

It's not bad. There are just people who don't agree with you, which is fine.

Same goes for RP characters. If you don't like the way someone is writing their person, then don't rp with them. Or, you could send them a PM with a little bit of friendly advice on what they could do to help their story make more sense, while also taking the opportunity to point out what you liked about their character as well.

All in all, I don't really think it's necessary to have an official 'approval' system. Don't fix what ain't broke.

[member="Darth Venefica"]

Technically, you're supposed to list the Force Powers you know, as per the Character Creation Rules:

YOUR CHARACTER'S ITEMS

A. All kinds of ships, providing they are reasonable, are welcome.

B. All powers and abilities your character has learned must be stated in his/her Character Profile.

For the most part, this is adhered to. Newer members tend to overlook it, however, as there's no biography module/header/w.e for it.

Again this is another thing that is policed by we the people, instead of the staff, and tends to be more of a reactive thing. There's a new Jedi Padawan throwing around Force Healing? Or even going so far as to use Force Light? We calmly let them know that they ought to hold off until they're more experienced and in turn have the relevant training for it.

It also depends on everyone's perceptions of the Force, in this regard - Sources tell different tales of how difficult Powers are to learn, and it also varies depending on the severity of the usage. I see nothing wrong with a trained Jedi Padawan utilizing a mild case of Battle Meditation - providing they've prior experience with it - to boon one or two individuals.

Now, if they start using it excessively? I'd call them out on it. But these sorts of things differ from character to character; some are naturally better at some aspects than others, just as we see with Canon characters. Not everyone is going to have Telekinetic abilities like Star Killer, but it doesn't mean they can't have a natural affinity towards it. It's all about balancing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom