Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changing a Restricted Metal Objective? - Beskar

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
After seeing the increasing volume of "Mandos beat me up plz" threads in the RP Discussion Forums, I'm beginning to wonder if we should reassess the Restricted Metal Objective for Beskar which reads:

"Beskar (( [SIZE=10pt]Objective:[/SIZE] Perform a mining operation, a raid, an excavation, or steal to obtain Mandalorian Iron Ore from any of the following planets: Mandalore, Concordia –OR— suffer a devastating defeat at the hands of a Mandalorian character. Characters belonging to the Major Faction whose influence covers Mandalore and/or Concordia are exempt from fulfilling this objective. ))"

The mining operation, raid, excavation, and/or theft idea is sound and is fine. It's doable and has a fair/balanced chance of passing or failing. It also encourages writers to be creative in how they do it all together. I've even seen folks band together for a restricted metal mining thread as a joint effort. It works out.

What I'm looking at mainly is the "Devastating defeat" by a Mando character. I think in the past month or two I've seen a dozen requests for a Mandalorian to show up and kick someone's ass so they can have beskar. It's literally throwing a fight for a reward and the quality of some of these threads shows it. We had one guy get punched in the face for a devastating defeat and, even if it was a literal devastating defeat, it's still a deliberately thrown fight. Also, from an IC and logic perspective, it doesn't make sense from what I can see. If you lose a fight to a Mandalorian, wouldn't you technically lose everything you have? Mandos are known for taking an enemy's personal effects as trophies, including scalps. So far, I haven't seen any bald characters walking around after losing a fight to a Mando or losing their kit and weapons to one that took them as trophies.

So, here's what I propose. Reverse the objective. Instead of losing a fight to a Mandalorian, I think it should be winning a fight against a Mandalorian. Logically, it makes sense. You take the beskar from them whether in weapon or armor for to be remade or to step over their unconscious and bleeding body to go take the ore itself. You'll see less "Mandos come kick my ass" threads in the RP section and you'd also make Beskar that much more valuable to non-Mandos/Those not holding Mandalore the planet.

Thoughts?

[11:22:39 PM] aterfeles: "devastating defeat" IE, lost a limb or was beat into a bloody pulp and left near-dead. If it's something you limped away from after taking a few hits it's not devastating. This point needs to get across
[11:23:35 PM] Popo: Aye, but most people are doing the "he broke my nose and knocked me out in a barfight soooo.... beskar plz? kthxbai"
[11:23:47 PM] Popo: And, logically, it makes no sense to me
[11:23:55 PM] Popo: But I went over that in the thread already
[11:24:18 PM] aterfeles: and those should be denied as any irishman's slow saturday night
[11:24:27 PM] Popo: Oh aye

That all said, I agree 100% and not very many people volunteer to get their butt handed to them. Not more than once anyways. It makes a thread suitably awesome or creative enough to merit what many see to be the best metal around and also makes the mandos have to keep on their toes and fight for their rep rather than getting it handed to them with every thrown fight.

Popo

I'm Sexy and I Know It
Just a few examples on how bad it's gotten.

Here
There
Here, too
Everywhere

Also, as a guy with a Mandalorian main character, I'd rather earn my rep than get handed a thrown fight. Flipping this around would make the Mandos, and folks trying to be Mandos, earn the title of Mandalorian.

So, in essence, I agree with [member="Domino"] lol

Of course that might encourage power gaming and forcing hits as people are often unwilling to take devastation otherwise. It's also encouraging both sides to loose with the only difference being if you want cortosis or phrik.
I see the Beskar one as fair though because mandos have been getting a free pass on it before. Now they become a target for that 'free' armor. Which to be fair they kinda were in cannon too, I remember Boba Fett purposefully killing at least one person because they had mando armor that he wanted.

[member="Popo"] The heck did you do? I got 5 notifications for that post.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
I'm ambivalent on this; do what you will. This way we have people looking for thrown fights; the other way we have more powergaming and forced victories and bad sportsmanship. Karked if you do, karked if you don't.

Exactly what I was thinking, was very close myself to brining this up. And me being a mando makes it a little bit worse that another Mandalorian would agree to "punch me once and I get knocked out" so yea, I agree to this. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom