Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Public Can you fix a "Broken Gate"? (Open to Jedi)

Be careful what you wish for.

REDEMPTION IS NEVER OUT OF REACH...
53950.gif

Equipment: Conservator(Lightsaber), Vanguard(Backup Lightsaber)
Comm-link, Rebreather, Custom Robes
Starship: Starlight Sentinel
Companion: Astromech R01R - "Roller", Pilot droid Mu51c - "Music"
Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan , Milya Vondar Milya Vondar (both unless specified)
Open to 2 Jedi of any faction
As the morning sun rose over the Wroshyr trees of Kashyyk, Caltin had things set up for an outside lesson. This was his class, not simply a “Silver” or “Jedi” class, it was his, it was his interpretation, it was his way of teaching. There would be more than theory, more than simply practice, it would be something that hopefully those who attended would take with them in the field. There would be times that simply learning a kata, or simple strikes would not help them in the field, battles are not the same as spars and did not go by the book.​
This ungawdly hour was one where most Jedi, most sentients as a whole were only just waking up, Caltin had been up for a couple of hours already. After setting up the training droids, as well as several Mu ren Zhuang, the big guy settled on one of his own once he was finished and had eaten breakfast. Any of the approaching Jedi would see him practicing kicks and strikes with speed and power, he was focused on this not to ignore anyone or show off, but to warm up.​
...YOU JUST HAVE TO REACH FOR IT.
svjbudd.png

Beltran arrived for the class, showing up a few minutes early. He sipped a steaming cup of caf as he watched Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor finish setting up. Like the Jedi, Beltran had already been up for more than an hour. Military life didn't often make for late sleepers. Clad in his Paladin Company BDU's, Beltran scanned the various training droids and other items that the Jedi Master had set up.

"Master Vanagor," Beltran acknowledged when he was able to make eye contact with the much larger man, inclining his head a little as a gesture of respect. He had recently participated in an operation on the Rimworld of Circumtore in which Jedi Vanagor had provided him with valuable intelligence that had saved his life. The Jedi had also engaged Valco the Hutt, allowing Beltran and Team Paladin to direct those civilians they had been able to save away from the palace before it exploded.

For a man that Beltran didn't know much about, it had certainly been a good first impression. That was why he was here today, as much as anything. He saw a capability in the master that he didn't often see in Jedi and that made him want to learn from the man. "Captain Rarr," He said introducing himself formally. "Antarian Rangers. I want to thank you for allowing me to join this class today. Is there anything you need help with?"

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

aSITfd.jpg

Equipment: Jedi Robes, Jax's Lightsaber
BB-12 was in the repair station much to Jax's amusement and annoyance he was worried about Aveline Cuiléin Aveline Cuiléin when she was dumped into the Bacta Tank. Jax was worried as well but BB-12 was rolling around, cursing out medical officials causing them to kick both of them out. When Aveline was woke up, BB-12 was so happy he began to whirr and bounce around to the point where he began to malfunction and explode causing an entire room to be caught on fire. Thankfully no one was hurt and Jax got a reprimand but BB-12 was going to be out of commission of a few days which will delay his trip to Gaias.​
Now here he was waiting in the temple for Caltin, he heard that he was teaching some forbidden techniques and he was only going to choose a handful of students. Jax was a little hesitant at first but considering his failure at Korriban and the fact that Aveline was in the hospital because of him Jax needed to start training to arm himself with the knowledge necessary to protect Aveline and make sure that he would never harm her again because he was blinded by rage. The memory still seared into his mind seeing Pom Stych Tivé Pom Stych Tivé switch places with Aveline while Jax was charging with murderous intent. He wanted to blame her for what happened but in reality he gave into anger, it was the first to come as an answer and when he took it gave him great strength at cost of clarity.​
Maybe Caltin could start healing the wounds Jax sustained from that battle to start the path of recovery. The stubborn coconut could give him the answers necessary to be a better teacher and a master for Aveline. At least he hoped so.​

55491.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes, inherited lightsaber, light-filtering lenses, Hush-style comlink, aquata breather, liquid-cable launcher, stim pills, nutrient/food pack​
Like Caltin and Beltran, Des was up early. She didn't sleep much, and a touch of the Force was better than any stimulant. Though she made sure to get good, healthy sleep when she needed it. Caltin would know she was off on a run, as she tended to do laps around and through the roots of the wrosyr tree the Silver Rest was built under and around. The loop took her well away from the complex and back around. It allowed her to burn off energy and train, as she never ran on just raw ability anymore. Everything was training. Half the time she ran blindfolded, relying on her Sense and Sight in the Force. She Jumped and Leaped, and used her Speed to cover a lot of ground in very little time, while also building her endurance. Running had been a chore in the early days of training. Now, running was a challenge and a joy in its own way as she flowed and moved through the under jungle.

As Jax appeared nearby and Beltran was introducing herself the pale padawan was approaching at a brisk walk with a pastry in one hand as she ate, and a large insulated mug that steamed through a small port in the lid. This she took a quick swig of and then finished off the nominal breakfast. Seeing the Antarian Ranger, she gave him a nod. She recognized him from the mission to Circumtore and also the combat footage from Nar Kreeta. "Captain Rarr," she greeted him. Her voice was a pleasant mezzo, and seemingly soft, almost airy. And as she spoke there was a lilting and flowing accent and amnner to them. She offered him her hand. "Thank you for your service and I'm so sorry for you and your unit's losses at Nar Kreeta. I wasn't there, but I feel like it after watching all the combat footage I could get my hands on, and in some simulations." Watching that battle, seeing it from so many angles, it was a horror show, but she'd learned, and already had submitted some ways to the Artificers to help with the next conflicts like it. Watching it left her feeling exhausted, bleak, and empty. She knew and seen a number of his men make the ultimate sacrifice.

Jax she recognized from the battle at Sepan. "Master Thio, good to see you again," she said, offering her free hand. "I haven't seen Aveline in a bit. ... Not since Ilum, actually. How is she?" Concern for her friend and fellow padawan radiated from her. The girls had been through a few scrapes and a number of classes together, and Des found her presence comforting. As soon as she asked though, she sensed that was who was in the hospital facilities and who he worried over. But why repairs? Didn't he have a droid? Did his droid buddy blow a motivator or something?

Turning toward Master Vanagor, she recognized most of the implements. Some things reminded her of the original enclave she'd trained at. But also of home, of the Gran that taught her how to fight and defend herself. They used the same kind of dummy but in a different way. Locks and limb destructions were a significant portion of what she'd learned. Mostly wrists and elbows, as well as disarms. De-fanging The Snake, they'd called it. What little information she'd been able to find on Broken Gate suggested there would be similarities. And some also significant differences. What she learned already had takedowns or throws, a lot of stick and knife work. It taught those principles for unarmed using all the same angles, principles, and thought processes. She supposed she had to be grateful, it made learning lightsaber combat, especially Shii-Cho so much faster in the beginning. But she hadn't had much training unarmed since. And only a few spars and never got to use those skills. She was probably rusty, and this was going to build on top of them.

"Morning," she chirped while adjusting her light-filtering lenses sitting on top of her head. She made sure her hair was still pulled back into a need, tight ponytail, then went to deftly braid the tail portion. "I think Milya should be here in a few, if she's not changed her mind." Normally she wouldn't presume to speak for anyone, but her roommate and fellow apprentice had enough proximity and familiarity she felt she had an accurate idea of what was likely.
zJxNdnE.png

53950.gif

He wasn’t paying attention to any of them at the moment as Caltin was almost finished with his warm-up. In fact anyone who caught his inner thoughts would see the memory he was reliving, he was a young Knight, brash and strong and battling a Sith Lord who was a shapeshifter. The Sith kept changing forms and altering attacks, Caltin had spent much of the battle on the defensive and had a difficult time keeping up. He was reliving this, going over the unarmed war and going over what he might have done differently.

Normally the massive Jedi Master would not dwell on the past (heh, yeah right) in such a manner, but this was the moment and reason he took to take up, learn, and master the art of Broken Gate. He did not take these lessons to fight, that would have been a self-defeating prophecy and he was not going to let himself go down that road. He wanted to do so, but he would not let himself procure his wants at the time. No, he did not do this for aggressive reasons, but to better himself as a Jedi…

… as a person.

The intensity picked up heavily for the last few moves until finally an open-handed right hook sent the top pegs of the training dummy spinning furiously. Taking a few deep breaths with his hands on his knees, Caltin stood erect and offered a firm handshake to the Force Sensitive Ranger.

Glad you’re here, Captain. I’ve heard good things about you and your men. Thank you for pulling many of our Jedi butts out of the fire. He said with a grin and a wink. Don’t worry, we’re good here, just enjoy your caf, feel free, and get some refills. He pointed to the beverage/healthy snack tables, and enjoy the class. Hopefully, Commander Mueller of Omega Squad will be able to come, he's not Force Sensitive, but there is enough he would be able to take with him. I sent the offer but last I knew he was on Commenor conducting trials of new potentials.

That was a depressing recollection, the memory being of Tol Amn, Omega Squad lost three of its members in defense of him and Desbre. The possibility came with the job, and none of them offered any regrets, but the toll on all of them was obvious. Caltin could only hope that they would take those memories as inspiration and make them better.

Yes, he saw Jax standing inside the Temple, why? He did not know and would not pry, that was for the young Knight to deal with and a path he must take. If the guy asked him for advice or assistance, Caltin would give it, but that was up to him. With a sigh, he waved for Thio to come down to where he and Captain Rarr were, there was no need to not come down if he was going to be partaking in the class. Sure, he was of the Galactic Alliance, but the big guy wasn’t going to hold that against him.

I should argue with you about making that comment, but it was just too funny.

Then Desbre showed up having finished her laps around the various trees. She looked to be in good spirits, and that was good to see. The Arkanian had been having some problems lately and did not bring them to him. He would not pry though, it was her own burden to bear. All he could do is be there when and if she was ready to talk about it.

Hey, kid. Don’t worry. We’re still waiting on some, so she has time. How’re you doing? The question is simple enough.
svjbudd.png

When Dagos arrived at the training grounds yawning and rubbing the sleep from his eyes he found that he was not the first arrival. He wasn't surprised. Sure it was early but Dagos knew that many of the Jedi of the order liked to get a head start on the day. Dagos liked to sleep but there was no doing for that today because he had come to learn some Jedi combat style. Dagos teacher Ryuchi Ryo had encouraged him to learn as many things as he could from anyone that he could if he, Dagos Terrek, wanted to be a true Jedi Knight.

The young Karuni boy had for the most part blown off that advice using his free time to mostly...be free. He was fourteen and studies bored him so he liked to find ways to get in trouble. But ever since the incident with the stolen liquor at the life day party Dagos had tried to be on his best behaviour when he was at the silver rest.

Twigs and dead leaves crunched under the weight of Dagos’ Nyke Aer Zoom 7’s. They were the latest and best in athletic shoes, his were black and white and matched the rest of his ‘fit. Black bocaball shorts on top of white compression pants that covered his legs all the way down, on the top half of his body he wore a white long-sleeve compression shirt that at the moment was hidden by a light hooded sweatshirt, worn to combat the morning chill.

Dagos didn’t know any of the people here so he sort of just hung off to the side, grateful for the caf that was available. He poured himself a steaming cup of the black liquid, adding some brown sugar and taking a careful sip.

‘Ahhh’ he let out a satisfactory noise as he sipped his well constructed caf. Beyond not knowing the other people here, he realized he was the youngest...by a lot. There seemed to be some familiarity between the others that had showed up for the class. A mountain of a man seemed to be the center of everyone’s attention so Dagos presumed him to be the one leading the class, there was another older man, well older than him, who was there covered in cybernetics and looking like someone you didn’t kark around with. Was he a Jedi too? Rounding out the group of people nearest to Dagos was a young woman with her hair up in a pony with a braid signifying she like himself was still a padawan despite definitely being older than him.

Dagos stayed out of the way as he waited for the class to begin. He didn’t want to bother any of the adults who were catching up.

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan Jax Thio Jax Thio Beltran Rarr Beltran Rarr

55491.gif

Equipment: Simple Jedi Robes, inherited lightsaber, light-filtering lenses, Hush-style comlink, aquata breather, liquid-cable launcher, stim pills, nutrient/food pack​
Des sat her mug to the side, then stretched out a hand, calling the arm portions of the wooden dummy that went flying back, directing them to settle at the base. Easy to find, but out of the way, not a tripping or fall hazard. At Caltin's question, she shrugged. "Not bad, actually," she said, nodding. Ilum had brought a change over the padawan, and she seemed lighter and freer. Some of the burdens on her soul were lifted, chains broken.

As Dagos approached, Des gave him a small smile. The braid was of the tail end of the main gathering of her hair, rather than a padawan braid. That was a tradition she'd never observed, only noted in the days of the Republic, before the Jedi Purges of the First Galactic Empire. Mostly it seemed she wanted to keep those snow-white strands neat and orderly.

Watching Dagos get into the caf and doctor it up the way he wanted drew another smile, especially his notable enjoyment of the concoction. Leaning over she grabbed her mug of tea and took another long draught from it. "Better," she asked the teenager, then offered her hand. "I'm Desbre, or Des for short."

Moving to sit, she went to stretching, twisting and turning, leaning, reaching, pulling, and more. She'd loosened up for the morning run, and she was almost always was springy with the way she trained. But expecting today to be hard on her joints, with the locks, throws, and falls.... she'd need it. No need to get hurt because she didn't prepare.

Looking up at Caltin when she could, she chatted amicably. "The spot I got shot in at Circumtore is still a little tender, but shouldn't be an issue. I think, anyway. You seem to be doing alright though," she said gesturing toward the big man. "Or is there something else..." she trailed off, jerking her chin toward the broken pieces of the dummy. It seemed the twenty-something was indeed in a good mood, if not a good place mentally. Especially in comparison to some of the darker, stormy moments Caltin had witnessed over recent days. Anyone who had known her for a while might have thought it an act, but her body language was loose and relaxed. She was comfortable if not relatively happy, and a little listening through the Force bore that out. Though concern also drifted through as she asked after Caltin, and if he was okay.
zJxNdnE.png

Jedi Maverick
Codex Judge

aSITfd.jpg

Equipment: Jedi Robes, Jax's Lightsaber
Jax had a sad smile on his face slowly shaking Desbre's hand he hadn't seen her since the battle of Yrverna's Plight. Desbre was one of Aveline's close friends part of the fanny pack or was it the paddie pack? He kept mispronouncing the term to Aveline much to her annoyance, "good to see you Desbre," Jax responded in a hoarse tone. He didn't tell anyone but BB-12, but he was weeping for a few days over the fact that he nearly killed Aveline. The failure still weighed on him and while Aveline for the most part wanted to move, Jax didn't. He can't, Jax couldn't allow himself to be goaded so easily, he needed guidance. "Aveline is still recovering from her wounds sustained at Korriban."​
He gulped when he said those words, his whole body shivering at the thought of Korriban. He didn't want to relive the whole ordeal again, yet here were the memories swimming in his head. "It was all my fault," Jax thought. "If I was just a better teacher to Aveline she wouldn't be so helpless. If I didn't give into my anger I would've avoided maiming her. This was all my fault not hers, Aveline will have to carry that scar for the rest of her life and It wasn't a Sith Lord who gave it to her. It was me. She has to live with my frack up."
"You should visit her," Jax said his voice uneven. "She misses you Desbre."​
Giving her a quick smile, Jax went over to Caltin and gave a bow. "Master Vanagor," Jax said with a smirk. "Been a while. So how you've been? I'm sure you've heard a lot of things that happened with Alliance and the Sith Empire. Crazy shit huh?"​
He was careful to avoid talking about Korriban. Jax gulped again while doing his absolute best to maintain his smile.​

"Captain Rarr,"

Beltran had turned his green gaze to the young Arkanian woman as she greeted him. He recognized Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan from Circumtore. She was one of the Master Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor 's students and had been with him in front of the Palace, fighting Valco the Hutt and providing cover for Beltran and his men to evacuate the civilians before the building exploded. It had been a close thing, and it had cost the life of one of his men, but Team Paladin's mission had been a success. He credited this young lady, her fellow student and her master as having had quite an impact in that.

"Miss Gensan," He replied evenly. Part of the Beltran wanted to wince when she mentioned Nar Kreeta. That had been a dark day indeed. Coming on the heels of their victory on Yurb, the Bryn'adul had launched an even heavier assault on the Silver Sphere. The battle that had culminated on Nar Kreeta had taken the lives of nearly fifty of his men, almost a full third of the larger Paladin Company that he commanded and many more had been injured and required extensive recovery before returning to duty. That was why Beltran had reverted to his original role within the Rangers as an operator, taking a small number of his best surviving men on smaller ops like Circumtore, using the moniker Team Paladin to honor the larger company all the while.

"Thank you for saying that," He replied. It wasn't the first time Beltran had been on the losing side of a battle, but the fact that with the fall of Nar Kreeta they had lost five entire sectors and billions of lives in the ensuing slaughter weighed heavily on him.

"Glad you’re here, Captain. I’ve heard good things about you and your men. Thank you for pulling many of our Jedi butts out of the fire."

Beltran returned his attention to the hulk of a Jedi Master and nodded, allowing his spirits to lighten a little. "Well, somebody has to." He replied wryly, giving the Master a tight smirk. He was growing to respect the larger man. For a Jedi, Master Vanagor seemed to have a decent perception of himself. On the battlefield, he melded well into multi-disciplinary forces. He knew when to take charge and when to allow others to do their jobs, and he seemed far less interested in showing off his own skills than he was in getting the mission accomplished. Not every Jedi was like that and many thought of the Rangers and other forces that worked to protect the Silver Sphere as little more than set pieces in the background of their grand adventures.

At the Jedi's insistence, Beltran went back to his caf-allowing the other man to finish his setting up and go through his warm up. Rather than getting a refill, Beltran placed his mug at the edge of the room by a wall when he was finished. He then peeled off his BDU jacket and dropped to the floor next to the mug. Underneath he war a black, non-descript tank top, which showed his own powerfully built physique as well as numerous faded gang tattoos, dozens of scars and several cybernetic implants.

Finding an empty spot, Beltran began his own warm up. He went through several circuits of push-ups, sit-ups, burpees and chin ups mixing in some shadow boxing drills, power knees and spin kicks just to get everything limbered up. Beltran's style of unarmed combat was as direct as it was deadly. He generally forwent stunning moves and arm locks in favor of more devastating attacks intended to break bones, cause nerve damage and kill.

Once he was warmed up, he returned to the growing group, stretching a little as he did so. He was looking forward to learning this "Broken Gate" technique. Even though he knew very little about what it entailed, he suspected that it would be an invaluable piece of training to have in his arsenal.

53950.gif

Alright, everyone, there may be one or two more joining us, but we need to get going on this. So let’s either pair up or match ourselves with a droid. They are set with the loosest possible mechanical range of motions so they should be fine for our needs.

Giving everyone a moment or two to either put their refreshments somewhere safe, to finish them, or to simply prepare and pair up with someone, he wiggled his arms and legs for a moment. There was a purpose to this that they would understand the moment that they watched. There was a set of small duracrete bricks set up in key positions on a platform. The way they were being held out seemed to show no real value of any kind.

Caltin then, as soon as things seemed to settle, walked in close enough and went to work. Immediately he began with a left-side reverse roundhouse kick into a roundhouse kick destroying two bricks on top of each other. Then he switched to a right-side reverse roundhouse kick into a roundhouse kick doing the same thing to two more. A couple of solid punches later and the six, seemingly useless bricks were reduced to rubble and dust. Standing there, taking a few deep breaths, the massive Jedi Master saw that he had their attention, this little display always worked for that. This was never meant to show off, or prove just how tough or strong he really is, but to prove that the big guy knows of what he speaks and has something to offer.

If you’re here to learn how to fight. Leave now. I will not teach you that. If you are here to learn how to meditate, leave now, this is not the form for you. What I am going to teach you if you will let me is a way to better yourself as a sentient, and a Jedi. I speak for no one but myself when I say this, but being a Jedi is more than simply memorizing a code or learning a few set abilities and wearing brown robes. It means something to be a Jedi. Something that has been lost for centuries, again, this is only my opinion. However, what I am about to teach you harkens back to those days. This form of self-defense is almost as old as the Jedi. Broken Gate is more than Teras Kasi, or Rek’Dul, or even K’Tara, it takes what you have and enhances it, not like the Force mind you, but in almost using an opponent’s abilities, size, and moment against them.

He grinned with a wink.

Not to mention, it’s a great way to knock an arrogant jerk down a peg.

Letting any potential laughter happen, he walked forward.

Broken Gate is an ancient martial art first formulated by the Jedi in the era before the Republic. The style focuses on strong upper body strikes powered by both muscle and body movement, as well as powerful knee strikes and stomping kicks. The defense relies primarily on avoiding or withstanding attacks.

Before the Republic was formed, the Jedi were required to be a primarily martial order. Their training was intended to both develop their self-discipline and make them effective fighting tools to guard the nascent galactic government. Like all of their training, the Jedi taught Broken Gate between one master and one student, although masters would take as many as two or three students if the instruction was hard to come by.

The beginnings of Broken Gate training are characterized by long, deep stances designed to develop strength in the martial artist's legs. Then, repetitive basic punches and kicks are added to improve muscle memory and develop upper-body strength and overall flexibility. Broken Gate schools were famous for their day-long training sessions where students would stay in a prescribed stance for upwards of ten hours, constantly punching and kicking. As training progressed, students were required to learn how to take blows from each other – as the student climbed in rank, the blows would become more forceful.

Broken Gate is characterized by hard upper body strikes and stomping kicks. The attacks are designed to penetrate an opponent's guard through the sheer level of damage inflicted; the art's name was taken from a story of the first Master, Jae Dal, who reputedly smashed open a meter-thick wooden gate with one blow of his fist. Because of the nature of the strikes, Broken Gate practitioners tend to avoid secondary blocks and train themselves to dodge or simply absorb attacks. Lower-level students tend to dodge more, while more experienced fighters could shrug off most strikes. Masters of Broken Gate were legendary for their resilience, able to brush away even the fiercest of unarmed blows.

Yeah, that was a bunch of mouthfuls, and they would need a few moments to process all of the information that he had just given them. Caltin had faith though, as these individuals before him were not only capable but intelligent and resourceful. This was going to be a good class for all of them, and maybe a few more could see the galaxy as he saw it. Something of potential, and not just wide-open space.

It all starts with the stance, not just standing around, but one you have to work on, which we will start with today.

Moving into the middle for all to see, Caltin dropped into a moderately wide-open stance, his feet planted firmly in a way that lowered his personal center of gravity. This would be easy to mimic. As he went into much of the movements he would soon teach, the massive Jedi Master made sure to explain what he was doing as it happened. His opponent? A poor training droid.

Notice how I could still move around easily enough if I needed to, but knocking me down or hurting me would be especially difficult. This stance has even been effectively inserted into most military rifle use. After developing leg strength and proper stance, Broken Gate fighters can stand as if “rooted” to the ground. While this stance is meant to look difficult to move from, it makes the Broken Gate fighter very difficult to push, unbalance or throw. A Jedi does not hit "first" but hit "back," when this comes about, striking uses some hip rotation to achieve its power. Though kicks rely more on the strength of the leg muscles, some hip motion is included. Typically thrusting the hips in the direction of the blow as the attack is launched, will throw the balance off of the attacker. Strikes are performed with the heel of the foot or closed fist to maximize damage and prevent injury to the attacker.

When it comes to defense, Broken Gate tends to use static blocks, absorbing the blow on harder surfaces like the shin and forearm rather than take the blow on a soft target like the stomach or face. The art does teach some evasion techniques, but the Average Broken Gate stylist will more frequently use a block. No shame in that either way, I will often eat a fist to get in a move of my own. The Sith call it "embrace the pain", I call it "intimidate the frell out of them" another grin.

At its height, this was taught in specialized schools across most planets with major cities, Broken Gate was relatively easy to seek training in, but in order to achieve true mastery, one almost always found themselves seeking the elusive 'masters', which typically live off the grid. As for weapons, Broken Gate adherents typically eschew them, they're not needed as your physiology gives you all the weapons that you will need. Many non-human adherents have found techniques particularly effective when used with specific traits of their physiology, such as claws, horns, etc.

Looking around, he wondered if there would be questions, also, the big guy wanted to see just how well everyone picked up on this.

Alright, start with your stance, and let either your partner or a training droid try to push you back, not hard enough to knock you over, it wouldn't work if you do it right anyway, but enough to knock you back. After five tries, to do not want you to simply stand there, I want you to start side-stepping. Wait until the right moment for you, this is not a set distance, it's what works for you.

svjbudd.png

Last edited:
Beltran listened to Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor 's lecture on the origins of the Broken Gate and watched closely as the large Jedi showed them the basic forms. Its basic stance wasn't dissimilar from many other styles, so when it came time for Beltran to take the stance he did so with little difficulty. He stood opposite a training droid, choosing the automaton rather than a live opponent because he preferred to begin training in new disciplines in ways that wouldn't lead to the injury of others.

There were quite a few tenets of the Broken Gate style that resonated with Beltran. Allowing the enemy to land a strike in order to set up an even more devastating counter was something Beltran had done several times in the past, sometimes to his benefit and sometimes to his detriment.

As the droid worked to unbalance him, Beltran flexed his legs and held his center of gravity, allowing his torso to shift only a little if the droid's force seemed enough to actually push him over. On some the later attempts, Beltran played briefly with using the technique Kinetic Dampen (that he had learned from Laertia Io Laertia Io ) in softening the droid's impact, allowing the Lorrdian to hold fast against strikes that would have easily taken others to the ground.

Another thing Beltran liked about the style was the adoption of raw power in its strikes, but he refrained from striking back-waiting for Jedi Vanagor's permission to do so. Instead, he did as the Jedi instructed, working to start side-stepping the droid's attacks against him. They were little movements, nothing fancy like in some other styles. Just get out of the way. Already the Lorrdian's mind was coming up with possible counter-strike combinations in his head. A closed fist strike to the trachea, a palm strike against the chin turned into an eye gouge or a brachial stun with the side of his wrist/forearm. Devastating counters that could incapacitate and in the right circumstances injure or kill his opponent.

When Beltran was finished with the exercise, he turned back to the Jedi Master, awaiting further instruction.

53950.gif

Wow...
That was the gist of what Caltin was thinking as he watched the Antarian Ranger Captain pick up on what he was shown. Everyone was doing a great job taking in what he was explaining, but the big guy was impressed by the skills that he was shown. The massive Jedi Master took another few moments just standing there as he watched. The techniques were interesting, efficient, and hard-hitting, but there was room for improvement or at least a suggestion. The guy didn't need it, but he looked like the type that would still appreciate it.​
First of all, let me say that you've got skills and I am glad that you're on our side.
With another smile and a wink, he stepped closer and began to verbally explain what he was demonstrating, just like before.​
If I could make a suggestion. You already have the power and technique, one trick that I like to utilize is my hips a little more. Do you see how each hit is harder with less effort as I pivot my hips? The movement adds to the strength and you can go further in regards to stamina. The downside of that though is you can telegraph your move if you are not careful. So one thing I do is use my opposite hand as sort of a feint, like this. See how the droid reaches, and I'm still able to pivot?
A simple shrug and he looked around offering one last opinion.
That's what it's about, right? Using your best methods to hold out longer than others? Maybe it's not much, but it might one day save your life. At least I hope so.
svjbudd.png

Beltran watched as the Jedi Master showed him his variation on the moves that Beltran was working on. He remained quiet and simply watched. Jedi Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor was quickly gaining a reputation for being a masterful warrior and Beltran wanted to learn from the best. This wasn't earth shattering stuff, but it was useful. Combat was as much about perspective as it was style.

Different warriors brought different mentalities to the battlefield. For Beltran, it was somewhat rare to face a single opponent long enough to have to worry about feints. Combat for him, nine times out of ten, was about dispatching as many as he could as quickly as he could.

His mind wandered back to the battlegrounds of Yurb, when he had stood before the Bryn'adul Tyrant Tathra Khaeus. Such thinking as Master Vanagor was demonstrating now would have helped him there where Beltran's own direct style had left him missing a large portion of his abdomen by the end of the battle.

"I can certainly see the advantages of what you're showing me," Beltran told the large Jedi. "On the battlefield we rarely have enough time in contact with a specific enemy to require that kind of cunning, but in the few instances where I have had to face off against a single opponent of similar or greater skill, I can see where these techniques would have been very helpful."

His mind then flashed briefly to his would-be Sith master, the self-styled Darth Solipsis. The time would come, soon, when Beltran would have to face him as well. Once the Sith had taught Beltran all he knew, the Lorrdian would follow through on his plan to kill the elder Sith. He did not expect that it would be an easy fight, which was why he wanted absorb all he could from others. The knowledge of men like Caltin would allow Beltran to take the Sith's knowledge by force and survive. Then he would turn their precious Dark Side back upon them and slaughter all those who would seek to dominate the galaxy.

"That's what it's about, right? Using your best methods to hold out longer than others? Maybe it's not much, but it might one day save your life. At least I hope so."

Beltran nodded to the larger man. "Absolutely," He agreed. "I appreciate you taking the time to work with us, Master Vanagor. Perhaps you would be interested in a sparring session some time?"

55491.gif

Des had done her own research on Broken Gate, and as she listened to Caltin's lecture and tenets most of it matched what she'd already picked up. As he went into demonstrating stance and technique she didn't bother waiting. She immediately set herself and went to mirroring each posture, regardless of the other students. She was focused on adopting and adjusting as they went.

Before she'd even left Arkania, a gran friend of hers had taught her martial arts skills and gran boxing. The martial skills had focused on weapons and applying those techniques, along with unarmed variations. Then she'd come to the Jedi Order, and her training with a saber had certainly benefitted from that bit of background training, having already had years under her belt. A large portion of what she'd learned had to deal with footwork, being in the right place at the right time. It wasn't fancy, but it was effective as hell. While it didn't favor deep stances, it did get close to this. Adopting what Caltin demonstrated came almost like muscle memory. The techniques her friend had taught were a mix of hard and soft, allowing it to handle both situations. Working with the Jedi had built upon that as well. Broken Gate seemed to be more of a "hard" style, but it certainly had its merits.

Like Beltran, Des squared off against once the training droids when it was time. Also, like him, she didn't want to hurt a friendly. The first push almost dumped her, but she immediately adjusted her footing. The second one saw her lower her center of gravity in a wide riding stance and easily mitigate the push. The next ones were stronger, and though she didn't look like much in her uniform she was much stronger than she seemed.

After a few rounds of pushing and working on changing the direction of the incoming pushes, and sending some of her own back, she shifted into evasion. Triangular footwork allowed her to change angles of power, putting her in position to off-balance her opponent easily, and full-on counter-attack if she wished. Basic Makashi training allowed her to change ranges and play games of degrees. Shifting a foot to one side just enough so that a slight turn of her torso saw a push or strike sailing past.

Like Beltran, she went through her own counters when she finally tired of just evading. The first came swiftly. The training droid struck at her with a right cross. She shifted her left foot to the outside, pulling her center off the line of attack. Her right hand swept up intercepting the wrist with the edge of her hand and pushed, deflecting as the mechanical arm skidded along her hand. Her hand snaked over the top and locked down around the wrist. Pushing with the ball of her left foot, straightening her leg twisted her hips, her torso followed, firing the muscles of her core and back, along her shoulders. her left elbow came forward, her forearm vertical as her elbow intersected the droid's elbow with a loud impact and shrieking metal pop. Elbow destroyed, she used the momentum of her strike and power of her body to continue on. Her left foot left the deck as her pelvis continued to pivot. Rising partially onto the ball of her right foot, her heel turned inward as she applied power to the ground. The ball of her left foot snapped out, intersecting the droid's knee joint with a similar pop, creating so much wreckage. Releasing the wrist, Des brought around her right elbow, slamming into the droid's throat area. Not the face, not the chest. Both hands hooked onto the droid, left at the back, the right just behind the neck. The counter-motion from her elbow to the throat set up the next strike. Her right knee came up and around as she practically leaped a couple centimeters off the ground into the strike, slamming into where the solar plexus would be on most humanoids. Letting gravity take her, she anchored the droid into a bend and dropped her elbow onto the back of its neck. The machine went down, sprawled on the floor with limbs bent at unnatural angles.

Des huffed to herself. "Reset," she commanded. The droid twitched once, twice, then the durasteel cable running down the center of its arm tightened winding back together. The joint resituated itself with several metallic pops, then the wrecked knee repeated itself as the droid returned to its feet. The next series of counters were just as quick and efficiently brutal. While her initial training had never been intended for battlefield use, it was meant for deadly street fights. It dealt with multiple opponents quickly, and single opponents too. Most of her counters started with limb destruction techniques. She would re-direct strikes to where she could literally destroy what was sent to destroy her, smashing incoming hands, arms, legs. She began mixing some of the softer wrapping techniques from her original system with the linear hard and percussive techniques Caltin had demonstrated. Things that gave her as much offensive capability as they did control. The deeper stances allowed her to become a relatively immobile mountain. She started to get a feel for her 'roots' and use that to strike like a battering ram, but move like water when she wished. In short order, she'd worked up a sweat, using new and old muscles, and generally throwing herself into the training with much enthusiasm. There were no other cares, no other worries, just moving and absorbing, incorporating all she was learning. It was probably as close to happy as Caltin had seen her.

zJxNdnE.png

IT'S ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN...
53950.gif

Starship: Starlight Sentinel, (Dilorian in cargo bay)
Sure thing, man. It's one of the reasons why I'm here.
Multi-tasking, Caltin was watching Des' practice with her droid. The girl was a fething natural and not only picked on what he was teaching but adding her own style to it. It was something that he could appreciate in his Padawan, not because she could fight, but because the Arkanian was a quick study. She was going to be an amazing Jedi Knight, an asset to the galaxy. There was room for improvement to a couple of her moves though, not a bad thing at all. Des' seemed to be enjoying herself and that was the most important thing Caltin was taking away from this. She's been having a rough go of things lately, and that may be his fault, it may be partially his fault, it might not be at all. However, it was good to see her like this.​
Walking over towards her, Caltin waited for the last blow to be struck before speaking up. He went on to explain and narrate what he was doing verbally.​
Great job, kid as always. Could I suggest something? Droid, I am your new target assignment. You're doing great with these moves, and this lock, you're right. What you might want to consider is, instead of the Makashi techniques... yes... I recognize them wink that you are basing your moves off of, you might want to try a little Soresu. See? I waited for the droid to commit, thus it could not alter the attack in time. Your joint-locking is on point, but if you 'flip' the palm like this, it's easier, and less stress on your own joints. See?
Satisfied, he stepped back and clapped the Arkanian Padawan on the shoulder. This was a "win" for her, she needed it and he was glad to be there when it happened.
... YET THE DAWN ALWAYS COMES.
svjbudd.png

Fighting had always been who Dagos was. Not something he had to do or chose to do for fun but it WAS him. Until he joined the Silvers, his whole existence was fighting, he loved it and now he found a chance to do it again. Saber training was a ton of a fun, even with Ryuchi being his teacher but Dagos missed the hand to hand stuff, still keeping to his old daily training routine even though he was no longer in competition.

Dagos watched as Caltin demonstrated the stance and a few basic movements and realized that despite his years of being a top fighter for his age, it would be almost no help at all during this lesson. Dagos had been a star of the competitive K’thri circuit having been undefeated the last three years in competition, those in the know remarked on the vast gap in skill he seemed to possess over his competitors, that same skillset however was almost the exact opposite of what was being described by the Jedi master.

Even the stance was foreign to him. He had built his reputation partly on his elusivity, light on his feet, in and out. Strike and be gone before the opponent could strike back, that was where he shined. The hard power strikes of the form were also not exactly in his wheelhouse. When Dagos fought, he struck with precision not power. He had many knockouts in his time but they had almost never come from a single strike, his strategy had always been to wear an opponent out by constantly making them miss and then overwhelm them with strikes until they crumbled in defeat.

Dagos had paired up with one of the training droids just like everyone else but unlike everyone else it was clear that the young man who considered himself a great fighter was struggling to conceptualize the basics.

He knew what he was supposed to do but instinct and years of training were hard to overcome. As the training droid moved in for its own strike, Dagos could feel himself straighten up in he stance and get bouncy on the balls of his feet as he deftly avoided the attack instead of blocking and turning the advantage. Even his strikes were wrong, perfectly placed as they were, they certainly lacked the desired power behind them.

Dagos hoped no one had noticed just how karking bad at this he was.

Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan Beltran Rarr Beltran Rarr Jax Thio Jax Thio

9FVMzGK.png

Equipment: Reu & Tuene
Tag: Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan

Milya had a habit of slipping into a crowd when nobody noticed, not that she didn’t stand out but that she simply was adept at moving quietly. In this particular case she had arrived toward the end of Caltin's explanation of the broken gate. He had gone into an impressive amount of detail and the young Echani was more than happy to listen about various martial forms, to say Caltin had her interest would be an understatment.

As Caltin instructed them to pair or or spar with a droid she found her fellow padawan and friend Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan nearby and slipped over near her, Milya quietly observed Des’ technique while she sparred with the droid. She absently wondered how Des might fare against an Echani opponent, a small mischievous smile appeared on her lips briefly as she watched Caltin walk over to further instruct @Desbre no doubt he was already aware that she had arrived, she merely pushed a thought to the front of her mind. “Sorry i'm late” no excuse, just an apology..

Waiting for a break in his instruction she walked up beside Caltin and Des "Not bad" silver eyes looking from Des back to Caltin,. "Are you sure your not Echani?" a wry grin formed on her lips.

IT'S ALWAYS DARKEST BEFORE THE DAWN...
53950.gif

Starship: Starlight Sentinel, (Dilorian in cargo bay)
I was taught by an Echani actually. He promised to teach me the art of your people as well, tragically he died a week later.
It was a bad memory, but one that could not, and would not be dwelled on. Master Morneun died a hero and that was how he would be thought of. He could have followed up by finding someone else, but not doing so was a way to honor the memory of the Echani Master he had met at a young age. By not doing so, and following up with another, this way it could feel like the promise could still be kept. It may look and sound weird, but it worked for him. He offered a slight grin in acknowledgment as Caltin was watching Dagos.​
He seemed to be enjoying this a little too much, sure, it was a training session and meant to be fun, but it was almost like he wanted more. The more he got the more he wanted, and the more he wanted, the more it pushed him. This was not some "... leads to the darkside" crap, but it was weird to watch. Walking over, almost absent-mindedly towards the Padawan, he recognized much of the fighting style... it was his. No, he was not taking credit for any of the Padawan's training, nor was he making any claims. However, he recognized the moves, the mannerisms, all of it. This was not training, this was instinctual, all of it. The two questions in his head were simple and obvious:​
  1. Who taught him, when, and where?
  2. Should he bring it up?
Airing on the side, at least until later, Caltin had but one observation to make.​
Stop overthinking it. Don't try to move, just move.
It was a word for word retelling of what he was told when he first learned this skill.​
... YET THE DAWN ALWAYS COMES.
ZhUyygm.png

Beltran sparred a few more rounds with his training droid. He incorporated what Caltin Vanagor Caltin Vanagor had suggested into his movements, working first on delivering the power to the strikes and then working increasing the speed of the entire movement without sacrificing its power. In between bouts, Beltran watched the others as Master Vanagor made his rounds.

Some where taking to the instruction easier than others. Desbre Gensan Desbre Gensan was doing much like Beltran had, taking what Caltin taught her and finding a place for it within her own arsenal of maneuvers and strikes. Others, like Dagos Terrek Dagos Terrek , seemed to have difficulty in utilizing the maneuvers that weren't already a part of their own personal styles. It was difficult sometimes, Beltran mused, to move out of one's zone of comfort.

Still, he silently commended the youth on putting himself out there. Deciding to take a break, Beltran moved over the edge of the mat and found his cup of caf. He took a sip of the now luke warm liquid and observed. He noticed Master Vanagor's other Padawan, Milya Vondar Milya Vondar arriving late. The officer in Beltran half expected Caltin to chastise her, but this wasn't the military. The larger Jedi seemed to take her late arrival in stride and they began to discuss where the Jedi had learned the art.

Beltran had always wanted to travel to Eshan and spend time learning their martial arts. Combat as communication appealed to the Lorrdian, who also came from a culture that was heavily based on non-verbal forms of communicating. Millennia ago, his people had been enslaved by a neighboring race. Their overlords had forbidden them from speaking to each other, ostensibly to stop the formation of any kind of rebellion. The non-verbal language called Kinetic was formed at that time, incorporating the smallest of body movements, facial ticks and the like into a fully formed language that to this day was difficult in the extreme for any non-Lorrdian to discern. A by-product of this also came in the form of the Lorrdians' uncanny abilities to pick up on the body language of others, some even being able to go so far as to read intricate details about another person's motives and mood just by the way they moved.

To Beltran, the Echani were just a different side of the same cred-chit. Maybe one day, he would find the time to travel to Eshan and learn. Or perhaps he would be able to find a tutor among the Jedi to instruct him. Until then, the Lorrdian would have to be content in simply picking up what he could through encounters such as these, absorbing all the knowledge he could in anticipation of the growing conflicts he knew he would soon be apart of.

55491.gif

By the time Caltin made his rounds to her, Des had started to build up a sweat. She was in excellent shape, thanks to years of hard physical training. And the Force could sustain her in tough situations. But this kind of sparring and training was different than running, or even bodyweight exercises, or lifting weights. Though they had their place and certainly she'd done plenty. Sparring and fighting simulations were intense. Movements weren't isolated. It used strength and cardio simultaneously. You had to move in all sorts of ways that were natural but hard to train for except through reps. And train she did all the time. Constantly for years. Only recently had she had to put into practice all of that training. Anse's world, Circumtore, Sepan, Tol Amn, and more.

But her species was adapted to colder environments. They had heated cities and all, and working the mines was hard labor. She was no stranger to getting sweaty and dirty. And in the last year or so she'd been a the Rest, and in various environments, allowing her to start adapting to warmer environs. Des still wasn't quite there yet. It seemed not to slow her down though.

Pausing as he came up, she wiped her face with a sleeve and then went to rolling them up. It wasn't exactly standard uniform. Who cared? His presence gave a momentary respite, which she was grateful for. Listening and watching intently she shadowed his movements as he demonstrated. Then stepped back from the droid and went through them again alone. Not the full movements, but feeling them out and working through the core pieces.

Makashi allowed her to close the range quickly. And the previous footwork she'd learned from Klogan Shieg allowed her to control the spacing and timing and changing angles. But Caltin demonstrated something else, with roots in Soresu. With a shift in her stance and footing, she didn't have to go as far, merely rotate after shifting the gap. Less movement, dropping her weight adding more power. She could bring them off of position in a very hard to counter way. Off balanced or flat-footed, she had all the balance and power she needed to deal with them. And it still fits with what she'd learned. And served as a bridge between that and the deeper roots of Broken Gate.

The changes in hand position didn't give her as much sensitivity to the incoming attack, but he was right, they offered better locking potential when she could apply it. The trick was being able to always apply it. As a Jedi, she had the Speed, Prediction, and Awareness to be able to pull it off readily against the average opponent, and likely even solid, trained fighters. Other Force users? That was iffy. But she'd see what she could do with it, and get it up to speed.

Coming out of her analysis phase she noted Milya was practically next to her. Breaking into a smile she quickly reached out and snagged her with a one-armed hug before slipping over to get a bottle of cold water. "Thanks," she said quietly, pressing the bottle to the back of her neck.

As the two went to talking, and Caltin watched Dagos, she turned her attention back to the droid. indicating for it to resume, but half-speed at first, the Arkanian went to working on the application for the changes. But as Milya was free for the moment, she bade the droid to pause and waved her over.

"Up for playing around some," she asked her fellow Padawan and friend with a grin. Des felt fairly certain she'd get thrashed, but she didn't care. It would likely be fun anyway. And spending some time with Milya wouldn't hurt. Or maybe it would. But not internally.
zJxNdnE.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom