Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addition to Dominion Ruleset

DOMINION

At any point, a faction may declare “dominion” over an unoccupied planet outside of their Influence Cloud. This is a way for factions to passively gain planets without competing with other factions.

Other factions may not interrupt a faction's Dominion. They must wait until the faction has completed it's Dominion to begin an Invasion.

The faction must meet all minimum requirements in order to gain the planet during a Dominion.

1. The thread must have a minimum total of 100 posts.

2. The faction must construct a believable plot for the duration of the role-play and present some sort of opposition for it's members.

Once a faction has finished it's Dominion of a planet, consult a Roleplay Judge to have the Dominion approved and the planet added to the Faction's Planet List.

A Major Faction may begin multiple Dominions at once. If multiple Major Factions begin a Dominion over the same unoccupied planet, the first Major Faction to reach 100 posts in their Dominion thread gains the planet.

This is the set of rules that govern Dominions. The last sentence in green is the addition. Questions & Concerns will be answered in this thread, but please keep the conversation on topic. Off topic replies will be removed.

Sounds good.

Though what if a smaller faction is doing a dominion, has 90 some posts after a couple weeks, then a big faction decides to take it for themselves and gets a hundred in an hour or two?

The first Major Faction to reach 100 posts in their Dominion thread gains the planet.

Whoever reaches 100 posts first gets the factions. It doesn't matter if you have been trying to take a planet for a week, two weeks, a month, whoever gets to 100 first gets it.

Tegaea Alcori said:
Are there restrictions still about one character being in more than one Dominion at a time?
This keeps getting asked, and I don't know why. This rule in green, found under "Requesting Aid", is the only rule that affects character movement in threads.

REQUESTING AID:

1. Both the opposing and defending Factions in an Invasion/Dominion thread may request a maximum of five characters from a Faction not involved in the Invasion/Dominion thread.

2. A character fulfilling an aid request for another Faction may not join any Invasions/Dominions until the Invasion/Dominion thread they are aiding in is completed.

Nothing wrong with asking, it's welcomed, I just wanted to note that it's a very common question. If you're reading this and you've seen another Staff member tell you otherwise, please disregard.

Unless you are aiding another faction in their Dominion/Invasion, you may join as many Dominions/Invasions your own faction is involved with as you wish.

John Harrison

J
Kamon Vondiranach said:
I find it quite unfair.

If a gargantuan force and a small group were to attack someplace IRL, the gargantuan force would probably claim the place first. This replicates that.

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
@[member="Akio Kahoshi"]
@[member="Kamon Vondiranach"]

I've run or overseen more Dominions than almost anyone on the board, and I can guarantee that that scenario would never happen. It's almost mathematically impossible. Like Crazy Face said, it's unlikely. And, worst-case scenario, the rules already cover this: If you need to make those last ten posts, you get five allies -- hire a merc or two to polish things off. Easy.

I agree with John Harrison, however, I do not wish to stifle the smaller factions.

While this ruling will likely stand, I'll begin another topic discussing how we may help smaller factions flourish.

Here's where it seems like a contradiction.

• Other factions may not interrupt a faction's Dominion. They must wait until the faction has completed it's Dominion to begin an Invasion.
  • If multiple Major Factions begin a Dominion over the same unoccupied planet, the first Major Faction to reach 100 posts in their Dominion thread gains the planet.

It's like... wait... so no one can interrupt a faction dominion...... but if another major faction does a different thread for the SAME planet... it's ok??

o_O

It's like a big loophole to be a jerk --- not only that... if you are trying to go real life concept on this..... then folk will still be able to interact while both dominions are in play to interrupt, politicate, or do whatever folk do with media to make stuff look all kinds of crazy with propaganda.

... which means... that is still a way to interrupt the other person dominion.... which is against the rules.... which is... with the new addendum.... seem again.... like a contradiction....

If you are going to say that it's ok for two major factions to be able to takeover a planet at the same time.... then you might as well take out the rule that "Other factions may not interrupt a faction's dominion."

Because REALISTICALLY? .... You had Nazi Germany along with the Axis powers taking over the bulk of Europe... and the Allies did their best to "interrupt" said dominion....

And I know... when I tried to have some jedi jump into that Mon Calamari dominion... folk got peeved REAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLL quick at saying "you can't do that! that's a dominion and we don't want jedi littering it!"

How I understand things basically:

Dominion : Player vs Environment (PvE)
Invasion: Player vs Player (PvP)

I like that you can't interrupt a dominion, but if you want the planet you can essentially race the other faction to 100 posts. Makes things interesting also, not everyone enjoys PvP this allows people to participate and enjoy large faction threads without PvP.

Yeah... but you are basically changing this from a "PVE fight" to a PVP utilizing a PVE against another faction.

See how you are crossing things over? Realistically, anyone trying to takeover a planet will likely have folk go... "wait you can't do that!" .. and interrupt. Allies did it with the Axis powers.

Saying that two major factions can battle it out over the same planet at the same time is the same concept. Still turning what would normally be a PVE ... into a PVP match to beat the other faction via... PVE....

Ashin Varanin

Professional Enabler
Illie, the problem here is that people have been proposing various solutions to this for months and months, some of them ridiculously convoluted. This is almost certainly the best and DEFINITELY the simplest solution to what's probably the most frequently discussed problem with our current rules.

Skye Mertaal said:
Here's where it seems like a contradiction.

• Other factions may not interrupt a faction's Dominion. They must wait until the faction has completed it's Dominion to begin an Invasion.
  • If multiple Major Factions begin a Dominion over the same unoccupied planet, the first Major Faction to reach 100 posts in their Dominion thread gains the planet.

It's like... wait... so no one can interrupt a faction dominion...... but if another major faction does a different thread for the SAME planet... it's ok??

o_O

It's like a big loophole to be a jerk --- not only that... if you are trying to go real life concept on this..... then folk will still be able to interact while both dominions are in play to interrupt, politicate, or do whatever folk do with media to make stuff look all kinds of crazy with propaganda.

... which means... that is still a way to interrupt the other person dominion.... which is against the rules.... which is... with the new addendum.... seem again.... like a contradiction....

If you are going to say that it's ok for two major factions to be able to takeover a planet at the same time.... then you might as well take out the rule that "Other factions may not interrupt a faction's dominion."

Because REALISTICALLY? .... You had Nazi Germany along with the Axis powers taking over the bulk of Europe... and the Allies did their best to "interrupt" said dominion....

And I know... when I tried to have some jedi jump into that Mon Calamari dominion... folk got peeved REAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLL quick at saying "you can't do that! that's a dominion and we don't want jedi littering it!"
Easy there, cowboy. We're not contradicting ourselves - I was very aware of the rule about interruption, as I wrote it. This doesn't interrupt the previous faction's thread, but it also redacts the idea that if you make a Dominion, you will automatically gain that planet. With our move in clarifying to everyone that you can make multiple dominions, there has to be balance.

Allowing factions to make a race out of Dominions keeps 1) Dominions PvE and 2) prevents factions from sitting on planets with long drawn out dominions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom