Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addition to Dominion Ruleset

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
Solution to wording, Tef:
  • Other factions may not interrupt a faction's Dominion thread. They must wait until the faction has completed its Dominion to begin an Invasion.

Would solve the problem, I think - proves clearly you can't jump into the thread in question to interrupt it.

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
I think at the end of the day most Faction heads/players still won't do dominions where other factions are out of simple courtesy. This just gives us the option if a faction starts a dominion and stalls out for whatever reason to jump in. Really right now the two most active Factions for Dominions are the Sith and Omega Pyre, and when it comes right down to it Cira and Ashin aren't jerkoffs.

I added it, but Allaina, I sincerely doubt the problem there lies within the clarification between "Dominion" and "Dominion thread". The problem is that until Staff shines a spotlight on it, nobody reads the rules.

Cause i wanna be a coooooooooooowboy baybeh!!! *gigglesnorts*

Didn't say you were contradicting yourself; said that it "seems like a contradiction". It's an ooc pvp "interruption" via a PVE dynamic to "get it before the other faction does."

Also, from where are we getting long drawn out dominions with 100 limit? The bulk of dominions last anywhere from a week to two weeks. Are you referencing, perhaps, like the smaller minor factions who are on the map and have dominions going?

If so, of course they would take a bit longer, they have a smaller member base and can't rush through like say the Republic, Empire, or OP.

Like, not arguing just for the sake of arguing. Heck not even arguing to begin with, just stating how it reads to me and my understanding of it and how I feel it seems contradicts the whole essence of "One cannot interrupt another faction's dominion."

I'm just eating my Wheaties here, and in the end of the day... again, as I've said it time... and time again.... They are just imaginary planets. It is what it is.

And I'll still be rping.

I agree with what Illie has said.

I also find this extremely irritating that you don't think it will happen. All it takes is for a small faction to somehow make someone in a neighboring big faction dislike them and then it's the end. Game over. Why? I'll give you an example.

TEC is currently taking over Ord Mantell. It's relatively slow going but we're alright with that, as it's a slogging drag out fight against Clockwork forces. Now, say the Mandalorians up and decided they were mad at us because we recently decided not to be their ally, but only entered a non-aggression pact with them, and they decide they want to take Ord Mantell. They have sufficient numbers to steamroll through that Dominion in about a week, where it's taken us about two weeks (give or take a few days) to get to 40 posts. Is that fair? We started ours first, but their numbers allow them to swoop in and make our ENTIRE THREAD pointless.

ANYTHING THAT MAKES THE WORK SOMEONE HAS DONE POINTLESS, AS DICTATED BY STAFF, IS A BAD SOLUTION.

Kamon Vondiranach said:
I agree with what Illie has said.

I also find this extremely irritating that you don't think it will happen. All it takes is for a small faction to somehow make someone in a neighboring big faction dislike them and then it's the end. Game over. Why? I'll give you an example.

TEC is currently taking over Ord Mantell. It's relatively slow going but we're alright with that, as it's a slogging drag out fight against Clockwork forces. Now, say the Mandalorians up and decided they were mad at us because we recently decided not to be their ally, but only entered a non-aggression pact with them, and they decide they want to take Ord Mantell. They have sufficient numbers to steamroll through that Dominion in about a week, where it's taken us about two weeks (give or take a few days) to get to 40 posts. Is that fair? We started ours first, but their numbers allow them to swoop in and make our ENTIRE THREAD pointless.

ANYTHING THAT MAKES THE WORK SOMEONE HAS DONE POINTLESS, AS DICTATED BY STAFF, IS A BAD SOLUTION.
We're not making anyone's work pointless...and I'm sorry you feel that way.

Sirella Valkner said:
I think at the end of the day most Faction heads/players still won't do dominions where other factions are out of simple courtesy. This just gives us the option if a faction starts a dominion and stalls out for whatever reason to jump in. Really right now the two most active Factions for Dominions are the Sith and Omega Pyre, and when it comes right down to it Cira and Ashin aren't jerkoffs.
Well yeah. Cause I'm awesome :p *types it in as Skye cause is too lazy to switch to Cira"

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
Then don't propagate the troll mentality. The faction leaders and staff have already expressed a great deal of trust in each other in this thread. I think accepting that would be the best option.

Personally, I think if there;s going to be a contest over a planet in the form of Dominion, it should be storyline-based, and therefore granted to whoever pulls off the better storyline, or comes off victorious in a direct conflict. If TEC attempts to takeover a planet and the Mandalorians decide they want it, the two should do battle to decide who keeps it - with an RPJ placed to oversee the whole thing and make sure it's not simply a steamroll by one faction. Everyone's due a fair shot at expanding, and you expect conflict when spheres of influence expand to include planets that multiple factions are interested in. ICly, the obvious decider is through battle.

The trick, naturally, is to make it fair and even - if the Sith decided to take a planet wanted by TEC, there'd technically-speaking be squat they could do about it, because TSE's bigger than TEC. That shouldn't, however, negate TEC's attempt, and there's no call for them to immediately give up because another faction shows up (and, yes, the idea of whoever reaches 100 posts first DOES do that - a faction can easily spam 100 small posts and tell a story, yet that means we're asking factions to sacrifice quality over quantity). Better to make the two fight it out and give the planet to whoever tells the best story - and not merely because they got the post limit first!

Otherwise we're really going to see two factions aiming for the same world, one posting thoughtful, in-depth posts because they want to tell a GOOD story, and the other spamming their way to victory with maybe 1-2 paragraphs in a post, still telling a story, but not doing the whole thing justice. Best way to stop that is to give everyone a legitimate means to contest a planet without forcing a race between the two. A decent IC conflict would be better for that purpose - OOC concerns, like post count, really shouldn't come into it.

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
I'll point out Tirdarius that story is still a factor. A judge still has to approve the story of a thread for it to get approved. Just the first one to 100 is the first one to get Judged and therefore the first to get looked over and receive judgement.

I've brought up a way to the majority of Staff to contest dominions in the past. My gut feeling is, Dominions would always be contested, the ruling allowing contest would be heavily exploited, and most threads would drag on for eternity. Like I told a member of the Republic staff the other night, if you really want a planet, invade it. But even then, the argument that smaller factions would get bullied will still be a factor. There is no simple solution to this.

This is why we have RPJ's, and why story will always, as Sirella just stated, be a major player in how the RPJ's judge.

Yeah, I understand that, Sirella, but as has often been pointed out to me, you can tell a story with a truckload of short posts, just as you can do it with longer, more detailed ones. If Dominions start being contested in this way, we're more likely to see the former than the latter, and I'm not entirely sure how that serves anyone. Force forbid, we don't want to see the short-post fests that so characterised TGC. Unless I'm mistaken, SWRP was aiming to bring quality writers together, not appeal to the lowest common denominator. My concern is that this change would do exactly that.

Qae Shena

Super Shaper Puppy!
Do you have that little faith in this community, then, Tirdarius, that you would accuse everyone of intentionally abusing this?

I think this is what this needs to come down to. I don't think dickery will be tolerated as much here as it is in other communities; some things will be rejected for balance and fairness, which is why the Foundry exists, amongst other things. Have faith in the staff, faction leaders and your fellow members and this becomes a non-issue :)

Sirella Valkner

Because I'm a plant.
I mean at the end of the Day Tirdarious you are potentially right. But it's about trust. Right now the current faction heads and players I'm trusting not to be dicks and topple new guys and spam threads. From my experience here they have earned a little bit of trust, and when/if it becomes a problem we have staff and a living rules document. It can and will change in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom