Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Addition to Dominion Ruleset

Not everyone is a jerk, or other colorful forms of the word, but there will always be people like that. This opens the door for people to be that way, and a faction leader does not, technically, have to be involved in the thing at all. Several members could band together to do it. I don't like things that open the door for things to turn into the guys craft shop.

My sole problem there is that trusting writers is good, and something all staff should do, but generally speaking, it's better to make sure a loophole is closed before it's exploited than leave it open and hope/pray that nobody does. In my experience, it's always good to hope for the best, but there's always somebody who feels the need to jump in and spoil it. I've seen plenty of forums where the membership is ostensibly trusted, but someone decides to jump in and exploit that loophole, within the rules, and everyone else just gets ticked off. Not because they've done something wrong (after all, the rules allow it!), but because that trust gets broken to the detriment of the board. Me? I like to trust writers to write well and make their stories interesting and FUN. But wherever you get people, you have ego, and ego often dictates that screwing other people for a victory (imagined or otherwise!) is perfectly acceptable. Especially when you don't break any rules to do it.

To my mind, it's good to extend trust, but it's always best never to leave an opening available for somebody to screw you over because you decided to offer them that trust. Something like this, honestly, strikes me as a perfect opportunity - and, I hate to say it, but can you imagine the smaller factions not being tempted to tick off the larger ones and make their mark by using this opening? It'd be good for them, but bad for the atmosphere - last thing you want is anybody feeling ticked off because one group did something to overshadow the other by a technicality.

Just strikes me as a disaster waiting to happen.

The problem is we can't because of how small we are. I looked at it like this:

We'd been doing our takeover for over a week. Then OP started a Dominion. They had over 100 posts in about three days. How do we compete with that, when our people have lives outside of the game as well?

No, Allaina, what he's saying is quantity often trumps quality and/or best intentions. Because everyone has a life, a Faction that can field 10-15 writers for a thread is massively going to outpost a smaller one of 5-6 just trying to find it's feet. Admittedly, I think no faction should establish itself near a major one to start with, just to stop this sort of thing from happening, but that ship's already sailed :p

Ashin Varanin said:
Illie, the problem here is that people have been proposing various solutions to this for months and months, some of them ridiculously convoluted. This is almost certainly the best and DEFINITELY the simplest solution to what's probably the most frequently discussed problem with our current rules.
Oh aye, I bet that it has been crazy. The object is to find the best solution, and I can respect that. Whatever is clever. As I've said before, not everyone is going to be happy. It's a compromise.

Trust is the key thing. The hope that we don't get a Plan X for the trolls to go crazy on. ( for all who know the reference -- as it was done to show the loophole in the old place's rules)

But folk mature, we have that trust, and .. well.. we RP.

The hope is that with RPJ's, we can alleviate some of the drama.

Now I can see what @Tidarius concern is about the short quick posts vs longer posts. Ultimately it is about story... and he is right.. folk have said that a story can be still a story with quick back and forth banter that pushes the thread forward.

I dunno. / shrugs

There are pros and cons to everything; I would imagine that the basic fundamental principle is that no ones work is invalidated, as every writer here has worked hard to create an immersion storyline to enjoy. This board is still in it's infancy where clinks are trying to be smoothed out and trial and errors are a way of things until we can tweak it just right.

The thing to remember though, is to not take it all personally. Weigh in concerns without the pitchfork. :p

Or train of thought that can get confused... unless you know Illie language to be able to translate xD

Kamon Vondiranach said:
How do we compete with that, when our people have lives outside of the game as well?
I'm sorry, but let's just be blunt here. It's darwinism. We can keep talking about the little guy, or the little guy can find a way to live in the environment provided. I can't help your small factions get bigger, and I'm not going to tell the bigger factions to be smaller.

Kamon, you're on your main account as a member of the Republic, and I realize you're trying to defend your investment in the Echani Compact, but dude - your main is in the Republic. And you claim everyone else in TEC is alts... why should I continue to hold back rulings that make things fair for everyone else but your secondary faction? I'm sorry man, but this ruling's going to stand. I do want to help you out, but you have to understand that I can only do so if the Echani Compact helps itself. We told the Shapers of Kro Var the same thing last cycle.

We can debate this all day and night, but it won't change a thing. Secondary characters make for secondary factions. If you want to really challenge everyone else and build a faction that walks the walk IC instead of talking the talk in OOC threads, you've got to commit, bro.

I come back to 3 pages....

As I see it, this is another case of people getting excitable over something which may well not even happen ever. For a start it'd require the requested planet to be close to two players, and for people to have a real lack of trust and faith in others. I can see why people might not be so eager to do that after past experiences, but yeah....

I can't really see a problem here. If it ever does come up then I trust staff enough to help work things out. Really though, if you look at the speed of the various Dominions, Malastare was an exception to a rule that it takes a week or so to do one. I don't think this will be much of an issue, really.

evidence-based-change-after-peer-review-protestor.jpg

I see my question has sparked some discussion :p

I just point out loopholes when I see them, doesn't mean I expect them. It is my civic duty! Though since it came to mind as I was reading other peoples posts, the entire thing could be solved with only one faction can attack a planet at a time, but if they do not post within 72 hours (or less) between posts the dominion is forfeit. This way either they win or it goes back up for grabs.

That said I totally get the way a race makes it to dominions aren't auto win, and makes factions have to concentrate on their dominions rather than taking their sweet time since they have nothing to fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom