Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A New Faction Mandate.

Hello there, Chaos. It’s me, ya boi. I’ve come to you with another idea that I’d thought may tickle your fancy. Sadly, the timing on this may seem a tad inappropriate since it’s Invasion season, but there’s no time like the present to get it out there. So, my idea is to play a game of Uno with one of the Mandates we’ve already got in place. Defensive Stronghold. In many ways, this Faction mandate changes the way Invasions play out and offers a wonderful boon to the defender. But, what if we play the following card to shake things up a bit?

d11ed5881883684ebd67326f969d43dd.png

23SZN0U.jpg
And presto!

My Idea/Suggestion.

Voidborne Crusaders
Strength: This Major Faction has an infinite number of Requesting Aid slots when launching an Invasion of an Enemy Hex.
Weakness: This Major Faction has no Requesting Aid slots when defending a Hex that they own.

Now, I fully understand the ramifications of this idea, and if it ever gets enough traction to get implemented? Lords above help us when every faction has Defensive Stronghold and Voidborne Crusaders. Unlimited Allies for everyone. It’d be utter madness. Heck, you could even say it’d be… Chaos. ;)

Anyways, seriously speaking now, I believe it would make things interesting for any Invasions with these mandates in play - as anyone and theoretically, anyone could join in on the fun; rather than just watching on the sidelines. Naturally, the rules of approval still apply - as while the benefit of having unlimited of allies is there - it’s also balanced out by the unwritten fact of who you’re taking as an ally as well. Just because you have a plethora of warm bodies to throw at the enemy, doesn’t mean you should - especially with their judgement criteria.

Alright, fellow RolePlayers - lemme know what you think. Do you think this reversed idea works, or do you believe it’s broken and needs refinement? Do you think the name sucks and want to offer another suggestion on it?

I love the idea, but I'm having a hard time imagining major factions actually making use of this. Then again, we have a bunch of mandates already that aren't being used and they're not genuinely taking space up, so why not add another one to the mix, especially if it's on-par with mandates already present in terms of balance.

I like it, I love it, I karking FEAR it. My ONLY worry is when we get to the unstoppable meets the immovable and we literally have invasions that are essentially an entire board jumping in an invasion. That is the only thing that makes me question this because that would be literal hell for the RPJ's assigned and the drama alone would bury a small planet. So i love the idea, but i think there needs to be some safety net in the event its defensive SH vs. Voidborne, Other than that I love it.

[member="Khonsu Amon"]

[member="Adron Malvern"] - I getcha. It's something that I had a laugh about for a few minutes for how outlandishly awesome it seemed, then silently started sobbing about in my little corner of the interweb. I suppose that's the only real drawback to this idea, but then again that can be mitigated by the respective faction's staff. They're ultimately the ones who can approve or deny folks from jumping in, but with this? They don't have to worry about being ridiculously selective to fit dozens of worthy applicants into the standard five slots.

Adron Malvern said:

I like it, I love it, I karking FEAR it. My ONLY worry is when we get to the unstoppable meets the immovable and we literally have invasions that are essentially an entire board jumping in an invasion. That is the only thing that makes me question this because that would be literal hell for the RPJ's assigned and the drama alone would bury a small planet. So i love the idea, but i think there needs to be some safety net in the event its defensive SH vs. Voidborne, Other than that I love it.

[member="Khonsu Amon"]
I'm going to be honest, I would actually look forward to a scenario like this if this mandate is approved. I know that from the perspective of the RPJs it would mean hell on Earth, but this would be so much fun to me. It's the embodiment of what Chaos means to me and I'm all for it.

The clash of these mandates would turn an invasion into a site event.

I am SO down.

ALL MY YES.

[member="Valiens Nantaris"] - You can have my Twi'lekHub subscription if you implement this. PLEASE.

Hmm, I can see this being an interesting opposite to Defensive Stronghold.

Staff is doing a comprehensive rework of the mandates soon and I can see this as being an interesting option. I am not sure it would be unlimited, but we I will work through some options.

Good suggestion.

It looks cool and in the context of mandate vs opposite mandate, it sounds awesome. But I can't help but see one glaring problem.

The Stronghold Mandate allows you to keep what you have. It Problem is that it does nothing to help you gain more(at least not offensively).

This one allows you to steamroll any enemy without the stronghold mandate. Oh you chose the nomad mandate? Have fun dealing with my 50 allies as I take EVERYTHING you own. I get why people love the idea and personally, I think it sounds pretty cool, until I look at the wider picture.

The double-edged blade there is that a faction who takes 50+ allies takes responsibility for their IC and OOC actions, and has to essentially do their best to manage their narratives to tie it into the greater picture. As well, they run the risk of accidental stampeding.

So, like Defensive Stronghold - its akin to the Sword of Damocles when it comes down to the judgement time.

In addition, it also allows for potential growth in mercenary/criminal minor factions as they can sell their members out as "Armies for Hire" to both sides. Stole that idea from someone else, and totally shameless plugging. ;)

[member="Khonsu Amon"]

This is a brilliant idea, hands down. The challenge of trying to manage that many groups already would be a daunting prospect and this would let smaller factions who are good at diplo really hand out a sucker punch at the right moment.

And if we we're keeping unlimited allies for defense it should remain unlimited for offense.

[member="Eyros"] - Shhhhhh u gunna ruin it. :p

[member="The Major"] - *Bows*

Thank ye kindly!

And I agree with you on keeping the Unlimited aspect. As mentioned before the responsibility's placed on the shoulders of the invading faction staff, so if they want to set a hard limit for themselves? The wording of the mandate allows them to do it while being open enough for other factions to do as they see fit.

To the point of this being too over the top if such a thing on a post-based forum is even possible, I'd like to point to this example of EVE Online, which was the first thing that came to mind. It might be hell to judge, but epic ramifications also make for an epic story.

Thumbs up for the madness! Now where to put the Chaos monument...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom