Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Faction A Knight's Promise

Resurgent Narrative

R
lQQtrUR.png
After reclaiming Fortress Excelsior, the Knights receive a call to head to Needan after Ursidaan Elder Makkituq places a call for aid. Upon their arrival, the Knights soon learn that after the snowstorm, Orcinos raided one of the Ursidaan’s sacred burial grounds. The Ursidaan Shamans, and their Warriors are still recovering after the snowstorm - while also helping the citizens of the First Order. They’re hoping that the Knights will be able to recover their sacred artifacts from the Orcino’s submerged city.
o2mwpuL.png
The First Imperial Knights have arrived at Cape Velikaya via Port Mackenize, the trip along the Anadyr Sea was relatively smooth. They left Anishina only the day before, having a little bit of rest their Knight-Commander briefed them on the way. They'll be meeting with local tribe elder Makittuq who aided the First Order during the Nutaaq Snowstorm. He'll provide the Knights with a more up to date briefing and cultural customs they should be aware of before heading to Port Kaasen and heading to the sacred burial site. It'll also provide the Knights the opportunity to gather supplies as it is likely they may be out in the Columbia Isles for quite some time.
tgLv51c.png

Cape Velikaya
Needan

Weather is still better then Mephout.

Those were my first thoughts as we disembarked from the ship.

Reminds me a bit of Csilla, actually. I smiled fondly, then got focused. I hadn't been to the Needan system the first time around- I was chasing down some slavers near the Kathol Rift- but I'd heard the stories during the Knight-Commander's briefing. The humanitarian efforts were fraught with danger from the elements and terrain alone; on top of that, they had to contend with the savage Orcinos.

Which led us, the Knights, to come charging in. I paused, taking stock of scene before us. There was a mix of Army personnel, Ursidaan, and civilians bustling around to and fro, doing what they could to effect the appropriate repairs.

After we meet the chieftain, we'll probably have to make sure we're stocked up on supplies- rations, water, the whole nine. Probably should get more protective weather gear as well. Then we can go get retrieve these objects and go home. No zombies, no undead Sith Lords.

I smiled as we continued to walk towards the Chieftain.

What's the worst that can happen?

Juliana Alderdice | Otzdrava Velexia | Resurgent Narrative | Firenne Van-Derveld Firenne Van-Derveld | Varick Lechner Varick Lechner | Odesia Ursa

tgLv51c.png
Creative Soundtrack: Sabaton with Apocalyptica “Angels Calling”

While the Knight-Commander briefed them on the way to Cape Velikaya, he nodded, splitting his attention between Marionne’s words and the after-action reports that had been filed after the Nutaaq Snowstorm. He lofted a brow at some of the accounts of the soldiers and pilots, and was forced to clear his throat at one tall tale of a cloud of bats tearing one of the Orcinos apart. Varick sighed internally and made a mental note to have a word with the lady in question upon their return to Dosuun.

Making his way through the rest of the reports and the details they had been given on the structure of Orcino versus Ursidaan culture, he finally flicked his datapad off and tucked back into the protective thermal pouch on his belt. Marion’s briefing ended just before they arrived, and he nodded briefly as she glanced toward him.

This wasn’t going to be a very pretty operation. They were going in to retrieve the sacred relics the Orcinos had stolen from the small burial ground that had been upturned in the avalanche. Opportunistic bastards who had earned what was going to happen to them that day. He craned his neck from side to side, a faintly audible crack relieving the pressure that had built up during the journey.

This would be a fine exercise for the group, and he had high hopes for his new apprentice, Juliana. Wise beyond her years and more than capable, she was a student that posed a challenge worth rising to.

Standing as the transport stopped and they disembarked, Varick nodded to the redhead as the group made its way over to the Elder. He looked briefly to Marionne to make the introductions, but prepared himself to do so should her attention be occupied by another matter in the moment.

tgLv51c.png
Creative Soundtrack: Feuerschwanz “I See Fire (Ed Sheeran Cover)”

With her short locks pinned back neatly, her eyes glittered brightly as they stepped off the transport and caught sight of the Elder that was waiting for them. She had listened intently to the Knight-Commander’s briefing on the situation and the datapad in her hands was at the ready should the Elder impart any further information that wasn’t included in his original communique to the Knights.

Firenne was distracted completely by the sight of the sled dogs off to the side of the transport station area. She’d read the after-action reports with a critical eye as was proper of a Sentinel, and paid special attention to the scientific and cultural information that had been gathered. Shouldering her pack securely, she scooted over to pet them, careful to keep her Lupine side in check so as not to bother them.

Eagerly engaging in conversation with one of the Ursidaans tending to them, it was several minutes before she was able to tear her gaze away and realize that the group was prepared to greet and speak to the Elder. Firenne smiled sheepishly and took her leave, trotting back over to her compatriots with alacrity.

“Sorry…” she whispered softly to both the Knight-Commander and Varick, gathering herself into a proper semblance of dedicated attention and posture. Fingers tucked her gloves into her pockets and withdrew a small datapad and stylus from her pack. She had the initial notes regarding the relics and artifacts that had been stolen, but was prepared to make note of anything else that might be relevant.

Otzdrava Velexia

O
tgLv51c.png

She rolled her shoulders, her newly fitted armor had a particular weight to it unfamiliar to Velexia, unlike the betaplast plating she had grown accustomed to. She looked down to her hands, flexing them open then closed as her attention fixated on the briefing from the Knight-Commander. It was almost symbolic to the Knightess, just as she felt the weight of the gear, so too did she feel the burden of responsibility. A newfound determination tugged at Velexia's heart and resonated within her skull as a relentless chatter of thoughts; there was no giving up, nor was there the reality in which she would falter to the extremes of the Force, let alone her own hubris.

This is what it was to be a First Imperial Knight: to put others above one's own ego and shadow; to embrace the philosophy of the First Order's rebirth.

As the group of knights disembarked and began walking towards the Elder, Velexia furrowed her brow slightly in confusion as she watched Firenne Van-Derveld Firenne Van-Derveld splinter off, shifting her gaze towards the others briefly before returning to the Sentinel. A sigh escaped the Knightess as she realized what caused such a deviation, shaking her head and crossing her arms. "A fine first impression, I suppose."

Chuckling softly to herself, Velexia directed her full attention to the Elder, awaiting further talks and formalities.

Resurgent Narrative | Varick Lechner Varick Lechner | Matma Bernu Matma Bernu | Juliana Alderdice

Resurgent Narrative

R
tgLv51c.png

2krwEgN.png

Makkituq greeted the knights there at the Port, not too far from where they had disembarked. "Well met," he greeted as he stood tall and proud. The Ursidaan glanced over those who had answered his call. "I am grateful for your response, and will not waste any of your time. There are four tribes that live on the Columbia Isles, the Blue Claws, the White Sojourn, and the Icewinds. Finally, there is my tribe the Snowcallers. All four tribes lay our dead where you call the Taltheilei National Park. We call it Nanuk's Rest, Nanuk is our patron god he is the Great One from whom all Urisdaan descend, even our brothers and sisters who no longer live in our ancestral lands."
"You will see Ataciara at Port Kaasen before making your way to Taltheilei." He paused and there was shift in his tone. Reverence some of the Knights might later recall. "You will not take anything from Nanuk's Rest, but we ask that you treat the ground with respect. I have spoken with your Park Rangers, they have already sent coordinates to your holos. Before you enter Nanuk's Rest I ask that you take a moment and recall someone within your life for whom you revere. Treat our burial site as if it were your own."
He would then relay the more cultural tones of how to greet the other tribes, and how to trade with them. They believe in equal trade but what was of value to them, wasn't going to necessarily be of value to the humans. Something that many within the Cape and certainly living in the Columbia Isles have come to expect. Makkituq advised that if they hunted or fished within the park to be sure to utilize all parts of their kill. For in death there is life, and life there too is death. Makkituq gave a bow of respect to the Knight-Commander and departed the Imperial Knight's company making his way toward the Taqulittuq Cultural Center.
"We won't have time once we get to Port Kaasen to gear up, so now your chance, Knights."
"There's a few shops here, and more in the Canning District, I'm going to head to the Fish Market and get us some grub," a slight pause as the Knight-Commander looked about. "If there are no questions at this time, you're all dismissed - if you think of a question later, ask me then. Let's meet back here in two hours."

tgLv51c.png
The Elder departed after imparting his knowledge, and Varick inclined his head to the Ursidaan, watching him as he left before turning his attention to the Knights and Marionne in particular as she spoke. "As you say, Knight-Commander. Please remember that Firenne and I are capable of hunting, as you purchase provisions." He added respectfully, bowing his head once more. He hadn't been on a hunt in far too long, and hoped that the opportunity would present itself on this trip, amidst the execution of their mission.

With a deep breath, he turned to the novices, including Firenne and Velexia as he spoke. "Alright. We came geared for the weather to some degree, but there will be underwater travel involved. Take very careful stock of your gear and your weapons. As the Knight-Commander mentioned, this will be our only opportunity to supplement what we came with. If you have any questions, feel free to ask."

Varick shifted as he finished speaking, turning slightly to lead the way to the shops nearby for any who wanted or needed to accompany him for anything. He practiced what he preached, checking every inch of his gear and weapons. The vibroswords crossed on his back in thermal sheaths were already primed for use underwater if it came to that, and the simple, matte grey chain around his waist needed no other precautions taken. While each of them had the appropriate rebreathers issued as part of their standard gear, he did want to compare them to what was used on-world, in case there was something more suited to the temperatures available.

tgLv51c.png
Firenne considered it a small miracle that neither the Knight-Commander nor Varick saw fit to mention her minor transgression. She breathed a little bit easier, though her cheeks were still warm with embarrassment. Her head bent towards her datapad as the Elder took his leave, her stylus flying over the screen at an unnatural pace as she took down the information he'd imparted. Much of it was not news to her, as it had been part of the cultural information she'd studied on the trip to Nelvaan. But it was noted down nonetheless, and she made sure to emphasize the respect and reverence with which he spoke of the burial grounds.

She would give no less respect to their beliefs and traditions as she would to her own. Though her ancestors were some perverted combination of Sith, Nightwitches, and Lupines, she still had a measure of respect for the beings that had come before her, in spite of the fact that she had chosen to walk a different path. Wrinkling her nose as she wrangled her spiraling thoughts back under control, she caught Velexia's gaze and glanced at Juliana and Matma as well, dipping her head with a sheepish smile.

"I spent a very long time burying myself in the archives, or going on retrieval and archaeological missions in the Confederacy. Even though I've been with the Knight Commander for a few years now, sometimes, the old habit of being a little to easily distracted comes back to bite me. It is something I'm working on. Plus, I'm Lupine, so I always greet the dogs...and considering how important they are to life here on Nelvaan, it would have been rude to not say hello." Firenne said after a few moments of silence, tucking her datapad away and carrying on with checking her gear carefully as both the Knight-Commander and Varick had instructed.

Juliana Alderdice

J
Juliana knelt to fiddle with her boot fasteners, irritated at their inability to stay as she wanted them. Her glassy eyes narrowed and she had to hustle to keep up with her master, Varick Lechner Varick Lechner . She felt physically prepared, for indeed she was toned and lithe and had finished construction of her lightsaber after much study, design, and practice. But the tradeoff is that she hadn't had much time to read up on Needan, the Orcinos, or even the bearfolk that the First Order had relied upon during the snowstorm.

"Master?" she asked quietly, her gaze flicking up to Varick's. "I was wondering if there was any chance this might end with a peaceful resolution. Do you think we'll be able to talk them into returning the artifacts, or..."

Her voice trailed off, and she subconsciously shifted her weight, favoring the right leg, to which she had strapped her lightsaber. It's metaphorical weight -- its destructive power and the knowledge that when you drew it, it had the capacity to change or take a life, was anything but subconsciously. Her excitement and pride at completing the device was surpassed only by the dread of knowing that she may need to use it sooner rather than later.

"...if it will have to go the hard way."

tgLv51c.png

After the Knight-Commander dismissed us, I mentally ran through my checklist, as I walked through the district.

I'll need non-perishable food items for sure- I'm not quite sure how long we'll be out there. I'll need something more clothes so I can properly layer, but won't constrict my fighting. Lost most of that on Csilla, and Dosuun doesn't call for that type of clothes, so I'm overdue. So, thermals it is. Probably need something to retain body heat when we're underwater too...

Hm. Maybe a desalination device? It's pricey though. But again, no telling how long we'll be out there- and I'm sure all of us need fresh water. Maybe I'll keep looking though- that seems a
bit much.

Rebreather? We have the standard, but I'm curious to see how it stocks up with what they have here- maybe they have something special.

In the end, I settled on backpack full of rations, a portable desalination device, a body suit meant to better retain heat, some gloves, thick socks, and thermals- I hadn't seen a distinct enough difference between the two rebreathers to justify the purchase.

With some time to kill before we met at the rendezvous location, I decided to head over to the Fish Market to grab a bite to eat- Force knows when we'd have another hot, cooked meal again...

Juliana Alderdice | Otzdrava Velexia | Resurgent Narrative | Firenne Van-Derveld Firenne Van-Derveld | Varick Lechner Varick Lechner | Odesia Ursa

Resurgent Narrative

R
tgLv51c.png

3ZDgYqq.png

Marionne had to admit that Needan's Cape Velikaya offered a type of serenity that few places could. Even amongst the sound of bustling carts, vendors, and the movement of speeders. The way the ice and snow sounded as her boots crushed them underfoot, and how the wind cut through just about everything it touched. It wasn't quite sunset but even so, the colors in the sky had begun to change. She walked along the marked foot paths and noted that work on the roads were being prepared. A detail of mounted police passed her by, both were chiss and from their conversation she could sense their comfort.

The Nutaaq Snowstorm might have shaken the city but its citizens seemed as resilient as ever. Marionne glanced upward toward the sky and caught the slight change from blue to a soft purple hue. TIE Fighters from the nearby base cut across on a patrol route. The Fish Market wouldn't be too far from where she was now, her body kept moving and her mind took in the sights, the sounds and the smells of the Canning District. Up ahead she could see a bridge being raised, a fishing vessel would be entering into one of the few manufacturer's still around.

Dabokova's Potted and Canned Fish. An aged sign ran across the roof of the building, Marionne stopped to watch the bridge and the boat. The way people didn't seem to mind the boat at all. The brisk touch of a snowflake on her nose gave her further pause, flurries began to whisk in. The bridge would be lowered, the boat had gotten through and the flurries continued to fall. Windows began to take on their postcard frosted looks shop keepers brought in what needed to be sheltered. The shouts of vendors claiming to have the best Anadyr Abalone, or even the freshest Salmon could be heard.

A sign overhead marked the direction toward the Fish Market.

The Knight-Commander didn't seem to stand out, on the contrary she looked as if she lived there. A quiet, unassuming brown jacket with hide so thick she sometimes wanted to take the jacket off. Until the wind reminded her that it would be best to keep it on. The mountains that towered behind the Port Mackenzie district seemed to stretch on forever, and she knew that wasn't true. Still, the illusion was there nonetheless.

The warm glow of the lights as they began to turn on along the streets brought some manner of comfort to Marionne. While Dosuun never got this cold, they did have a fondness for the old style lanterns. She continued walking until the Canning District seemed to fade away and the Fish Market emerged. Salt the shoes, someone would tell you, and they told Marionne - watch for the thin ice. She followed the smell of smoked fish, and there she found not just the typical Needan delicies but a few Dosuunian ones as well. She laid her sovs on the counter after making an order, enough to warrant a bag or two.

Marionne then stopped off at a bakery on her way back, to the meeting spot and a few more stops in the Canning District. Two hours would come and go, she found her Knights where they were supposed to be. She set the bags, and provisions into crates. "Alright, let's get out toward the docks and back onto the ferry, Port Kaasen and our contact awaits us."

"Varick, Firenne let's get these crates onto the boat, make sure nothing spills or you'll both be sore for it."

By that, she meant the cured meats that had been delicately placed, and expertly picked. Smoked cheeses, and fresh bread with several trail rations to keep the Knights fed for a week if necessary. Once on the docks, they were taken to a wooden boat that looked to be older than even some of the Urisdaans there. It was as they were told an old age of sail wooden vessel, reinforced with modern materials to cut through the ice a lot cleaner than the newer vessels.

The wood creaked and groaned as it pulled away from its moorings. As the anchor was raised Marionne looked out onto the horizon, the hues of purple had transitioned into a pink and then a soft maroon. An indigo shade began to make its way through the sky as the stars began to sparkle up above. "If anyone feels sick, make sure to dust it in the bucket - unless you'd like to take it up with under dwellers." Those who dwelled beneath the sea would not take kindly to the upchuck of a knight.

"Otherwise," Marionne turned to them, "claim a spot down below."

The boat wasn't picked for its luxuriousness, rather it was picked for its haste and as it pushed further away from Port Mackenize the more speed it began to gain.

tgLv51c.png

Lunch at the Fish Market was everything I needed. I had some type of fish I'd never heard of, cooked in front of me. It was delicious and filling. I washed it down with a glass of water then went to the rendezvous location. The Knight-Commander and the others were already there- and the vessel as well. It looked like something from prehistoric times...but it looked sturdy enough.

I went to help Varick and Firenne carry the crates on board. Then, moments later, we shoved off for Port Kaasen. I had claimed a cabin downstairs, asking the others to wake me up if we needed something.

Which was a struggle. I was at the bottom of the ship; I could feel us bobbing in the ocean. 'Somebody forgot to install inertia dampeners', I thought as I reluctantly cut my nap early. I went to go back top-side, engage my fellow Knights in conversation to pass the time.

Juliana Alderdice | Otzdrava Velexia | Resurgent Narrative Resurgent Narrative | Firenne Van-Derveld Firenne Van-Derveld | Varick Lechner Varick Lechner | Odesia Ursa

tgLv51c.png
Varick took a deep, steady breath before turning to face Juliana to answer her query. It was a question often asked but generally came without a satisfactory answer to the one doing the asking. “There is always the possibility, Juliana. Though, if I am to be honest, it does not feel as if that is going to be the case. The Ursidaans made all of the appropriate cultural and diplomatic overtures as their customs demand. But this is a transgression of a higher order than the usual raids or attacks for supplies. We should be prepared to meet force with force, when it becomes necessary.”

A singular expression flitted across his features as he uttered a sigh as the sound of his words echoing in his ears. It was the truth, of course, but it was hardly going to be comforting for her to process. He would have preferred something else for his student’s first sojourn into the wider galaxy, but this would be a valuable lesson for them both.

In relatively short order, he’d patiently checked his gear and assisted anyone who asked for it, guiding them to the proper fittings where necessary. Tucking his gloves in his pockets, he curled his hands around a warm cup of tea, savoring the sweetened herbal brew that somehow held the hint of oceanic flora within its complex flavor. He purchased a small crate of the tea to be held until they came back through after the mission’s conclusion, finding it a refreshing and fascinating blend.

The two hour window passed quickly and he soon found himself aboard the boat, gingerly stowing away the crates alongside Firenne at Marionne’s request. The boat’s crew showed them where to put the crates, and the Knights soon had things securely fastened down for the journey. Back up on the deck, he savored the view as the ship pulled away from the dock and began its journey, before heading below to find himself a spot and see if anyone needed anything.

tgLv51c.png
With a soft, quiet sigh, Firenne walked with the others as they made their way to the market. She saw to her own gear, purchasing some few little bits and pieces that would be useful should they become necessary, and opting to purchase a rebreather crafted on-world. Everything was tucked away in pockets and her large backpack with time enough to spare for wandering a bit to explore some of the artisan booths and shops.

Were they not on a mission, she mused as she picked up a heavy leather-bound journal, she could easily lose a day or two simply browsing everything these talented artists had created. She did make a number of purchases, most of which were to be held for pick-up upon their return through the city. The journal, however, was wrapped carefully and stowed away in her bag. She had a particular weakness for stationery and artistic supplies, and was unable to resist the siren song of a new, blank journal.

Firenne spared a quick glance for the chrono on her wrist, and caught Varick’s gaze and subsequent nod. It was time, so she lent a hand with guiding people to the boat, and quietly did as Marionne had bid, following the crew and Varick’s lead for stowing and securing the crates. While she did not normally become ill on such voyages, they were uncomfortable for her to endure. Finding a spot for her things, she turned to the others, some of the crew lingering nearby.

“Forgive me...while I normally don’t become ill, it is easier for me to endure the journey in my other form.” Firenne breathed deeply and winced briefly as she shifted. It was relatively quick, and mostly painless given the years she’d painstakingly practiced time after time. Shaking to settle her dark fur, she gave a canine grin and padded over to settle herself into her chosen corner.

//If anyone needs me, let me know. And if you have any questions, just ask. I don’t mind answering.// she added, her mind-voice bright and warm, while her gaze flicked back and forth between everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom