Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

You Hear That Noise? It's Happiness. (Beth)

The Australis-Cadera estate rested regally upon the Westralian landscape, between two rolling hills and a view of the sea. Old growth trees were salvaged in the construction process wherever possible, the sprawling estate built to mimic and enhance the landscape with vast sheets of transparisteel, light building materials and green grass roofs. A massive garden was planted in the middle of the semi-circular house, modules for different sections separated by covered walkways, which allowed the near paradisiacal breeze to rustle through the palatial estate.

It was a gift of love and affection, from family to Yasha. Designed by her Aunt Peggy, funded by Clan Cadera and Clan Australis, the Cyare’se Kyr’adyc was a bastion of tranquility and peace.

And the screams of children, who played on a massive child-friendly obstacle course outside, beside Yasha’s precious garden and pond. While many of the orchard trees, and plantings were fresh, eventually this would be come an oasis for the Infernal’s desire for a botanical life.

Yasha stood in the middle of her garden, stretching out her lower back with two dirt-clad hands.

“I know I should go inside and get cleaned up, but I’m… nervous. Bethy’s coming home, you know?” Yasha grunted as her swelling belly protruded out from an otherwise lithe frame. Her grandfather Girak chuckled softly, and picked up the basket with sprouts and young tomatoes, with Yasha’s pruning shears.

“Think it was any different when Aditya came home, Yaiya? Gosh… I spent the entire time until she walked through the door in my mechanic shop. There I was, dressed in my best trousers, suit jacket slung over a box of parts, tightening a bolt when Aditya finally came in the door and handed me the right wrench. Beth’s your girl. You’ll be fine.”

“Yeah, but what if she’s forgotten that she’s my girl, Papa? And what if she doesn't like the fact Kain'ik and I... What if being away made her forget those years I was her Mom? I mean, not her…” Yasha looked up to see Girak take her cheek in his weathered hand.

“She’ll love her suite. Now for Nereus’ sake, let’s go wash your hands.” Grandpa did know best.

@Beth Cadera

Beth had a wonderful time at college in the Ramikadyc'yaim. It was essentially her first semester in her field - medicine, which only intensified her excitement and eagerness to learn. Thankfully, after her first few courses it only validated her desire to continue with the field. Whether she became a doctor, or maybe a field/combat medic... Well, Beth wasn't quite sure yet.

Although, in truth, it was as much as a healing time for her as much as it was for her educational growth. After the siege of Commenor and the events after, with Baiko and everything else... It was good to have her mind to herself. And not have to feel or think about what had happened mere months before. Without anything else weighing on her. Plus, she just made friends - and luckily, she managed to keep her identity mostly a secret.

She even got a part-time job during the evenings as a singer at a local club. She auditioned for the role and despite some fierce competition, she managed to get the spot! She never realized how helpful it was until she had to request time off for the holidays, to spend some much needed time with her family. It wasn't that she wasn't excited to go home, it was just... She was worried. What if her mom didn't want her to be her daughter anymore? Heck, what if... What if they hated her but just felt obligated to keep raising her?

... She took a deep breath as she walked towards the estate entrance, wearing a simple loose shirt, jeans, some boots, and a backpack with all her essentials. She stared at the door for a moment as she wondered what was awaiting her on the other side. What awaited her on the other side of the door? Although, the beautiful estate on Westralia was... Beautiful. She couldn't believe how beautiful it was. And didn't she hear about a great grandpa being here to?

With a timid knock, she opened the door, "Hellllooo? I'm home!" And have no idea how to go anywhere in this building.

[member="Yasha Cadera"]

“I should send Tuulu out to fetch her, Papa! What if she got…” Yasha Cadera, Mand’alor the Infernal walked barefoot out of the hall ‘fresher, wiping wet hands on a towel. Girak looked up from his seat in an antique Panathan armchair sitting across the hallway paired with a twin flanking a banquette lined with seedlings. “… lost.”

The greying Epicanthix man grinned from ear to ear, reaching out his hand to telekinetically yank the towel out of Yasha’s hand.

“Go bring my great-granddaughter to see her Papa, Yaiya. Before you gawk the girl to death. It’s that human bit… not as hearty as us Panathans but I won’t fault her for it.” Girak chuckled, a rumbling and pleasant baritone in the space.

Dressed in a yellow sun dress, hair up in a braid and stomach swelling with incontrovertible twins, Yasha’s usually stern face broke into an unabashed grin.

“BETHY!!!” Rushing forward, Yasha swung her arms around Beth and yanked the girl into her arms, hugging her so high Bethy’s feet couldn’t touch the floor. “My girl! My Bethany, you’re home!! You came home! Oh gosh, I’m not crying, it’s the pregnancy hormones, they’re a biatch and don’t say that around your siblings or they’ll copy you something terrible and… you’re home!”

Yasha Australis-Cadera was no longer Force Dead. Although she maintained the genetic Epicanthix immunity to mentalism, Yasha was no longer a dead spot on the Force, but a vibrant and passionate point in its’ horizon.

Not powered, but in her prime. A chuckle in the background. Girak stood from his chair and set down the towel in the fresher.

"Yaiya, there's this wonderful thing called breathing you ought to be made aware of... by letting Bethany show you how it's done."

Beth took a deep breath as she glanced around the entrance. Where could she even go? She had no idea where anything was in this beautiful house. She did guess she could just explore & find out, but she was really looking forward to seeing her mom - despite her worries about... Whatever. Their relationship was open and honest - surely there wasn't some issue that plagued them. Hopefully, anyway. Whatever, even if something wasn't right... It would work out. It had so far, right?

She saw Yasha come for her, and yell out Bethy. And for a moment, every worry she had washed away. She grinned widely and quickly ran up and returned the embrace, "Mom!!!!" She didn't even realize her feet were off the ground as she snuggled into the loving embrace. It had been far too long.

Her own eyes watered as she sniffled into Yasha's shoulder. "Of course I came home, mom!" She sniffled, "I missed you so much."

But then... She felt... The Force? She... She had the Force again? "You... You're, wow, you're here," she said quietly once she was finally back on her feet and able to breath. She was so strong, so... There, in that otherworldly Force. She wasn't an empty blip no more, like her father or how she had always known Yasha to be. She was here. It didn't change how much she loved her, or really anything, but it was just... A shock!

"And pregnant?! AHHH. I can never be away from home this long, ever again."

She then noticed the older man, "Great Grandpa...?" She looked at the older man with a wide grin, assuming who he was.

[member="Yasha Cadera"]

“I missed you like crazy, sunspot!” In the click of her fingers, Westralis became a paradise. Yasha’s worries about Beth’s return faded for the embrace of a mother and her daughter, locked away never to return.

Beth came home.

“You were gone way too long! Like come on! I have a belly and everything!” Yasha set Beth down and rubbed her growing stomach. The twins certainly impeded Yasha’s movement faster than Adara or Reyn. It would be too difficult to hide before long, even with the full frontal cape. Reaching forward, Yasha took Beth’s shoulder and pulled her in and kissed her forehead. “I couldn’t tell you via comm.”

Girak took the moment of Beth’s wonderment to sidle up, hand in the pocket of his grey linen trousers.

“She’s wow. That’s my girl. We might have gotten into a fascinating series of events on Ithor, while you were studying. Well met, Bethany. I’m Girak Kierke, your great-grandfather. Call me Papa.” Girak swung his arms open and waited for what he hoped would be a hug. His force signature, bright as bells in the sunlight, was a mixture of light and shadow. The permanent place of a Panathan-born Deacon of Nereus, turned family man.

“I hear you’re another one of our sparkling ones. It’ll be good to have another forcer around, with Adara learning some ropes. C’mere. Give your Papa a hug, eh?”

Yasha stepped back and let Beth do what she pleased, bending down at the knees to pick up Beth’s knapsack with a hand on her lower back.

“We’ve got twins coming, Bethy. Twins. Your father didn't wait a minute after we... well, we got married.” Whimpering softly, Yasha winked. “You’re staying for a while, right? Was your trip taxing? Let me know if you want to chill in your suite for a bit. Aunt Peggy designed it herself, after watching your show at that club a few times. If you heard a gawker being really, really loud, that… that was Aunt Peggy.”

“Nussyn preserve me, that child.” Girak shook his head.

“Now aaaalright, what in Nussyn’s handbag collection is this shamozzle!? Yaiya are you asking for me to grab a box, stand on it, then smack you upside the head, ‘cause even in these heels I’ll do it, don’t say I won’t!” The woman herself popped from around the corner, dressed in the latest sequined fashion from Naboo. “Now unhand that… utilitarian satchel and let Aunt Peggy carry it, ohkuuurrrr?”

Clicking her tongue, Aunt Peggy yanked Beth’s bag from Yasha’s hand much to Yasha’s snorting laughter.

“Yes, Aunt Peggy.”

“Now Bethy. At least your name ain’t as unfortunate as your mothers, bless her my sister was a naming twit. Ought to’ve been a crime. You’re allowed to praise me all you want, when you see your suite, but not before, ‘cause I don’t like empty praise. You ready sunspot? Daddy, let the poor child take a breath, my goodness you two! Exasperatin’, the both of ya! Not letting the child get a word in and her looking quite the woman? Gosh, we’ll get you a bag you won’t regret, sweetie, quick as we have dinner or Reyn breaks something.

Another unfortunate name. Gawsh, it didn’t skip a generation, I’ll tell you that.”

Behind Peggy’s back, Girak and Yasha couldn’t help but chuckle softly.

Beth didn't want to leave the embrace of her mom. She had been worried so much over the past few months - well, really, just avoiding the worry through everything. She was stupid to have pushed it off so long. But, the past was the past - and while she hated the missed time, she knew for sure that the self-growth from her self, well, isolation would pay off. She was loved here - and she loved back. All that worry was in the past now.

She smiled sheepishly once she sat down before taking in a good look at Yasha. It wasn't a full belly just yet, but it was bigger and growing! Right like with Reyn. "Yay! I'm so excited for more si-- wait, do you know if they're boys or girls or both?" Although, she was glad she wasn't full on babysitting anymore... She leaned in for the kiss on her forehead and Beth gave a smile, almost ready to give Yasha another hug before she caught Girak opening his arms - but she was already going into the hug before he even began to move for a hug. She squeezed, softly. Her family just kept getting bigger and bigger - and she loved it. "I am a bit of a Forcey," she grinned. It'd be nice to have someone to potentially help assist her in understanding & growing in her knowledge of the Force.

It was a moment to process before Beth's mouth dropped, "You guys got married?!" She grinned while letting go of Garik, "About time," she muttered playfully. She perked a brow, "You guys made me my own suite...? With like singing stuff?" She asked, her eyes wide. "I KNEW she was there! I couldn't exactly tell, but it sounded right like her." She beamed, proud. "I'll give you guys a show maybe tonight or something." She shrugged, realizing she was a little too full of herself at the moment.

And Beth couldn't help but giggle as Garik shook his head. But then, Aunt Peggy herself. Beth couldn't help but grin and give a wave, nearly going in for a hug but... Peggy was taking Beth's bag. "I'm so ready, Aunt Peggy!" She beamed, "Mom, Papa, you guys are coming?" She didn't really want to leave them or just stay in her room - she needed some serious catch up time, especially with Papa who she... Well, had never met before.

She leaned over to Aunt Peggy and whispered, "I'm not even sure I know mom's full name," as she gave a big grin to Yasha.

Yasha didn’t want to let go. She hid well enough the reasons for her stay in the family home. After too many battles covering her belly with plate mail, working from her office and letting Alkor handle the military was a boon to Yasha and the twins’ health.

“Scans say boys. Two healthy, slightly rattled boys. I’ve… ah, I’ve been fighting in battles a bit… much.” Sharing a glance with Girak, Yasha hugged her growing belly, breathing deeply as Caz taught her.

“We got married! Impulsively, but we… did you say about time!?” Yasha balked at her daughter, shaking her head. “Adara said the same thing. Hey, he was married! But then, it… well… I realized… Caz was excited too, you know. Of course we made you your own suite. We’re family, Beth. You always have a place here, anytime you need or want it.”

“Like heck I’d miss the chance for some gosh darned culture on that pugilistic planet of yours. Gosh. What do you take me for, an Atrisian?” Peggy harrumphed and threw her arm around Beth’s shoulders.

“A mistake. Your Mama’s name is a mistake, is what. Gawsh. A more confounding collection of letters you never did lay your eyes on. Yasha Ghada Nussyn Fitz-Kierke Australis-Cadera. By the Pantheon and the Eye of Solomon! Any longer and the universe itself’d revolt.” Tisking her way across the covered, yet open to nature halls, Peggy continued chattering.

“Now if you don’t think I got the right microphone, you let a girl know, and we’ll go shopping. Not in Mando space, mind, these guys couldn’t make an audio device that didn’t involve warfare. So I had your supplies imported from Alderaan. And your studio is in the room next t-oh, you’ll see.” Beth’s suite was attached to the main estate via a covered path, close enough to see the wide bank of windows and crisp white walls of a bedroom, kitchenette, ‘fresher, and studio set into the side of the hill. It had a view of the garden, and the sea beyond the house, and was furnished with the most stylish items Peggy could charge to [member="Kaine Australis"]’ credit chit.

“And if you don’t like the colours, we’ll change those, too. See how much you like it, sweet pea. Obviously I did a good job. You may praise me once you’ve seen it.”

“Peggy, be humble.” Girak rolled his eyes and trotted after his daughter and great-granddaughter.

“Why? I did good on this one! Top drawer!”

“Peggy!”

“Yes, Daddy.” Peggy stood in front of the door, and grabbed Beth’s finger, pushing it onto a shiny black pad by the door. A small zap was all it took to biometrically pair the locks with Beth’s gene code. “This one’s the ‘baby’s growing up’ special. You ever come home inebriated one night, you won’t have to look for a pair of keys. Just hoof on in. Not that I’m condoning that sort of lewd behaviour! Not like your Daddy, Mr. Wetter Whistle, but…”

“Aunt Peggy, let her in the door. I want to see her face!” Yasha rose up on the balls of her feet, and gently shoved Peggy away from the door.

“Awright! Awright I get it!”

Beth grinned, but tsked slightly. "More boys?! At least one has to be a gi... Well, then again, Adara is pretty high maintenance..." She was joking, of course. And truth be told, she didn't care whether they were boys or girls or anything in between. She was just glad to see that pregnant glow off of Yasha's face. And, still, Beth couldn't believe how bright Yasha was in the Force. She was definitely going to need to ask Papa for a more, well, detailed explanation.

She perked a brow at the mention of fighting battles, though. "Well, hopefully you're under house arrest," she said more seriously.

Beth couldn't help but laugh when Yasha balked at her. What?! It was true! Yasha and Kaine, everyone could see the love they had between each other. Even Bethy, who has had zero luck with boys. "Honestly, Caz probably loves you just as much." She gave Yasha a smile. Really, Caz was a very loving, sweet person who brought anyone into her family. That's why Beth actually had a dozen or so siblings, most of them through adoption! But, with the last little bit, Beth's cheeks turned a slight pink. "I knowww, I just..." She said quietly, "Thank you, is all." She gave her mom a soft smile before Peggy wrapped her arm around her and her loud voice began.

Beth leaned into the semi-embrace. She couldn't help but laugh at Peggy. "Hey! If you were in the club, then... I mean, you totally know we have some culture." She gave Peggy a wink.

The walk to her suite was amazing and she actually sort of tuned out Peggy's voice as she looked through the open halls. Such a beautiful estate, really. Westralis of course was a beautiful planet by itself. She perked a brow, "I think we need to go to Alderaan anyway, Aunt Peggy. My wardrobe is in need of some updating..." She loved spending time with Aunt Peggy because she was literally the embodiment of hilariousness. Beth nodded as Peggy told her how good of a job she did. In truth, Beth completely and utterly believed it. Peggy was an artistic Goddess.

Beth had to hide the laughter at her Papa and mom's reactions to Peggy. She was a character. Beth blinked at the black pad and nodded, impressed. "Wow, that is really nifty... Right?! I wonder how ma--" but then Yasha was pushing Peggy out of the way and Beth hid a laugh before walking into her suite.

Her mouth dropped at how beautiful, amazing, and in general perfect the room was. Her eyes stung as she slowly walked around the room before making her way towards the studio. "Mom, I love it..." She gave a smile before quickly running and giving Yasha another tight hug - although careful for the baby bumps. "And Aunt Peggy, you did the most amazing, perfect job someone could ever ask for."

“Mmmhmm!”
“Hoh yeah, that girl’s a pill in a pea pod.”
“She needs training.” The ‘adults’ around Beth agreed, each with their own perspective on Yasha’s first-born child.

“I’m under almost house arrest. Given a few days off, so I can recoup… and leave the battles to, you know, the others for a… I mean it shouldn’t be so bad! But twins! I was fighting up to five, six months with Adara and Reyn, I’m four months in, and I’m huge.” Yasha shook her head and clenched and unclenched her fists. She let out a hissing exhale. “If I hadn’t jumped off a ship into an arena full of slavers, nobody would’ve said a word.”

“No more, Yai.” Girak rumbled a disproving growl. The man put his hand on his granddaughter’s back and walked on into Beth’s suite. Peggy really did make an oasis for the youth, when she created this suite.

“Wait, baby girl needs a new wardrobe? Daddy get the ship ready, we’re going shopping! Maybe we can hit up Alderaan and Naboo if you’re lucky.” Peggy winked and trotted into the suite, flinging her arms open with a wide ‘tadaaaaaaaa’.

“Yes! I win!” Yasha threw her fist in the air, leaning against the nearest chair in glee of Beth loving her space. The worry of a parent over their child’s room was real. Especially when the child in question was quite an adult thank you, off to school and everything. Truth be, Yasha wanted Beth to have plenty of reasons to stay. Beth was family, and the more Yasha learned, the more of family she needed. Locked in a parapet of the Infernal, Yasha barely registered the love of her aliit at times.

“Some! A shining sparkle in the vastness of Mandalorian drabbery.” That distance faded. Now Yasha was a proud mother, watching her daughter take a glance through her new space.

“Well alright, of course I did! Ain’t you been considering nothing different, baby girl!” Peggy launched through the space, showing Beth her bedroom, her fresher (with bathtub view of the ocean), closet, small personal armoury, kitchen, living area, and the separate studio up a short staircase, built into the hill.

Yasha let Peggy have her moment, knowing the elder Epicanthix was almost as excited as Yasha was. Sitting in an arm chair in the living area, Yasha took a much needed breath.

“She loves it.” Girak sat on the arm of the chair, nudging his taller granddaughter with his shoulder.

“Yeah. Yes! Thank Kad.”

“I’ll make you some tea.” Girak gave Yasha’s shoulder a squeeze and went into Beth’s kitchen to pull out a tea pot and one of the legion of teas Yasha stocked it with. Never too many, she’d said. Producing some mugs, Girak set the tea up to the counter, where stools rested on the other side.

“So when do we go shopping?”

“Peggy.”

But, Adara would always be her little sister. It didn't matter, well, anything. There was almost nothing in this world that she loved more. She missed the lil' thing when she went to University, but she just had to clear her mind from all the things that had happened.

Granted, catching up with everything that has happened since then is a whole other matter. Yasha pregnant with twins! Married to Dad! Wow, the things you miss when your days are spent studying and singing. She perked a brow at Yasha, "Well... I don't think you should be fighting at all when you're pregnant! But what is this about areans full of slavers?!" She gave a playful tsk, but she knew her mom would do her own thing - stubborn! Like everyone else in the family, truth be told.

Although, with Papa laying a firm end to the conversation, that question might have a while to go before it would ever get answered.

"Yeah! I really do! I mean, we don't get a lot of fashion imports on Mandalore you know..." She gave a grin to Aunt Peggy, who was always fun to shop with. She sighed wishfully, "Gods, I do love some Alderaan and Naboo fashion..." She had scoured through magazines through her data-pad on her way home.

Beth was nearly speechless over her beautiful rooms. Once Peggy had finished showing her the various areas of her suite, she stood at the studio for a moment with a smile before heading towards the living area and plopping on a soft, cozy couch. "Wow... This is the most comfortable couch I've ever sat on," she mentioned with surprise and enjoyment. Dorms were not comfortable, nope... Either way, she followed Papa towards the kitchen and sat down on the stool.

"You always win, momma! Aunt Peggy, Yasha, this place is absolutely amazing. I'm never going to leave." She gave a smile, "But, you guys are the most amazing. I've missed you so much, I'm sorry I just... Hid away for so long," she said sheepishly, her long ears betraying her emotions as usual.

She grinned at the mention of shopping, "Now? Or later. We can do later. It's not too much of an emergency."

“Should is a completely different circumstance than must. I’m Mand’alor, Bethy. I cannot deny the fight. Not when Mandalorian lives are in the balance… and they sort of put your sister into a shield pod and yelled ‘first one to the child gets to go free’… So… must, but sure maybe I won’t jump from a suborbital platform again… blech.” The woman who was secretly terrified of heights flailed out her hands. Yes, she could avoid freefall for a few more months. No one would fault her.

Surely.

“Course you don’t! Beskar and durasteel and armour weave. We’ll go. I’ve been dying to get my niece here into a maternity dress.” Peggy waved her hand at Yasha, who smirked and stuck out her tongue.

“I can’t wear dresses at work.”

“Bullwhallop! You’ve got buns in the oven! Ssss! Two!”

“And I’m a proud, tough Mandalorian female. I’ll figure it out.”

Peggy rolled her eyes to the high heavens and began muttering in Epicant to one or the other gods to help her with this unfortunate child having children too young. Girak passed around mugs of tea and leaned both elbows on the counter.

“Stay forever? Perfect. We gave you enough space that you could grow. And it’s near the rest of the kids, but you have your own space and... I’m babbling.” Yasha shook her head with a hoarse chuckle.

“You were never far enough that your family’s love couldn’t reach you, Bethany. Hold to that, and no time nor distance will mar a single moment. Hold to that, and no horror can truly touch you.” Girak sipped his own tea, staying silent as the women talked of fashion.

About to bark at the nearest pilot, Peggy took another look at how exhausted around the edges Yasha was. The girl hid it like her mother, but it didn’t fool Aditya’s sister a lick. Not one lick.

“Now!? We can’t go now! You ain’t had a proper meal yet, and our chefy would crumble up and die of a hunger strike if we left without serving you at least one good meal and a snack! They do that. Lizards… giant lizards. Damn things keep making tuber sculptures out of Yasha if you give them too much time. Frickin’ weird. ‘Can I have a scoop of your cheek, Yaiya? Thank you kindly’. Good food though. And I ain’t complaining none about someone else doing to cooking. It’s some brand of honour to make meals for the ‘mouthpiece of Kad Harang’ir’… Freakin’ pagan… oh alright Papa, alright, I see you eyein’ me. I see it. I’ll stop. Go pray to the shrine in the central garden.” Peggy heaved her mug of tea, and sauntered off to the path back toward the central section of the house.

It was Girak, Yasha and Beth, finally with silence between them. Yasha sipped her tea, eyelids growing heavy with the comfort of family and the exertion of gardening under the Westralian sun.

Girak put his finger to his lips, calling Yasha’s half-drunk mug to the counter before it spilled. He walked over to Yasha and picked her up, a child in her grandfather’s arms, and set her on the couch with a pillow behind her head. Uncannily, Beth’s mother, famously of a nervous disposition in rest, did not quake or jitter.

“You must have questions. Walk with an old man?”

[member="Beth Australis-Mantis"]

Beth gave the tiniest of side eye to her mom. What was this about Adara being put into a shield pod and about someone being set free? Suborbital platform jump? What the kark had her mother been up to since she was in school? Beth was definitely debating on moving her education here or wherever her mom was just so she could make sure she wouldn’t get into such trouble! “Okay, okay… But, you still have to take care of you, momma.” she said seriously.

She gave Peggy a big grin and Beth glanced back to Yasha, giggling quietly.

She took the mug of tea from Girak with a quiet thank you. She took a sip and took a moment to just… Enjoy, enjoy the surroundings, enjoy her family. Feel the love that was in the room. So much, and she had missed so much of it, even from the beginning of her life. She couldn’t help but smile. She enjoyed his rambling, in truth. The space would be nice… But she didn’t even really need space. She had missed than more than life itself. “I mean, I cant’ go back now.” She nodded towards Yasha, “Someone has to keep an eye on her.” It was a semi-joke, but, sheesh…

She gave a small nod as she looked down at her mug with his next comments. No horror can truly touch her… Maybe he didn’t realize exactly what he said, but she felt it. After seeing Darth Carnifex and the darkness that emitted from him. But in this moment, she knew Papa was right. No horror could touch her because she was with those she loved more than anything in this galaxy. Her family.
She perked a brow towards Peggy, in truth grateful they wouldn’t be getting right back on a ship. She could do with a night’s rest, a good meal that wasn’t take out, and a nice, long, candle scented bath in her washroom.

Beth watched as Yasha fell asleep and as Girak laid her on the couch. Beth followed behind, grabbing a blanket from the bed and carefully laying it over Yasha. Then, she gave Yasha a soft kiss on the cheek, “Sleep good, mommy.

She gave a nod to Papa, “Soooo many…” She began to walk beside him and if he allowed it, would lean against him. After all, he was already family. And out of the room, “What in the galaxy happened…? I... I'm sorry I wasn't here.

[member="Yasha Cadera"]

“Truer words, Bethy. Truer words. I’ve got command of the Infernal, but it’s difficult.” Girak watched Yasha nod off, and breathed in relief. It was far too infrequent a past-time in the Mandalorian ruler. “Sleep long, lovely one.”

“You’re here when you’re meant to be. Don’t fill your brain with doubts on what you may or may not have missed. The past is. It’s as simple as turning your gaze. Peggy and I’ve been here. Your father’s been here. Caz. You, however, were exactly where you needed to be and that took a ton of worries off your parents’ minds.” Girak put his arm around Beth and huffed out a sigh. “Which time?”

Shaking his head, the Epicanthix Nobleman kept walking at a slow pace, cognizant of his height and longer legs giving him a faster stride.

“Yasha’s soul was set back together by Ithorian priests on the surface of the planet. Harrowing business, but she did it for you and Adara. For all those things she couldn’t fathom which seemed to plague you. After Commenor, your mother met Carnifex on Er’kit. She procured the freedom of slaves, and... he noticed the change. She felt his energies for the first time, and they fought. Beat his face in. Brain matter on her elbow. I’d be more proud if not for the Panathan culture where your Aunt Peggy and I were born. You have to realize, Kaine Zambrano is a god. My family, the Kierke’s have been deacons of the Gods for centuries, almost back to Solomon, the villain. We’ve been blessed by the gods for as long yet. The black eyes of Nereus, like Aditya and Adara’s, on Panatha would single Adara out for service to the gods and to the Emperor. I mention this only to show how... in our culture, Adara being healed by and favoured is the greatest of honours. But it’s also of our station to expect such things. Course, he can kiss my backside for what he’s done to... Yasha.”

Walking into the fledgeling garden, Girak focussed his breathing to control the rage consuming his bones.

“She won’t talk. Yasha’s always spoken clearly about the horrors she’s seen, it’s what separated her from her parents. But… with this? Something happened to her under Dromund Kaas, when she was locked down in the ruins of Kaas City with Carnifex. Sealed away by an assassination attempt for weeks. She’ll mention certain battles, look at a scar on her hands, but… I’ve never seen… never known her like this. When we rescued her, she was unrecognizable. More wounded than I’d seen a corpse. He wasn’t much better, a bit worse looking if I’m honest. The gurlanins kept her away from every living being for weeks… but she managed to get a respite to see your father, and whatever happened below Kaas City, it was bad enough to shock her into asking your father to marry her. If you can get more out of her, I don’t know.

Ambrose and the gurlanin keep closer to her now. Even when you can’t see them, there’s at least three round her every second… something infamous in the air.

Something I can taste in the wind. Whatever did happen, it’s not finished. And I fear that conclusion could shatter the Empires built round.”

[member="Beth Cadera"]

I’m surprised you can command her at all,” Beth would say without thinking. Yasha was a hard-headed woman, for better or worse. But, that hard-headedness (and a variety of other amazing traits about her mother) kept her family, friends, and her nation safe from the many dangers of the galaxy. That kept their little niche in the galaxy happy, safe, and relatively unharmed.

Either case, she simply gave a small nod at Papa’s next words – she didn’t really know what to say to them. At least, it helped ease her guilt. There was a big, extended family here, one that would not be easily broken or hurt. That was something precious, amazing, and rare. Beth had to do what she had to do to heal herself.

Leaning against Papa, she carefully listened as they walked. It was, in truth, a lot to take in. There was so much that had happened and some of it was stuff she didn’t really understand. How exactly does a soul get set back together, like… Like a broken bone? The mere mention of Kaine Zambrano made her skin crawl and bring an uneasiness to her. She could remember staring at him, the darkness that emitted from him, even in the ship. It was soul crushing.

Beth couldn’t understand why somebody would even want to believe in somebody like that. Why should someone who felt so evil be considered any type of God?

But, her mom Yasha beat the kark out of him, at least. If it wasn’t for how dangerous and hard it may have been for Yasha, she would have been a lot more cheerful about it. “Papa… I’m sorry if this is… Um, offensive in anyway. So I’m sorry. But… Wouldn’t Yasha nearly be a God herself, then? She survived a duel for weeks with the Dark Lord, a supp- well, a god.” Trying to make sense out of religious beliefs could be difficult, even for theologians. And while Beth had her personal believes, specifically in the Naboo Gods, she wasn’t quite sure how to piece it together.

Maybe… Maybe I can talk to her, later? Maybe she will open up to me.” But did Bethany really want to know what happened? She took a moment to think, almost nearly stopping as they passed the fledgling garden. If it brought any peace to Yasha’s mind and newly intact soul, it would be worth every pain and feeling Beth might have. His last thoughts, though, chilled Beth even more. Nearly as much as her memory of the Dark Lord and his terrifying ship. “I… I’m scared,” she muttered slightly honestly. It was hard to really say, especially as she kept herself alive for the first 11 years of her life. And then her raising, her upbringing only enhanced the damage it felt to admit such a thing.

I’ve been scared ever since I saw him,” she said even more quietly. "The nightmares don't stop. Even when his guards first found me... The Mandalorian killers."

But, I don’t care about empires. I care about my family. Mom, dad, my sister, my brother and soon to be brothers. You. We just need to stay safe, together, whatever is coming...” She rambled, her mind mostly in its own thoughts than really paying attention to anything else.

Maybe it was selfish – to only care for ones family. But, she needed them in her life. And, with the loss of her grandmother, that feeling was even more enhanced. She couldn’t lose them.

[member="Yasha Cadera"]

“Grandfather knows best. You have this mythical view of Yasha, and it does you credit. Remember she’s a twenty-five year old widow, who up until a few months ago, was juggling single parenthood and a political career taken up far too young. I brought with me a connection to her homeland, and the comfort of having someone to be incapable of ruling... I’ve raised three girls and learned every girl needs her father. A grandfather will have to do.” Girak kept the pace to a meander. If he could, the aging Panathan would walk through the entire countryside to give Beth time and answers.

“No, Yasha’s something far more terrifying than a deity.” Girak laughed in the way grandfathers chuckled to their grandchildren. “Yasha proved that anyone, regardless of power, can accomplish the fantastic.”

The graven image of the Sith Emperor cast its shadow again upon them. [member="Beth Cadera"] was the least of the exceptions.

“Don’t trouble yourself with asking. If she does, let her. The gurlanin, they’re not telling us something.”

The Westralisan ocean rocked beyond them. Sea air touched Girak’s nose. A girl was scared. Girak wrapped Bethany up in a hug and sat them down on the warm sod, facing the ocean below. He kept his arm around this elfin girl.

“On Panatha, there is no mercy to coincide with might. It is a beautiful, but hard place, where the young learn to survive or are dashed as weak. The Zambrano dynasty has lasted a thousand years, shaping the lands as much as the jungle. Carnifex is... as much a creation of our Panathan failings as he was of his incestuous parents. No love, no softness nor kindness. And yet, he crossed the galaxy for the cries of a terrified child. He spared the sister, left her to Mandalorian Justice, even though by rights the action looked like weakness. His son died in your mother’s throne room and he did nothing against the Mandalorians. Being frightened of the Dark Lord of the Sith is intelligent. He’s fething terrifying. But letting him defeat you? Every night? That’s not an Australis in there. Or a Cadera.”

Tapping at Beth’s temple with his index knuckle, Girak’s deep eyes looked kindly into the scared teenager.

“You come from far stronger stuff. So how do we fix this fear, eh? Shall I draw it out and make you a bracelet of it? A bead of nightmares locked away?” Girak brandished his hand, strings of yellow-good energy flickering through the air. “Shall we inspect that fear for what it was, the continued machinations of a man whose very presence brings an aura of fear with it? Shall I make you a crown of bravery, of your own resilience? You concern yourself with the family, we take care of our own. And when the time comes, help your parents defeat the shadow.”

Beth gave a soft smile as she leaned her head against him. Grandfather knows best, she could respect that wisdom. He had been around longer and had a lot more wisdom than Beth did. She knew that for sure. His words were all true, of course. Yasha had been thrust into Mand’alor at a young age, had a baby, nearly lost the baby… All the while had spent most of her life inside hell.

Beth sighed at the thought – she had such a strong view of her mother because Beth aspired to be like her. Strong, independent, powerful, but kind, fair, and in general awesome. But, Beth had to of course choose her own path too. And she was, in most ways.
She gave a bigger smile at the mention that Yasha was more terrifying, laughing softly with him. “That’s very true.” She gave a small nod, “Why do you think the gurlanin are hiding something?

She returned his hug, and once they were settled on the sod, she leaned back against him. The view was incredible – the Westralian ocean was something else. One of the most beautiful planets in the galaxy – it had to be. She perked a brow as she listened to Papa talk. She hadn’t thought about it like that before, in all truth. Could there be a spark of... Good inside the Dark Lord? Or was it just some ulterior selfish motive? “Do you think there is something, I don't know, good inside him? Despite the… Awfulness that he is? He could have killed me, too… Or tortured me, or anything… But he gave me right back to mom,” she said quietly as she watched the waves.

She smiled as she watched the yellow-light flicker about. “You’re right. It isn’t an Australis or Cadera thing. I wouldn’t mind a bracelet, but no. I have to face this fear myself. I don’t know quite how yet, but… I will." Beth gave a smile to her grandfather before taking another look back out into the ocean. "I just hope none of us get hurt," she said quietly. That would be the nightmare - Baiko was killed by him, would he kill any of her other family?

[member="Yasha Cadera"]

“Ah, the battle on Sabarene. I admit, when Baiko’s situation was revealed to me at first I did not understand. Aditya talked of Baiko as her slave. It is quite natural on Panatha to have them, my dear. Loyal servants who give their all, to help their Masters’ House. But for a slave to leave their station, marry freely and become a parent? This Mandalorian anti-slavery business is astonishing.” Girak knew it was useless to hide the bad for the good, when he spoke of Panathan culture. Just as there were positives and negatives to all situations and circumstances, so there were with family.

Yet, with the Dark Lord of the Sith? Were there brighter spots in the svelte darkness within him?

“I believe there was a great deal of good in him as a young man. His cruelty was contraindicated with his love. We have seen him love his wives, his children. Haven’t we? All this emotions business. Emotions are valuable, but they’re far too… flippity.” Shaking his head, Girak flicked his fingers, sparkles of gold light bursting into miniature fireworks. Harmless razzle-dazzle.

“When viewing a series of situations like the last few months, does it do us less or more credit to look firstly and solely not at how they made you feel, but at the factual events? The fact is, we have a galaxy-shattering entity, whose warmachine is a threat to all free life. This entity has, for some years, refused to strike against Mandalore. He has, since Yasha’s infancy, been party to inadvertently protecting her. When your grandmother Aditya was with little Yasha in the Netherworld, what gave a terrified non-combative engineer the ability to withstand six years of Hell? I tell you, Aditya was a fantastic engineer, and she had a mean left hook, but she was no warrior. When she and Yasha returned, Aditya told me of Kaine Zambrano. Of following his footsteps in the Nether. His wake created a… safe haven through the mire, by virtue no doubt of all the worst being attracted to him instead. Aditya witnessed his escape, and knew absolutely the Netherworld could be overcome. The horrors receded for survivable tasks. As odd as it sounds, he gave Aditya the hope to keep herself and Yasha alive.

When he met Yasha again, he took a keen interest in her development. Sure, he probably saw a person he could manipulate… but he didn’t. I cannot in good conscience say Kaine Zambrano is merely misunderstood. He’s a villain and a cacophonous source of eternal evil… but even the acts of evil men can elicit some form of good. This villain has saved your mother’s life, your sister’s life, kept you from becoming collateral damage on Commenor, spared your life on Sabarene, refused to commit acts of war against your people amidst myriad chances to the contrary, and released slaves the moment your mother asked it of him.

I do not know what the Gurlanin are hiding… I fear it has to do with Yasha surviving weeks without water. Her body should have died from dehydration after three days. No. He had to have done something. There’s a reason Yasha is alive. But what?”

[member="Beth Cadera"]

Speaking and hearing Baiko’s name nearly made Beth’s eyes sting. If she hadn’t already cried, and cried, over the loss of her grandmother. She hadn’t made it out and the last memories she had of Baiko was her telling her to run with Achani. Run with everything they had. And boy, did they. But, Beth hadn’t seen Achani or Azure since then. She wasn’t sure if she could, in truth.

Maybe Beth should’ve stayed behind, maybe she could have done something to stop Kaine Zambrano from killing her. But she didn’t – she ran, like she was told. Beth wasn’t sure what the best option was, if what she did was right. But, she knew she didn’t stop the death of a child’s mother.

Beth breathed in, holding her emotions in for a moment. She knew slavery was an acceptable view on Panatha and within Epicanthix culture. She could understand the confusion it may have been for him. In fairness, Beth was heavily against slavery. Anyone deserved the right to succeed or fail. But cultural differences aside…

The Dark Lord may have been good. That was… Interesting, to think about. Beth still wasn’t sure she could believe love existed inside his soul. He was evil, and that was just how it seemed. But… He had family, surely he loved them. What was the point in assuming, or thinking about it? It wouldn’t change the fact that, despite the Sith’s hesitance to invade or force Mandalorian hand and his seemingly work-with attitude towards Yasha.

It was still weird, though. Beth didn’t understand. Maybe it was her young age, maybe it was just things were too above her head. She frowned as she looked at Papa, before fiddling her fingers together as she thought about what he was saying. “So… In a way, he’s saved mom’s life, probably more than once… And my other grandmothers life. Ugh, everything is so karked up.” She sighed, slightly exasperated.
The more worrying part was his last few words. She looked again to Papa, with a concerned face. “There was no water source down there…? I mean, she had the Force again so maybe it preserved her?

[member="Yasha Cadera"]

“Yes. Yes it is karked up. It is completely and utterly karked up. But, regardless of the level of mother-fething kark, we’ll figure it out. We get to work together now, Beth. You have a family around you and it's one heck of a family.” Punching [member="Beth Cadera"] ’s shoulder lightly, Girak watched the gears turn in her mind. The girl was young. Younger still than she seemed on first glance. The sting in her eyes went noticed, as did the way Beth seemed to doubt.

“Yasha has no abilities in the Force. She’s just not dead to it.” Girak grimaced, taking a moment to breathe. The conundrum of Yasha’s state confused him more than he wished to admit. It was a counter-sign. Something either holding her back, or holding her firm.

He couldn’t decide.

“I remember when Aditya and Yasha emerged from the Warlock Gate. It was the only time in Aditya’s life, Preliat called us. I can’t tell you how fast I got to Mandalorian space. Yasha didn’t know what water was. She was terrified of it, as a small child. Said it wasn’t red enough. As a child, Yasha was tiny. Too small. Frail and almost… human. The best doctors we could hire said she’d never had a true meal. Aditya confided in me, while we watched Yasha sleep. They survived by staying in the Blood Plains… this place which rained blood and saw it flow as rivers. It hid their scent. I wonder… I wonder.” A shrug of his shoulders, a fist pulling at blades of grass.

“It makes me wonder.”

Beth first smiled, then giggled quietly as Girak punched her shoulder lightly. Beth wasn’t sure what exactly she could do, but she would do whatever she could to help. Heck, Beth was still trying to wrap her mind around it all. “The best we can do is hope for the best,” she said after a few moments of silence.

Oh…” Beth said, slightly confused. So… That was a bit weird. Everything alive was connected to the Force in some way, but Yasha was Force sensitive… But now, she wasn’t, yet still connected? Her soul was stitched back together, so maybe that was just the consequences of such? She felt like any other Force user, when Beth saw her. She would have never known that she couldn't actually use the Force, though.

A frown slipped onto her face as she listened to Girak talk about Yasha’s childhood. She knew that Yasha had lived in hell, but she hadn’t known the full details. River of bloods, Yasha being terrified of normal, clean water. Beth involuntarily shuttered at the mental image. It just seemed… Really gross, honestly.

Somehow, this was making Papa wonder about… Something. She honestly wasn’t all that sure. “Do you… Think there is some connection between all of this? Between what happened in the caverns, the bloody stuff in Yasha's childhood, and the weird Force sensitive but not usable?

[member="Yasha Cadera"]

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom