Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wow

Thank you for the welcome! I rather enjoyed Andor and I hope that I can find something like that here. That isn't to say that other aspects of Star Wars aren't as good, so please don't think lesser of me for that. I just find that kind of a chess game more interesting to read!

In light of that, how could I introduce a political character? Should I create an elaborate backstory and just assume that they are already established? Or must I earn the position by starting at the bottom rung of the ladder, so to speak?

Thank you for the welcome! I rather enjoyed Andor and I hope that I can find something like that here. That isn't to say that other aspects of Star Wars aren't as good, so please don't think lesser of me for that. I just find that kind of a chess game more interesting to read!

In light of that, how could I introduce a political character? Should I create an elaborate backstory and just assume that they are already established? Or must I earn the position by starting at the bottom rung of the ladder, so to speak?

Generally speaking lower ranking senators and political figures are completely fine, although if you aspire to start higher just talk with the relevant faction leaders that you may participate in about this to coordinate how high you can start.

Liin Terallo Liin Terallo
Firstly; welcome!

Secondly, about making a political character. From my experience the best political RP comes from the angle of building something from nothing. A policy point, a foundation perhaps, even relationships between other characters. I would start off "small" and let the RP progress your character's importance organically.

Not only will this help legitimize your character's powerplays or endorsements because people have seen you've put in the work & time via character progression but it will also allow you as a new political character to build bonds In Character in a unique way. Political characters really do sink or swim by how willing other players are to accept their proposed influence on events. Anyone can throw on an Emperor tag and rule sectors full of planets of NPCs to do their bidding but that seems shallow to most (in my experience). Starting off lower and then spending time in the political trenches so to speak, helps sharpen your own knowledge about your character's motives & operating standards but also allows others to passively accept a rise to prominence.

Some of the most well received political characters started as pretty low on the totem pole and worked their way up which includes (non exhaustive list mind you, many people have been very hard workers):

Annasari Annasari
Auteme Auteme
Aerarii Tithe Aerarii Tithe

I'd encourage you to look over their character sheets and their posts. Annasari, Auteme, and Aerarii Tithe have all be the Chancellor (political top dog) for the Galactic Alliance which has a very large political character base. They are some of the best writers when it comes to long term political RP.

This character, Sssar, started off as the senator of the smallest 'planet' in the Alliance. While he never went very far in terms of importance he had a long history in the Senate which allowed a certain level of respect from some other senate writers which was really rewarding for me as a player. To see my senator go from a political nobody from a backwater station, almost entirely forgotten about, to a character that was well received & acknowledged as a mainstay of the IC lawmaking body.

If you have an interest in political RP I'd highly recommend the Galactic Alliance as a start. There is nothing preventing your character from changing factions or going their own way. Though from my standpoint I'd say there are few places more established for political/diplomatic RP.

Do you love democracy? This is a trick question.

The Empire also encourages political RP of a sort (Moffs get the most stylish wardrobe). Most government factions will have a place for state officials of some kind. If you want to write a Senator though, rock flag and starbird join the GA.

Welcome! No good at political stuff myself, but plenty here who are. You can definitely find a home here. You can do any threads in first person, as was mentioned, but I'd also point you to the Articles section at the top. Almost all of those (that I have seen) are first person, kinda journal entries. Might interest you. If you're looking for a faction, Rimward Trade League might interest you. Aeshi Tillian Aeshi Tillian who commented above is the head and has the character Mya Jesel Mya Jesel , who is president of Susevfi, the capitol of RTL, which means politics lol.

Last edited:
Liin Terallo Liin Terallo

Welcome, friend.

You can honestly find politically minded RP anywhere you look. Some characters are associated with major factions, some minor, and some independently and brilliantly run amuck. You can write on any planet you choose, any story you choose. The site is a sandbox made for everyone to enjoy and find their niche. You can't go wrong, really.

As others have said feel free to reach out if you need anything. Enjoy!

Dorthea Dobson

Chief Director of Damascus Station
Hi there!

What kind of political RP appeals to you? There are many facets of politics, which appeal to different players, and styles. A simplified version would be, Republic Democratic style, the voice of a struggling insurrection, or authoritarian Machiavellian Imperial style? Internal affairs or international? Is there any particular type of plot that you see your character taking part in?

Also, I highly recommend checking out the Galactic Alliance as they seem to put a lot of work into their structure and story, and they have a lot of long time veterans that can help you out. They are a fantastic option, and you could probably tell an amazing story for your character with their help.

Now, I say this at the risk of being a sniper, but if you’re looking for a smaller, more “getting in on the ground-floor” option, the Nomadic Peoples Coalition is also looking for political players to help expand our story on the galactic scene. It would be a good place to start small and work your way up as you feel more comfortable with your character and the site. And if you decide to tell an ambassador type of story, you won’t be totally limited to the Nomads in your storytelling affairs either, so you’d gain connections and avenues to move on later if you like.

I’m presenting this as an option because we very much need a political character, otherwise I wouldn’t be so forward like this.

There are also many other governments to choose from that can suit your style here.

I’m gonna run away now. :)

Wow. Thank you! I will do some studying on these options and will work on my character. I am all on board with putting in the effort for a position on the ladder! I will check in once it's complete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom