Star Wars Roleplay: Chaos

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wild West Ruleset Update #5: Mandates

Crime Syndicate
Strength: Bounty hunters, mercenaries, and smugglers do not count against this Faction's Invasion Requesting Aid slots when defending or attacking.
Weakness: Bounty Hunters may track down members of this Faction with bounties in this Faction's Dominions, Rebellions, Faction Threads and Invasion freely. Bounty Hunters do not take up ally spots when hunting down this Faction's members in Invasions.

Thoughts?

The darkness lays ever near the light.
Adrian Calipsa said:
Science DominionStrength: This nation has figured out a way to neutralize the Force through science- within its territory the Force cannot be used, similar to how ysalamiri function.Weakness: It's a catch-all solution, meaning allied Forcers have the same issue as potential invaders.
That's a good idea, though factions (like TSE) who rely solely on FUs would then be useless and would have no way to actually do anything while invading while factions who consist of mostly NFUs (FO & TGE) will dominate the entire map. It's a good idea, but it needs a lot of balancing.

[member="Adrian Calipsa"]

Forcephobic Populace
Strength - Within this Faction's influence cloud, companies who are headquartered in it may build anti-force weaponry one production category higher than they usually would be able to. Counts with restricted materials.
Weakness - No force nexuses may be submitted through the codex and placed within the faction's influence cloud. Any dominion this faction starts may be rebelled against by another major faction that has a force order.

Unlawful Utopia
Strength - Bounty hunters do not count towards ally slots in an invasion/rebellion against this major faction.
Weakness - This major faction can be rebelled against by a minor faction during any of their dominion threads.

Just saw Raziel had the same bounty hunter idea sort of

Darren Torran said:
That's a good idea, though factions (like TSE) who rely solely on FUs would then be useless and would have no way to actually do anything while invading while factions who consist of mostly NFUs (FO & TGE) will dominate the entire map. It's a good idea, but it needs a lot of balancing.

There's nothing stopping space wizards from putting on armour, using a gun and fighting like conventional soldiers. Merely requires different tactics and a different way of doing things. There's already been a number of invasions in the past where ysalamiri were deployed en masse. It did not lead to an auto-win for those who had Force-negating lizards.

Much like the common grunt has to adjust to dealing with space mages who can attack his mind, ragdoll him with telekinesis or choke him from afar. Or summon natural disasters and so on.

The Admiralty
Codex Judge
Darren Torran said:

[member="Adrian Calipsa"]
That's kinda the point though. Give the NFUs a large boon - keep in mind though, invasions and the sort launched by the factions with these mandates would be done outside their territory. So, the anti-force effect wouldn't work there.

HK-36

The Iron Lord Protector (Neutral Good)
[member="Darren Torran"],

I fight like a Space Wizard and I don't actively use the Force, there are other sources of power out there. Besides given the current invasion rules you don't have to actually defeat or even fight your opponent to take control of their territory, invasions and rebellions right now are judged on who has a better story rather than outcomes of duels and battles, and the proposed mandate would cover only fighting within the faction's territory.

That said no Force at all in an entire territory seems a bit too much.

The darkness lays ever near the light.
[member="Enyo Typhos"] | [member="Adrian Calipsa"] | [member="HK-36"]

All very good points. Expanding on HK's point, however, perhaps the faction must pick a hex which should be protected, it would add a strategic element to the map game. Maybe even that hex along with it's capital hex would be protected.

Gunboat Diplomacy
Strength: After winning an invasion, the major faction with this mandate active can force the losing major faction to change or discard its current mandate. If it has no current mandate, the winning faction can force them to adopt one.
Weakness: Diplomacy threads require an additional 50 posts.

As an additional suggestion, adding progressing ranks to some mandates should serve as an incentive for major factions to stick with mandates rather than change them frequently. When the mandatory two months are up, a major faction can either change or discard its current mandate as usual, or improve its current one. As an example:

Gunboat Diplomacy I
Strength: After winning an invasion, the major faction with this mandate active can force the losing major faction to change or discard its current mandate. If it has no current mandate, the winning faction can force them to adopt one.

Gunboat Diplomacy II
Strength: After winning an invasion, the major faction with this mandate active can force the losing major faction to change or discard its current mandate. If it has no current mandate, the winning faction can force them to adopt one. Dominions conducted through military might and coercion cost 10 less posts.
Weakness: Diplomacy threads require an additional 60 posts. 2 less requesting aid slots when defending against an invasion.

[member="Feeto Chivaro"]

I kinda like and hate Gunboat Diplomacy at the same time.

I like the strategy, but it doesn't make much sense IC, and doesn't make much sense to force people to adopt a mandate they don't want.

The direction is a good direction (aiming Mandates at other Mandates), I think, but that specific Mandate won't work.

[member="Tefka"]

Gunboat Diplomacy
Strength: After winning an invasion, the major faction with this mandate can force the losing major faction to discard its current mandate.

Strip Mining
Strength: Members of this faction submitting technology that has a restricted material (Beskar, Phrik, Cortosis, Songsteel, Echani Graphite, Ionite, & Pyronium), will no longer require a completed 'restricted material' objective thread and the item being submitted may be submitted at Limited. This can only be utilized in the technology forum.

Weakness: When chosen, the Faction in question must choose a restricted material it has access to on one of its planets (Beskar, Phrik, Cortosis, Songsteel, Echani Graphite, Ionite, & Pyronium). This Mandate expires in 15 days and the chosen restricted material is removed from the planet in question due to the Strip Mining of the resource.

Probably not the best idea, though it was just something that popped into my head at the time.

[member="Tefka"]

Factory's tricky to mess with, [member="Amelia Sorenn-Syrush"]. I'm sure the gearheads aren't happy that I'm hesitant to accept many mandates that mess around with it, the Factory guys have enough to deal with without tracking who's got what Mandate.

It seems that the problem with making a mandate around mercenaries is who or what is considered to be a mercenary. So instead of writing up a mandate that gives extra spots for mercs/bh/other vagabonds, it may make more sense to have a mandates that provide extra slots for allies. A counter mandate may be one that prevents allies from joining either side.

Food for thought, it may be late in the game, but why not make mandates into something like a wild card mechanic. Where at the beginning of each month and/or invasion the major faction may play a mandate like a card in secret, with everyone turning into the staff first so it stays secret. You could do it openly as well and factions will simply have to tread carefully (which how the current system of mandate works)

In the spirit of the Wild Wild West, I'm gonna throw out an idea that might get a few people hot and bothered.

Or piss a few off.

Lawless Territory

Strength- A Faction that chooses this Mandate consents to allow open season for Player Kills in its territories. A double edged sword, this means "join rebellions, invasions, or dominions at your own risk." Players who join threads in the area consent to the possibility of their character dying. Not a Mandate for the faint of heart.

[member="Alkor Centaris"]

It sounds awful, but I love it. It'd definitely burst that protective bubble that exists around all our characters. And since you'd consent by invading...

That said, it'd also be a very strong defensive shield for a faction: if you risked death on every encounter, very few would ever risk invading. I feel like that would curtail a lot of potential conflict and chaos on the site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom